Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3298 Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post

I never even tried the stock cord. I bought a new one from monoprice. I wouldn't waste your time on a "better-noise-reduction &/or line-conditioning cord" as the wiring in your wall will wouldn't be any better than a standard cord.

Cool... I've lotsa spare power cords hanging around; will use one of them. thanks!

As for the standby audio pass-through, is it still a no-go? Is the solution to having audio @ the tv w/out the vsx-1121 on, to run my PS3 & my comcast vip722 via HDMI to my mitsubishi DLP screen then optical to the avr?

3rd question... My PS3 appears to be failing -- doesn't seem to be much of a surprise. So, I'll prolly need a new BD player -- suggestions? Is there much benefit to sticking to Pioneer for this BD player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3298 Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

imo/ime, the oppo 93 is about as good as it gets...

pio bdp's are junk... I wouldn't touch one...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #903 of 3298 Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by insmanblue View Post

Can you be more specific?

Drive-by smears don't count.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #904 of 3298 Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marken View Post

Well, after spending a few days with my first piece of Pioneer gear, all I can say is unimpressed.

One would think after spending too many years with my Onkyo 717, this thing would blow me away. Not...

Maybe after a few more days my opinion might change, but I doubt it. All the hype seems to have turned to pooh.

What exactly is the problem with the unit at its Black Friday price point? I think the problem lies in between the receiver and the chair.
post #905 of 3298 Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM

I have an old TV that only has RCA (red and white) audio cables. I have a media player that outputs audio via an Optical cable. Is there any way to connect the Optical cable to the receiver and then have the receiver relay the audio to the TV?

I see a "DVR/BDR Out" output on the back of the VSX-1121-k. What are my options for inputs that will be picked up by this output?
post #906 of 3298 Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marken View Post

Well, after spending a few days with my first piece of Pioneer gear, all I can say is unimpressed.

One would think after spending too many years with my Onkyo 717, this thing would blow me away. Not...

Maybe after a few more days my opinion might change, but I doubt it. All the hype seems to have turned to pooh.

Have you done full MCACC cals? audio was much better after it for me.

Also you have to keep in mind, at this price point, none of the AVRs(Onkyo, Yamaha or Pioneer) will blow you away when compared to each other. You have to pay well above $1k to be able to do that.
post #907 of 3298 Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about picking one of these up to use as a processor for a while. It seems to fit my needs as far as connections and features. I am curious about the sound. Do they use quality DACs in this unit? Is it run off a single 7ch DAC or multiple 2ch DACs. Thanks.
post #908 of 3298 Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is $550 plus shipping a good price for a Elite VSX-52TX (similar to the 1121K). I don't see a thread for this model.

Does the HDMI standby pass thru work on the 52?

Thanks!

Dave

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #909 of 3298 Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Liked: 11
I had been using a 2.1 Klipsch HTIB prior to getting the 1121, 3 SuperZero 2.0's, and a Super 8 sub. Since it was 2.1, the Klipsch had a very wide pseudo center channel. It also may have been a little boomy since the rear ported satellites were in a bookshelf.

Now I've switched to the 1121 and the Superzeros with an actual center (3.1 set up), but the center channel dialog sounds strange to me. The dialog soundstage seems really small, like its pin-pointed to the center speaker. The voices also sound different than I'm used to - less full and chesty - more nasally.

The change in tone and the seemingly small dialog soundstage is throwing me for a loop. I can't figure out if its normal and something I need to get used to after using the 2.1 set up for a few years or if I've got an issue with my AVR set up/callibration or my speakers.

I've run MCACC several times with speakers and microphone shifted around. This may have helped a little, but not a ton. Emphasizing the dialog with the ipad app helped a bit, but still leaves the voices sounding different than I'm used to - almost like they're higher pitched and less bassy.

According to the manual, there is supposed to be a function in the Audio Parameters button that allows me to widen the center channel by bleeding more into the LR channels, but this function never shows up when I cycle through them.

I'm really at a loss on whether to forget about it for a week or two and see if I get used to it or whether to continue troubleshooting. I'm tempted to grab some different speakers to see if that changes anything, but the superzeros get good reviews and should be plenty good for what I'm doing. Maybe they're still breaking in?

Any advice?

Thanks. Jon

EDIT: Tonight, the dialog sounded much better. Maybe it was a matter of getting used to a new and different sounding system. Maybe it was that last MCACC I ran. Who knows, but I liked it tonight. Overall, I thought it sounded pretty good and will get better. On a side note, those Superzero 2.0's have a nice sound to them.
post #910 of 3298 Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM

I'm loving this receiver so far. Just a tip for those of you that want cheaper wireless. In Canada the Pioneer wi-fi adaptor is a ridiculous $150, not sure what it costs in the U.S. but imagine it can't be too much better.

