Official Sony STR-DH520 forum - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 121 Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my STR-DH520...

I worked fine the first 6 month... but suddenly i notised that there is no sound on the rearspeakers (i have 5.1).
When i do the testsound i hear the beeps in all 6 speakers... but when i see a movie or playing Playstation 3 there is no sound at the rearspeakers.
I have tried every soundtheme and i have also reset the settings. Nothing helps!
Is there anyone that had the same problem? And/or is there anyone that have a solution for me?
I guess it is the software inside the STR-DH520 that has crashed.

Thanks for all help i can get!

//Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I purchased this receiver at Walmart and have a few problems with it. I ran a coax cable from my PC to the coax input to the receiver to play music, but nothing seems to work. Tried changing the input, but I don't see COAX listed. Just AUTO and OPT. Also, my subwoofer doesn't seem to work even though I have the speaker layout correct and shows a "SW" in the diagram. Any help?

-Colton
post #93 of 121 Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I do not know if it is similar to my 830.
but if the output going to the AVR can you set it to PCM?

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 121 Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

How do I bump up the sound in the surround speakers? I can barely hear anything coming out of them - especially the rear speakers.

Still no sound from my subwoofer. SW light is on the panel, so the speaker pattern is correct. LFE is shown on the panel too.

Can't seem to figure out how to get digital coax to work. Coax cable running straight from my PC to the receiver to play music ... none of the inputs seem to play what is coming through the digital coax cable.

HELP!

********** Update:

Fixed the Digital Coax issue. Had to assign a input to COAX. Works perfectly!

I suspect my subwoofer is dead. I tap on the end of the plug and it produces no thumps. I'll try it on another receiver.

Surround channels still don't come to life. Seems like all the surround speakers need an extra boost to really hear them. Not sure if cranking up the dB will fix this.
post #95 of 121 Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM

I love how easy Sony receivers are to use (though I'm not really that familiar with many others either. Definitely not a Pioneer fan here).
post #96 of 121 Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM

Thanks! Turnig the HDMI control to off fixed the global shutdown off the station.
But there is another bug thats bothering me..
I use my blueray player to listen to my CD's, for that I need to power up the TV, bluerayplayer and the DH520. When I start the music,.. I turn the TV off.. because there is no need for me to have the TV on if I'm only playing music.
But when I turn the TV off, the audio drops out for about half a minute before it kicks back in. Same thing when I turn the TV on again, the audio drops out untill the TV is on.
Isnt it possible to have the audio from my blueray, or other devices for that matter, streaming ongoing no matter what I'm doing in my TV.
I've shut down all the settings regarding HDMI control, in the DH520, the TV and in the blueray player.
Any thoughts would be well received! smile.gif
post #97 of 121 Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM

I'm looking at upgrading with this unit but I'm trying to figure out if I can take the audio from a digital input (whether HDMI or Optical) and send it out the Video monitor out to a whole house audio system (Elan A/V controller). The unit that I currently have won't send digital audio out to the analog pre-outs (why?). Thanks!
post #98 of 121 Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys. I'm back and looking for a little help here.

I just swapped receivers in my house for my home theaters (needed another HDMI input in the basement) and started to get some issues with Roku 3 on connect. The audio is not being played for movies in my Vudu library, regardless of HDX, HD or SD mode. I didn't try to rent one, because I didn't want to waste my money if it didn't work!

Setup Upstairs:
Roku 3 > Sony STR-DH520 receiver by HDMI
Receiver > HDTV by HDMI
Audio is played through the receiver to 5.1 speaker system
Roku 3 set to Surround Sound audio mode

Setup downstairs:
Identical with a Sony STR-DG1100 receiver

I immediately searched and found an issue on some threads that Roku has issues with Vudu and Netflix because it doesn't support DD+. I can't determine if that holds true with the newer Roku 3, which I have. However, the basic fix for this is to change Roku to Stereo audio mode. Doing that does give me sound, but not the 5.1 that these movies have. But... both of my receivers DO support Dolby Digital +, as confirmed in their manuals. So something else is screwy.

Interestingly enough, both receivers worked perfectly fine before I just swapped them. I played Vudu movies just fine with the above setup. Nothing else changed. Any other known conflicts with Roku or Vudu audio other than the DD+ issue? There has got to be some little receiver setting that is incorrect.
post #99 of 121 Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Hey, could anyone help me out with the TWC Remote Code? I would like to control the audio from my couch!
post #100 of 121 Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Thought I would post here before starting a new thread.

I just bought this receiver for my home theatre and it's on my way. I'm temporarily using a set of studio monitors as speakers which only have RCA inputs. I'm concerned with how to use these Rokit 5's with the STR-DH520.

Here's my current setup:
Right now I have all my media devices plugged in via HDMI to my TV, and I use RCA outs to output to the two KRK Rockit 5 speakers.

