Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 06:27 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peen View Post

I tried plugging both the receiver and the sub far away from the socket that is controlled by the switch but it's still doing it. This is a deal breaker!!! It's for sure the receiver though thats causing it. Doesn't do it when it's off. But it does it no matter where I plug it in. My GF's dad says I need to replace the internals of the light switch because they go bad?

Few other things.

I have latest firmware. I tried the VSX-1020 again on same circuit. No popping with it. The VSX-1121 pops the sub even when it's powered off but plugged in. And I've tried different power cords.

Power fluctuation most likely. Just because it's on a plug FAR away does not mean it's less of a draw.

JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 06:31 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by it.twit View Post

I picked out a subwoofer to go with the VSX-1121-K. Sense my other speakers are Polk RM8s I decided to stay with Polk.

So if all goes well I "should" as of mid October be able to buy the Polk Audio DSWPRO 660wi.

It's funny, I had not even thought about getting big HDTV before, but now... Does any one own the VIZIO XVT3D554SV If so does it play well with the VSX-1121-K?

I love Polk's.

As for TV. I prefer Plasma over LCD/LED etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
luvtotravel's Avatar luvtotravel 06:44 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post

With mine, when you turn up that channel it would get to a point where too much power is going through and shut the whole thing down. I would then go in and cut the line where I attached the Banana Plugs, reattach them and it would work fine. So, First thing I would do is check your connectors and especially the ones on whatever channel is causing it to shut down.

Mine plays music fine. It only shuts off when I use the MCAC. I will be shipping the reciever back on Monday for a new one. I would like to return it for a refund but Newegg will not allow that. The Denon has a much better network interface where you can contol the reciever from any windows pc. The Pioneer has a nice ipod app but you can not control the unit from your network devices like the Denon allows.
Peen's Avatar Peen 07:43 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:

Power fluctuation most likely. Just because it's on a plug FAR away does not mean it's less of a draw.

How would I go about fixing it then?
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 07:46 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:

How would I go about fixing it then?

Like your father said, replace the power switch in the kitchen. That is probably the cheapest solution. Make sure it's grounded correctly.

Try a good Power strip. Not a $5 from walmart, Spend about $30 and get a good one, NOT MONSTER.
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 07:52 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:

Like your father said, replace the power switch in the kitchen. That is probably the cheapest solution. Make sure it's grounded correctly.

Try a good Power strip. Not a $5 from walmart, Spend about $30 and get a good one, NOT MONSTER.

Nothing wrong with my Monster, HTPS 7000 ,rack mounted, surge / power conditioner is 3 to 4 years old and still going strong, and has never failed as well as my 5 other power strips protecting 5 other tv's throughout the house, as well as 3 computers using monster power strips......
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 08:45 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Nothing wrong with my Monster, HTPS 7000 ,rack mounted, surge / power conditioner is 3 to 4 years old and still going strong, and has never failed as well as my 5 other power strips protecting 5 other tv's throughout the house, as well as 3 computers using monster power strips......

FOr the cost of monster equipment you can buy just as good or better and it will be much more inexpensive.
Peen's Avatar Peen 08:57 AM 09-23-2011
Thanks I will get on the power switch first. I live in apartment so I won't have to pay for it

Why do you suppose my new amp does this but not my old one though, it should be a step up at least!?
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 10:01 AM 09-23-2011
Quote:

Thanks I will get on the power switch first. I live in apartment so I won't have to pay for it

Why do you suppose my new amp does this but not my old one though, it should be a step up at least!?

New one draws more power. Fluctuation might cause funky things...Even off it's still drawing some power, see that red light...
cubsh8r's Avatar cubsh8r 12:04 PM 09-23-2011
Why I just setup my new 1121 last night and moving from Denon avr-2808. I have a question about the display. I can't seem to get the 1121 to display my surround back speakers on the display (as XL and XR)? Is it bc I'm not listening to a 7.1 signal? I have sb turned on and hooked up right in back, not using FH speakers.

My Denon would display the signal input and then also show you the speaker setup you were listening to, like Dolby Digital EX (matrix 7.1). I need to figure out if the Pioneer is just showing the signal input and then as long as I have dd ex on I should hear the sb? It just doesnt seem right? I could not find a matrix option.

Please provide your insight? Thx
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 01:45 PM 09-23-2011
^^^

it only displays the input, not the output... assumingmit works like previous pios i have owned...

so, yup, what you are seeing is all you get...
Bud B's Avatar Bud B 07:20 PM 09-23-2011
Hi cubsh8r,

Quote:
Why I just setup my new 1121 last night and moving from Denon avr-2808. I have a question about the display. I can't seem to get the 1121 to display my surround back speakers on the display (as XL and XR)? Is it bc I'm not listening to a 7.1 signal? I have sb turned on and hooked up right in back, not using FH speakers.

