Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi bzal1122,

You replied,
Quote:

I also would like to second the power cord not feeling like it is plugged in completely. It almost feels like the prongs on the back of the receiver aren't thick enough.

Thanks for that, I am glad that mine is not the only one like that!
It has not been a problem and the power cord has not fallen out, just feels like it could be a more solid connection.
I have thought of trying another IEC cable but all of my others have a ground.
Which is another thing..Why no Ground Plug?

Later,
Bud B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3319 Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi bzal1122,

You replied,

It has not been a problem and the power cord has not fallen out, just feels like it could be a more solid connection.

Later,
Bud B

Like you guys, when I got my 1120 that was the first thing that caught my eye...and even tho it looks like it might fall off it hasn't so I guess that's the way it was designed.
post #93 of 3319 Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Howdy,
Ask and you shall receive!
Here are some quick pics of my Elite 52..Please Note that this is not it's final resting place.
Just a Quick Setup Location at the time!

Later,
Bud B

Thanks a lot for the images, that's a very nice unit...I hope some day I can jump to the big leagues, the Elite league that is..
post #94 of 3319 Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 92
Quote:

Hi bzal1122,

You replied,

Later,
Bud B

you can use the power cable with the ground plug... there's no issues doing that... it won't care...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #95 of 3319 Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Howdy,
Ask and you shall receive!
Here are some quick pics of my Elite 52..Please Note that this is not it's final resting place.
Just a Quick Setup Location at the time!

Later,
Bud B

WOW, what a sexy piece of equipment! man that looks just massive, pretty heavy? I have to pull the trigger soon, this waiting game is giving me a headache..... Thanks for the pics Bud!
post #96 of 3319 Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy ccotenj,
You said,
Quote:

you can use the power cable with the ground plug... there's no issues doing that... it won't care...

You know sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!
You are perfectly right, who cares that there is a Ground on the replacement power cord, it's just not used! So simple.

I went into my power cord box (I have about 6 IEC power cords collected over the years) and I grabbed a couple of my grounded IEC cords...
Went to the E52 and swapped out the OEM cord for my Grounded IEC and it went in further and feels much more like an IEC cord into Gear should feel!!
They are both shaped exactly the same whether it is a 2 Conductor or a 3 conductor with in this case, an un-used ground

I put the OEM 2 conductor power cord into my cord box!

Thanks ccotenj...If you have a spare one try it!

Later,
Bud B
post #97 of 3319 Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 92
^^^

you are welcome...

"not seeing the forest for the trees"... man, if i had a nickle for every time i did that, i'd be a rich man... i don't know how many times i've beaten my head up against the wall on something, only to have someone come along and point out the obvious solution to me...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #98 of 3319 Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 AM

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but according to Pioneer's website their iControlAV2 applet is Apple only. However, I just downloaded it to my Evo and it works like a charm.

Just FYI if it helps anyone. Loving the new receiver and setup so far but definitely feeling a little overwhelmed. Heh.
post #99 of 3319 Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Casemanx,

Quote:
Loving the new receiver and setup so far but definitely feeling a little overwhelmed.

I can second that, it is much more than my VSX 1020.. and though I have the Elite VSX 52 it is (except for a few things) just like your VSX 1121.
I am still going through the OP Manual and discovering more!

I also like it a lot...Sounds Great!

Bud B
post #100 of 3319 Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Does this receiver offer web-based control or just through the IOS app?
post #101 of 3319 Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Ripnickus,

You asked,
Quote:

Does this receiver offer web-based control or just through the IOS app?

I assume that by iOS app you mean: iOS (known as iPhone OS)
It will use the I-Phone, I-Pod and I-Pad as well as Android.
It will also use some Web/Internet based Apps such as Pandora, Rhapsody, Sirius, I-Tunes from Apple devices or computers on a Router Home Group Setup.

What Web Based Control were you thinking of?

Quote:

Additionally, the VSX 1121 has been independently tested and certified by custom partners Control 4, Crestron, AMX, RTI, Universal Remote and Savant ensuring seamless integration that gives you a wide choice of advanced control options for IP, Serial, and IR commands.

