Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

Got mine on Friday, and have it set up to where it's functional, but not optimal. Got a couple questions:
- anyone else find it takes too long to change the channel on cable? I have a Time Warner Scientific Atlanta cable box/dvr connected via hdmi to the receiver, and if I change channel it takes several seconds for the video to change. The audio comes in from the channel I switched to pretty quickly. Is the receiver trying to analyze the video signal and make adjustments? It's pretty irritating.

- how do I access the option of all-channel stereo (I think it's called ext.stereo on this receiver)? Right now, the receiver screen shows the Dolby logo and "DIGITAL" when I'm watching cable, and the sound is good except that it frequently drops out for a second, and "STEREO" pops up on the receiver display. If I have to select one mode to avoid the drop outs, I will. I can't find the ext.stereo choice anywhere in the menus.

- how do I set different MCACC settings and have the ability to switch between them? I did the auto-MCACC, and it set the speakers to different levels, etc, but I'm not cetain that's what's playing.

- I'm not getting sound out of my back surrounds - is that because the source material is 5.1? Is it only Blue Ray that has 7.1?

Thanks - I'm sure I'll be tinkering for months!

Can help with a couple of your issues as I have been set it up myself yesterday. First make sure you have the manual downloaded as it has all this info.

For Ext Stereo press Receiver button and then the advance surround. keep pressing until you get to ext stereo. see page 37

MCACC cals are saved in one of the 6 memory locations. Press Receiver button and then the MCACC button(#5) to toggle through various mem locations. Make sure you are listening to something when u do that. see page 38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@jontyrees...

set your set top box to put out a fixed video resolution (preferably 1080i)... the delay you are seeing is a resolution change breaking the handshake, which results in a re-negotiation...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #813 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Want a confirmation that when you have HDMI going through the AVR and then to the TV the audio only comes through either AVR or the TV and not both at the same time.

Also if the above is true is their a quick toggle button on the remote rather than going through the menu to get to switch this option?
post #814 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that's correct...

no, there is not an ir command to do it... if you use a remote setup that allows you to use serial (rs232) commands, then you can do it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #815 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_loaf View Post

Do you have other devices connected to your bridge to confirm that it is set up correctly? I would suggest trying static IP settings on the VSX-1121 to ensure that it is getting DNS. That sounds like the problem to me if you can control it on the network but can't get to the outside world... it can't translate url's to IP via DNS.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up bricking the Cisco. I exchanged it for a Trendnet 4 port bridge. I used the one touch setup and everything was up and running in 5 minutes. I think there was something wrong with the Cisco.
post #816 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parva View Post

Any price spotters out there that see the VSX-1121 back down to the $399 deal?

I really don't want to spend more than that [these days]. Saw the deals around Black Friday, but delayed too long to get in on it.

If you see a deal on this unit, lemme know!

Ditto on that . . . I'm also looking for another deal!
post #817 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

I ran the full Auto MCACC cal as well but did not see any hang up. Maybe you want to reset the unit and start over. Also it is important to do the MCACC with no other noise around as it can mess it up but it does not seem to be your problem.

How do I go about reseting the unit? I'll check if the manual has something on this. I did check the firmware and tried to do an update through the internet and it came back that the unit already had the latest firmware.
post #818 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@jontyrees...

set your set top box to put out a fixed video resolution (preferably 1080i)... the delay you are seeing is a resolution change breaking the handshake, which results in a re-negotiation...

This is a personal taste thing, but I prefer to have my cable box send a native resolution and let the receiver do any conversion. I can deal with the slight delay.
post #819 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

agreed... when using my projector, i also use native (unless i'm in super surf mode)... then again, i'm using an external video processor for that... for the flat panels, i send fixed res to eliminate the delay... ime, in "real world viewing", the delay isn't worth it...

ime/imo/ymmv...

- chris

post #820 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM

...Black Friday deals for 399...

Seriously!!?? Best deal I see today is 520 from Amazon. I just pushed through all the materials here and decided to go with the 1121 over the Elite version due to warranty issue and no need for trigger. The great price plus tax advantage makes it too big of a delta for the nicer lights and Elite logo...

Troy
post #821 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirchen View Post

Seriously!!?? Best deal I see today is 520 from Amazon. I just pushed through all the materials here and decided to go with the 1121 over the Elite version due to warranty issue and no need for trigger. The great price plus tax advantage makes it too big of a delta for the nicer lights and Elite logo...

