AVS Forum banner

Official Sony STR-DH520 forum

91K views 131 replies 88 participants last post by  joeybuddy96 
#1 ·
Are there any owners out there? Trying to find out more about this unit as it has a great price and seems to have good specs.

Thanks

#78 ·
If for some reason you are only getting two channels its probably because of the TV being limited to two channels.

Go to:

Amp menu->HDMI->Passthrough->Auto

Amp menu->HDMI->Audioout->AMP instead of AMP+TV.

I had the exact same issue, but i have mine powering my HTPC. The AMP setting fixed it.

#80 ·
I purchased this Sony AV receiver about a month ago. Periodically, I noticed that the audio will go out of sync with the video. I know about turning on the AV sync in the audio settings of the amp, but it doesn't seem to make it any better. What I have noticed is that if I turn off HDMI control, it seems to fix it. But of course, I can't change the volume of the AV receiver without first making sure that AMP is first depressed on my Sony PS3 BD media remote--I just want to change the volume no matter what media input I am currently under. I can even turn HDMI Control back on and the problem still seems to be fixed. My questions are:

1) Has anyone else had this problem?

2) If I were to upgrade to the higher Sony STR-DH 720, would it be less of a problem?

3) Is turning off HDMI Control the only fix for this?

4) Am I forever expected to just turn off and then back on the HDMI Control feature?

5) Is there a chance that my receiver is defective?

#82 ·
Just bought this as an open-box item at BB for $160. I needed to replace an aging flagship receiver from Onkyo which unfortunately didn't do DTS. The primary thing that attracted me to this unit was the HDMI pass-thru while the unit is off. Unfortunately this is poorly implemented. First off, you have to leave the receiver with your HDMI source unit (cable box, satellite, blu-ray, etc.) selected before you turn it off. If you turn it off while you were listening to the tuner, it won't pass anything through. Second, the "Auto" mode of standby seems to only work for a few Bravia TVs. So for me it had to be in the "On" mode of standby which is basically just a low power mode. So might as well just leave it on. Thirdly, in order to pass through anything while in standby you have to have the receiver set to output audio to "AMP+TV". If you don't do that, you won't get any sound being passed through. The problem with that is two-fold. First if you do decide to turn on the receiver to use your speakers while watching tv, you'll still be getting sound from the tv speakers. So you have to manually switch the output mode back to AMP. More importantly, you need to do this because while the unit is in AMP+TV mode it can't process DD or DTS. That's right, it dumbs itself down to 2 channel Linear PCM. So with all of this wonkiness its not worth trying to use it as the AVR its supposed to be. Better off just connecting everything to the TV and running 1 audio line back to the receiver (well not this receiver as its going back this week.)

Hope that helps someone.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_M_Clary  /t/1330236/official-sony-str-dh520-forum/30#post_21671604

Yes, you can use the Wii component cables plugged into SA-CD/CD componet input and the left and right speaker into I believe it was the TV audio input (too hard to pull my receiver back out to check but it works). You have to assign the 2.0 audio channel to match it to the component input. I have mine setup this way and renamed the source to Wii to make it clean and neat. I'm not sure if I had another component source with basic 2.0 sound if I could have added it but I could have added component with digital sound like optical. It upconverts the component to 1080i or p and pushes through the hdmi cable.

I've been trying to hook my Wii up, have it plugged into the component 2 which is the SA-CD, and try to assign and all that. Have audio, but no picture. Can I get a tip? I don't know what I'm doing right/wrong. Thanks

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousjack85  /t/1330236/official-sony-str-dh520-forum/60#post_22727151

SONY STR-DH520 Listed = $149
I think it is a very good price!

Funny, I just came to this thread to ask owners about how they like this AVR since I saw it on NewEgg for $149 !

I'm in the market for a new AVR to replace a 2009 Denon AVR-2309ci, which class wise is probably miles above this one, but I frankly don't need all the bells and whistles right now.