Later,
Bud B
post #102 of 3319 Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Winston,

Any way we can get a thread name change? People are posting VSX 52 threads all over the place now.
post #103 of 3319 Old 07-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

I just Posted this at the new Elite VSX 52 & 53 Owners thread...

Quote:
Hi all,

Well we now have three places that are posting about the Elite VSX 52...
I have posted links below to their last pages, so you can reference back through those posts as well for information..

1) The VSX 1121 Thread
Link here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1330154&page=4

2) The VSX 52 vs VSX 53 Thread
Link here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1344459&page=2

3) And now here.....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1350053

Since I do own the Elite VSX 52 I Will start Posting at the new thread....
At least we can try and Group it together...

I would tell everyone that does come here and are new to the Elite VSX 52 / 53 you will probably want to reference the two links above.
There have been questions, answers and reviews posted there as well.
There have also been many references about the likenesses of the VSX 1121 and the Elite VSX 52.

So, if you have the new Elite VSX 52 or the VSX 53 then Congrats on a Great Purchase!
These Threads should help you Enjoy your new Purchase.....
If your just checking out your next receiver, I give it 2 Thumbs Up!
Happy Reading....

Good Luck to all..

Have a Great Day!

Bud B

Just an FYI for those Elite VSX 52 & 53 owners...

Bud B
PS. We can still be checking ALL of the threads because of the familiarity of these receivers... Enjoy!
post #104 of 3319 Old 07-28-2011, 05:26 PM

I got my 1121 a couple of days ago. Everything seems to work great, but Pandora is nowhere to be found in the HMG area. I contacted Pioneer customer support and here was their reply:

"If your getting Sirius and Rhapsody but not Pandora it may be a problem with the processor. Try resetting the system reset (page 53), if Pandora still does not display you may have a defective unit."

I tried the reset and it didn't help. Could the lack of the Pandora option really mean the processor is defective? Everything else seems to work fine. I did update the firmware to the latest version.
post #105 of 3319 Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wonder if Pioneer fixed the 1120 bug where the receiver would cut off and the ipod light would blink on the display? It seemed more than a few had that happen with them. If they did fix that I am interested in the 1121.

<><

RTR
post #106 of 3319 Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Hi BAMAVADER,

I would find it very unlikely since the VSX 1121 is NOT the VSX 1120.
Hardware and Software is all new and improved!
Like Onkyo with their Heating Problems of last year, I have not heard of that popping up again.
Then again I do not spend a lot of time in their threads.

I would say that Manufacturers usually learn as they move forward!
Otherwise people will not buy and their Company will not move forward>
The VSX 1120 problem that you mentioned is the first that I have heard of it, so it must not have been rampant!
Was it repaired with a Firmware Update?

I think that you are pretty safe!
If in doubt..buy the Elite VSX 52! LOL!

Have a Great Weekend,

Bud B
post #107 of 3319 Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:

What Web Based Control were you thinking of?

Interested in this too. By web based control, I believe he means a can you use a web browser to log into a control panel and control this unit from a computer? Yamaha allows this with the Aventage series.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...-Web-Gui-2.htm
post #108 of 3319 Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhazel View Post

Interested in this too. By web based control, I believe he means a can you use a web browser to log into a control panel and control this unit from a computer? Yamaha allows this with the Aventage series.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...-Web-Gui-2.htm

yes!!
post #109 of 3319 Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM

So I just picked up a 52 on a whim after reading about it here. Upgraded from my 1020k because I wanted a little more umph for my fronts (vienna acoustics grand bachs) and I wanted airplay on my network. So far I'm very unimpressed with this thing The "umph" (i.e. the extra ~20 watts) just isn't there. And even after running mcacc, something just doesn't quite sound... right. I'm sure it's something in the settings, but so far I've done all the same things I did with my 1020k and I'm missing that golden tone.

