Advertisement

post #122 of 3301 Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel97 View Post

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up and the info. Might wait a little while before pulling the trigger. Hopefully the issue with Rhapsody can be resolved.

Sorry for the confusion, Rhapsody issue has been resolved. Just need to manually update the firmware from Pioneers site. See my previous post for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsherve View Post

If I wanted to add a third zone what do I need to buy to power it? Just a separate amp? Does this receiver not pass digital audio to to zone 2

Might want to consider the VSX-53 as it supports 3 zones natively. As far as passing digital, no it does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

Quick question. Does the airplay allow video as well or does it only do audio?

The only thing that currently does video is the Apple tv. The pioneer will however support album art FWIW.
post #123 of 3301 Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 1121 ON BB's SITE? ?
post #124 of 3301 Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Can anybody else with a 1121 verify that they have Pandora listed in the HMG? I only have Sirius and Rhaspody listed. Pioneer support said I may have a bad processor, but everything else seems to work fine. I can still return my unit for exchange and get another one, just wanted to make sure others can see Pandora.
post #125 of 3301 Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi jwhazel and others...

I called Pioneer today and I was told that their is no plans at this time to take the Home Media Gallery Setup that is Direct Access with the D'Pad and allow it to work with the remote.

Secondly, on the Pioneer WebSite for the Elite's Compare Page, Link here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare
If you checked off all of the boxes at the top: (Except 2 Zone Capable)
THX Certified
Air Studios Certified
Class D Amplification
PC Control
Detachable Power Cord
3 Zone Capable

The resulting receivers shown will be the SC37, SC35 and the VSX 53.
I confirmed with Pioneer that this is in Error and the VSX 53 should not be shown, because it does NOT have Class D Amplification or Air Studios Certification!
Just an FYI for anyone that sees this and wonders what is up like I did.

Pioneer also confirmed to me that the VSX1121 does not have any 12volt Triggers as is stated in the VSX 1121 Brochure!

Lastly a Poster over at the Elite VSX 52 & 53 thread asked, Why the Sub does not come on when "EXT. Stereo" is Selected.
Pioneer's response is that the Sub is not Setup correctly .
Check the Speaker Setup and try again..

Just a few FYI's,

Bud B.........
post #126 of 3301 Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,
Just an FYI and these are out of my League..BUT...

Pioneer just added the replacements for the Elite SC35 and the SC37!
They are the SC55 and SC57 respectively! No Price Yet....

Link Here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

SC55 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

SC57 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

SC55 & SC57 Operators Manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions060711.pdf

Hey, Who says you can't Dream! LOL!
However, be it the VSX 1121 or the Elite VSX 52 were in the neighborhood and a nice neighborhood it is!

Later,

Bud B
post #127 of 3301 Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Hi wanab,

Quote:
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 1121 ON BB's SITE? ?

I don't know what is going on with Best Buy's Website but be assured that they are being Sold at Best Buy.
I was in a Best Buy Magnolia Store yesterday and they had the VSX 1121 as well as the Elite SC35 and the SC37.
They will also be carrying the new Elite SC55 and SC57.
I asked the salesmen why they were not listed on their website but they did not know why!

So, I guess it is a Mystery at this point.
If you want to place an order and have it shipped to a local store you will probably want to call them direct....

Later,

Bud B
post #128 of 3301 Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Hey guys,
I just bought some used KEF iq9, iq6c, and iq10 rear speakers and am thinking about purchasing the vsx-1121 (I can get it for 500). Do you guys think the receiver would be enough to power those speakers?
post #129 of 3301 Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi wanab,

I don't know what is going on with Best Buy's Website but be assured that they are being Sold at Best Buy.
I was in a Best Buy Magnolia Store yesterday and they had the VSX 1121 as well as the Elite SC35 and the SC37.
They will also be carrying the new Elite SC55 and SC57.
I asked the salesmen why they were not listed on their website but they did not know why!

So, I guess it is a Mystery at this point.
If you want to place an order and have it shipped to a local store you will probably want to call them direct....

Later,

Bud B

I went to two Best Buy's in Wisconsin. Both said it was removed. They told me there were too many problems with the 1121 that they had to remove it until Pioneer gets some problems worked out. That's what they told me...........
post #130 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Hi wanab,

Quote:

They told me there were too many problems with the 1121 that they had to remove it until Pioneer gets some problems worked out.

WOW! That's a first for Pioneer if it's true!