I just want to be able to watch my 3D movies from my 3D BluRay and 3D LED TV, through my 3.1 setup. I don't even have 5.1 or 7.1 right now. I want to be able to do HDMI switching with my BluRay, Xbox, STB (UVerse) and AppleTV. So $149 seems like a steal for all this thing can do...I was saving up to buy a Denon 2113ci, but this has me wanting to go RIGHT NOW since I can afford $149 vs. $649...

Then I saw another option that is $249, its a Pioneer VSX-1022-K 7.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver , so both the Sony and Pioneer are having me think twice about waiting and saving up for the Denon.

I guess I do like the Denon has the iPhone/iPod stuff and the XM/Sirius stuff too and internet/network stuff...that might be what drives me to a more expensive one.

Any feedback on what I should do?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I really looked deeper into the comparison and I know why I want that Denon so much, I'll wait and save up. Thanks!

#85 ·
I bought this receiver on sale at Fry's about 2 weeks ago and have been working through my issues 1 by 1...though most of them have been caused by my own lack of knowledge...I've managed to figure just about everything out. I've noticed a few of the issues I had listed in this thread...so I thought I would post my 1 remaining issue and see if anyone has a solution.

Components:

LG 55LM6200 3D Smart TV

Direct TV HD-DVR

Sony DH-520

LG BP325W 3D Blu-Ray

I have everything set-up by HDMI to the appropriate inputs (ie: Direct TV to Sat/Cable, TV via HDMI to TV/ARC). I also have an Optical Cable from the TV to the TV Optical Input on the Dh520 as well...as this seems to be the only way that Smart TV Apps will play sound through the Home Theater.

To watch/listen to Direct TV...I put the receiver in Sat/Cable and everything works. As a bonus...somehow my TV is jiving very well with the Sony DH520...as volume controls made to the TV are actually handled by the Receiver...which is an unexpected bonus...since I don't have to have more than just the Direct TV remote. Basically - everything is working the way I believe it is supposed to.

The only problem....every time I turn off the TV...when I turn it back on...the Receiver defaults to "TV" as the input and I have to manually change it back to Sat/Cable to get audio again. Also - it sometimes takes a minute or 2 for the receiver to let me change the input (basically it changes it back to TV as soon as I change it to Sat/Cable). I've tried turning on the Receiver 1st...and it shows Sat/Cable...but the moment I turn the TV on...it switches back to TV. Does it take that long for ARC to kick in? Something I'm not thinking of?

It's really just an inconvenience...for me at least...but I'm sure one of these days I'm going to get an earful from the wife when she gets up before me and can't get audio.

Anyone have this issue? Did anyone figure it out?

#86 ·
I recently purchased this receiver (probably the final stock) and think it's great. I, however, do have a minor problem: I connected my PC and Sat through HDMI to the Video and Sat input, and connected my Panasonic TH-37px80e TV to HDMI out. Everything works well, but as soon as I switch off my TV (when I play music without having to watch TV) the receiver temporarely switches off the sound and after about 4 seconds it switches back on. This only happens when Input is on Video (PC) or Sat (Sat), and not when Input is on Tuner, so I guess it has something to do with the HDMI out. I already switched HDMI CTRL 'Off' and HDMI Sound to 'Amp' but this didn't help. I also turned off 'Viera Link' on my TV, but still no luck. Any suggestions?

#87 ·
I wish I could help. I will be returning mine to Fry's in the next 12 days before the exchange period is up. I'm hoping another brand will be on sale in this weeks big ad...but even if not, after my latest exchange with SONY customer support...I'm convinced that they did not think any aspect of this receiver through properly. I've had issue after issue with this receiver when it comes to settings. Though most of it I have been able to work through...every time I turn the unit off...I have to work through the issues again. The receiver performs great...once it's on and all the settings are made...but as soon as you turn it off again, there's a good chance that it will default back to default settings. Learning how to change the settings to what you like quickly is not a substitute for the receiver storing those settings.
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

>

> I understand that the Receiver defaults to the TV input and you wish

> to set the HDMI input as default input. Unfortunately, the Receiver

> does not have the feature to set the HDMI input as default input. It

> is normal operation of the Receiver to default to TV input when it is turned ON everytime.