Serious gripes:
*Remote control D-pad does not work in the HMG. Wondering if anyone else can double check this for me. Every button works fine EXCEPT for the dpad/enter key. You have to use the dpad on the front panel to do anything which is a pain.
*The rhapsody implementation is crap. Can't access library, it just crashes Only way to get around to this is to manually search for stuff, which brings me too:
*Text input is utter crap. I could write text messages on a rotary phone faster than I can input into this receiver. It seriously took me 5 minutes each just to enter my rhapsody/pandora account info. Wouldn't be such a huge issue if the iOS app would allow text input, but it just brings you to a screen saying function not supported. And since the remote apparently isn't supported either, i have to get down on my stomach and enter it from the front panel

Minor gripes:
*Exact same commodore64 interface as my 1020k.
*Plethora of blue lights on the front kind of annoying
*Larger size than my 1020k so it doesn't quite fit in my cabinet. Not a huge deal other than it doesn't seem to do much more than what my 1020k did aside from the network functions. And the +20 watts doesn't seem to do anything more. So why the extra girth?
*Really does feel just like the 1121k with the elite logo silkscreened on it. Not sure what the point of having both models is.
*Loose power cord does not inspire confidence.

Going to give it a few more days to play with, but I may end up returning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

yes!!

Yes it does have a web inteface or yes you are interested in knowing the answer too? Tried connecting to it and all I get is the option to download MCACC data.
post #110 of 3319 Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The VSX 1120 problem that you mentioned is the first that I have heard of it, so it must not have been rampant!
Was it repaired with a Firmware Update?

You can do a quick google search and see that it was a problem...the problem is even mentioned in the troubleshooting section of the 1120 manual so it had to have been common. Hopefully they fixed it.

<><

RTR
post #111 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Hi jwhazel,

Quote:

The "umph" (i.e. the extra ~20 watts) just isn't there.

When it comes to Power amps 20 Watts is very small.
In the Pro Audio realm (Crown Power Amps and Band PA's) it is a known fact that you almost have to Double the watts to actually hear it!
In other words if you have a Crown Power amp rated at 1000 watts per channel and you upgrade to 1200 watts per channel..do not expect to hear any difference..you really need to make a much bigger jump in power.
That's why in Home Audio you see so much made of one receiver at say 100 watts and another one at 110 or 120..10 or 20 watts is a 10% to 20% difference....How can you expect it to sound as if it was a 50% difference.
Think of how small that is 10 to 20% and really Audio is not exponential...
So it was unfortunate that you thought that 20 watts was going to wake up your speakers...
Maybe you might want to use your Pre-Outs to an actual Power Amp.
This is also why you will see actual Full Blown Home Theaters that DO have actual Power Amps either with their receivers or a Pre-Amp / Processor and a Power Amp...separate components.
They know that 120 watts will not shake their room.

I also own the VSX 1020K in my bedroom. I will say that the Elite 52 in my living room did not setup the same..but nothing IS the Same.
If your Elite 52 was installed into the exact same place as your 1020K you may want to compare the MCACC results from the 1020 to your 52 setup.
I pulled up my specs on my 52 after it ran its MCACC on Full auto to what was in my 1020's MCACC in my bedroom.
I knew that they cannot compare because of all the room differences and different speakers, it is not Apples to Apples.
I just did it for Shits and Giggles.
However if you pulled out the 1020 and slid in the E52, I would be interested in looking at the MCACC results.
Just remember that between the 1020 and the E52 they DO have different processing.
One thing that I noticed is my 1020 set the Crossover at 80Hz and my E52 set the Crossover at 150Hz, I changed the Crossover to 80Hz..
this will make a difference with your Speakers..obviously..so check this on your E52.
If you still have the 1020 you just need to run a HDMI Cable to see your MCACC, nothing else needs to be connected.
Bottom line the E52 was not as Plug and Play as my 1020 was..but again there were so many changes from my Living Room to my bedroom....
The E52 DOES Give you a lot of adjustments, so tweak it a bit and I am sure that you will find it's Sweet spot to your room.
Remember that when the 1020's came out there were more discussions in this forum about the MCACC setup than anything else!
Just like you and your E52 there were many that thought the same of your 1020 and you ended up liking it a lot!
It turned out that the reference Mic placement was very very important as well as setting the proper speaker size comparable to if you had a Sub or not!
The E52 has a different MCACC Processor so be a little patient and understanding....That is why there are so many adjustments that you can make for your individeual setup!
I'd say that hey if Auto MCACC works with your Room and Speaker setup, right out of the box then God Bless!
But if it does not, relax, You have the Technology needed to get it right!
I do like my E52 and the Surrounds and Audio is a welcome and comfortable Experience, because of my time with the 1020, which I am listening to as I type this.
I have also thought that I would like to put the E52 into my Bedroom for a Week and see what an actual comparison sounds and looks like.
I could just do a second MCACC Memory for it.

