Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to all.......I have a Pioneer 1121 and would like some help with what my best settings should be for video from a Direct TV box. I'm not sure if I am getting the best possible picture I should be. Everything is connected using HDMI cables and I have a Samsung 52" LCD. I have my Direct TV set to native on. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 PM

I just picked up a Pioneer VSX-1121. Out of the box, I am having problems with the audio lagging the video on the output, even with the Sound Delay set for zero.

My general configuration is:

Tivo -> HDMI -> VSX-1121
Then VSX -> HDMI -> LG LCD TV
and VSX -> Speakers

No matter what I do, when watching anything, the audio is lagging the video, enough to be very annoying. If I turn on the TV speakers, the sound is synced properly. (As it was when I connected Tivo -> TV directly.)

In fact, if I have both the VSX speakers on and the TV speakers on, I can hear the echo.

If I connect the Tivo to the TV directly, and then route audio out of the TV to the VSX via optical, I get the same delay.

I feel like I need to set the Sound Delay to a negative number, to get a Video delay.

What can I do?

Thanks for any help.

-Rick
post #1563 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osterber View Post

I just picked up a Pioneer VSX-1121. Out of the box, I am having problems with the audio lagging the video on the output, even with the Sound Delay set for zero.

Tivo -> HDMI -> VSX-1121
and VSX -> Speakers

No matter what I do, when watching anything, the audio is lagging the video, enough to be very annoying. If I turn on the TV speakers, the sound is synced properly. (As it was when I connected Tivo -> TV directly.)

In fact, if I have both the VSX speakers on and the TV speakers on, I can hear the echo.

If I connect the Tivo to the TV directly, and then route audio out of the TV to the VSX via optical, I get the same delay.

I feel like I need to set the Sound Delay to a negative number, to get a Video delay.

What can I do?

Thanks for any help.

-Rick

Did you try running MCACC yet? Use the cd on a pc and run the set up that way. I just got mine figured out - it made a huge difference.

Hope it helps.
post #1564 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tivo -> HDMI -> VSX-1121
and VSX -> Speakers

What can I do?

Thanks for any help.

-Rick

Had a similar issue when I first setup. Unplugging everything including power and reconnecting seemed to fix it.
post #1565 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM

I did the MCACC setup, but not with the CD. The MCACC setup by itself didn't help. I'll try with the CD. Thanks.

-Rick
post #1566 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Re-did everything, unplugged power and everything, reconnected, re-ran MCACC... no change.

Possible that I have a defective unit?

-Rick
post #1567 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Tivo -> HDMI -> VSX-1121
and VSX -> Speakers

What can I do?

Thanks for any help.

-Rick

I was having huge delay problems as well, but turning AUTO DELAY to ON fixed just about all of them. Occasionally with some DiectTV channels, the video is off and the manual adjustment takes care of it. So try the auto delay and try the manual delay. You might be surprised. If you have your TV connected to your receiver via HDMI I believe it can delay the video as well to sync them up.
post #1568 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 PM

AUTO DELAY didn't help. I've still got video just slightly ahead of audio.

One thing that's interesting... I tried setting HDMI audio to pass through. When I do that, and hear the sound through the TV speakers, the audio is also delayed.

If I hook the Tivo to the TV directly (HDMI), all is good. But audio through the Pioneer is lagging.

-Rick
post #1569 of 3295 Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:

AUTO DELAY didn't help. I've still got video just slightly ahead of audio.

One thing that's interesting... I tried setting HDMI audio to pass through. When I do that, and hear the sound through the TV speakers, the audio is also delayed.

If I hook the Tivo to the TV directly (HDMI), all is good. But audio through the Pioneer is lagging.

-Rick

What about manual delay on top of auto delay? Run up and down manual delay times and observe the results. Confirm your thought that it needs to go negative by going positive and noting that it keeps getting worse and worse. Maybe it might actually get better. Does it change at all based on the source? Or consistently delayed the same amount? I was very frustrated by this as well, I can feel your pain. Hope you figure it out.
post #1570 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got my VSX-1121 set up this weekend. I replaced an Onkyo 809 with it because for the last 3 months I was chasing my tail trying to get the sub set up properly in my room. If it wasn't for the bass issue, the 809 would have been a perfect receiver for me. BTW, my speakers are all 4 ohm Emotiva 6.2/6.3/ERD-1 running in a 5.1 setup with an Elemental Designs a2-300.