>

> Thank you for understanding.

This basically means that it will automatically switch back to TV as the input regardless of what setting you had it in at shutdown. Additionally - because it does this, it also switches many of the associated settings. It changes the input from HDMI to Optical. It changes from Dolby to LPCM. It changes from AMP to TV+AMP. It basically just resets every time.

I wrote them back and said that it seemed ridiculous that they would design it in a way that forces the user to manually make adjustments on each and every power-up...to which they responded:
Quote:
I understand your concern regarding the design of the Receiver due to which it switches to TV input whenever it is turned back ON. Unfortunately, we at the online technical support center are neither involved in the invention nor the designing of new products. Therefore, we are unable to provide reasoning behind this design limitation.

I have already forwarded your concern to our Sustaining Engineering department for review. Customer input and response is invaluable in the continued support and development of our products. We want you to know that we appreciate your feedback. We also appreciate you bringing this to our attention

Thank you for understanding.

So - unless you use this receiver for over-the-air broadcast television...I recommend returning it like I will.

#88 ·
Having an issue with my STR-DH520. I have it ran to my vizio tv, and have the ps3 hooked up to the game port, which plays fine, great audio and video. I have my cable tv ran through the sat/cable port, it works great HDMI wise too. But I have a xbox 360 and a wii u that I want to hook up to it, and when hooked up with HDMI to the blu port and video port, I do not get any audio through my receiver, only through the tv. How can I get both of these hooked up to get audio through my system? Thanks.

#89 ·
I have the DH520, and I'm having a HUGE problem, that I just cant work out.

I'm trying to use my DH520 to listen to music stations, but when I turn my TV off.. the entire station and everything plugged into it shuts down.

When I start my blueray player, the station and the tv turnes on. And then I put my CD to the blueray player and press play. And again, when I turn my TV off, the blueray player, and the DH520 turns off. Its really annoying that I have to have my TV on to listen to music via DH520.

Does anyone have any solution to this problem!? - I've read through the manual and google'd it back and forth, this is my last chance

#91 ·
I have a problem with my STR-DH520...

I worked fine the first 6 month... but suddenly i notised that there is no sound on the rearspeakers (i have 5.1).

When i do the testsound i hear the beeps in all 6 speakers... but when i see a movie or playing Playstation 3 there is no sound at the rearspeakers.

I have tried every soundtheme and i have also reset the settings. Nothing helps!

Is there anyone that had the same problem? And/or is there anyone that have a solution for me?

I guess it is the software inside the STR-DH520 that has crashed.

Thanks for all help i can get!

//Andreas

#92 ·
I purchased this receiver at Walmart and have a few problems with it. I ran a coax cable from my PC to the coax input to the receiver to play music, but nothing seems to work. Tried changing the input, but I don't see COAX listed. Just AUTO and OPT. Also, my subwoofer doesn't seem to work even though I have the speaker layout correct and shows a "SW" in the diagram. Any help?

-Colton

#94 ·
How do I bump up the sound in the surround speakers? I can barely hear anything coming out of them - especially the rear speakers.

Still no sound from my subwoofer. SW light is on the panel, so the speaker pattern is correct. LFE is shown on the panel too.

Can't seem to figure out how to get digital coax to work. Coax cable running straight from my PC to the receiver to play music ... none of the inputs seem to play what is coming through the digital coax cable.

HELP!

********** Update:

Fixed the Digital Coax issue. Had to assign a input to COAX. Works perfectly!