A friend of mine who also bought the same receiver on my recommendation is using a D-Link DAP-1350 Portable wireless router in Client mode (switch selectable) and it's working perfectly to connect his receiver to his N network.

The D-Link connects to the ethernet port on the 1121 and once configured acts just like a wireless link to your network. Not sure on the U.S. price but it's only about $50 in Canada. It's just a tiny little thing and has a wall wart for power or can be powered via a USB port. Cables included. Cheers and hope that's of some use to someone!

James
post #911 of 3298 Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudbren View Post

I'm loving this receiver so far. Just a tip for those of you that want cheaper wireless. In Canada the Pioneer wi-fi adaptor is a ridiculous $150, not sure what it costs in the U.S. but imagine it can't be too much better.

A friend of mine who also bought the same receiver on my recommendation is using a D-Link DAP-1350 Portable wireless router in Client mode (switch selectable) and it's working perfectly to connect his receiver to his N network.

The D-Link connects to the ethernet port on the 1121 and once configured acts just like a wireless link to your network. Not sure on the U.S. price but it's only about $50 in Canada. It's just a tiny little thing and has a wall wart for power or can be powered via a USB port. Cables included. Cheers and hope that's of some use to someone!

James

Trendnet Wireless Gaming Adapter. $30 does the same thing. It was $20 when I picked it up Black Friday. Even easier to configure with WPS.
post #912 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi bhazard,

In checking reviews for this product, I saw a number of posts that like it but complain about connection issues..like below at Amazon..

Quote:

TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter TEW-647GA (Black) (Personal Computers)
Not the greatest for keeping connectivity, but works well enough. Seems to go through phases when it loses connectivity frequently and is difficult to reconnect then works fine for months.

Have you had these problems?
I do need something like this for my Elite VSX 53 which is in my living room and my Wireless N Router is in my bedroom.

You Tube Video about the D-Link DAP-1350 Portable wireless router
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6sKJJKBwrM

Thanks,

Bud B
post #913 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:

James

I am using Dlink 615 in client bridge mode with dd-wrt flashed. Had some trouble running it initially but now once got with the older firmware it works very well. You end up getting 3 more port if yo have multiple devices that are not wifi capable but have ethernet port.
Cost me about $20 refurbished.
post #914 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 AM

I am having trouble getting my sub preout to send a signal to my sub-woofer. My setup is a pair of klipch rf-7 for the front, rc5II for center, and 12dw for my sub. My rear/ceiling speakers haven't arrived yet. The fronts are wired and receiver is configured for bi amp mode. In the speaker setup settings, I have the fronts listed as "Large" and the sub listed as "Yes". Is there some setting that I am missing, which is causing the sub pre out to not work? There is absolutely no signal being sent, so not an issue with it being too low or not enough power getting to the sub, but it just simply isn't sending any signal, thus nothing coming out of the sub. Thanks.
post #915 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

because you aren't sending anything to the sub...

change your speakers to "small"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #916 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:

James

Is there any advantage to using this over the wifi adapter or visa-versa? I am hardwired into my router which is a wifi access point. So I can send music via Airplay to my Pio- but that seems to be all I can do.

With the Pio adapter (which you can pick up for around $79 here in the USA if you shop around) it seems you can send pictures and videos as well.

Can other "adapters" send pics and videos to the VSX-1121-K or is that a function that's somehow connected proprietarily to the BT-200?
post #917 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi bhazard,

In checking reviews for this product, I saw a number of posts that like it but complain about connection issues..like below at Amazon..

Have you had these problems?
I do need something like this for my Elite VSX 53 which is in my living room and my Wireless N Router is in my bedroom.

You Tube Video about the D-Link DAP-1350 Portable wireless router
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6sKJJKBwrM

Thanks,

Bud B

I've only lost connection once and just unplugged/plugged in and it was fine. I have had it running 24/7 since the day after BF. Works perfect with Pandora and airplay, no skips. For $20 it was a no brainer, and really simple if your router supports WPS.
post #918 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Liked: 14
What do you guys make of this... sometimes when watching TV, I'll hear the audio cut out real quick, then come back. Every time it does, I can see on the front panel that has re-established the Dolby connection and indicates the level correction unique to the signal (+db...) Why would it do this? Is this an issue with the receiver or some sort of interrupt in the Directv signal?
post #919 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

the "+db" you are seeing is dialnorm... encoded as part of a dd stream...

d* has been known to have audio dropout issues, yes...

