Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My 1121 works perfectly too. I love this receiver! No problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM

Liked: 10
Mine works great and now I got pass through to work as well with PS3 slim so even happier.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM

My 1121 works very well. I have had no issues with it at all.
For the features it has - no other receiver comes close to it (at it's price).
Enjoy
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkohli View Post

my 1121 works very well. I have had no issues with it at all.
For the features it has - no other receiver comes close to it (at it's price).
Enjoy

+1
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guys, I need help to set my receiver up for a front wide configuration. What audio mode is ideal? I've been using WIDE SURROUND MOVIE. Is this the correct setting? Also for my source (XBMC on a HTPC) should I set it to 7.1 or 5.1 audio?

Do you guys have recommendations for movies or clips that can showcase the front wide setup? I was hoping Speed Racer would be able to, but it wasn't very distinct. the sounds just kinda sound like an extension or clone of what's coming from the left/right channels.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Liked: 16
same,
no issues here with pass through either. Everything else sounds and looks great!.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

Ok so I had the fat PS3 and just got the slim today.
Turned on the HDMI Control to ON and then just turned OFF my 1121 to off and by magic I did not lose the signal. So standby does work if source is fully compatible like PS3 slim. Also when standby pass through is active you will see the red led for HDMI. I also then shut off the PS3 and then turned it back on with 1121 still in stand by and what you know it signal passes through the 1121 without it being ON.

Settings:
PS3 Slim HDMI set to ON
VSX-1121K HDMI set to ON and HDMI Standby Set to Normal
HDTV HDMI set to ON

I know many of us have been trying to figure out HDMI pass through it has not worked for us but I wanted share the good news for those who have PS3 slim as it works

Anyone tried this with a Panasonic tv and a uverse box?

Also how do you setup to watch Netflix etc that is available on the Panasonic so that the audio comes back through the hdmi. I know I can use the audio return channel, but this is deep in settings on the receiver. Do I set up the audio return as a separate source?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM

I just bought this receiver last week-end and it is more for technophiles than audiophiles ! It sounds like crap ! I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH bought in 2007 and I needed a new receiver, because my Sony ES receiver at my city loft failed. I had a good deal on a VSX-1121, so I decided to replace my Elite VSX-92TXH and bring the 92 to the loft, but the sound is just awful ! They is no bass at all and the mids is much too forward even after careful MCACC calibration. I reinstalled the Elite and I got my good sound back ! Brought back the 1121 to the store.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreP View Post

I just bought this receiver last week-end and it is more for technophiles than audiophiles ! It sounds like crap ! I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH bought in 2007 and I needed a new receiver, because my Sony ES receiver at my city loft failed. I had a good deal on a VSX-1121, so I decided to replace my Elite VSX-92TXH and bring the 92 to the loft, but the sound is just awful ! They is no bass at all and the mids is much too forward even after careful MCACC calibration. I reinstalled the Elite and I got my good sound back ! Brought back the 1121 to the store.

Disappointed to hear that.
I assume you know the cross over and setting your speakers to small etc. to get the bass from the sub instead of the speakers.
Also Keep in mind VSX-92TXH is double the price of the 1121k.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupdoc View Post

Anyone tried this with a Panasonic tv and a uverse box?

Also how do you setup to watch Netflix etc that is available on the Panasonic so that the audio comes back through the hdmi. I know I can use the audio return channel, but this is deep in settings on the receiver. Do I set up the audio return as a separate source?

To Use ARC you need to go an enable it in the Setup Menu which is just 3-4 clicks. See page end of page 45 of manual. Control should be set to via HDMI and HDMI control to ON. Once that is done HDMI cable is used for audio to the AVR without needing any other cable. Make sure you use the correct HDMI port on the HDTV to connect the AVR that has ARC. Esually it is only 1 of the 4-5 HDMI ports on a HDTV and is labeled as such.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post

Wow.. Thanks for letting us know that I'm not alone in the issue.

I did the factory reset trick stated earlier and was able to 'fix' the problem for now that I just need to turn off the receiver and turn it on again to get the video signal output from HDMI. it's better than unplugging the AC.

But still... it's very bad quality control for major brand like Pioneer!

Ok, so i got my receiver back from the shop after taking it in. They replaced the main board and the hdmi board. Now the receiver identifies itself as the vsx-52. I am happy to report that all of my problems are now fixed. The receiver turns all the way off, and on each time perfectly without me having to get up each time and physically unplug the unit for a video signal to pass through. It has only been a week, and I am still carefully monitoring the situation, but so far so good.

As a bonus, the usb keyboard function has been restored to my avr so i can just type in names/passwords for internet radio rather than using the remote control. If the avr continues its course of actually working the way its supposed to, i will be more than happy with this receiver.