I suspect my subwoofer is dead. I tap on the end of the plug and it produces no thumps. I'll try it on another receiver.

Surround channels still don't come to life. Seems like all the surround speakers need an extra boost to really hear them. Not sure if cranking up the dB will fix this.

#96 ·
Thanks! Turnig the HDMI control to off fixed the global shutdown off the station.

But there is another bug thats bothering me..

I use my blueray player to listen to my CD's, for that I need to power up the TV, bluerayplayer and the DH520. When I start the music,.. I turn the TV off.. because there is no need for me to have the TV on if I'm only playing music.

But when I turn the TV off, the audio drops out for about half a minute before it kicks back in. Same thing when I turn the TV on again, the audio drops out untill the TV is on.

Isnt it possible to have the audio from my blueray, or other devices for that matter, streaming ongoing no matter what I'm doing in my TV.

I've shut down all the settings regarding HDMI control, in the DH520, the TV and in the blueray player.

Any thoughts would be well received!

#97 ·
I'm looking at upgrading with this unit but I'm trying to figure out if I can take the audio from a digital input (whether HDMI or Optical) and send it out the Video monitor out to a whole house audio system (Elan A/V controller). The unit that I currently have won't send digital audio out to the analog pre-outs (why?). Thanks!

#98 ·
Hey guys. I'm back and looking for a little help here.

I just swapped receivers in my house for my home theaters (needed another HDMI input in the basement) and started to get some issues with Roku 3 on connect. The audio is not being played for movies in my Vudu library, regardless of HDX, HD or SD mode. I didn't try to rent one, because I didn't want to waste my money if it didn't work!

Setup Upstairs:

Roku 3 > Sony STR-DH520 receiver by HDMI

Receiver > HDTV by HDMI

Audio is played through the receiver to 5.1 speaker system

Roku 3 set to Surround Sound audio mode

Setup downstairs:

Identical with a Sony STR-DG1100 receiver

I immediately searched and found an issue on some threads that Roku has issues with Vudu and Netflix because it doesn't support DD+. I can't determine if that holds true with the newer Roku 3, which I have. However, the basic fix for this is to change Roku to Stereo audio mode. Doing that does give me sound, but not the 5.1 that these movies have. But... both of my receivers DO support Dolby Digital +, as confirmed in their manuals. So something else is screwy.

Interestingly enough, both receivers worked perfectly fine before I just swapped them. I played Vudu movies just fine with the above setup. Nothing else changed. Any other known conflicts with Roku or Vudu audio other than the DD+ issue? There has got to be some little receiver setting that is incorrect.

#100 ·
Thought I would post here before starting a new thread.

I just bought this receiver for my home theatre and it's on my way. I'm temporarily using a set of studio monitors as speakers which only have RCA inputs. I'm concerned with how to use these Rokit 5's with the STR-DH520.

Here's my current setup:

Right now I have all my media devices plugged in via HDMI to my TV, and I use RCA outs to output to the two KRK Rockit 5 speakers.

I'm hoping I can plug in all my devices into the HDMI inputs, then connect the Rokit 5s to the audio RCA outputs on the receiver, and have all the audio from those devices come out of those RCA outputs.

Or, should I keep the speakers connected to my TV outputs, plug in the receiver to my TV and have the audio come out to the speakers way?

Can someone advise me on how to add the STR-DH520 into this setup?

Thanks!

#101 ·
Based on the diagram on pg. 27 of the owner's manual, it looks like the L+R analogue AUDIO OUT outputs in the VIDEO section only outputs the audio fed to it from the L+R AUDIO IN inputs in that same section.

I couldn't find any indication elsewhere in the manual that the AVR will transcode audio from HDMI sources over to those AUDIO OUT outputs.

One option:

- Connect all your sources to your AVR

- Set AUDIO.OUT in the AVR's HDMI menu (pg. 60) to TV+AMP

- Connect your speakers to the TV's L+R analogue audio outputs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.