- chris

post #920 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the "+db" you are seeing is dialnorm... encoded as part of a dd stream...

d* has been known to have audio dropout issues, yes...

Hi Chris, I knew the +db was encoded as part of a stream and I see it appear every time I go to a new channel.

Did not understand what "d*" means though. Is that "dolby digital", "direct tv?" What are you referring to that is known to have audio dropout and is there a way to fix it? I never had this issue before I started using dolby.

Thanks!
post #921 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

oops, sorry... d* = directv...

nope... not via hdmi... try hooking up your box via component and spdif and see what happens...

- chris

post #922 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

How do I get on screen display of volume, display mode, input, etc. overlayed onto the screen? I have my unit in another room so I am unable to see the front panel...

Thx

Anyone???
post #923 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm pretty sure an on-screen GUI for volume, etc. is not an option with this receiver. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the manuals or on the forums and never seen it myself.
post #924 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

I'm pretty sure an on-screen GUI for volume, etc. is not an option with this receiver. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the manuals or on the forums and never seen it myself.

I've never seen/heard it before either, but it does have GUI for a lot of the other feature (HMG, setup, etc).

What number have you been contacting Pioneer at?
post #925 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

What do you guys make of this... sometimes when watching TV, I'll hear the audio cut out real quick, then come back. Every time it does, I can see on the front panel that has re-established the Dolby connection and indicates the level correction unique to the signal (+db...) Why would it do this? Is this an issue with the receiver or some sort of interrupt in the Directv signal?

I was having the same issue - which would have been a deal breaker, as it was waaay too annoying to tolerate. I've changed about a thousand settings since I first got the receiver (BF deal), but I think the one that fixed the audio issue was to set my cable box to output a fixed video resolution. I also have the receiver set to ext stereo (7-channel stereo) rather than auto digital - which sounds more likely to have fixed the audio issue now that I think about it. I don't get TV in DD 5.1, but neither do I get audio drop out. It sounds great in ext stereo
post #926 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I've never seen/heard it before either, but it does have GUI for a lot of the other feature (HMG, setup, etc).

What number have you been contacting Pioneer at?

There's also the iOS app...you can use that from your couch and it does have volume level and input selection all right there visible to you.
post #927 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I was having the same issue - which would have been a deal breaker, as it was waaay too annoying to tolerate. I've changed about a thousand settings since I first got the receiver (BF deal), but I think the one that fixed the audio issue was to set my cable box to output a fixed video resolution. I also have the receiver set to ext stereo (7-channel stereo) rather than auto digital - which sounds more likely to have fixed the audio issue now that I think about it. I don't get TV in DD 5.1, but neither do I get audio drop out. It sounds great in ext stereo

It seems to be some sort of Dolby communication interruption or something to me. I did not notice that when I had my Directv box set to output stereo but when I set it to output a Dolby signal I do see it.

I think it sounds better with the Dolby output, but these random dropouts are sort of driving me nuts. I think one time I turned on and off my directv box and it fixed it (temporarily). Still troubleshooting it to see if I can narrow down the problem, but wanted to see if you guys knew anything about it as well.

Glad it seems like it's on the Directv side and not my new receiver side. Now I just need to see if I can narrow down the issue and maybe give Directv a call about it.
post #928 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM

Has anyone been able to use Sirius Internet Radio thru the 1121? I can sign in and see the channels, but cannot play. Pioneer support said to factory reset, but that has not helped. Internet Radio works, but not Sirius IR.
post #929 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfalls View Post

Has anyone been able to use Sirius Internet Radio thru the 1121? I can sign in and see the channels, but cannot play. Pioneer support said to factory reset, but that has not helped. Internet Radio works, but not Sirius IR.

I can't even sign in for some reason. But I found out if you have an iphone you can use the iPhone app and use Airplay to make it play over your receiver which is easier navigation than using anything Pioneer is likely to have anyway. As far as I can tell there is no airplay button on the sirius app, but if you play something from your itunes and then switch to Sirius, it will continue to play over your receiver.
post #930 of 3298 Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM

When I first try to sign in, it gets an error. When I try a second time, it takes it. It will let me see all of the music menus within Sirius. It gets a track not found error when I select any channel.

Thx for the iPhone heads up, that is my next project to connect! Would be nice to just work over the network though. It's a great receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page