I will report back at a later date for updates.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Hi all.
Sorry to interrupt, i turn on my receiver this evening to watch a film.
I keep hearing this hum,i was like what the heck receiver is only a month old.So,i turn off my blu ray player and every thing else and it was coming from the receiver my 1121-k. I checked the power plug and it's plug in nice and tight. Anyone notice a low cycle hum on their receiver?.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Hi all.
Sorry to interrupt, i turn on my receiver this evening to watch a film.
I keep hearing this hum,i was like what the heck receiver is only a month old.So,i turn off my blu ray player and every thing else and it was coming from the receiver my 1121-k. I checked the power plug and it's plug in nice and tight. Anyone notice a low cycle hum on their receiver?.

You 100% sure it's coming from the receiver? Sounds like it could be a ground loop issue you're hearing. That will only happen with devices that have a third earth ground prong on the plug...the 1121 does not.

Try unplugging all cables and see if it goes away. Sometimes other components can cause this issue.

I had an issue where the transformer in my sub's power supply was humming due to a DC offset in my AC line caused by my wife's curling iron. So it also might be something along those lines. Check it at a different time/different conditions to see if something exterior to your HT could be causing it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM

millerrh thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the receiver,i put my ear up to and i can hear the hum but the good thing it isn't "loud". One other note,when i turn off the unit it goes away. But ill try your suggestion first. Could it be that i have all the gear on one power strip?. Never had an issue before.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Anyone notice a low cycle hum on their receiver?.

I believe I posted about such before and I noticed it on three separate 1121s plugged into different locations in the house... so it wasn't a one off. Other receivers in the identical installation perfectly quiet.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21727454
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if you can receive DTS Neural Direct Stations, with a VSX-1121?
Can't find them on the internet radio.

More info at this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297453
Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 AM

Liked: 27
Has anyone tried to reverse engineer the icontrolav app commands ?
Not to make an own app since pioneers app seems to be good. But more for home automation purposes (like doorbell rings turn tv on set input to composite video in to show camera feed from the door)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bought a new car recently. Sirius XM incredibly requires a new account when you get a new car..dumb. So I had to get a new user name and password..the old user name 'was in use' when I tried to register..duh (even though it was MY name..lol). So I needed to update the user name on my Pioneer. Now the fun really began. No matter how many times I tried to change the name it jumped back to the old name every time I tried to save it. (spent about an hour messing with it before I gave up) I called Pioneer and all they could say was to do a full reset. Nice...now I have to run the speaker calibration program again, and fix all the settings back to how I had them before. This is a pretty stupid design that you can't change the user name on receiver. The agent seemed pretty unsure of how, or if you should be able to do this without a reset. Who knows.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Bought a new car recently. Sirius XM incredibly requires a new account when you get a new car..dumb. So I had to get a new user name and password..the old user name 'was in use' when I tried to register..duh (even though it was MY name..lol). So I needed to update the user name on my Pioneer. Now the fun really began. No matter how many times I tried to change the name it jumped back to the old name every time I tried to save it. (spent about an hour messing with it before I gave up) I called Pioneer and all they could say was to do a full reset. Nice...now I have to run the speaker calibration program again, and fix all the settings back to how I had them before. This is a pretty stupid design that you can't change the user name on receiver. The agent seemed pretty unsure of how, or if you should be able to do this without a reset. Who knows.

You can save your MCACC data to a flash drive so you don't have to do that again.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodkopje View Post

Has anyone tried to reverse engineer the icontrolav app commands ?
Not to make an own app since pioneers app seems to be good. But more for home automation purposes (like doorbell rings turn tv on set input to composite video in to show camera feed from the door)

I've thought about doing it if I ever decide to try out a Windows Phone since there isn't a client for it yet. I don't think it would be very hard. Tedious but not hard.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM

hi everyone, been reading up on the 1121 for awhile 1st time post. i have it down to 3 choices,1121,1122 and elite can someone point out the plus and minus of the three.thanks in advance

To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will. Ronald Reagan
Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette84 View Post

hi everyone, been reading up on the 1121 for awhile 1st time post. i have it down to 3 choices,1121,1122 and elite can someone point out the plus and minus of the three.thanks in advance

Too broad, need to be specific what you are looking for?

1121 is the best bang for the buck.
If you have time and money wait for the Elite line up for 2012.

1122 is really comparable to 1021 from 2011 series and would not be recommended unless it is around $300.

Updated from 921 to 1021.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM

thanks iafzal for the info.Can't wait on elite,my old akai crapped out last weekend. Looks like elite is not much different- number of hdmi,12 volt trigger,extra year warranty. did some more looking at the forums and cnet,sorry for being so lazy before. Not looking for a 921.have ipad,iphone i want to use along with zone 2,air jam,also icontrol looks like fun.Should be a new owner on mon or tues! I read the first 27 pages of this thread so far so i have seen some of the problems people were having, looks like if i just read the manual i should be fine.LOL Sounds stupid but i like to read the manuals I always learn stuff i never would any other way.

