AVS Forum banner

Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread

414K views 3K replies 534 participants last post by  vath 
#1 ·
Have confirmed from a knowledgeable source that we should be getting info on this in the next few weeks. Looking forward to airplay.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/20334084

Have confirmed from a knowledgeable source that we should be getting info on this in the next few weeks. Looking forward to airplay.

Winston,

Is there anything in the 1121 worth considering vs the 1120 model?

Just wondering what info you may know, I'm looking for a new receiver, I'm a bit lost with the newest receivers as I'm still using a non HDMI switchable receiver, but I've been a Yamaha fan for the last 20 years, but after looking at a comparable model of Pioneer to Yamaha, it looks I could get way more with the Pioneer for my money, so I was considering the 1120-K, but I may wait to consider this model instead, thanks.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad /forum/post/20343672

but after looking at a comparable model of Pioneer to Yamaha, it looks I could get way more with the Pioneer for my money,

could you describe in more detail the 'way more' part?

im looking at getting my first receiver and from what my noob eyes tell me, it appears yamaha offers more.

my example is im torn between the rx-v867 and the pioneer vsx-33 and vsx-1120

seems the yamaha has everything i need while the pioneer(s) has almost everything. and the yamaha is slightly cheaper.

im wondering if by 'way more' you mean the component quality or something else im too noob to realize.

if the 1021 had pre-outs, my search and stress would be over already. im going to assume the 1121 will have everything the 1021 has and also have pre-outs, but when is it getting here, thats the problem (and cost of course).

thanks for any help you can give me.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwgnojhamcom /forum/post/20363333

could you describe in more detail the 'way more' part?

im looking at getting my first receiver and from what my noob eyes tell me, it appears yamaha offers more.

my example is im torn between the rx-v867 and the pioneer vsx-33 and vsx-1120

seems the yamaha has everything i need while the pioneer(s) has almost everything. and the yamaha is slightly cheaper.

im wondering if by 'way more' you mean the component quality or something else im too noob to realize.

if the 1021 had pre-outs, my search and stress would be over already. im going to assume the 1121 will have everything the 1021 has and also have pre-outs, but when is it getting here, thats the problem (and cost of course).

thanks for any help you can give me.

Well, sorry, I guess I was comparing the 1021-K to the RX-A2000 or the RX-A3000, so peaking of price difference is HUGE, 851 more difference between the A2000 and 1021, and 1254 dollars more for the A3000 vs the 1021K, I guess what I was trying to say is that you get way more for the money with the Pioneer's vs buying a new A2000 or A3000, There's a big difference there, so do you get that much more with the Yamaha's? I dunno...

I don't know what the difference is with the other Yamaha units as they were not what I was comparing to.

I'm torn to a decision too, as I have had Yamaha for 20+ years, and I have yet to have one go down on me, if it was not for HDMI switching, I'd still use my RX-V2095, it plays 2 set's of Klipsch RF-7's just fine, but I'm waiting for the release of the Pioneer 1121-K, and I will compare it to the RX-VA3000 later....

#10 ·
Hi all,

I have the VSX 1020-K in my bedroom with a 5.1 speaker setup..I am really really happy with it!

I am eagerly awaiting the new VSX-1121-K and I already have the space cleared and waiting for it in my living room!

It will be the Audio center of my Main HDTV Environment, it will be a perfect match to my Pioneer Kuro HDTV and an HP based HTPC!

I only hope that Pioneer will do better with the introduction of the VSX-1121 than they did with the VSX-1120...they made everyone Wait...and Wait....and Wait!

If the 1120 had come out when the other Receivers had, I would now have a 1120 in my bedroom, but my bedroom (Sony) receiver had died

and I could not wait any longer!

I am dedicated to waiting for the VSX-1121 as long as it takes!

BUT...Please Pioneer...Make it Sooner than Later!

The VSX 1121-K is obviously part of the VSX Series of their new Receiver lineup, for that reason I fail to understand WHY Pioneer refuses to unveil them ALL at the same time, including the VSX-1121-K!

As I mentioned above, there inability to do that with the previous series, cost them a sale of the 1120 to myself and I am sure to others as well!

Simply because they were late to the Market Place!