In agreement re. the value of the vsx-1121 instead of the elite model... just that at 399 its a super value ... @ 520, its only lukewarm IMHO
post #822 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirchen View Post

Yes, I picked one up for that price. I wasn't sold on the entry level models despite all the cool AV and internet features. This is coming from a VSX-33TX, which by the way is a tad heavier than my new 1121. So at the BF price this was a great way to upgrade my aging receiver but not give up too much on the sound quality side as well break the bank.
post #823 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl1 View Post

Ditto on that . . . I'm also looking for another deal!

If you're not in a hurry, just let TheTracktor (dot com) watch the Amazon price for you. If you use Safari, there's even a Tracktor plug-in that shows you the price history on every Amazon product page.

You can create an account and set a price alert, then just wait for the email notification when it goes below the requested price. Now if my LX-5 alert would just fire (since I missed a $100 off "sale" yesterday)... :-)
post #824 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks much!!

Troy
post #825 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemketron View Post

If you're not in a hurry, just let TheTracktor (dot com) watch the Amazon price for you. If you use Safari, there's even a Tracktor plug-in that shows you the price history on every Amazon product page.

You can create an account and set a price alert, then just wait for the email notification when it goes below the requested price. Now if my LX-5 alert would just fire (since I missed a $100 off "sale" yesterday)... :-)

Very Kewl! Thanks.
Never knew about theTractorDotCom...
Its good to learn something everyday
post #826 of 3301 Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemketron View Post

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try!
post #827 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfish View Post

Hey guys,

I bought me an 1121 during the BF deal and have it pretty much setup, except for one problem. I have an HTPC and can not get Opt audio and HDMI at the same time. The Receiver keeps blocking the Opt audio as soon as the HDMI plug is inserted thinking the audio is coming across the HDMI, but I can not send the audio over the HDMI from my HTPC. Is there any way to disable the audio from the HDMI input?

I have the same problem... posted about it in this thread too. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any way to disable the audio indivudualy in HDMI and pass it through Opt, it's either both video and audio via HDMI, or just audio via optical...
Fortunately for me my graphics card does audio via HDMI so I'm using that for now... But I gotta tell you, my SB X-fi sounds so much better than the HDMI audio...

Also, over the weekend I reran MCACC, the first time I had my PC on and it's quite loud, so I reran the setup in complete silence. The results were completely different from the initial run and boy the audio is so much better and cleaner now. I'm even more blown away, I'm really glad I got that receiver, even though it doesn't really let assign inputs the way you really want.

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #828 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiniTim View Post

Setup the 1121, all is working except the PS3( FAT) no sound no video via HDMI.
Anyone have the same problem and found a solution?

Hold the power button for 30 seconds while turning the unit on. You'll have to re-run the PS3 video setup.

I think that's the way to reset the video. If not, look it up.
post #829 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@jontyrees...

That seemed to do the trick - much snappier channel changing now. Since my TV is 720p, and I have now set the 1121 to output 720p, I should probably tell the cable box to output 720p also, right?

Another hurdle - when I watched Boardwalk Empire on my cable HBOonDemand channel last night, it looked ok, but only used the center of the screen, leaving a black border all around it. HBO itself comes in fine - it was the onDemand version that was smaller than the full scree. would that be related to how I set up the resolutions?
post #830 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Brfish & Bazylik

Quote:

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any way to disable the audio indivudualy in HDMI and pass it through Opt, it's either both video and audio via HDMI, or just audio via optical...

Go to page 27 in the OP Manual under "Input Function Default and Possible Settings"

If you look at the Input Settings Box:
DVR/BDR HDMI In 6 - Optical Digital # 2
Video HDMI In 4 - Optical Digital # 3

If you are going to use the Optic in for either HDMI 4 or 6 then use your remote and in the "Signal Select" (Box upper left hand corner of Display)
choose Digital.

The OP Manual discusses "Choosing the Input (Audio) Signal" on page 38, second column from the left.
Try this and I think that you can have the Video in your HDMI Cable but the Audio via the Optical Digital Inputs.

Good Luck,
Bud B
post #831 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Just looking at my order form from Amazon for my 1121, and the Product Description "from the manufacturer" shows it has "12-volt trigger (x2)". Is there a trigeer hidden somewhere?

Just go to Amazon and find the 1121, the page has a table of features for the whole VSX-xx21 series.