My Elite VSX 52 and now 53 have worked flawlessly for me over the last few weeks and we all know that they are Cousins or something like that.
I just swapped out my E52 for an Elite VSX 53 yesterday at BB and they did not say anything, but then again I was getting an Elite and not the VSX 1121.

We will have to check this out further, obviously there have been a large group of people in here that have just received new 1121's and
we have not seen anyone post with problems other than getting to know the receiver and setup help!
Strange that there are supposedly these terrible problems and no one in here has posted!

So, I will throw it out to the masses...
Anyone with a new 1121 having any problems?
Post if so.....

Gotta Run, Have a Great Friday Everyone!

Bud B
post #131 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 AM

Well, I've finally started using mine heavily and it does have some weird issues. The worst is that anytime you actually unplug the power from it, and then plug it back in and power it on the video from receiver (any source) *pulses* (or flickers) on the TV, along with vertical artifacts. Once you physically pull the plug and power it on again it's gone. I just ran into this issue yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to call Pioneer about it but it's fairly repeatable.

Just using the power button to place it in and out of Standby does not reproduce the issue. It could just be a HDMI handshake issue. I'm going to mess with it more today.
post #132 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Hey guys,

The 1121 is being sold at newegg with a free iPod Touch 32gb thrown in. Sell the iPod and there's an easy $250 off. Thinking about buying now....Been waiting so long lol.
post #133 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Hi casemanx,

Quote:
Well, I've finally started using mine heavily and it does have some weird issues. The worst is that anytime you actually unplug the power from it, and then plug it back in and power it on the video from receiver (any source) *pulses* (or flickers) on the TV, along with vertical artifacts. Once you physically pull the plug and power it on again it's gone. I just ran into this issue yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to call Pioneer about it but it's fairly repeatable.

Just using the power button to place it in and out of Standby does not reproduce the issue. It could just be a HDMI handshake issue. I'm going to mess with it more today.

Yo Space Case, LOL!
Why would you ever unplug the receiver and then plug it back in!?
If you read the OP Manual it states that after you have everything connected and when the unit is plugged in you must wait until you see the HDMI Blue light flash. and then turn on the unit with the StandBy Button.

This is because when the unit is plugged in it is Acquiring itself, it's own Self Checks if you will.
That is why from that point forward you could never duplicate the problem.
Just always leave power to the receiver and just turn it on and off either with the remote or pushing the standby button.
It is always ready to go.

I think that you probably created your own problem.
Are you in the habit of constantly unplugging your gear?

I would bet that if you do not unplug your receiver and just turn it On and Off like we all do (with the Standby) you will not have any other issues.

Let us know.

Have a good one,

Bud B
post #134 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM

No, i don't often unplug it. heh.

But I just recently added/changed speakers around and I remove power from the unit when attaching or removing cables from the back as a precaution. I have read the manual and I generally follow it's guidelines. I do think there is something else going on though since if I remove power, reapply and then power the device (exactly the same procedure that produces the issue) it will not happen. If I was interrupting it's self-check it would happen every time. It doesn't seem to matter how long (or little) I wait from the point of applying power to hitting the Stand-by button.
post #135 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Wanab,

Quote:
I went to two Best Buy's in Wisconsin. Both said it was removed. They told me there were too many problems with the 1121 that they had to remove it until Pioneer gets some problems worked out. That's what they told me...........

I called Pioneer today and spoke to a rep about your Post.
The only issue that Pioneer has on the books about the VSX 1121 and really every other receiver that has Rhapsody, is that on July 12th a Firmware Update was issued
because of a change that Rhapsody made to their System.

I mentioned about two Best Buy stores in Wisconsin that literally pulled the VSX 1121 from ALL Future Sales until as they stated, "The numerous problems with the units was repaired."

The Rep told me that it is news to her because she has heard nothing at all about that and has no paperwork about any issues that have been logged!
Again stated just the July 12th Rhapsody and that was in response to Rhapsody themselves and Software changes implemented by them.

I am pretty sure that I saw Rhapsody Firmware Updates being applied to Denon receivers as well but I cannot guarantee that..I have been to so many Sites and Reviews about receivers!

Keep us apprised of the situation!
Maybe the Salesman was trying to Demo it and just did not know about the update.