I'm hoping I can plug in all my devices into the HDMI inputs, then connect the Rokit 5s to the audio RCA outputs on the receiver, and have all the audio from those devices come out of those RCA outputs.

Or, should I keep the speakers connected to my TV outputs, plug in the receiver to my TV and have the audio come out to the speakers way?

Can someone advise me on how to add the STR-DH520 into this setup?

Thanks!
post #101 of 121 Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Based on the diagram on pg. 27 of the owner's manual, it looks like the L+R analogue AUDIO OUT outputs in the VIDEO section only outputs the audio fed to it from the L+R AUDIO IN inputs in that same section.

I couldn't find any indication elsewhere in the manual that the AVR will transcode audio from HDMI sources over to those AUDIO OUT outputs.

One option:
- Connect all your sources to your AVR
- Set AUDIO.OUT in the AVR's HDMI menu (pg. 60) to TV+AMP
- Connect your speakers to the TV's L+R analogue audio outputs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 121 Old 10-03-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Based on the diagram on pg. 27 of the owner's manual, it looks like the L+R analogue AUDIO OUT outputs in the VIDEO section only outputs the audio fed to it from the L+R AUDIO IN inputs in that same section.

I couldn't find any indication elsewhere in the manual that the AVR will transcode audio from HDMI sources over to those AUDIO OUT outputs.

One option:

Thanks eljay, I will give this a try when it arrives.

I was doing some googling and came across people who had a similar situation. I found a more specific scenario where a person with RCA only speakers wanted to connect to a wired AVR using IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males, but I read that it might cause problems.

Then someone suggested using a Line Out Convertor but it was unclear if this was only for speakers with wired inputs instead of RCA only connecting to an AVR with RCA outputs only.

Which could I potentially use in my scenario?
post #103 of 121 Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM

Has anyone managed to figure out the Time Warner Cable remote code to process this with the "audio" button on the cable remote?
post #104 of 121 Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Having a bit of an odd one-- when I first turn on the receiver, it's telling my OTA TV tuner that it has a max resolution of 720P, not the 1080i that it will support.

If I leave it on for a while, it eventually will kick in, but I have to manually go to my receiver to reset the settings.

This doesn't happen with the BluRay player, and as far as I can tell, it's not related to the cable or the port.

Is anyone aware of a setting that would let me force the amp to report 1080?
post #105 of 121 Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

One option:

So I finally got around to trying this and it worked! Except I can't control the volume from the receiver, only from the source. Is there a way to change this or am I out of luck?
post #106 of 121 Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 501
I don't know that the AVR has any setting that will let you control the AUDIO OUT volume, but maybe the TV has a setting that will let you control the volume for its RCA outputs...?

-- Edit --
You stated in an earlier post that you have a 46" 750-series Samsung TV. The comment below - from pg. 9 of this manual...

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906141159375/[LC750-ZA]BN68-02584A-06L03-0903.pdf

...makes it seem as though the TV's AUDIO OUT volume is variable:
Quote:
AUDIO OUT: Connects to the audio input jacks on your amplifier/home theater.
. . .
• When an audio amplifier is connected to the AUDIO OUT jacks: Decrease the volume of the TV and adjust the volume level with the amplifier’s volume control.

post #107 of 121 Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM

My 80+ year old dad needs a new receiver for his surround sound (the 27 year old Pioneer finally crapped out). I need to make minimal changes for him which means that there will be no video running through the receiver. I will just have L/R RCA jacks sending the audio from the TV so he can turn it on whenever he wants surround, regardless of the source. All that said, I know the STR-DH540 has on-screen capabilities but does it require a screen to operate it (other than the initial calibration)? Thanks for your replies.
post #108 of 121 Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM

I bought a DH520 to replace an older receiver that had died on me a few weeks ago. It is hooked up to a Motorola DCH3416 cable box (Xfinity). All the connections are HDMI and TV is a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX60.

I'm noticing on some channels especially FOX and CBS that the video is AHEAD of the audio. Trying to watch the grammys it was really noticeable. I've only noticed the issue during network programming. When the local news comes on the same station then there doesn't seem to be an issue. If I turn up the speakers on the TV itself then you can actually hear the TV speakers are in sync but the receiver's speakers are behind by a fraction of a second.

I've tried several experiments by playing sound directly from the HDMI hooked to the cable box, optical hooked to the cable box, and optical hooked from the digital out on the TV. All the inputs have the audio delay on certain channels and recordings. It seems to be a Sony DH520 problem perhaps with 5.1 network sources.

Does anybody have any ideas or should I just take it back to and exchange it with something more expensive?
post #109 of 121 Old 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I've found that connecting the cable box to the TV using HDMI, then running an optical cable between the TV and the AVR reduces issues with lip sync. Make sure the Motorola is set for PASSTHROUGH under HDMI SETTINGS, and enable lip sync correction on the Sony if it has that option.
post #110 of 121 Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I've found that connecting the cable box to the TV using HDMI, then running an optical cable between the TV and the AVR reduces issues with lip sync. Make sure the Motorola is set for PASSTHROUGH under HDMI SETTINGS, and enable lip sync correction on the Sony if it has that option.

