Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, answer me this one since I'm on a roll for getting my problems solved today.

Is there unique PowerOn and PowerOff IR commands? My Logitech Harmony Remote insists on using the Power Toggle command and it's my only device that occasionally goes on instead of off and off instead of on.

Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

yes.

but if i tell you what they are, i'll have to kill you...

seriously though... the discrete commands should be in the database (they are there for other models)... if you go into the "customize buttons" part of the software and click the dropdown box, you'll see them...

you may have to set up your activities again in order to use them... rather than using their "setup activity x" routine, manually set up each activity and force the usage of the discretes. it's been awhile since i've programmed a harmony remote, but if you get stuck, post back and i'll fire up the software and see if i can help you out...

keep in mind that the harmony will still use it's "smart state tracking", so you still may get outnof sync occasionally...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #993 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM

I've found a bug with HMG device lists. I have three DirecTV DVRs on my network. They all show up, but having the same device name appears to confuse the Pioneer. It can't scroll past one. So if the list shows another device in between two DirecTV devices I can't pick it. Very frustrating. I'm either going to need a fix from Pioneer or find a way to rename how each DirecTV DVR appears to the Pioneer.
post #994 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quick question for a new 1121 owner ... I have a U-Verse cable box, Apple TV, and PS3 - Which HDMI inputs should I use for each?

Appreciate the help!
post #995 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

it doesn't matter*... you may use whichever ones you like...

* note: we have found that on several pioneer models that cable boxes that have issues sometimes work better on the "last" port... after much discussion and experimentation, we decided that is likely an "unintended feature"....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #996 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

it doesn't matter*... you may use whichever ones you like...

* note: we have found that on several pioneer models that cable boxes that have issues sometimes work better on the "last" port... after much discussion and experimentation, we decided that is likely an "unintended feature"....

Thanks. You hit on the reason I ask. I put the cable in HDMI 1 but it didn't seem to read the box. When I put it in 6, it would read. PS3 worked fine in the "BD" HDMI port. Any trouble with Apple TV by users?

I was just wondering/beginning to worry that certain devices had to be in certain ports to work correctly.
post #997 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nope, atv will be fine no matter which one you use... atv's play well with repeaters (which is what the avr is in "hdmi speak")....

good on you! you experimented and found out something that worked for you... you are way ahead of most...

as noted, we were quite puzzled by this, and examined it at great length in the sc-05/07 thread... we finally came to the conclusion that the "last port" is a bit looser when it comes to hdcp, likely an artifact of testing on the device...

it doesn't appear to be unique to pio avrs, fwiw... i have heard of this working on d&m products as well...

- chris

post #998 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Thanks. You hit on the reason I ask. I put the cable in HDMI 1 but it didn't seem to read the box. When I put it in 6, it would read. PS3 worked fine in the "BD" HDMI port. Any trouble with Apple TV by users?

I was just wondering/beginning to worry that certain devices had to be in certain ports to work correctly.

You can always go into the input customization on the PIO and change what the readout says for any of the HDMI ports.

Mine don't say TV/SAT or BD they say:

TiVo
Blu-ray
Comcast Cable
CD Player...
post #999 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^

nope, atv will be fine no matter which one you use... atv's play well with repeaters (which is what the avr is in "hdmi speak")....

good on you! you experimented and found out something that worked for you... you are way ahead of most...

as noted, we were quite puzzled by this, and examined it at great length in the sc-05/07 thread... we finally came to the conclusion that the "last port" is a bit looser when it comes to hdcp, likely an artifact of testing on the device...

it doesn't appear to be unique to pio avrs, fwiw... i have heard of this working on d&m products as well...

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be back for more
post #1000 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post

You can always go into the input customization on the PIO and change what the readout says for any of the HDMI ports.

Mine don't say TV/SAT or BD they say:

TiVo
Blu-ray
Comcast Cable
CD Player...

I was going to do that. Is there an easy way to know which input to select on the remote?
post #1001 of 3318 Old 12-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

U-verse works fine, both audio and video. However, I'm having trouble with my PS3 and ATV. The video for both works fine, but the audio does not work at all. I receive nothing on PS3 in terms of audio and only the subwoofer for ATV. Any ideas???
post #1002 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:

I was going to do that. Is there an easy way to know which input to select on the remote?