I'll never figure out the Corporate World and their Reasoning!

Bud B

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20408502

Hi all,

I have the VSX 1020-K in my bedroom with a 5.1 speaker setup..I am really really happy with it!

I am eagerly awaiting the new VSX-1121-K and I already have the space cleared and waiting for it in my living room!

It will be the Audio center of my Main HDTV Environment, it will be a perfect match to my Pioneer Kuro HDTV and an HP based HTPC!

I only hope that Pioneer will do better with the introduction of the VSX-1121 than they did with the VSX-1120...they made everyone Wait...and Wait....and Wait!

If the 1120 had come out when the other Receivers had, I would now have a 1120 in my bedroom, but my bedroom (Sony) receiver had died

The VSX 1121-K is obviously part of the VSX Series of their new Receiver lineup, for that reason I fail to understand WHY Pioneer refuses to unveil them ALL at the same time, including the VSX-1121-K!

As I mentioned above, there inability to do that with the previous series, cost them a sale of the 1120 to myself and I am sure to others as well!

Bud B

The 1121 has a different chasis than the 1021-521.

Airplay will be a new feature.

DLNA will be a new feature.

Rumors are there will be a new power supply as well.

The fascia will be "updated."

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20408502

Hi all,

Bud B

Hey Bud, ( same name as my uncle, lol )

I am waiting very anxiously as well, daily I'm checking back to see what info is here, as far as I read, Palehorse posted something in another thread that the 1120-k was released last year June / July time frame, so seems Pioneer is doing the exact thing as last year, with the smaller receivers released first, but who knows, maybe we will get lucky and get to order early, I need a new receiver badly, and can't wait to use the integrated iPad capability.

I can not wait to get this receiver !!!

#15 ·
I think I'm going to try the 1021-k, I would have a month to try it, and see how it works, my current receiver is only 90 watts / channel at 8 ohms, which I see that 1021-k's specs are 95 watts / channel, so I will give it a shot...

After a month of playing with the 1021-k, the 1121-k should be close to being released...

#16 ·
Hi TheaterChad,

I have the VSX 1020 as I stated above and I really do enjoy it!

That is why I really want the 1121 when it does finally arrive.

I also want the 1121 for it's "Pre-Outs" I have separate Power Amps with my Main Speakers and Sub but will use the 1121 for Main Processing and Surround Speaker power.

I did exactly what you are doing..

I just couldn't wait any longer for the 1120 and also in my bedroom I did not really need the 1120 Pre-Outs and other Features, so I bought the 1020..

My Main HD Room IS much different than my bedroom, so I am resolved to the wait!

You will enjoy the 1021....

I can relate to your plight, Been there Done That! LOL!

Bud B.

PS. 90 to 95....You should not really notice a difference of 5 watts.

#18 ·
Hi gregoryperkins,

First off the 1020 and the 1021 do not have Pre-Outs just the 1120 and the newer 1121 if it ever arrives.

A Pre-Out is just as it sounds..the Signal is taken Pre the Amplifier Section and then routed via RCA Cables to a External Amplifier.

All Audio Signals that would normally go to the Amplifier Section and then heard from your Speakers would be available at the Pre-Outs.

I would also think that if your Speakers are connected to the Speaker Outs of the amp with Pre-Outs then you could Hear it there and you could also run a RCA cable from the Prer-Outs and to an External Amp and hear it there too.

In other words the Speaker Terminals on the Receiver and the RCA Pre-Outs are in Paralle,l it's just that one is before (pre) the Amplifier and the other is from the Internal Amp aka Speaker Terminals

Later,

Bud B

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20473276

Hi all,

Good News!!

I just found the Operating Instructions for the Pioneer VSX 1121-K Receiver at the Pioneer Website.

Here is the Link;

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions051911.pdf

Usually once you can see the OP Instructions, the Receiver is not far behind!

Bud B

Great find.

Confirmed:

7 HDMI inputs (one front mounted).

Pandora, Rhapsody

Airplay

570 watt power consumption (up from 400 watts)

clean, concealed from panel look

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20471333

Hi TheaterChad,

I have the VSX 1020 as I stated above and I really do enjoy it!

That is why I really want the 1121 when it does finally arrive.