I've already tried all that and still have an issue on some channels and recordings. Also, the lip sync correction setting does the opposite of what I need because it delays the audio by 60ms. My problem is that the Audio is already delayed. I need a setting that does the opposite.
post #111 of 121 Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Hello! I have a new problem with my DH520. When i tune to HBO I get the message that my tv does not comply with copy protection--- which is bogus. Tv is a Samsung PN51 plasma hooked to DH520 via HDMI. Directv HR34 to sat/cable in of DH520. HDMI out from DH520 to Samsung HDMI ARC connection. I know that all of these components are supposed to be HDCP compliant. Two points: I can hook the Directv box directly to the tv and everthing is ok except I cant' use the receiver for sound. #2- I can substitute a little ONKYO HT391 for the DH520 and HBO shows perfectly. Anyone have a fix for the DH520?? Thanks!
post #112 of 121 Old 01-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufusdad View Post

Hello! I have a new problem with my DH520. When i tune to HBO I get the message that my tv does not comply with copy protection--- which is bogus. Tv is a Samsung PN51 plasma hooked to DH520 via HDMI. Directv HR34 to sat/cable in of DH520. HDMI out from DH520 to Samsung HDMI ARC connection. I know that all of these components are supposed to be HDCP compliant. Two points: I can hook the Directv box directly to the tv and everthing is ok except I cant' use the receiver for sound. #2- I can substitute a little ONKYO HT391 for the DH520 and HBO shows perfectly. Anyone have a fix for the DH520?? Thanks!
the sound output from the sat box may need to be changed to PCM.
receiver set to LPCM

my
post #113 of 121 Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Thanks eaamo. Any guesses about the HDCP video problem on HBO?
post #114 of 121 Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Hello! Anyone else have HDCP problems when trying to watch HBO with the STR-DH520???
post #115 of 121 Old 02-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyr66 View Post

I bought a DH520 to replace an older receiver that had died on me a few weeks ago. It is hooked up to a Motorola DCH3416 cable box (Xfinity). All the connections are HDMI and TV is a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX60.

I'm noticing on some channels especially FOX and CBS that the video is AHEAD of the audio. Trying to watch the grammys it was really noticeable. I've only noticed the issue during network programming. When the local news comes on the same station then there doesn't seem to be an issue. If I turn up the speakers on the TV itself then you can actually hear the TV speakers are in sync but the receiver's speakers are behind by a fraction of a second.

I've tried several experiments by playing sound directly from the HDMI hooked to the cable box, optical hooked to the cable box, and optical hooked from the digital out on the TV. All the inputs have the audio delay on certain channels and recordings. It seems to be a Sony DH520 problem perhaps with 5.1 network sources.

Does anybody havedd any ideas or should I just take it back to and exchange it with something more expensive?

An update: I returned the receiver and got a Pioneer. Same issue. Apparently comcast was the problem. Lately Fox and CBS have been in sync so I guess it was a temporary problem and just a coincendence that it happened when I replace my receiver.
post #116 of 121 Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Hello. You should have an a/v sync setting in the sound menu of the receiver the tv or comcastt box.
post #117 of 121 Old 02-15-2014, 01:21 PM

STR-DH520

HI, guys can I link my Wii through the Component cable ant output the signal through HDMI. I've spent 3 hours trying to assign ports without success ...

Thanks!

post #118 of 121 Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by srussu View Post

STR-DH520

HI, guys can I link my Wii through the Component cable ant output the signal through HDMI. I've spent 3 hours trying to assign ports without success ...

Thanks!

No, because your Sony does not convert component video to HDMI. You purchased the entry level receiver that has no up-scaling or conversion features. You needed the DH720 or higher for that.

why don't you just get this device? Then you can use the HDMI input on your Sony.
http://sewelldirect.com/Wii-to-HDMI-Converter.asp?gclid=CPjCkb-Wz7wCFYqDfgodqTQAuQ

also available on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-HDMI-Adapter-BRAND-Nintendo-Mayflash/dp/B005QB868Q

Afro GT
post #119 of 121 Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Thanks a lot! Done ... ordered :)

post #120 of 121 Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 AM

I have a question - I've had my DH520 for 3 months now; the video output will pus lines of static, and occasionally a full screen of static which will cause the video output on the DH520 to completely stop.    

I've tried connecting direct to the TV, and both input  (PVR / XBOX / APPLE TV / Wii) and the video output (TV) - work fine.

The DH520 is giving up;  and the frequency it happens is annoying enough that I just can't live with it. 

My thoughts are to take it apart and see if anything is lose. Before I do that I'm wondering if there are any other thoughts from the community here?      

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdh520 7 1 Channel 3d Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page