That's weird. From the picture of the back of the receiver, I don't see any 12V triggers. The Pioneer documentation doesn't make any mention of it either. Can you check your receiver and confirm this? It could just be an error on Amazon's part.

Thanks.
counterpoint
post #832 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Brfish

Quote:

I can not send the audio over the HDMI from my HTPC.

Why is that?
What Video Card do you have?

More Info Please.

Thanks,

Bud B
post #833 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post

That's weird. From the picture of the back of the receiver, I don't see any 12V triggers. The Pioneer documentation doesn't make any mention of it either. Can you check your receiver and confirm this? It could just be an error on Amazon's part.

Thanks.
counterpoint

Yeah - error on the website - no 12v triggers.
post #834 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hi jontyrees & counterpoint,

The VSX 1121 does not have any 12v Triggers.

You need to step up to the Elites for the 12v Triggers.
The Elite VSX 40 has one Trigger and the rest from the Elite VSX 50 all the way up to the Elite VSX 57 have two 12V Triggers.

I found that glitch awhile ago.
In the original Brochure it stated that there were 12v Triggers and on the next page that showed the rear, there were clearly none there.

They have updated it though, just went to the website and clicked on the Brochure and there is no mention of 12V triggers.

Bud B
post #835 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post

Thanks.
counterpoint

Can confirm NO 12V trigger on 1121, I just got mine 4 days ago.
post #836 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi jontyrees & counterpoint,

The VSX 1121 does not have any 12v Triggers.

You need to step up to the Elites for the 12v Triggers.
The Elite VSX 40 has one Trigger and the rest from the Elite VSX 50 all the way up to the Elite VSX 57 have two 12V Triggers.

I found that glitch awhile ago.
In the original Brochure it stated that there were 12v Triggers and on the next page that showed the rear, there were clearly none there.

They have updated it though, just went to the website and clicked on the Brochure and there is no mention of 12V triggers.

Bud B

Seems they initially had planned to offer 12v trigger on 1121 but than the difference between 1121 and VSX-52 is further reduced if they did(only extra HDMI out and 1 year extra warranty). I will not be surprised if you remove the cover you find that everything is there except the actual connector through the backpanel.
post #837 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Just looking at my order form from Amazon for my 1121, and the Product Description "from the manufacturer" shows it has "12-volt trigger (x2)". Is there a trigeer hidden somewhere?

Just go to Amazon and find the 1121, the page has a table of features for the whole VSX-xx21 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

Seems they initially had planned to offer 12v trigger on 1121 but than the difference between 1121 and VSX is further reduced if they did(only extra HDMI out and 1 year extra warranty). I will not be surprised if you remove the cover you find that everything is there except the actual connector through the backpanel.

If that is true, you could probably test it with a multimeter to see if there is a 12V, solder on a wire and route it out of the chassis. That is, if you don't mind voiding your warranty. Or you could just get one of those smart power strip things. It just seems silly of Pioneer to completely disregard a simple 12V trigger on a model with pre-outs, just because of their other competing products. Thats like buying a sports car with a powerful engine but they slapped on some cheapo tires on it because they want you to fork over some more cash to get the upgraded model when you're just happy with what you got if it just had something basic and essential like proper tires. So annoying...
post #838 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm running into some trouble (or I just have a bad unit)...

They way I have my setup now, I'd like to route the audio out of the receiver to another speaker system (sound bar) using HDMI or optical... is this possible? Whatever I try, I can't get audio OUT of receiver. To troubleshoot, I tried only hooking up the HDMI out to my TV and use my TV's speakers... but that doesn't work either. Is there a way to pass the HDMI signal through to another device?
post #839 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leobag View Post

I'm running into some trouble (or I just have a bad unit)...

They way I have my setup now, I'd like to route the audio out of the receiver to another speaker system (sound bar) using HDMI or optical... is this possible? Whatever I try, I can't get audio OUT of receiver. To troubleshoot, I tried only hooking up the HDMI out to my TV and use my TV's speakers... but that doesn't work either. Is there a way to pass the HDMI signal through to another device?

Have you tried the optical out port on the back of the receiver?
post #840 of 3301 Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post

Have you tried the optical out port on the back of the receiver?

I tried, but it didn't work. On pg 20 of the Manual it states "You can't hear HDMI audio through this receiver's digital out jack."

Probably has something to do with HDMI copy protection. But I even tried an all HDMI path with no luck.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page