I also want the 1121 for it's "Pre-Outs" I have separate Power Amps with my Main Speakers and Sub but will use the 1121 for Main Processing and Surround Speaker power.

I did exactly what you are doing..

I just couldn't wait any longer for the 1120 and also in my bedroom I did not really need the 1120 Pre-Outs and other Features, so I bought the 1020..

My Main HD Room IS much different than my bedroom, so I am resolved to the wait!

You will enjoy the 1021....

I can relate to your plight, Been there Done That! LOL!

Bud B.

PS. 90 to 95....You should not really notice a difference of 5 watts.

Nice find on the operating instructions !

I found the specs, 110 Watts per channel at 8ohms... Wondering other than power, whats really different between the 1121 & 1021?

Well.... I'm about a month or so away from completing my basement re-model, I called my local Best Buy, and they were getting the 1021-k in stock tomorrow or Tuesday, but after looking at what I'm concentrating on my basement re-model, there is no reason to jump on the 1021, I can wait for the 1121, since I have to do like 800 feet of ceramic tile & do some limestone for my fireplace, & build new cabinets for a bar, so I think the receiver is on the waiting list.... So priorities first....

After doing some researching on Pioneer VSX receivers, I've been reading that their VSX line receivers, don't auctually have their spec'ed out wattages, people have commented going to other brand of receivers, or forcing the issue of buying an external amp because of how under powered they are, I see this in the 1120-k owners thread, with many buying an emotiva external amp, when the 1120-k is even rated at 110 watts/channel....

This 1121-k has the same watage per channel as the previous 1021-k, I'm suprised as this being the same, as with other brands are pushing 125, 130, and even 140 watts per channel, but I guess that's why they have an Elite model, which makes sense, you have middle tier vs higher end receivers....

Thanks for the useful info!

#22 ·
Howdy,

In regard to Pio Power, I know with my 1020K I usually listen at around -20dB depending on the incoming feed and the Bass is Meaty and Strong.

I think that it depends on what you are looking for..

I am looking for a Good Full Bandwidth Audio Reproduction with a Full Dynamic Spectrum and Great 5.1 Surround!

The previous 1120K and the new 1121K are both THX Certified!

THX Certification has it's Demanding Parameters!

Lastly if you want more Power then that is what the Pre-Outs are all about.

Myself I will be using the Pre-Outs to a Fully Professional PA powered by Crown Power Amps!

When the rig is not on a Stage it is in my Living Room!

As Austin Powers would say, "YEA Baby!" Now were are talking!

But still I do not crank my Crowns to anywhere near full potential (obviously, I would be Deaf in my Living Room LOL!) their Gain Controls sit at about 2 clicks!

The Power Issue was discussed early on in the Thread but once people got their receivers up and running and fully MCACC Processing, it pretty much went to the wayside!

Except for the few people that want their hearing to go to Tinnitus!

Check it out...I think that you will be more than happy with it's results...

Bud B

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20473212

Hi gregoryperkins,

First off the 1020 and the 1021 do not have Pre-Outs just the 1120 and the newer 1121 if it ever arrives.

I understand that my 1020 does not have pre-outs, that's why I'm posting here. I guess I should have been more clear. Will it put digital signals out of an analog connector?

On the 1020 digital signals will not go out of the zone 2 rca plugs.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20478276

Howdy,

Check it out...I think that you will be more than happy with it's results...

Bud B

Agreed, the only time I really crank the 1020 is to demo the system. Master and Commander at -12 is devastating. I used to run my Yamaha at -6 most of the time, granted a weaker amp, but not by much. At times I got it to 0. Internet radio is VERY loud at -35. The input makes a big difference.

#26 ·
Bud,

I have two set's of Klipsch RF-7 II's, and I know I've been under-powering these from day one, but even under-powered, they are and have been great with my 6-7 year old Yamaha, I have the 1021 on hold at my local store, and considering giving it a trial run, but I think in the end, I will end up with the 1121, maybe, maybe not, we will see..

I don't understand what Gregory's post was about?

" The 1020 is too weak to go into an a/b box and switch between a tv and projector " Why would you even think of a A/B switch when you would just use a 4 port HDMI switch that's 1.4 rated, no problem what so ever....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.