When I bought my E52 the salesman (Two of them) were asking me, Was I sure that I did not want the E53 because it had an improved Power Amp!
Wrong move, I told them the exact differences between the E52 and the E53 and trust me the Power Amp was not one of them...
Well they both scurried behind the counter and opened a binder with a comparison page of the Elite receivers.
I watched as one ran his finger down the page (the other salesman looking over his shoulder) looking for changes and differences!
I said trust me guys, I have done my homework! LOL!
They finally saw that I was right and said Oh OK we thought that there was more changes..
If I had just been John Doe, who does not know anything except, Duh is this a Good Receiver Guy, they would have told me that I want the E53 for the improved Power Amp etc...
So, you have to be careful and do not put TOO much Faith in the BB Sales Jockeys!
You will sometimes find a real good one but unfortunately some are just trying to get through a Job or Second Job at that!

When I just recently went to BB to swap out my Elite VSX 52 with a Elite VSX 53, the girl did not know anything about the receivers!
She even broke the Styrofoam trying to get my E52 out of the Box when I was not looking.
I said no not like that and I reached in between the Styrofoam and actually grabbed the Receiver itself and lifted it out of the box with the Styrofoam hanging on the ends.
I told her to NEVER trust the Styrofoam because if you do get it out of the box and the foam broke, as it did on her, a 30 pound receiver will fall on the floor or a foot and could get damaged.
It's merely for packaging not removal! LOL!
She said OK Thanks..I'm thinking "Oh Man!"

So, again I'm not sure what is going on in Best Buys in Wisconsin! LOL!

FYI though if anyone has some problems (as I am sure you would anyway) let us know.

Later,
Bud B
post #136 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hi casemanx,

OK, do you have HDMI Control ON?
Because I had my HTPC Flicker and the Screen jumping when I turned my HTPC on, I turned HDMI Control OFF and all was fine again.

Does that sound like your situation?

Bud B
post #137 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM

HDMI Control is currently on, that is one of the things I plan on testing though. I was wondering if that might be the culprit as well. Odd that it doesn't happen all the time though.
post #138 of 3301 Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Hi casemanx,
Quote:

HDMI Control is currently on, that is one of the things I plan on testing though. I was wondering if that might be the culprit as well. Odd that it doesn't happen all the time though.

Ya know in the OP Manual under HDMI Control it states that it really wants ALL HDMI Control equipment connected meaning that from Input, say a Blu-Ray player through the Pioneer receiver and on to the HDTV.

Well, my Input Equipment does not have HDMI Control, meaning that the two main things that I have plugged into my Elite VSX 52 and now E53 is my Time Warner Cable Box and my HP Computer (HTPC)
With HDMI Control ON the E52 did not have a problem with my TWC Cable Box, but it did not like the HTPC Plugged into HDMI 1.
So If I was going to use my Computer I would just turn off HDMI Control on my Pioneer VSC 52, afterwards and back to my TWC cable box, I would turn my HDMI Control back ON.

Your problem may be completely caused by HDMI Control and the input selected.
See if there is a problematical method to this, in other words every time this or that Input is selected you will see the flicker..

Good Luck and have a Great Day

Bud B
post #139 of 3301 Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Stopped by my local BB in Kennesaw, GA. Was told by the Magnolia Salesman that they had the 1121 for about a month and that they received a letter from either corporate BB or from Pioneer to pull all the 1121's from the shelves due to some manufacturing defect.

He then went on to say they didn't even have the SKU in their system so they couldn't order one for me even if I wanted it. Thought he would try to upsell me to the VSX-52 but instead he pushed me towards the Yamaha 710/810 as he was not "impressed" with the Pioneer and Elite line this year.

Makes me wonder if there is any truth to this "defect" and if so, what are Amazon and Newegg pushing out the door?
post #140 of 3301 Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM

I went back to a Magnolia in Appleton,WI and yes it is pulled indefinatly. Some real problem and not even available on the managers website for BB. Sounds like it must be pretty bad if the manager can't even find it anymore. Maybe the 1021k is good enough,even though it has Anchor Bay video chip,,,,,, Is it worth it to wait or will the 1021k be ok? ? ? ..............
post #141 of 3301 Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,
Quote:

Stopped by my local BB in Kennesaw, GA. Was told by the Magnolia Salesman that they had the 1121 for about a month and that they received a letter from either corporate BB or from Pioneer to pull all the 1121's from the shelves due to some manufacturing defect.

That's really crazy because except for missing the two 12volt triggers and the Cosmetic looks, we have all determined that the VSX 1121 IS the same as the Elite VSX 52,
yet all of the Elites are still shown and Available everywhere including Best Buy.
I know I just got an Elite VSX 53 last Thursday.