To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will. Ronald Reagan
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette84 View Post

thanks iafzal for the info.Can't wait on elite,my old akai crapped out last weekend. Looks like elite is not much different- number of hdmi,12 volt trigger,extra year warranty. did some more looking at the forums and cnet,sorry for being so lazy before. Not looking for a 921.have ipad,iphone i want to use along with zone 2,air jam,also icontrol looks like fun.Should be a new owner on mon or tues! I read the first 27 pages of this thread so far so i have seen some of the problems people were having, looks like if i just read the manual i should be fine.LOL Sounds stupid but i like to read the manuals I always learn stuff i never would any other way.

I have a 4.5 year old Elite and decided to buy the 1121 because of the big rebates available right now and needed a second receiver for the cottage, Since the 1121 is a network enabled receiver, I decided to replace the Elite with it thinking that they would be close. Also, I am not even using the amplifiers in it, since I am using the preamp outs to drive Classé CAV-75multi-channel audio power amp ( can't afford the $7,000.00 Classé processor !), Anyway, was I wrong thinking the 1121 would be close to the Elite, because they just do not compare ! The Elite has a much fuller sound ! Packed the 1121 and brought it back to the store !
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

Too broad, need to be specific what you are looking for?

1121 is the best bang for the buck.
If you have time and money wait for the Elite line up for 2012.

1122 is really comparable to 921 from 2011 series and would not be recommended unless you get it under $300.

I think it replaces the VSX=1021.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

I think it replaces the VSX=1021.

You are right 1122 is more of an equal to 1021. Update my original post.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:

I have a 4.5 year old Elite and decided to buy the 1121 because of the big rebates available right now and needed a second receiver for the cottage, Since the 1121 is a network enabled receiver, I decided to replace the Elite with it thinking that they would be close. Also, I am not even using the amplifiers in it, since I am using the preamp outs to drive Classé CAV-75multi-channel audio power amp ( can't afford the $7,000.00 Classé processor !), Anyway, was I wrong thinking the 1121 would be close to the Elite, because they just do not compare ! The Elite has a much fuller sound ! Packed the 1121 and brought it back to the store !

Which Elite are you talking about?
VSX-1121 and Elite VSX-52 are same from amp point of view with the exception of couple of extra features.

I have to assume current elite series like the VSX-52 is not that good either and Pioneer receivers made a few years back were much better.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM

My current Elite receiver is a VSX-92TXH. Don't know if the current Elite line is not what it is used to be, but it is very possible ! I think I might give Denon a try. They are usually more expensive, but may be worth it. The new Denon line for 2012 ( numbers that finishes by 13 like AVR-1713) do not have a thousand connections you do not need anymore like composite video, S-VHS... They have mostly HDMI inputs, which make sense. I do not use my VHS and Betamax anymore !
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:

My current Elite receiver is a VSX-92TXH. Don't know if the current Elite line is not what it is used to be, but it is very possible ! I think I might give Denon a try. They are usually more expensive, but may be worth it. The new Denon line for 2012 ( numbers that finishes by 13 like AVR-1713) do not have a thousand connections you do not need anymore like composite video, S-VHS... They have mostly HDMI inputs, which make sense. I do not use my VHS and Betamax anymore !

Ok so you are really comparing apples to mellons
VSX-92TXH is in a different price and class of Amp.

VSX-92TXH lists for $1500 (130W)
1121k lists for $799 (110W)

If you want to compare apples to apples in Pioneer line (for VSX-92TXH) than
SC55 will fit the bill, you may get it at slight discount as it it from 2011 line has full networking.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eceivers/SC-55
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
new owner of the 1126k or the 1121k ,so far not impressed i am coming from an onkyo 807 and i was happy with the 807 it crapped out on me the hdmi board failure .any ways guys i tried the macc calibration 3 times and the sound is crappy ,thought this thing is supposed to sound crisp clear and poweful not what i am hearing ,it sounds hollow and un-natural i have klipsch rf-82 s and rc 62 , rs 52 for speakers i even tried manually messing with the eq .i want to love this pio but it ain't impressing me so far especially for music that 's where it 's lacking a lot .am i missing something ,i calibrated with a tripod and i am not a home theater noob i have superb hearing. sorry if i come across hating the unit but unless there is some kinda of hidden menu or secret tweak and i don't want to go onkyo again but audessey is better than this mcacc and that is just my opinion .......help guys i wanna like this pioneer
also the bass suckss big time ,but i knew that from reading all the pages .and yes i set them to small .
any input would be appreciated
cheers

fronts klipsch klf-30
center klipsch klf c-7
wides klipsch klf-20 s
surrounds klipsch klf-30 s
onkyo txnr-818
emotiva xpa 5