AVS Forum banner

Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread

414K views 3K replies 534 participants last post by  vath 
#1 ·
Have confirmed from a knowledgeable source that we should be getting info on this in the next few weeks. Looking forward to airplay.

#153 ·
Hi jhumur,

Quote:
The Input Select dial on the receiver cycles through all the input channels, except HDMI 1

In the "System Setup" and then to "Input Setup" each Inputs have a choice called "Input Skip" and a choice of "Off or On" if you select "ON' then you will no longer see that input when you scroll through the Input Choices.

This comes in handy to remove Inputs that you are not using, why continue to see the Input when you are scrolling if you do not use it.

It is very easy to once again SEE the Input by just going to "Input Skip" and turn it "Off" Now when you turn the dial or use the Arrows on your remote you will once again SEE that Input.

I would think that is what happened with your HDMI 1 Input.

You should be able to do this without a Remote.. (Unbelievable about your Remote!)

Look on page 10 of the OP Manual and then # 15 "Home Menu" Button.

You should be able to press that button and get into Setup and then Input Setup so you can check HDMI 1.

Let me know,

Bud B

#155 ·
Hi EmersonNZ,

Quote:
does it come with an international power supply? (110-240v).

No! None of the Pioneer receivers in the US runs off of any voltage other than 120 VAC.

The only Pioneers which theoretically could use different power in the USA besides 120 Volts AC is the SC Series of receivers,

this is because they have a Class D power amp with a Switch-Mode Power Supply.

But even these are rated for only 120 VAC.

Quote:
I have read somewhere that it didn't but this seems pretty unusual for a AV Receiver or for that matter any electronic equipment these days.

Which Home Audio or HDTV, etc...uses 240 VAC in the US.

You would need to run your power from the Dryer outlet or something, about the only place in a US home that has a 240 VAC Outlet.

Unless you were dealing in Professional gear specifically designed that way.

Later,

Bud

#156 ·
Bother.... thanks for that Bud,

mmmm I guess I won't be getting one imported then.... (New Zealand runs 240v... and while your idea of using it in the bathroom using the shower outlet is tempting I can't see my wife giving up the bench space for it :)

mmmm I could use a stepdown converter I guess.... though I wonder if that will add noise to the amp (Shouldn't if well earthed but...)

Anyone got any thoughts for a good reciever that does have a 110-240v power supply?

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20805144

Hi EmersonNZ,

Which Home Audio or HDTV, etc...uses 240 VAC in the US.

Most electronics these days have dual voltage power supplies that are either auto sensing or have a little recessed switch by the power supply to switch from 110 to 240. Manufacturers hate the idea of having to do manufacturing runs for different territories just because of voltage so normally use the same power supply and shove a different cord in the box.

#158 ·
Hi EmersonNZ

I have been checking the Equipment that I own and I have found that:

1) Vizio HDTV 110 to 240vac

2) Pioneer Kuro 50" PLasma 120vac (only)

3) LG32LCD HDTV 110 to 240vac

4) Sony BDP-S570 110vac (only)

5) Samsung XL2370HD

Manual states: This product supports 100 – 240 V. Since the standard voltage may differ from country to country, please check the label on the back of the product.

Most Computers have a switch on their Power Supply that you can use to select the incoming voltage.

All of the Above OP Manuals that do state that the product "Supports" 110 to 240vac does not necessarily mean that you can just plug them into 240vac.

Some are internally switched for the voltage needed for the Country and power that they are destined for.

In other words probably most will not have an expensive Switch Mode Power Supply but more like a Computer Power supply.

My Samsung "Supports" 240vac but there is no switch to throw and you can only use 110vac in America. If used overseas the manufacture would internally switch power supply to 240volts usage.

If you opened case you would Void Warranty.

I would say that if you do find any equipment that specs 110 to 240vac usage, I would still contact the manufacturer and ask if you can just plug the unit into 240vac.

Unless the product clearly states that and or has a power selection switch.

Good luck.

Bud B

#159 ·
Thanks Bud, I managed tonged a good shot of the VSX 1121 power supply and it is certainly only 120v. The good news however is I have found a good high quality step up transformer that will don the trick just nicely (I might even add a regulator, even though we have very clean power in NZ it never hurts to make sure it is not your power supply degrading your listening experience :)

#160 ·
240v? That's easy, they sell dual power cords for kiwis or aussies that come to yankland. it is a forked power cord that terminates in two plugs. You plug each fork into a separate receptacle to double the 120v to get 240v. For reverse, I have not seen in the States, but I assume the sell in Kiwiland, that its half a plug - only one prong, to halve the 240v into 120v. I'd try it if I were you, just cut one prong off a yank receiver's cord and stick into a 240v outlet to get only 120v. I know a friend's brother in law's roomate's sister do it and it worked perfectly.