Quote:

Makes me wonder if there is any truth to this "defect" and if so, what are Amazon and Newegg pushing out the door?

Exactly! If this is such a complete truth and just shy of a recall as Best Buy would lead you to believe, then why is not just Newegg and Amazon still selling them but
also,
J&R http://www.jr.com/pioneer/pe/PIO_VSX1121K/
B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_D_Ready.html
Vann's http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...neer-vsx-1121k
ABT http://www.abt.com/product/55265/Pioneer-VSX1121K.html

I am sure that you could find more retailers both On-Line and local stores than the ones mentioned here...

I am wondering if this is an Internal Best Buy problem either with Pioneer or something else...
If it was true we would hear about it and from everywhere, not just Best Buy!

There is something strange going on here......

I'll send an email to Pioneer because then they have to respond in Writing!

I really love my Elite VSX 52 and now E53..

Later,
Bud
post #142 of 3301 Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Man what do I do???

Right when i decide I will get the VSX-52 Costco starts selling the SC-35 for less than half the list price it originally was.

I really want airplay but the SC-35 seems to be in a different league of Elites.
post #143 of 3301 Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi again,
As far as the Deal of should you get the SC35 over a Elite VSX 52 or 53 I can't answer that one for you.
If the question was poised to me that for the same price of my VSX 53 I could have a brand new SC35..which would I choose..
I pause as I watch the cursor blink away waiting for me to type...I am not so sure that I would get the SC35!
With new comes more..Seeing is the best comparison..

If you have two browsers (I have Mozilla and IE) then you open them both to the "View Models" page of the Pioneer Elites.
I say do this because at this point you cannot check off the SC35 or SC37 to compare them to the other Elites.
I don'y know what is up with that..
You can Compare them with two browsers..
In one browser open the Elite VSX 53 "Specification" Page, in the other Browser open the SC35 "Specification" page.
Now shrink the two pages so that you can put them side by side and you now have your own comparison.
Starting with each header you can open each and move down through the Spec's and Features.
You will see some things jumbled around a bit but you can get the drift.
There are some neat things that the Newer Elite's have over the older SC 35 & 37 Elite's.
There is Air Play & Air Jam, there is of course the I-Pads, there is DLNA http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/getting_started/
There quite a few changes that have been made and as you go down the list you will be surprised..Yes it has the ICE Class D amps but I do not know if that is enough! At least for me.
If I am going to buy Un-Authorized I can probably find a new SC 55 with all of the new Features and for what I paid for my VSX 53 Authorized!

I am happy with my un-authorized 2 day old SC35. It kicks just as good or better than my 1120K and Emotiva UPA2. I paid about about half of what it would have cost from a authorized dealer. Am i am taking a chance without a warranty, who knows? I only keep gear for about a year anyway.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #144 of 3301 Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Not to be too confusing but I deleted my response to Bigsherv here and moved it to the Elite VSX 52 & 53 thread.
It did not really have anything to do with the VSX 1121 because Bigsherv was just talking about the Elite's 53 and SC35.
Before I moved it CHASLS2 responded to one of them.

Bigsherv,
You can go here to read my other response...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20794023
Scroll up until you see your question posted...
Sorry again for any confusion.

Bud B
PS. CHASLS2, there is a mention in my response of third party Warranty Companies that will still put a Warranty on your receiver...Just an FYI.
post #145 of 3301 Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 AM

does Magnolia carry the VSX 53? If so, could it be that BB deems the 1121 too close in comparison and would eat away at Magnolia's sales? Just a thought
post #146 of 3301 Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hi 430752,

Quote:

does Magnolia carry the VSX 53? If so, could it be that BB deems the 1121 too close in comparison and would eat away at Magnolia's sales? Just a thought

Yes the Magnolia Home Theater Best Buys sell's all of the Elite's.
I don't think that Best Buy cares which receivers sell more than another, they have their profit margins worked in.

I wonder if it isn't more about the Rhapsody Firmware Update!
Best Buy saying to Pioneer, "Once you have these coming out of the Factory with the Software Firmware already updated, then we will Gladly accept them for Sale!"