With that being said, here is comparison of the Onkyo 809 vs Pio VSX-1121 in my opinion. This is intended as an aid for anyone considering either of these two receivers.

Audio:
Onkyo 809 seems more refined in sound quality. The receiver seems to push these 4 ohm speakers more effortlessly. The sound stage in my setup was much better and almost seemed higher end. The 809 is rated at 25 or so more watts, but I haven't seen a bench test for it. The vsx-1121 was benched at 80+ watts per channel with 5 channels driven I believe. Bass management was a nightmare to get right with the 809. Tried running Audessy literally 50-60 times and still had issues with it bottoming out my sub, boomy at times, etc. The vsx-1121 only manages sub timings and levels, so it was easier to integrate my a2-300 into the mix. The 809 is clearly the winner to me with my setup at this point for sound quality, but I just couldn't get the sub right.

EDIT: Crossover setting on the Onkyo are at 10hz levels, the Pioneer is much more limited with only a few that jump 50hz at times. (50, 80, 100, 150, 200) AND you can choose different XO setting for Front, Center, and rears. Much nice

Video:
The video processor in the 809 is far superior to the one in the vsx-1121 in my opinion. There are much more tweaking options and presets with the up conversion on the 809. With the vsx-1121 you only have the option to turn the up conversion on or off. Much simpler for someone starting out, not so much for anyone more experience or who likes to tweak. I use the up conversion on and I see no real change on my setup. With the 809 I clearly saw the changes. Miss that a whole lot right now. 809 is clearly the winner on the video side of things.

Remote, build quality, aesthetics
Remote: Onkyo's is MUCH better. It is contoured so you know you are picking it up properly in a dark room. The Pioneers is a perfect rectangle. So you sometimes aim it upside down if you don't look closely. Button layouts are much better on the Onkyo remote as well. Onkyo wins here.

Build quality: Both units are nice and heavy. The Pioneer is all plastic up front. The Onkyo has an aluminum face plate. Pioneer has a nicer display in my opinion. Onkyo is rather plain. Not a big deal. Onkyo is roughly 10 pounds heavier. This is pretty much even.

Aesthetics: overall, the Onkyo looks like a better built, higher quality unit do to it's aluminum face plate. Navigating with the just the buttons on the unit seems easier to me on the Onkyo. Th GUI is much cleaner on the Onkyo. Pioneer's is so old fashioned it's not even funny. The internet radio/DNLA features are FAR superior on the Onkyo as well. Nice clean colorful display on your screen. Pioneer is grayish background with white letters. Ridiculous this day in age. Lastly, the through option so that the receiver can be off is AWESOME on the Onkyo. All you can turn off are the speakers on the Pioneer, so the unit has to be on at all times. LOVE and REALLY miss that on the Onkyo at this point. Onkyo wins hands down!

Conclusion
In my opinion, with my setup and in my room, the Onkyo 809 is the overall winner. Although it is a bit more expensive, you get more features, better sound quality, better video up conversion, nicer remote, and a better built unit. If I could have gotten my bass management to work properly, I would have kept it. The Pioneer will stay for a few weeks so I can tweak it some more, maybe add an external amp to power my fronts and center to see if I can get the sound quality I'm expecting and experienced with the Onkyo. If not, I am going to try something else. Hope this helps anyone considering both of these units.
post #1571 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 AM

Nice comparo, my boss has the 809 and loves it, he just got it a few months ago, never said anything about having a problem with the bass management, he's running two Def Tech subs, not sure what model.

Jim
post #1572 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

With the vsx-1121 you only have the option to turn the up conversion on or off. Much simpler for someone starting out, not so much for anyone more experience or who likes to tweak. I use the up conversion on and I see no real change on my setup. With the 809 I clearly saw the changes. Miss that a whole lot right now. 809 is clearly the winner on the video side of things.

This statement is simply not true. The 1121 has enough video adjustments to cover an entire page of the owners manual. The fact that you missed this puts the whole review in question. What else did you miss that made the comparison biased and inaccurate?
post #1573 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post

This statement is simply not true. The 1121 has enough video adjustments to cover an entire page of the owners manual. The fact that you missed this puts the whole review in question. What else did you miss that made the comparison biased and inaccurate?