Quote:

Plethora of blue lights on the front kind of annoying

The Blue lights do not bother me any more than the Blue and Red lights do on my 1020. My dimmer is setup so it goes almost dark after a remote adjustment, the same as my 1020.

Quote:

Remote control D-pad does not work in the HMG.

I am not as familiar with this because I do not use the HMG!
I do know that even though I do not use "Rhapsody" I still did the Rhapsody "Firmware Update" as soon as I got my E52.
The reference to the D'Pad really threw me and I was looking in the OP Manual for this D'Pad button and then as I read further down in your post I saw you refer to it as a D'Pad / Enter button.
This does not make sense to me and something that we will see in this thread what others say about it.
You may want to actually call Pioneer Support on Monday (or sometime) and then let US know what they say..also address your other Texting issues.
The information that took you 5 minutes to Input..is that a one time affair?
If so I would not sweat it.

Quote:

The rhapsody implementation is crap

Did you do the Rhapsody "Firmware Update?"

Quote:

I could write text messages on a rotary phone faster than I can input into this receiver

How were you inputting the Text? Via the remote or an I-Phone App..etc...?
There is the ability to connect a Keyboard via USB...would that work better for Text?
Borrow your Computer's Keyboard..Page 23 of the OP Manual.

Quote:

Really does feel just like the 1121k with the elite logo silkscreened on it. Not sure what the point of having both models is.

I did see that the 1121 does not have any 12volt Triggers, the E52 has two.
There is also a 2 Year Warranty for the Elite compared to the 1 Year Warranty for the 1121.
On Paper there is not a lot of Differences between the Elite VSX 52 and the VSX 1121.
There is obviously the looks of the units.
Again, not a lot but there is a difference!

Quote:

Loose power cord does not inspire confidence

If you have an old 3 prong IEC Cable from an old Monitor or Computer etc...
Plug this into your Pioneer and you aill notice a difference!
Don't worry about the ground wire in the cord..it's just not used, but the IEC Cords whether 2 prong or 3 prong are shaped exactly the same!
My old Monitor cord plugged in nice and firmly!
The Pioneer cord went into my Cord Box and back up on the shelf!
Problem Solved!

Quote:

Going to give it a few more days to play with, but I may end up returning it.

I would! I know that it did not go in like your 1020 but I think that when you get the kinks worked out...you will really like it.
If not there are more fish in the Sea LOL!

Good Luck,
Bud B
post #112 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 AM

Thanks Bud. Unfortunately I made the really dumb decision to reset the mcacc in my 1020 before I pulled it out. I remember buying that thing used and spending ~30 mins after first setting it up trying to figure out why it sounded so strange only to find the previous persons mcacc settings in there being applied to my setup. Since I was planning on selling it, I didn't want the next user to go through what I did.

I do understand the logarithmic relationship between wattage, dB, and perceived loudness. It was more that I was hoping that there was some difference between the "direct energy" amp in the 1020 and the "advanced direct energy" in the e52. I can here no difference, which leads me to wonder what the purpose of ramping up the power output was in the first place. Also makes me wonder if there really is that much of a difference moving up to the d-ice 140watt of the SC series.

Quote:

I am not as familiar with this because I do not use the HMG!
I do know that even though I do not use "Rhapsody" I still did the Rhapsody "Firmware Update" as soon as I got my E52.
The reference to the D'Pad really threw me and I was looking in the OP Manual for this D'Pad button and then as I read further down in your post I saw you refer to it as a D'Pad / Enter button.
This does not make sense to me and something that we will see in this thread what others say about it.