You need to use the Surround Left & Right and not the Surround BACK Left & Right.
If you just have a 5.1 setup then you do not use the Surround BACK speakers.
Look on Page 14 in the OP Manual. "Standard Surround Connection"

Bud B
HDClown's Avatar HDClown 08:23 PM 09-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsh8r View Post

My Denon would display the signal input and then also show you the speaker setup you were listening to, like Dolby Digital EX (matrix 7.1). I need to figure out if the Pioneer is just showing the signal input and then as long as I have dd ex on I should hear the sb? It just doesnt seem right? I could not find a matrix option.

Please provide your insight? Thx

If you have an iPhone or iPad, iControlAV2 can be used to see both audio/video input and output
it.twit's Avatar it.twit 07:01 AM 09-24-2011
The VSX-1121-K is on sale for $500.00 over at Newegg.com This time it's gettable via the "in the shopping cart deal" As usual the weekend is here and so is the $300 off deal. If you want it for this price get it N O W ! This price might last 12 hours or even 48 hours. But this being NewEgg I would not waist any time in getting the VSX-1121-K.
I found a promo code from Fat Wallet . com that offers the VSX-1121 for $479.99 that is $320.00 off the price. The code is "PIO924"
Good luck.

HDClown's Avatar HDClown 08:35 AM 09-24-2011
What audio modes do you guys use for TV broadcasts that are only 2 channel? My DVR outputs "Dolby Digital 2.0" for these broadcasts. If I use the auto mode, it just chooses stereo, but I like to use modes that do emulated surround sound. I always found that my Onkyo 806 did a good job of this.

Optimum Surround, PLII Movie, and TV Surround seem to be the most logical choices. However, Optimum Surround doesn't seem to ever engage my rear speakers, it only offers 2.1, so I haven't been using it, has anyone else seen similar?

So I have been playing with PLII Movie and TV Surround for Dolby 2.0 TV broadcasts, and they both seem to be identical. What's supposed to be special about TV Surround? Anyone know if it does dialog boost/normalization, or do anything to deal with loud commercials?

Kind of related, I'm kind of disappointed there is no way to make ALC be forced into 5.1 surround mode. This sounds like it would be a good mode for a lot of TV to get normalization of low dialog, and also not have some action scene come out blarring, but again, I prefer emulated surround mode, so it's only useful to me when the broadcast is actual DD5.1.
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 10:28 AM 09-24-2011
Quote:

FOr the cost of monster equipment you can buy just as good or better and it will be much more inexpensive.

Your previous post directed a comment on don't buy monster, where the comment is more directed to not buy it, rather expressing your taste of the price of the product, next time give some examples of models for someone to make up their own mind when comparing, anyone can mis-lead their posts just because they don't personally like a brand for any such reason.

I agree some Monster products are very expensive, I don't buy Monster HDMI cables, I buy another brand, but I don't make posts not to buy them just because of my opinion....

All I'm asking is please be subjective in your posts, give an opinion, give a reason why or give an example of what your trying to compare to ( give a model # of a comparable brand ) , and let the posters decide for themselves.. Thanks.
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 10:30 AM 09-24-2011
Quote:

The VSX-1121-K is on sale for $500.00 over at Newegg.com This time it's gettable via the "in the shopping cart deal" As usual the weekend is here and so is the $300 off deal. If you want it for this price get it N O W ! This price might last 12 hours or even 48 hours. But this being NewEgg I would not waist any time in getting the VSX-1121-K.
I found a promo code from Fat Wallet . com that offers the VSX-1121 for $479.99 that is $320.00 off the price. The code is "PIO924"
Good luck.

OH, I had good luck all right...
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 10:30 AM 09-24-2011
Quote:

Good luck.

I don't believe it
The promo code worked...
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 10:32 AM 09-24-2011
Quote:

Your previous post directed a comment on don't buy monster, where the comment is more directed to not buy it, rather expressing your taste of the price of the product, next time give some examples of models for someone to make up their own mind when comparing, anyone can mis-lead their posts just because they don't personally like a brand for any such reason.

I agree some Monster products are very expensive, I don't buy Monster HDMI cables, I buy another brand, but I don't make posts not to buy them just because of my opinion....

All I'm asking is please be subjective in your posts, give an opinion, give a reason why or give an example of what your trying to compare to ( give a model # of a comparable brand ) , and let the posters decide for themselves.. Thanks.

I will always tell people not to buy monsters, and yes I have Monster products. Overpriced products that you can get for fraction of the cost with other brands...Just like I will tell people to not buy bose. It's all Marketing and people do not know any better.
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 10:33 AM 09-24-2011
Quote:

I don't believe it
The promo code worked...

SHHHHHHH! If you buy keep it quiet.
ace1281's Avatar ace1281 11:11 AM 09-24-2011
Quick question for you guys. Is the front panel of the 1121 glossy like the 1021? On the stock pictures it looks like flat black. Thanks
mwolfman321's Avatar mwolfman321 01:48 PM 09-24-2011
Quote:

OH, I had good luck all right...

yeah I just saw that deal myself and pulled the trigger I was debating on this one and someone had the yamaha v871 for 542, which I was interested in, I know the sound on the 871 was excellent, hope the pioneer can match the quality.
Greg Robinson's Avatar Greg Robinson 02:49 PM 09-24-2011
Can anyone tell me what is the best/recommended listening mode for lossless soundtracks that are bistreamed from Blu-ray? I would have thought that Stream Direct would be the pure/unprocessed (just decoded) option - but in the owner's manual, it reads like TrueHD in Stream Direct gives me Dolby Digital EX and DTS-HD Master Audio in Stream Direct mode gives me DTS-HD. ???