These scenarios....Worried Best Buy..
1) Best Buy thinking that people will purchase a new receiver, take it home only to find out that they need to do a Firmware Update,
freak out and bring it back to Best Buy for return or for them to do it, and then Best Buy end's up with a lot of discounted "Open Box" Sales!
OR
2) The customer tries to use Rhapsody only to discover that it does not work and again bring them back to the store!
Best Buy tries to tell them that a simple Firmware update is needed, customer unhappy that they were not told this from the beginning!
Upset customer and or another Open Box Problem for Best Buy!
OR
3) The "customers" do not know about the update unless they go to the Pioneer website, there is nothing inside the box about it,
Best Buy does not want to try selling a receiver by first telling a customer that they need to do a firmware update when they get home!
Plus lets be honest, the update is not easy for someone that is not computer friendly.
You need to download it from the Pioneer website as a Zip file, you then need to Un-Zip it or Extract the Software to a USB Thumb drive so that just the Software is on the USB drive.
Then follow the directions and update the firmware by inserting the USB Drive and following the GUI to Firmware Update.
For you and I it may be very easy but I know and probably you too, plenty of people that would be lost trying to do this!

ALL Scenario's have Best Buy getting stuck in the middle!
At least with a fully Updated receiver the Scenarios above are not a problem and the customer can get home with a Fully Working receiver!!
It's a Win Win, the customer likes the receiver and Best Buy! Image is Everything!

I could fully understand Best Buy Corporate deciding that once these Firmware changes are up to date they will put them back on the shelves!
The Firmware came out July 12th, I am sure that Pioneer can begin shipping to Best Buy as soon as the updated units are finally shipping!
If they have not already!
I guarantee that the Pioneer VSX 1121's as well as ALL Rhapsody included receivers that you can finally purchase from Best Buy,
will be completely up to date with no Firmware update needed.
Mark my words!
They also sold out of their VSX 52 and VSX 53's waiting for the newer Updated units.
Go to the Best Buy Website and you will see "Unavailable" everywhere! When you finally see "Available" they will have received their updated receivers!
I got the last VSX 53 in all of upstate NY and I searched from PA to Buffalo to Syracuse NY it was Unavailable everywhere but DeWitt BB in Syracuse!

As far as On-Line Sales..Think about it...If you purchase On-Line it is much tougher to return the receiver!
With Best Buy local, you can just get in your car and take it back!

I Bet that's exactly what is going on here!
When you go back to BB and they are again available they will be putting a simple spin on it (for Sales) that there was just a simple Firmware Update needed!
Which was performed and these are the latest Up to date receivers working perfectly for you to take home!

The Rhapsody change making Pioneer have to update their receivers Firmware just came with terrible timing!
Right when Pioneer is finally shipping their New receivers, Rhapsody decides to change their software...
I bet that their were some harsh words from Pioneer and other receiver manufacturers to Rhapsody!

I would appreciate it if Best Buy would just be honest and tell me this...
That there is an Updated Firmware that is needed due to Rhapsody and it is on the Pioneer website for download..BUT..
If you feel uncomfortable doing this, then no worries because we have new units that are coming, that will have the Update already performed.

But even that dialog probably scares them, they worry how we will take it.
So it's easier to trash Pioneer saying that there are numerous problems that the factory is working on!
Which would you like to be told? The truth or the Trash! LOL!

Sorry this is so long.....Later,

Bud B
post #147 of 3301 Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM

^^^^

I like that explanation much better. Makes sense to me...and even what I would prolly do if I were BB, or any other retailer, esp. a b&m store.
post #148 of 3301 Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbarnes View Post

He then went on to say they didn't even have the SKU in their system so they couldn't order one for me even if I wanted it. Thought he would try to upsell me to the VSX-52 but instead he pushed me towards the Yamaha 710/810 as he was not "impressed" with the Pioneer and Elite line this year.

Humm, wonder what's up, special promotion at the egg here, and they have not stopped any buying there, sounds wierd...
post #149 of 3301 Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The iPod touch promo, now the Klipsch sub promo, back to back. Perhaps they're trying to unload their stock of this thing... Or maybe the egg is just that awesome.
post #150 of 3301 Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Hi, quick question. I have my HD DVR box connected to the HDMI 1 port of the VSX-1120-k. To watch TV, I would simply press the HDMI Input Select button on the remore control. Today, I had to ship my remote back to Pioneer because a couple of the buttons were getting stuck. So, until I get the replacement remote, I have to use the controls on the receiver itself to do any sort of thing. But, here's the rub. The Input Select dial on the receiver cycles through all the input channels, except HDMI 1. So, no TV. Does anyone know how I select HDMI 1 from the front panen of the receiver? I suppose I could temporarily switch the connection to HDMI 2, but would rather not mess around with the hard setup. Thank you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page