The fact that you can tweak it may very well be fact, but in MY opinion, as stated throughout, the video conversion on the 809 was superior with MY setup.

And I just installed the vsx-1121 so it can very well be that I need to spend more time with it. I clearly stated that I will try it out for a few weeks before deciding if I want to go another route.

Anyone reading MY comparo can make their own summation from it. These are my opinions, based on my setup, room, etc. Take it for what its worth. I never said it was a professional review.
post #1574 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:

The fact that you can tweak it may very well be fact, but in MY opinion, as stated throughout, the video conversion on the 809 was superior with MY setup.

And I just installed the vsx-1121 so it can very well be that I need to spend more time with it. I clearly stated that I will try it out for a few weeks before deciding if I want to go another route.

Anyone reading MY comparo can make their own summation from it. These are my opinions, based on my setup, room, etc. Take it for what its worth. I never said it was a professional review.

I agree that it is YOUR opinion, but I was just pointing out an inaccuracy in YOUR review that YOU had stated as fact. If you didn't know there were video settings, than I don't even know what you were letting the Pio up-convert to. You may very well have been up-converting the Onkyo to 1080P and the Pio to 720P or 1080i, making the comparison inaccurate.

I'm not saying the Pio is superior to the Onkyo - the Onkyo may be way better. It just appeared to me you short-changed the comparison by not fully understanding how to set the AVR's up.
post #1575 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 AM

Purely my opinion, but I'd sure hope that an Onkyo 809 is at least twice as good as a Pio 1121 - just like I'd expect a Grant to be twice as good as a Lincoln.
post #1576 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 AM

I've played around and would now know what I like. As a result, I would like to Reset the System (Page 53 of manual) and start from scratch just to make myself feel better. This may be a dumb question, but ... WHen I reset the system, it won't have any affect on my TV, which has been professionally calibrated or any of it's settings? Correct? I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.

Thanks ...
post #1577 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you'll be fine... the avr has no way of changing your tv settings...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1578 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

What about manual delay on top of auto delay? Run up and down manual delay times and observe the results. Confirm your thought that it needs to go negative by going positive and noting that it keeps getting worse and worse. Maybe it might actually get better. Does it change at all based on the source? Or consistently delayed the same amount? I was very frustrated by this as well, I can feel your pain. Hope you figure it out.

It definitely got worse when I added manual audio delay. To the point that when I went all the way to 10.0 frame delay, and started coming back towards zero... it was obviously getting better and better. And since I had watched it a bit at 10.0 delay, the 0.0 seemed good for a minute or two just by comparison.

Right now, the only useful source I have connected is a TivoHD, so I can't really play around with different sources. Hmm... although I could at least try different HDMI inputs.... Might give that a shot.

-Rick
post #1579 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post

Purely my opinion, but I'd sure hope that an Onkyo 809 is at least twice as good as a Pio 1121 - just like I'd expect a Grant to be twice as good as a Lincoln.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours. But in my opinion, one sells for $500 and the other for $650 these days. So I don't think it should be twice as good. Slightly better, maybe. But given the fact that they are in relatively the same price range, I would think they would be closer in performance than was my experience.

I'll tell you this, if I could have gotten Audessy to work better with my old sub, it would have been a keeper. Absolutely no questions about that.
post #1580 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post

I agree that it is YOUR opinion, but I was just pointing out an inaccuracy in YOUR review that YOU had stated as fact. If you didn't know there were video settings, than I don't even know what you were letting the Pio up-convert to. You may very well have been up-converting the Onkyo to 1080P and the Pio to 720P or 1080i, making the comparison inaccurate.

I'm not saying the Pio is superior to the Onkyo - the Onkyo may be way better. It just appeared to me you short-changed the comparison by not fully understanding how to set the AVR's up.

Definitely not the case. I have another Pioneer (Elite 94) in my main home theater with a full Def Tech setup running dual Def Tech Super Cube I subs. I have had 5 Pioneer receivers in the past, many others from Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo. Even one Sony AVR when I first started this hobby about 20 years ago. I installed about 15 home theaters for customers last year alone. Am doing a $6000 setup next weekend. Please don't make assumptions. You know what happens.