Is this something you could check for me the next time you turn it on (you don't have to actually have anything set up like rhapsody/pandora)? It's real simple: just flip the input to HMG and have your TV turned on so you get the on screen display. On the screen you'll see a list of services, try scrolling up or down using the up/down buttons on the remote.

Quote:

Did you do the Rhapsody "Firmware Update?"

Mine must of have been hot of the assembly line as it has the latest firmware. The best way I can describe this to a non rhapsody user - imagine you buy a new computer, turn it on, and plug it into the internet. Now lets say that for some reason the address bar in your browser is broken and you have to search for everything you want to go to in google first. Now lets say that the only way to search for stuff is by inputting one character at a time by pressing the up/down arrows on the keyboard. It gets really annoying really quickly. This workaround in rhapsody could mostly be mitigated by allowing the "my library" function to work. Unfortunately it just reports "server not available" every time. Seems like whoever wrote the rhapsody implementation at Pioneer forgot to test this fairly important function.

Quote:

How were you inputting the Text? Via the remote or an I-Phone App..etc...?
There is the ability to connect a Keyboard via USB...would that work better for Text?
Borrow your Computer's Keyboard..Page 23 of the OP Manual.

This is the funny/frustrating part. In HMG:
remote - doesn't work. Would require the D-pad which I'm not able to get the up/down buttons to work just in that one input mode
iOS app - doesn't work. Seems like a naturally good idea but whenever you go into HMG input on the app and select something that needs text input the app just reports that can't go any further
usb keyboard - i'll have to test this later today. I did see that blurb in the manual about it however it seems to explicitly state this is for input renaming and radio station renaming. I don't know if it will actually work the HMG input screens.
front panel - this is the only way I can currently do it, by using the D-pad on the front panel. It's extremely cumbersome.

Quote:

If you have an old 3 prong IEC Cable from an old Monitor or Computer etc...
Plug this into your Pioneer and you aill notice a difference!

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. I've got animals that like the crawl behind the cabinet and it seems like that power cable is just begging to fall out as soon as it's bumped.

Quote:

If not there are more fish in the Sea LOL!

Thats the sad thing... for me, there isn't. I work for an authorized distributor so my price on the e52 was, well... something I couldn't refuse There doesn't appear to be any other amp out there that has airplay, pandora, rhapsody. The 3312ci comes really close, but clocked in at way more $$$ and has a few minor things that I don't like (mainly their lack of ipad app).

After playing with it more and enjoying the wonder of Airplay, I may keep the e52 since selling my 1020 would nearly let me break even. The only bad thing now is still trying to figure out how to fit this thing in my cabinet. I did the measurements before buying, but forgot to account for HDMI cable depth
post #113 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Hi jwhazel,

Quote:

I made the really dumb decision to reset the mcacc in my 1020 before I pulled it out.

Wow, but still I do not blame you, you just got a new receiver, why would you think that you would still use the 1020 for any reference at all!

However, in Hindsight and for anyone replacing an existing setup that sounds good in your current environment, you can usually save those settings to a USB thumb drive for comparison on your computer..I do not think with the E52 using different software for it's MCACC that you could have actually loaded them into your E52, but, you could have compared your rooms EQ Curve's and Settings and manually if needed, Setup/Tweak your E52.

Quote:

Is this something you could check for me the next time you turn it on (you don't have to actually have anything set up like rhapsody/pandora)? It's real simple: just flip the input to HMG and have your TV turned on so you get the on screen display. On the screen you'll see a list of services, try scrolling up or down using the up/down buttons on the remote.