Ah, the catch-22 of renaming the readout when the buttons on the remote can't be renamed. That's why I prefer Logitech Harmony remotes, in particular the 880. You can probably find one for $100 or so if you look around. Relatively easy to program on your PC and can be trained from your original remotes as well. I like that remote so well I have one in every room with a TV.
post #1003 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dthinker View Post

Ah, the catch-22 of renaming the readout when the buttons on the remote can't be renamed. That's why I prefer Logitech Harmony remotes, in particular the 880. You can probably find one for $100 or so if you look around. Relatively easy to program on your PC and can be trained from your original remotes as well. I like that remote so well I have one in every room with a TV.

Good point and I've got the Logitech Harmony 700, so I'm worrying about something I don't need to as far as that is concerned.

However, I am still wondering about the issue I described in the post above where the audio is working for U-Verse but not the PS3 and ATV. Any ideas what is causing this?
post #1004 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vath View Post

Anyone realize that while using the iPhone iControl app that ANY single change on the Finger Eq results in a Major increase in Bass and subwoofer response? I usually run the later of the two attached images and end up reducing my Bass with the App
Kind of a pain in the bASS
I'm currently getting used to my new Polk PSW505. (25-50% volume knob, -7db channel setting, 100Hz crossover(i think)) and i'm running crappy 6yr old onkyo speakers that came with my Onkyo HT R320 system, I think that is what's killing the potential of this new receiver

anyone?

XBR-55X850, KDL-40XBR4 8000+ hours
post #1005 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

And to echo back on the app (iControlAV2). I found my problem. It has something to do with my Dlink DIR-655 router. I hooked up my old Linksys WRT54G and the app finds the receiver within just a few seconds. At most 10-20 sec. Varies some, but much more reliable than the Dlink for some reason.

Anybody have any suggestions on the Dlink? I don't have any additional stuff turned on (MAC filtering, access control, etc...). It's pretty much stock except for setting up wireless security, etc...

Glad to hear you are making progress.
Doesn't sound like this may be your issue but I'll mention it in case it helps someone else. I found that my Android's wifi was going to sleep after 15 minutes and was having to wake up and connect to the router when an app was attempting to use it. This was causing a lengthy delay connecting to my 1121. Once I turned off the sleep policy, my 1121 is found within 3-4 seconds every time when starting up iControlAV2. And once I start it I leave it running in the background so it stays connected. I use a Dlink DIR-615 for the Android's wifi, with just UPnP and Multicast enabled. The 1121 is hard wired through a switch and ends up at the same router. iTunes/Airplay, iControlAV2, Pandora, DNLA, etc all work correctly.

ps. I must add that I love this AVR.
post #1006 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

U-verse works fine, both audio and video. However, I'm having trouble with my PS3 and ATV. The video for both works fine, but the audio does not work at all. I receive nothing on PS3 in terms of audio and only the subwoofer for ATV. Any ideas???

Any help on this one?
post #1007 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcurrent View Post

Glad to hear you are making progress.
Doesn't sound like this may be your issue but I'll mention it in case it helps someone else. I found that my Android's wifi was going to sleep after 15 minutes and was having to wake up and connect to the router when an app was attempting to use it. This was causing a lengthy delay connecting to my 1121. Once I turned off the sleep policy, my 1121 is found within 3-4 seconds every time when starting up iControlAV2. And once I start it I leave it running in the background so it stays connected. I use a Dlink DIR-615 for the Android's wifi, with just UPnP and Multicast enabled. The 1121 is hard wired through a switch and ends up at the same router. iTunes/Airplay, iControlAV2, Pandora, DNLA, etc all work correctly.

ps. I must add that I love this AVR.

Thanks. I do have that turned off, although I think for some reason my Droid Razr still drops the wifi occasionally which adds to the issues.

BUT, I finally got the DLink working. I should have known better, but I was believing the setup page for the router that there was no newer firmware. Wrong, updated from 1.21 to 1.35 and now it connects in 3-5 seconds just like yours. Woohoo!!

And yes, the receiver is awesome. The phone app is some nice icing on the cake too. I just discovered this morning that I can get to all the HMG stuff on my phone. That is super sweet as it will allow me to use HMG without turning on my projector for a display.
post #1008 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any help on this one?

ryan, check the audio output settings on the devices...

