post #541 of 3298 Old 10-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy10 View Post

This thing is a beast!
I set it next to my old Sony STR-DG710 6.1 and wow....What a size and weight difference. I give props to the sony though. It definitely kicked out some power for what it was. The 1121 is noticeably clearer and true sounding...

Couple of things I've noticed.
I should of bought banana plugs a long time ago.

I powered down the 1121 and set the speakers to 6ohms.

MACC wanted to set my LCR to "Large". This effectively deadens the volume and makes me question if my sub is even on. (had to walk over and touch the subs cone) I set them to small and the sub comes back to life.
The MACC did an awful job setting the levels for my center and Left front speaker. Way to low! So i defaulted back to everything at even for the time being.
Did the same to me, went back in and set to small. jag
Does the "update firmware" over the internet work? I keep getting an error when trying to connect message. The receiver is hard wired to a LAN connection and can be detected over my LAN.

Not working for me either, I am getting some cool internet stations also!! jag

I have a single MONO RCA type cable running from the LFE on my subs amp to the single RCA output on the 1121. Should I get a Y adapter and use the first connection? My hunch is its not needed.

JAG, how do your surrounds sound? Do they feel drowned out by the LCR's? Perhaps go with the a4.mtm's for surrounds? Thoughts?
Sooooooooooooooooooo itching to just pull the trigger and get the a6 towers, center and a4 surrounds! Hell, Just bought another 100ft of 14gauge off monoprice in anticipation.

No A4.b are plenty they are big at least compared to my old surrounds!...Just do it!! jag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3298 Old 10-27-2011, 01:56 PM

The way my stand is designed I barley have enough room for the reciever, is it possible to remove the feet? That would give me the right amount of clearance for my HDMI cords. Anyone remove the feet?
post #543 of 3298 Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ventilation above unit? Heat does rise...

I am biting the bullet and getting a new stand. Ikea and milk crates no more!
Kinda funny, but I was just looking for a new stand like an hour ago. Quick browsing led me to this site.
http://www.furnitech.com/index.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Furnitech-FT72...9750687&sr=8-1
This one comes in 60" & 70" it seems.
I think I am going with this if its got enough space in it for everything I want.

Back to your question, how much space above the 1121 is required in real world conditions?
post #544 of 3298 Old 10-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Jag,
Quote:

How in the heck do you program the remote I have been trying for two hours with no success. Please help.

In what way are you trying to program the remote?
1) Are you trying to add other equipment to your OEM Pioneer remote such as TV, DVD, Etc... which is discussed on page 54 of the OP Manual.
OR
2) Are you trying to change or Set the Code that the OEM Remote Communicates with the receiver?

Here is the deal with the second question of the remote's actual communication with the receiver, both the remote and the receiver need to be set to the the same number.

The Default is number 1 but one time somehow my receiver went to # 3 and the remote did not want to work with my VSX 1020,
because the remote was on # 1 and my VSX 1020 was on # 3. Total mis-match and the remote did nothing.

I called Pioneer and the Support rep told me to go through the R setup on the remote, BUT each time starting at # 1 check if remote works, if not do it again and use # 2 etc...etc...
until the remote finally works with the receiver.
It was during this process that I put in 3 and Bam my remote worked perfectly with my VSX 1020.

Once the two are talking again you can either go into setup in the receiver and change it back to 1 and then do your remote one more time also to 1, or just leave it alone.
If you leave it alone though, just remember the number in your receiver.
I also wonder if your OEM Remotes batteries go dead if the remote will revert back to Code 1 and your receiver is still on a different number.
You replace the batteries and your remote does not want to work with the receiver. Just a thought.

I bought a Logitech 650 Universal remote (Which I highly recommend a Universal be it the 650 or another) and after programming the remote on-line,
it would not work with my VSX 1020.
I figured it out though, it was that same mis-match because my receiver was still on the # 3, so I used my OEM remote to go into Setup in my VSX 1020 and I changed the remote code back to it's default of 1 and then my Logitech 650 worked perfectly with my VSX 1020.
This was because the Logitech 650 was pre-programmed for my receiver's default remote code of 1.

I hope that this helps you out..

Bud B
post #545 of 3298 Old 10-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Got in on the Newegg deal, and am glad I did. I'm coming from a vsx-1014 and this is a great upgrade. The only downside is the not usable HDMI standby. I have a Monoprice HDMI switch I am using as a workaround. Sound quality, power, features, all excellent. Thanks to those in the thread who posted the deal. I have a SC-27 and this unit seems like it's in the same ballpark, which was surprising.

Pioneer fixing the HDMI standby with a firmware upgrade would make my day. Even if they don't, it's a huge win at this price.
post #546 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM

I'm having an odd issue with my new 1121. The first day I hooked it up I didn't notice any problems. The next day when I turned it on I didn't get any sound from the front right speaker. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that if I go into the system setup menu -> manual speaker setup -> channel level and arrow down to the right speaker the test tone will play. After I return out of the menu, then the speaker continues to operate properly. Every time I turn off the receiver and back on I have to perform that procedure to get the right speaker to play sound.

To make sure it wasn't a speaker or cable issue, I swapped the left and right connections on the back of the receiver. That confirmed my suspicion that it was the amp and not the speaker/cable, because the problem moved to the front left.

I also did a factory reset and loaded the latest firmware and neither fixed it. So, anything else to try or is it exchange time?
post #547 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Hi
Just a weird question, is the Left that was the Right dead in ALL Inputs used.
In other words, not an issue on Incoming Signal.
Like Tuner, is it out, etc..

Page 74 in the OP Manual at the bottom of the left side column has troubleshooting steps if 1 speaker is not working.

One other thing that you could check would be do a Full System Reset.
To reset the receiver open the front door and make sure that the reciever is off.
Next while pushing down the "ENTER" button turn on the 1121 by pushing the Power/Standby button on the front panel.
After the display comes up release the ENTER Button and you can use the navigation Arrows up and down etc. to scroll through the selections.
Once you see Reset press Enter and do what it says.

Good Luck and if you still a bad Speaker Terminate, You may need to swap it out.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #548 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Should i upgrade my 1120 to the 1121? Any features besides the airplay worth upgrading?

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
post #549 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi
Just a weird question, is the Left that was the Right dead in ALL Inputs used.
In other words, not an issue on Incoming Signal.
Like Tuner, is it out, etc..

Page 74 in the OP Manual at the bottom of the left side column has troubleshooting steps if 1 speaker is not working.

One other thing that you could check would be do a Full System Reset.
To reset the receiver open the front door and make sure that the reciever is off.
Next while pushing down the "ENTER" button turn on the 1121 by pushing the Power/Standby button on the front panel.
After the display comes up release the ENTER Button and you can use the navigation Arrows up and down etc. to scroll through the selections.
Once you see Reset press Enter and do what it says.

Good Luck and if you still a bad Speaker Terminate, You may need to swap it out.

Good Luck,

Bud B

It's the front right channel that isn't working, but it does start working when I go into manual speaker setup and play the tone for that channel and it continues to work until I go into Standby; powering back on and it isn't working again. Already tried the Full System Reset.

It's like it isn't turning on the amp for the right channel until I play the test tone.

Same symptoms on all inputs, so not a source audio problem.
post #550 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy,

Quote:

but it does start working when I go into manual speaker setup and play the tone for that channel and it continues to work until I go into Standby

So, obviously you know that the Amp for that speaker works.
Try a hard reset and see if it was something that happened with the MCACC or first go into the speaker setup and see if it shows that speaker as OFF and then when you manually make the receiver look for it, it is turned on and works.

Did this happen Post your setup. If so maybe you did something wrong, that is why I would say to do a Hard reset and put the receiver back to it's original defaults the same as when you first plugged it in and try again.
The old adage, If at first you don't succeed, Try Try Again!

Because the speaker comes to life after you do the Manual search, it would indicate that something in the software for Auto is whacky.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #551 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Hello, people. I just got into the thread and looked all around but found no answers.
I have a sat dish and a panny plasma 50. Got HDMI control on. It works. But when I turn the receiver off I get audio and video on the tv for just one second, and then signal is completely off.
Anyone has a clue on why is that and how to solve it?
Thanks.
post #552 of 3298 Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Try a hard reset and see if it was something that happened with the MCACC

Already tried hard reset if that is holding SELECT while turning power on. Also tried unplugging power for 30 minutes.

Quote:

go into the speaker setup and see if it shows that speaker as OFF and then when you manually make the receiver look for it, it is turned on and works.

Is there a specific menu to look for individual speaker on/off status? I only see Speaker System which shows my setting of Zone 2 and Front = Normal.

Quote:

Did this happen Post your setup.

1st Day - hooked everything up and didn't notice any problem. Not much setup done - mostly reading the manual.
2nd Day - had not run MCACC yet, so was planning on doing that, but this is the day I noticed the problem when I turned it on.

Only thing I can think of to do at this point is to unhook everything and hook back up one at a time to see if one of my components is somehow causing it to mess up when first turning on.
post #553 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 AM

After an argues time I was able to sign into Pandora. I had to come back here and read to see you have to choose new user and get a code to enter on the Pandora sight. The interface is pretty lame. Panasonic has a much better Pandora GUI then Pioneer. I only have a Logitech keyboard but I tried it and as others mentioned I could only use up and down arrows anyway. Also I have the same remote problem that it doesn't work on these screens. Is Pandora the same bit rate on all devices? The sound recovery is really good it made Pandora sound much better.

Anyway I still like the receiver. I would have liked to afford one of the ice-power amp receivers but oh well it's only a preamp for me anyway and only stereo since I only have 2 speakers. A receiver seemed the only way to get HDMI switch and volume control .

What are the video settings you are all using?

Blaine
post #554 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 AM

The receiver must be on for HDMI pass through.
post #555 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Does anyone know if Sirius radio stations can be controlled with the Pioneer iPad or Ipod Touch app (iControlAV2)?

Does it show you the radio station and song names on your device ?
post #556 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanden View Post

The receiver must be on for HDMI pass through.

Hmm, I though passthrough meant that HDMI would passively pass trough the receiver when it's on standby. Just if the dish box was directly connected to the TV.
Does it work this way?
post #557 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Read page pgs 45 &47 in instruction book. explains what you do for pass through.
post #558 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Ahh have to upgrade in order to see Pandora....check.

Anyone else experience when entering H.M.G., and you see the menu list but the direction buttons on the remote (up/down) are un-responsive? I can control up/down from the physical buttons behind the flip-down door on the unit itself.

I know when I first entered H.M.G. I was able to access my WHS machine but now I cannot navigate up or down in H.M.G. via remote.
post #559 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisse View Post

Hmm, I though passthrough meant that HDMI would passively pass trough the receiver when it's on standby. Just if the dish box was directly connected to the TV.
Does it work this way?

It's supposed to work that way but I have yet to read a posting where someone claims to have it working. My opinion is this feature does not work.
post #560 of 3298 Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM

Run HDMI from your cable/sat box directly to your tv, then from the tv optical out to tv/sat opt in on the receiver. Now you can use just the tv volume or receiver volume when you choose!!
post #561 of 3298 Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM

Perisse, HDMI passthrough can be very tricky. Every component has to support it(TV, satbox, etc). For instance my TV, receiver, and bluray player supports it but my sat box and media player does not. If I turn on my bluray player and then activate the passthrough I can then go back to my satbox and Media player and have the ability to passthrough. It works as long as the bluray player is still on. Weird, I know.
post #562 of 3298 Old 10-31-2011, 03:14 PM

Hi all, haven't been to this site in a looooong time.

I got in on the newegg deal and set it up this weekend. Replaced a Sony DA555ES that worked flawlessly, but no HDMI. I have set up a 5.1 with speaker B option. Right now everything plays through all speakers, even the B speakers which I have going through a Niles switch to dining room and/or patio so I can turn it off completely.

Question is, how do I turn off the "A" speakers and play only through the "B" so when my wife wants to listen in the other area, but I don't want to listen in the family room?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
post #563 of 3298 Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Hi 19redwings,

Quote:

Question is, how do I turn off the "A" speakers and play only through the "B" so when my wife wants to listen in the other area, but I don't want to listen in the family room?

Open the front Panel and you will see a button for the "Speakers"
It is # 11 on page 10 / Page 51 explains "Switching Speaker Terminals"
As far as I know you can't do this from the remote.

Hope that helps.

Bud B
post #564 of 3298 Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM

Yayyyyy!

Success! Thanks Bud!
post #565 of 3298 Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Hi all. I recently purchased the VSX-1121-K. I have a cable box, LG BD590 Blu-Ray and Pioneer KURO TV. All are HDMI capable. Hoping you all can help a new guy like me with a basic setup question:

I'd love to connect the Blu-Ray and Cable Box to the AVR via HDMI, with one HDMI then going to TV. However, often I just want to watch TV or my kids want to watch a DVD, without the AVR on. As far as I know, the 1121-K doesn't do standby passthrough of HDMI.

So, I think I'm left connecting the Blu-Ray and Cable Box to the TV via HDMI, with some type of audio connection (optical?) from the Blu-Ray and Cable Box to the AVR. Will this give me both options (watching/listening with AVR on or off) as circumstances dictate? If so, what's the best audio connection to the AVR? I'd like to take advantage of the incredible sound processes capabilities of the Pioneer AVR and I'm not sure optical will allow that.

I'd REALLY appreciate any help I can get!

Thank you!
post #566 of 3298 Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2006 View Post

The way my stand is designed I barley have enough room for the reciever, is it possible to remove the feet? That would give me the right amount of clearance for my HDMI cords. Anyone remove the feet?

There probably are vents in the bottom too...if you remove the feet you will probably block those...if so not a good idea.
post #567 of 3298 Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

There probably are vents in the bottom too...if you remove the feet you will probably block those...if so not a good idea.

You are right, definately a no-no! You can always use auxilliary fans though, like quiet PC fans for additional circulation.
post #568 of 3298 Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM

I have a bad habit of second-guessing myself when I buy something expensive, and getting a receiver turned out to be no exception. After I placed an order for the 1121k on Newegg, I picked up a Yamaha RX-V871 from Costco ($489) so I had something to compare it against.

After doing some A/B testing with the Andrew Jones speakers I bought from Best Buy, the Pioneer wins in sound quality by leaps and bounds. The Yamaha's interface is definitely easier to work with, but it sounded a lot brighter and lacked the Pioneer's lush, fuller sound characteristics.

At $430 for the receiver and $298 for the speaker bundle, I think this is about as good as it gets for a budget shopper. I give this combo two thumbs up!
post #569 of 3298 Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Gator236,

Quote:
often I just want to watch TV or my kids want to watch a DVD, without the AVR on

Now why in the World would you want to do that?
The 1121 makes everything Better!

Now with a Harmony 650 or other Harmony Remote, one Button will turn on your Cable Box, Pioneer VSX 1121 and HDTV.
Another Button will turn on Your Blu-Ray Player the Pio 1121 and your HDTV.

But if you are still determined to watch TV, DVD's etc without the Pioneer..Talk about a lonely Step-Child! LOL!
I would run all of my HDMI Connections through the Pioneer VSX 1121 so they are there when you want them.
Your Cable Box probably has Component RCA Outs that's the Red, Green and Blue with Audio Red and White. I would use Component RCA to your HDTV, which almost all HDTV's have Component Input's.
Turn on your Cable Box and HDTV to Component Inputs.
If your DVD player has Component do that as well.

One note though, some cable Boxes, DVD players, etc will not Output Content via both HDMI and Component at the same time.

Another option is an HDMI Splitter, with one HDMI going to the Pioneer and One HDMI To HDTV.
When using the Pioneer VSX 1121 go to that HDTV HDMI Input, when going directly to HDTV select that HDMI Input!
Splitter here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #570 of 3298 Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

I connected my laptop with an HDMI cable and the ipad status said 48khz. I'm not sure if that is the reciver or the video card that set that. I was able to stream lossless wma files like 16bit 44.1khz 930kbps. Also I streamed a 32bit 192khz wave file but it skipped and had a hard time. I tried a a 32bit 96khz wave file and that worked better but not perfect. I am going to try and copy these files to a usb hard drive.

Blaine
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page