OK, I just checked it out and yes you have to use the D'Pad / Control buttons behind the front panel for direct access.
That makes no sense to me at all, the GUI comes up on the Screen, why would you not have the ability from the comfort of your chair and with the remote, to just go through it.
First, I will call Pioneer myself and ask if this is something that will be corrected by a later Firmware Update and why it is NOT something that was setup that way right out of the box?!
What would be the possible reason that this function was not setup for remote access!
Secondly, If the bottom line from Pioneer is that it will remain a D'Pad only function and it is a Feature that you use, then you would really want to make sure that the receiver is located at least chest high
so you have easy access to it!
My brother (as an example) has a sectional entertainment center meaning a tower on each side and then a large Top unit with fancy recessed lights, his 60" floor rolling Mitsubishi HDTV then rolls into the space provided.
The Audio and Video components are located in his right tower and they are chest to eye level.
He keeps his I-Pod there and can just walk up to it and a few few clicks and he is done, you could easily stand with a Beer (or Soda / Water LOL) and load Blu-Rays and adjust whatever.
Something to think about if you have to keep tethered to the front D'Pad.
It is a beautiful piece of furniture and expensive but you can find them in all price ranges and setups.
I have never been a big proponent of of a knee high ET center that the HDTV sits on because it IS so hard to access your equipment.
The reason my E52 is on my Power Amp racks right now is because I am still trying to determine what my final setup will be, i.e. Components to my Kuro Plasma.
Things like this may push me to think high or a Tower for my components...especially because of access needed.

Of course these days almost all of the receivers have a front D'Pad if you will, with a myriad of buttons and controls.
Unless every button and function is doubled for on the remote or some other access, you have to leave yourself access to them.

But I digress, that has nothing to do with the question at hand..
Give me tomorrow and I will call Pioneer and post their response here.

Thankfully I do not use HMG so it is not a big deal for me, (I had to turn the Input Skip Off just to check it out) but I may want to use it someday,
and you know the old saying, "Don't put off to tomorrow, what you can do today."
So I'll check it out.
Thanks for bringing it up jwhazel.

Lastly..
Quote:

but forgot to account for HDMI cable depth

There are some Hi-Speed HDMI Right angle adapters that might work for you and help with space...90 degree left or right and 90 & 270 degree down.
Depending on what else you have plugged into the back you may find an angle that works for you...
I'll post a link... http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ngle+&x=12&y=3

A swivel Adapter at Amazon.. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

This one has the swivel adapter built into a HDMI Cable..It is 10 feet long, I know that they have shorter lengths and might have longer than 10 feet.
Click on "Amazon Basics" and you can do a Search..Check out the Reviews http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...126613&sr=1-55

In Summary though, when you said..
Quote:

The "umph" (i.e. the extra ~20 watts) just isn't there.

The uumph IS there with the Elite VSX 52 over the VSX 1020, just not in the Power Amplifier uumph that you were looking for!
When you look back at the VSX 1020's Brochure and then the new Elite VSX 52's brochure you can easily see where all of the uumph went into the E52.
Refresh here..
VSX 1020 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...VSX-1020-K.pdf

Elite VSX 52 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

Later, I'm going Fishing....

Bud B
post #114 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 12:33 PM

I've been reading this thread for a very long time. I currently have a vsx-1120 and really like it. I'm wanting to upgrade to the vsx-1121 for air play and Rhapsody. What's the best price anyone has found on the 1121 so far. And buying online works for me , my 1120 came from Abe's. Thanks in advance for any help, and really like the forum.
post #115 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 PM

Alright, a couple hours of fooling around with it and I'm starting to see some pleasing results. Weird thing is though that MCACC is grossly overestimating the distance of my speakers, roughly by 2x.

Most of my nice golden tone is back for my music.

Quote:
OK, I just checked it out and yes you have to use the D'Pad / Control buttons behind the front panel for direct access.
That makes no sense to me at all, the GUI comes up on the Screen, why would you not have the ability from the comfort of your chair and with the remote, to just go through it.
Lame. I'm writing an email to them now as this is surely a system wide bug. I'll forgive them though, early firmwares are prone to bugs. Lets just hope they take it seriously enough to fix it.

Quote:
I'm wanting to upgrade to the vsx-1121 for air play and Rhapsody.
Rebel, airplay works great... rhapsody not so much. In the interim I've been using the rhapsody app on my iphone/ipad and just sending the audio over airplay. It works fine other than slight delays between songs since it has to download and buffer to the iDevice then buffer again and send it to the receiver. Just giving you a fair warning.

Also, I vote too that the title of this thread be changed to reflect VSX-1121/VSX-52 since they are the same receiver.

v Edit: your right, I meant VSX-52
post #116 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

jwhazel, I'm glad to hear that your tone is coming back!
It's always been inside the E52 you just needed to help extract it a bit....Software is Software and none of it is perfect!
Yours is the reason to not just blindly trust it!
Like GPS's running people over cliffs! LOL! YOU are the deciding factor! Go for It!

You also said,,
Quote:
Also, I vote too that the title of this thread be changed to reflect VSX-1121/VSX-53 since they are the same receiver.
Well...Not really.........

In reality the VSX 1121 compares more closely to the Elite VSX 52 but without two 12volt triggers.

The VSX 1121 compares to the Elite VSX 53 but less:
1) Two 12volt triggers
2) 2nd HDMI Out
3) Full Band Phase Control
4) Zone 3 Audio Pre-Out
5) IR (2 In / 1 Out)
6) Don't forget the Aluminum Front Panel...LOL!

But other than those changes the Hardware and Software is the same.

Rebel,
I saw the VSX 1121 at Amazon today for $679.00 but be aware that it also states: "Ships from and sold by Crawford's Superstore." Not Amazon direct!
Crawford's Superstore is not listed as an actual Pioneer On-Line Authorized Agent, I would bet that they are NOT! They are not listed on Pioneer's website..see link below..
Your receipt will probably be from "Crawford's Superstore" and not from Amazon, you may have a Warranty issue!
NewEgg, B&H, J&R, Vann's are still solid at $799.99!

Pioneer Authorized On-Line retailers....Some have links that you can click on to go to their Website..
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ceName=default

Link Here for VSX1121 at Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11.../dp/B004M8RPBS
If you click on "5 New" you will see a page open that shows, Crawford's, Amazon, J&R etc.. The VSX 1121 from Amazon shows no price but a click to Cart to see Price, go ahead and do that,
you can always just remove it or close the window, but you will see the actual Amazon.com Authorized Price. It's pretty close to Crawford's price and I would pay the extra $$ to get it from Amazon!
On the same page if you click on the VSX 1021, the VSX 1021 page will open and it states: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." Now that is Authorized!
So be careful out there!

Check around...but make sure that you are purchasing from an "Authorized Pioneer Retailer" if not you may be in for some real troubles if you have a problem.
Check with the seller as to what happens if you do have a problem.
Just remember.."Buyer Beware!"

Later guys,

Bud B
post #117 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Sudo update:

For anyone with a 1121 or VSX-52 wanting to use Rhapsody... you must update the firmware manually.

I made the callous assumption that updating via network would grab the latest and greatest updates. Not so. You need to go to the 1121/52 page on Pioneers website and click the firmware tab, download and extract file to a fat 16/32 usb drive, and manually update in the settings menu. This changes a few menus in the HMG for Rhapsody and will allow things like "My Library" to function properly.

Sadly it doesn't seem to fix the "trying to navigate HMG with the remote buttons" bug. I'l be emailing them about that tomorrow. But lessen learned: if you find a bug, check the firmware version on pioneers page vs. whats on your receiver. Don't rely on the network update function to work properly.

Also confirmed:

*A USB keyboard is supported, however in very limited capacity You can only use the up/down/left/right arrows for HMG. You can't actually use it to input text for say searching for an artist on Rhapsody or creating a new station in Pandora. Not even really worth the hassle of digging a keyboard out and plugging it in.

*Rhapsody streams come in the form of WMV @ 128kbps. I'm probably the only person in the world who cares, but it's something I've always wondered about what streaming rates Rhapsody uses on certain devices (if you've read this far and are curious, I've confirmed iOS devices stream AAC+ @ 64kbps).
post #118 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up and the info. Might wait a little while before pulling the trigger. Hopefully the issue with Rhapsody can be resolved.
post #119 of 3319 Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Do I need a entire separate amp to run 5.1 in the living room and have two speakers in the dining room?

If I wanted to add a third zone what do I need to buy to power it? Just a separate amp?

I am only looking for audio in zone two and the possible zone three.

Does this receiver not pass digital audio to to zone 2
post #120 of 3319 Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quick question. Does the airplay allow video as well or does it only do audio?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page