EDIT: BTW, both units were/are set yo upconvert everything to 1080p. Just thought I'd add that since you questioned it. I was referring to the Onkyo have more tweaking ability (like 5-6 presets, plus a custom preset where you tweak to your liking and it is saved.) And you can keep your setting per source for both Audio/Video changes. The Pioneer does let you tweak the video, but the setting seems to be global. And I do not see any presets where you can go back and forth to see what works best. Sort of what MCACC lets you do. If it does, let me know. I all for learning something new, but do so in a non inflammatory manner. No need for that.
Like I said earlier, and I won't respond to you on this point again, I just set up the Pioneer THIS weekend. TO ME the Onkyo was the overall better unit. I couldn't get the sub EQ to work properly in this setup. I was not willing to change my furniture, add room treatments, etc for this second setup. The Pioneer is much easier to integrate due to it not EQ'ing the sub. If you don't know or believe, go read the extensive Audessy thread and see how many people have issues with Audessy and their setups.

This is in a living room that has to appeal to the wife, whereas my main HT is my domain to do as I wish. I didn't want to waste anymore time tweaking the Onkyo trying to get it to work right in my setup. Way to busy to do that at this point. Enough details for you?
post #1581 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that's great, but irrelevant, as your 94 did no processing to hdmi video inputs....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1582 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Back on topic...LOL

Anyone else have suggestions, comments, thoughts on this receiver? I'm all for learning something new. NO ONE knows all there is to know in this hobby...
post #1583 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Enough details for you?

Yes, thanks for the clarification.
post #1584 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

that's great, but irrelevant, as your 94 did no processing to hdmi video inputs....

True indeed, my my Elite 32, which I replaced with the Onkyo last year did. I just made a comment as to what was in my main set up right now.
post #1585 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM

@joeyvaz

nicely put comparison, just a simple lowest available price clarification:

VSX-1121
$499/Amazon (@ Newegg even less, depends on luck)
$850 is the maximum price I`ve seen (don`t think the guy actually sold one)

TX-NR809
$698/Amazon (but you need to wait a MONTH in order to get this price)
$899-$1599 at other retailers

so you were not really comparing models from within the same price range, at all...
I`d say you could easily compare it with Class D Elite SC-55 (price from $1099 at the moment), though I guess the Elite should belong to the class just above 809...but the cost is closer between each other

@ccotenj

Chris, what`s your opinion on this comparison?
Ever had a chance to do such thing yourself?
post #1586 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

off the top of my head...

- imo, all avrs that are run flat and in spec will be essentially indistinguishable...

- onkyo has better dsp... point to the onkyo...

- pio ISN'T an onkyo... point to the pio... given onkyo's qc issues last year, i wouldn't touch one until this year's are proven not to share the same qc issues... add in some type of sub eq, and the dsp advantage of the onkyo goes away...

- i'd be looking at the equivalently priced/featured denon, personally...

- chris

post #1587 of 3295 Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

off the top of my head...

- imo, all avrs that are run flat and in spec will be essentially indistinguishable...

- onkyo has better dsp... point to the onkyo...

- pio ISN'T an onkyo... point to the pio... given onkyo's qc issues last year, i wouldn't touch one until this year's are proven not to share the same qc issues... add in some type of sub eq, and the dsp advantage of the onkyo goes away...

- i'd be looking at the equivalently priced/featured denon, personally...

fair enough
post #1588 of 3295 Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 AM

HOPING someone can help me today was on playstation 3 slim then all of a sudden my tv went off and not coming back on is it the reciever? I turn on the uverse box and get sound for a bit no video though then it goes away and tv led light starts blinking like it is trying to connect or something is my hdmi handshake messing up any help of where to start is a plus thanks.
post #1589 of 3295 Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Unplug everything for a couple of minutes and then start everything back up after it resets, if you have a power strip just turn that off instead of unplugging.
post #1590 of 3295 Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

If unplugging/shutting power strip doesn't work, connect the sources straight to the TV. If you get picture and audio, then the problem is the receiver. Could be something as simple as a setting or button that was hit on the remote. Or it can be an actual problem with the unit.

If you connect straight to the TV and have the same issues, then there is something wrong with your TV.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page