I listened to Dark Knight (TrueHD) - the bank robbery opening - and the music didn't sound right. Hard to explain exactly what was off, but it just sounded wrong. Voices were fine and bass was good, but the mid-level frequencies sounded muddy, for lack of a better word. What mode should give me the purest reproduction of the native TrueHD stream?

Thanks....
nc88keyz's Avatar nc88keyz 07:26 PM 09-24-2011
Hey,

I read this thread pretty well. Im looking for re-assurance that I made the right decision to get the PIO VXS1121 vs. the YAMMY RX-A1000.

Other than the dual hdmii and a few less component video inputs,triggers it seems like techwise its very good. This is a rec-room AVR for my Athena Micra 6 set with sub, I have a 73 3d-DLP,

Replacing a Sony 5300ES there.

Newegg knocked off 25 off of 479.99 today for me for an order snaffu. I originally ordered the yamaha and cancelled. Replaced order for the Pioneer.I hear the amp/ps section is very similar to its ELITE sibling. Good to know.

I enjoy airplay immensely on my AVR4311 Denon. So Im hoping this will satisfy me. Will be connecting directv HD DVR, ps3, xbox 360 , Wii and HTPC/GTX460 combo. This way i wont have to get an Atv2, I do have a boxee box too. Not sure if im sending this back though or not.

My only upset is 1 hdmi vs 2/ I wanted to drive a second display via cat5 /hdmi baluns that is a vizio 26" 1080p set,

Should passthrough support DVR to VIZIO tv in guest bedroom? Is that what HDMI passthrough will achieve. Obviously I will have to have an HDMI switch / amp of sorts to get that arrangement working with the 73" primary display and vizio 1080p 26" . Yes?

Airplay=check
Preouts=check
Very Cool IPAD Support=check
Impressive Gui=Check.

Ive owned ESx3, Denon, and now Pioneer.

This receiver seems like it has sooo much bang for the buck and good quality insides....I did a good thing????? Right???

Newegg RX-A1000 = Cancelled
Newegg VSX-1121 = Charged

Yamaha app, is slightly better than the denon factory app on ios, but the pioneer native ipad app rulez (from the demo anyways).

Im going to end up with a hdmi splitter with 3 outs i think. One for HDMI1 on Mits 73" , One for HDMI2 on Mits 73" and one for HDMI 1 on Vizio26" 1080p display.

Why run same hdmi to diff inputs on the DLP...Simple, One input is set in 3d Mode, and the other is not, Just make a quick key on the harmony called " 3DMode" . that switched to HDMI2, Keeps the color settings correct for 2D and torch mode 3D...Those Mitsubishi teals suck on the 833, 835 models. Cheaper than a new tv though.
shaston's Avatar shaston 08:03 AM 09-25-2011
I am considering purchasing the 1121 to replace my 6 year old Elite 74. I have a question in regards to Airplay. Does the 1121 have wireless capability built in or does it need to be connected via Ethernet or wireless adapter? Tks
nc88keyz's Avatar nc88keyz 08:06 AM 09-25-2011
ethernet or wireless bridge . Bridges are pretty cheap these days , there are ones that run dd-wrt pretty effortlessly.

Pioneer also has a ready solution:

AS-WL300
nc88keyz's Avatar nc88keyz 08:42 AM 09-25-2011
might wanna wait it out a few days. The egg had the 1121-k for 479 this weekend with free s/h . Tax varies depending on where you are. The code PIO924 indicated the date of expiration.
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 10:08 AM 09-25-2011
Quote:

Good luck.

Just shipped for $179.99
On sale for $499.99 then the PIO924 Promo takes $320 off the current price.

Total, 179.99.

Thanks IT for the heads up!
EliaZinn's Avatar EliaZinn 12:20 PM 09-25-2011
Guys, I am not an expert like some of you although I follow the forums, thanx for the good info. I currently own a VSX1120, I am very happy with it although am considering upgrading to the 1121 in order to have AirPlay functionality. My question is, what do you recommend I do with my 1120? Sell it on eBay and not get much $$ for it? Or connect the 2 together? Use it in another room? Or any other suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Eric-
nc88keyz's Avatar nc88keyz 12:30 PM 09-25-2011
Quote:

Just shipped for $179.99
On sale for $499.99 then the PIO924 Promo takes $320 off the current price.

Total, 179.99.

Thanks IT for the heads up!

Seriously, if you got one of these for $179.99 there had to be an angel looking over your newegg account, just as they changed the price from promo at $799 - $320 coupon,to $499.99 - $320 coupon......OR

You are smoking some really good smack. If so, I want the name of your hookup!!!!

Im betting on the third reason: Just a simple,borning typo on a Sunday.
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop