Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I got the receiver last night, at the moment I only have fronts and center speakers. I ran MCACC and it found my 3 speakers and proceeded to calibrate them. after it finished I hooked up my Samsung blue ray and direct tv dvr to the unit using HDMI cables.

I changed my BRD to PCM and put in Avatar I get the video but now sound, I then changed to DVR and also had no sound but get video. I played with it for a couple of hours and then thew in the towel and called customer service which was closed, sigh.

If anyone one on this great forum has suggetions I would really appreicate it.

I also tried to change the receiver to from 8 ohms to 6 ohms for my Paradigms and also failed to accomplish this task. I would press enter on the face plate and push power button and the screen would not change.

Thanks

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One thing I noticed that I can't do compared to my old Onkyo, is that I can't force stereo to all speakers. I'm playing Pandora and it's only running 2ch without the sub. I'm looking to force All Ch Stereo and can't seem to find the option. Does anyone know what it is and if its possible?
post #723 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmann View Post

Hello,

I got the receiver last night, at the moment I only have fronts and center speakers. I ran MCACC and it found my 3 speakers and proceeded to calibrate them. after it finished I hooked up my Samsung blue ray and direct tv dvr to the unit using HDMI cables.

I changed my BRD to PCM and put in Avatar I get the video but now sound, I then changed to DVR and also had no sound but get video. I played with it for a couple of hours and then thew in the towel and called customer service which was closed, sigh.

If anyone one on this great forum has suggetions I would really appreicate it.

I also tried to change the receiver to from 8 ohms to 6 ohms for my Paradigms and also failed to accomplish this task. I would press enter on the face plate and push power button and the screen would not change.

Thanks

Jerry

I know it's a stupid suggestion but did you increase the volume level with the knob?? At first I thought I had no sound either coming from my PS3 but than I increased the volume to about -35db and there it was... it was just me being stupid probably but just in case throwing it out there because sometime it's the easiest thing that we don't check and do first.

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #724 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

I know it's a stupid suggestion but did you increase the volume level with the knob?? At first I thought I had no sound either coming from my PS3 but than I increased the volume to about -35db and there it was... it was just me being stupid probably but just in case throwing it out there because sometime it's the easiest thing that we don't check and do first.

Haha I thought the same thing! I kept cranking up the sound and it didn't start coming out until -30db the first time. No idea why that happened. Probably something built in for the first cold start.
post #725 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Liked: 13
Bhazard, they call it ext. stereo on the pioneers
post #726 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Ha ha, I will check volume 1st thing I think I went to like 60 or so, and I did make sure the mute was off and it was plugged in

Jerry
post #727 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt10r View Post

Perfect, just found it, works. Thanks!
post #728 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

*Wireless Internet to the 1121-K for cheap*

I'm still waiting on my VSX-1121 to arrive, but I also ordered and have received a Roku box to stream Internet video. If I have the Roku box, do you think I'll get much, if any, benefit from also picking up the TrendNet device? I don't think the Roku is compatible with vTuner, but I'm sure there are Internet Radio options that it does provide.
post #729 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I'm still waiting on my VSX-1121 to arrive, but I also ordered and have received a Roku box to stream Internet video. If I have the Roku box, do you think I'll get much, if any, benefit from also picking up the TrendNet device? I don't think the Roku is compatible with vTuner, but I'm sure there are Internet Radio options that it does provide.

You wont be able to use Airplay or the Pioneer control app from an ipod or android without internet to the 1121. If you don't need this, then you wouldn't need internet to the 1121, since the roku box does everything else better.
post #730 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I like Pioneer's AV control app too. I loved going under the "Emphasis" section and tilting the ipod to get more bass. Very intuitive. Great buy.
post #731 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I'm an implaccable apple-hater, so for now at least airplay isn't a factor. If I get an android device, or one of my family breaks rank and gets an iSomething, I may reconsider. I have a Widows phone - know of any useful apps in that OS?

For now I think I have enough on my plate to get the new receiver up and running, figure out how to use the Roku, mount the two new (used) speakers i just got to move from 5.1 to 7.1, relocate my old Onkyo, etc, etc....
post #732 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

One thing I noticed that I can't do compared to my old Onkyo, is that I can't force stereo to all speakers. I'm playing Pandora and it's only running 2ch without the sub. I'm looking to force All Ch Stereo and can't seem to find the option. Does anyone know what it is and if its possible?

Still waiting for the brown truck to show up with mine today, but go to page 36 of the manual. Try something like "WIDE SURROUND MUSIC".
post #733 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM

I just added a VSX-1121-K to my set up. Running an HTPC to the Pioneer via HDMI and then using the pre-outs to feed crown xti-1000's. WOW the sound card on my Gigabyte A75M-UD2H direct to the amps was limiting the full range of my center and surrounds. I was shocked to get such a performance boost from just using the receiver pre-outs. I only added it to gain more connectivity options I didnt know I was missing out.

I ordered it Friday from Amazon for $370 shipped price new was $399 but I wanted to save some cash(its back to $569 today). It arrived Monday in perfect condition but was missing the remote! I called Amazon today and they refunded me $50 after I told them there was no mention of the possibility of missing items and that I would have just bought the new one.

Very happy but annoyed I had to go through the hassle to get a remote I wish I would have bought the new one. Also pissed that my stupid Mits 73-837 wont sent OTA HDTV audio back the receiver via the HDMI. I find this a day after what I thought was my last order from monoprice this month, Ive already ordered twice this month . But I have a temp cable to hold me over.
post #734 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM

I would like to thank Bazylik and Bhazard for there advice! I guess I missed the part in the manual were you have to keep turning up the volume, and keep turning up the volume and keep turning up the volume some more lol, its been 12 years since I purchased my last receiver and I guess it shows.

Anyway As I got closer to -30 I started to hear something, and I am now enjoying my receiver. Hopefully my folly will save someone else from getting caught with this lol.

Thanks again

Jerry
post #735 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM

Liked: 11
Can you guys confirm what is the front fascia of VSX-1121 like?
Is it gloss or flat black (compared to VSX-1120) and is it plastic or aluminum?
Some close-up pictures would be nice...
Thanks a lot
post #736 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Glossy black plastic.

Mine is in low light so I can't get very good pictures.
post #737 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM

This may be a stupid question, but what program do you use to unzip the upgrade download. Windows 7 doesn't recognize the mem file extension.
post #738 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiniTim View Post

This may be a stupid question, but what program do you use to unzip the upgrade download. Windows 7 doesn't recognize the mem file extension.

I simply right clicked on the file in windows 7 and chose the "extract all" menu option. The final file inside the downloaded zip file has, I believe, an *.mem extension.

It's that file that you place in the root drive on an empty USB flash drive and then insert it into your front panel USB port.
post #739 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiniTim View Post

You don't need to unzip it. Just plug it into the receiver as is.
post #740 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Perfect, just found it, works. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt10r View Post

I've only got a 2.1 setup, but when I set it to ext stereo, nothing is going to the sub with stereo sources (like cd). just playing out of my L & R. I basically want my sub on all the time regardless of the source to fill in the low end. But I'm thinking with the LFE output it is only now used for sources that say to use it.

With my old receiver (no sub out) I went from my speaker outputs to my sub inputs and then from my sub outputs to my L & R speaker, using the subs crossover. I actually liked this setup for stereo audio and casual stereo TV watching because the sub was always there. Thinking about doing this again, but worried I won't get optimal sub response with DVDs and blurays.

Am I missing something? Any way to hook this up/settings to make to get my sub to work for stereo sources besides wiring my speakers through my sub like I did before?
post #741 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
^^^

Setting speakers to Small engages bass management, which will get the sub involved with stereo sources.

Ext. stereo is designed for people with multichannel systems. It sends L/R to the other full range channels. So, Ext Stereo doesn't seem like a setting you would want to use with a 2.1 set-up.
post #742 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

^^^

Setting speakers to Small engages bass management, which will get the sub involved with stereo sources.

Ext. stereo is designed for people with multichannel systems. It sends L/R to the other full range channels. So, Ext Stereo doesn't seem like a setting you would want to use with a 2.1 set-up.

Well, your idea of setting speakers to small seemed to do the trick! Although for low bass sources (news anchor talking) it didn't auto power on the sub. I'm guessing not enou of a signal fr the sub to register it. Put on some music and it seems to work. and that's where you really want it. Although it would be nice if it would turn the sub on during tv shows that have some bass. Guess I'll have to monitor how it does.

Is this documented in the manual at all to do this? I just ran the MCACC and was not able to find info on why you'd want to change setting like this. But this seems absolutely ideal for a 2.1 setup.
post #743 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Manuals aren't designed to be audio configuration primers. They assume basic knowledge about things like bass management and the difference between bitstream and PCM outputs. That approach may not be helpful, but it's the one that most companies seem to take.

Where did you set the crossover? That's what determines when low frequencies get rerouted from the main channels to the sub. You probably don't want male voices to activate the sub.
post #744 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Actually, I found it. P66-67 says to put on small to send bass frequencies to subwoofer. And to double check and fix this after MCACC to ensure it did it right.

After the autocal, it set my crossover at 80Hz. Haven't changed it. This is my first receiver in 14 years, so all this stuff is pretty new to me. So thank you for your help and pointing me in the right direction.
post #745 of 3301 Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post

Glossy black plastic.

Mine is in low light so I can't get very good pictures.

Thanks...
it´s a shame though, I guess I´d stick with EU VSX-2021 better as I have the BDP-440 and they both have alu + hairline on the front...
but the prices in the U.S. are still much lower
post #746 of 3301 Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVillager View Post

Very happy but annoyed I had to go through the hassle to get a remote I wish I would have bought the new one. Also pissed that my stupid Mits 73-837 wont sent OTA HDTV audio back the receiver via the HDMI. I find this a day after what I thought was my last order from monoprice this month, Ive already ordered twice this month . But I have a temp cable to hold me over.

If you have an iPhone, to to the app store and search for Pioneer. You can download their media remote which will give you remote control over the unit if you have it connected to your home network.
post #747 of 3301 Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 AM

Should the upgrade be done before running the setup or after.
post #748 of 3301 Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmann View Post

I would like to thank Bazylik and Bhazard for there advice! I guess I missed the part in the manual were you have to keep turning up the volume, and keep turning up the volume and keep turning up the volume some more lol, its been 12 years since I purchased my last receiver and I guess it shows.

Anyway As I got closer to -30 I started to hear something, and I am now enjoying my receiver. Hopefully my folly will save someone else from getting caught with this lol.

Thanks again

Jerry

No problem.. Glad I could help

post #749 of 3301 Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there a way to force it to 5 speakers.. I have a 5.1 and all I can hear is 2.1, music doesn't extend to center and surrounds speakers

That's why I wanted to use optical connection for audio from my PC because I could do force the audio to all the speakers from a software side, but running audio and video via HDMI I have no control over the audio output. Unless there is something in the pioneer that can do that and I haven't found it yet. Anyone?

post #750 of 3301 Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Is there a way to force it to 5 speakers.. I have a 5.1 and all I can hear is 2.1, music doesn't extend to center and surrounds speakers

That's why I wanted to use optical connection for audio from my PC because I could do force the audio to all the speakers from a software side, but running audio and video via HDMI I have no control over the audio output. Unless there is something in the pioneer that can do that and I haven't found it yet. Anyone?

Kt10r mentioned it. The sound mode is called "Ext. Stereo" under advanced I believe. Works great.

For a nice easy boost in Bass, download the Icontrol2 AV app for ipod or android and go under emphasis. You tilt your device to increase/decrease the amount of bass to the speakers/sub. Gave quite a bit more punch to the sound.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page