- chris

post #1009 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM

I have a Pioneer 1121 coming this week from Amazon $429. I plan on using this only for mainly movies and tv. Hooking this up to a Samsung 60d700 being del Monday. From reading from this form it isn't going to be just hooking up hdmi cables and it works. This is replacing a onyko 605 which was easy to set up and use. Anything I should really know before I run into trouble? Speakers fronts monitor 70s center Cs2 rears monitor 50s
post #1010 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Got up this morning and the remote that came with the Pioneer wouldn't work. Not even the Power button. The Harmony did, so I knew it wasn't the amp. Finally after pressing what I thought was every button on the remote I hit the Receiver button and that brought it alive again. Would have though the dedicated Receiver Power button would have at least worked no matter what other device was selected.

Another thing I wish the 1121 would do would be to drop back to the previous device whenever the HMG option was cancelled by whatever device using it.
post #1011 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

Thanks. I do have that turned off, although I think for some reason my Droid Razr still drops the wifi occasionally which adds to the issues.

BUT, I finally got the DLink working. I should have known better, but I was believing the setup page for the router that there was no newer firmware. Wrong, updated from 1.21 to 1.35 and now it connects in 3-5 seconds just like yours. Woohoo!!

And yes, the receiver is awesome. The phone app is some nice icing on the cake too. I just discovered this morning that I can get to all the HMG stuff on my phone. That is super sweet as it will allow me to use HMG without turning on my projector for a display.

Excellent news, glad you got it working right. Yep, the app is great. I am going to be putting it on a tablet soon which should be really nice.

And thank you for the reminder on firmware. I, like you, believed the router that there was no newer firmware. I checked Dlink's site just now and sure enough there have been two revisions since my version, and the new one fixes an issue I have been having with DHCP reservations.
Have a great day.
post #1012 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dthinker View Post

Ah, the catch-22 of renaming the readout when the buttons on the remote can't be renamed. .

You can't rename the buttons on the remote? On my old VSX-45TX Elite remote I can rename at the receiver and also rename on the remote screen. Does the 1121 remote not allow this or doesn't it have a screen? Now I use the Pioneer remote for 90% of my theater electronics so I hope the new remote is just as good as my 10 year old unit is.
post #1013 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl1 View Post

You can't rename the buttons on the remote? On my old VSX-45TX Elite remote I can rename at the receiver and also rename on the remote screen. Does the 1121 remote not allow this or doesn't it have a screen? Now I use the Pioneer remote for 90% of my theater electronics so I hope the new remote is just as good as my 10 year old unit is.

My old Sony was that way ... no screen on this remote. Just a plethora of buttons.

Thing about the Harmony remotes is when you rename the inputs, it doesn't rename them in setup. I try to pick the closest default labeled one and use it if I can.

Jason
post #1014 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post

My old Sony was that way ... no screen on this remote. Just a plethora of buttons.

Jason

Well that sucks . . . I may just keep my old Pioneer remote and use that. Of course that may be an issue since I do plan to sell the Pioneer Elite VSX-45 after the 1121 shows up. I may just have to use my MX1000 Theatermaster remote which utilizes a touch screen even though I prefer a remote with buttons and a screen. Decisions, decisions . . .
post #1015 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Yep, no screen on the included remote. All buttons.
post #1016 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ryan, check the audio output settings on the devices...

I got the PS3 to work by changing the audio output setting. However, I cannot find anywhere in ATV that would help me out? Has anyone else had a problem with the 1121 and ATV?
post #1017 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
I have a house full of Apple items, but had no idea about AirPlay until buying this receiver. It is brilliant! It works easily and consistently - love it! Really liking the receiver so far. Sounds great and the features are awesome.
post #1018 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@ryan...

one down, one to go... if i get a chance, i'll fire up my atv later and see what the menus say...

you have an atv2, correct?

- chris

post #1019 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@ryan...

one down, one to go... if i get a chance, i'll fire up my atv later and see what the menus say...

you have an atv2, correct?

Correct - ATV2. I've used an HDMI for the following connection:

ATV2 > Pioneer 1121 > TV
post #1020 of 3318 Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Just a bump - I hope some of you have a similar issue and have figured this one out! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_a View Post

Hello!

I have the 1121 connected via HDMI to my Scientific Atlanta cable / DVR and my Samsung LCD-TV. Occasionally, maybe daily, the TV (whose volume I have set to "0") starts to broadcast a static / crackling sound for a few minutes, then stops. If I change the setting on the receiver so that it goes to a different source / output (like tuner) the crackling goes away. The really odd thing is that the sound is turned off on the TV speaker.

I've tried changing HDMI cables to make sure it was not a bum connection with no success

Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Thanks for you thoughts!

- Rich

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page