#161 ·
Strong step UP/DOWN voltage converter will do this job easily unless you find some dual voltage receiver...which I frankly doubt you will...

I´ve been using my 110v VSX-1120 in Europe for almost a year without any issues...I have AED 1000W step up/down converter, the receiver´s consumption is stated at 400W and it is always recommended to use double the wattage capacity in converter...it´s a 9kg box, I hid it in a closet just next to my wall outlet with a 5m 110v powerstrip running to it...

#162 ·
Hey guys, subscribed to this thread.. Just bought the 1121 with the Klipsch sub combo from Newegg. This is my first official home theater build. Previously just bought home theaters in a box. So far I've bought a couple polk audio monitor 70 series ii front speakers and a polk cs2 center speaker. I havent decided what I will be running for surrounds. I hesitated a bit once I read this thread about potential problems with this receiver, but couldn't pass up neweggs deal. Can't wait to get everything hooked up.

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty24 /forum/post/20768357

Can anybody else with a 1121 verify that they have Pandora listed in the HMG? I only have Sirius and Rhaspody listed. Pioneer support said I may have a bad processor, but everything else seems to work fine. I can still return my unit for exchange and get another one, just wanted to make sure others can see Pandora.

I too only have Sirius and Rhapsody listed. I even upgraded the software (USB connection only)

I have looked everywhere and have sent Pioneer an Email. Will have to wait for them to reply although I will probable call them on Monday.

If they dont have it in there and no update, I will have to seriously think about returning it and giving up on Pioneer. Their HMG on screen display is terrible. The B&W screen and poor help comes across as not thought out. Its almost like they left it to last and gave up part way and didn't finish it.

Its listed on the box even as included and in the manual.

#164 ·
Thanks for posting overthehill. Does anybody out there have a 1121 and DOES have Pandora listed? Then something is definitely defective. Pioneer's email about having a bad processor because Pandora isn't listed doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm still in my return window, so I'm strongly considering at least exchanging mine if there are units out there that do have Pandora working.

#165 ·
I also have the vsx-1121 without pandora. I will give pioneer a call on Monday to find out what's up. Pandora is not a deal killer for me since I can get it from several other sources. The only major con that I do have is the lack of on screen display for volume, switching between the audio modes and several other things. It would not be a problem if the receiver was in the same room but it's not. Does anyone know if there are any comparable receivers to the vsx-1121/vsx-52?

#167 ·
Those of you that have the vsx-1121 with no Pandora should could Pioneer(1-800-421-1404) immediately and press them about this issue. I called this morning and after a half hour on the phone they finally opened up a trouble ticket to send to their engineers. They rep stated that they may have only received one call about this issue.

#169 ·
I have placed a call to customer service. They are looking into it via a case #. They are aware that some VSX 1121s do not have pandora listed on the HMG menu screen.

However, one can access pandora via Airplay using iTunes. This is a work around the problem.

Will keep you posted when I hear from Pioneer.

#172 ·
Hi overthehill,

I am not sure about the Mosfets but didn't you just call Pioneer?

You could have asked them when you had them on the phone.

Next time make a Question list...first time I called them I too forgot all of the questions that I wanted to ask.

I made a list of questions for the next time I called them.

If you find out the answer let us know or maybe someone else will answer your post.

Later,

Bud

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20825702

Hi overthehill,

I am not sure about the Mosfets but didn't you just call Pioneer?

You could have asked them when you had them on the phone.

Next time make a Question list...first time I called them I too forgot all of the questions that I wanted to ask.

I made a list of questions for the next time I called them.

If you find out the answer let us know or maybe someone else will answer your post.

Later,

Bud

Yes I did call Pioneer but I forgot to ask about the Mosfet question. I am just curious about the amplifier section and their definition of "Direct Energy Conversion" I have searched the web but unable to find any additional info.

Al

#175 ·
Web-based control is nice, however, vsx-1120 had a POWER-ON option listed on its interface and it did not work: when the receiver was off web server was not responding. I wonder if this will be the case with vsx-1121 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhazel /forum/post/20757193

Interested in this too. By web based control, I believe he means a can you use a web browser to log into a control panel and control this unit from a computer? Yamaha allows this with the Aventage series.

#176 ·
I checked the Pioneer website so I could cross compare the VSX-1120-K and the VSX-1121-K Fact Sheet they have, owners manual not that I could find on the website. Does anyone have a digital copy of the VSX-1121-K. owners manual ? If not that is okay
The thing I most want to know is, can you hook two sub-woofers up to the same source sounds. Or will the two Sub inputs only work, one with the 7.1 and the other with the zone 2 like a 2.1 setup? I hope that made some sort of sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.