Need help picking receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

I have a friend who is looking for me to upgrade their home audio system. I need a reco on the best tuner to get for the situation.

It's smallish home; one level. There is a living room with kitchen on one side and the bedroom on the other with bath. There are 2 speakers in the kitchen, two in the bedroom, two in the bathroom, and 2 speakers 1 soundbar and a sub in the living room.

It looks like he has Sonance Totem speakers (I'm guessing as there is a strange "dial" connected [see pic] that says "Sonance" on it).

He also has a Incus ss-8 zone-splitter/speaker selector to select which rooms' speakers are on.

I was looking at something like the Pioneer VSX-1021-K. He isn't very tech saavy and would like the easiest setup possible. Money isn't an issue however, it's a small area and don't need the most expensive, elite receiver out there. I like the idea that with AirPlay he would control his music from his ipad or iphone. It would be ideal it, however, there were also a way to control the zones from the ipad/iphone too.

He wishes there was a way to press 1 button to do what he wants. I know this is doable through Logitech remotes, but it'd be a plus if there was an actual button (he's old school like that).

Here's what's there now (save speakers):
  • Tuner - Onkyo T401
  • Amp - Onkyo Integra Amplifier - A809
  • Receiver - Sony STR-DG820
  • CD - Onkyo DX C220
  • DVD - Sony DVP NS300
  • TV - Panasonic LCD

Given the above, if it were you, what would you do?

Much thanks.

p.s. I'd be happy to follow-up and/or post pics/progress if people care.

Mystery dial:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM

Is that dial actually on the speakers, or is it wired into the speaker wire?
post #3 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Is that dial actually on the speakers, or is it wired into the speaker wire?

It's attached to the speaker wire in proximity of all the other equipment--not actually on the speakers themselves.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM

That(since this is the only side we can see) is either a volume control(most likely) or a 70v(not very likely).

The knob on the left, does that turn? If it does, it is a volume control.

Is there a visible model number anywhere?
post #5 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

After looking up what 70v is--I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I edited the post with the equipment that is there. Since money isn't an issue now, it wasn't when this stuff got put in and I'm pretty sure the guys that did that also knew money wasn't an issue and procured the most expensive stuff available at the time.

There was no model number that I could see. There is velcro on the bottom of the unit (stuck directly to the board no less) and I didn't want to tear it off and break anything. I assume the dial does turn (it looks like a dial is supposed to be on there--the rod has the traditional dial shape: "D").

Thanks!
post #6 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM

The only thing that needs replaced is the Sony receiver.

He does "need" a networked receiver. He can still use everything else. That thing in the picture...

Is there more than just one? Is that before, or after the speaker selector?

It is important to know cause you could re-do the entire thing and put a speaker volume knob in each room, with or without doing 70v. You probably need to take some speakers out of some walls/ceilings and research those.

Basically, if that is before the speaker selector, it is not 70v. If there is one of those after the speaker selector for each set of wires...then it could be 70v.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-02-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

The only thing that needs replaced is the Sony receiver.

He does "need" a networked receiver. He can still use everything else. That thing in the picture...

Is there more than just one? Is that before, or after the speaker selector?

It is important to know cause you could re-do the entire thing and put a speaker volume knob in each room, with or without doing 70v. You probably need to take some speakers out of some walls/ceilings and research those.

Basically, if that is before the speaker selector, it is not 70v. If there is one of those after the speaker selector for each set of wires...then it could be 70v.

I'm trying to simplify things as much as possible... Is it necessary to have receiver and the Onkyo amp? Isn't there something that could replace both? And also rid the need for the Tuner?
post #8 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any input?

Please?
post #9 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 AM

The problem is...

We don't know what that thing is in the picture, if you can't give us a model number.

Pretty much, you have to take that thing somewhere to find out if it is a 70v, or if it is just a volume control.

You never answered if that is in front of the speaker selector...or if there are multiples of those after the speaker selector...

Basically...

1. If that is a 70v, then there is no receiver made that can run a "powered 2nd zone" that would survive 5 minutes into 70v. (Basically 70v means the AMP is ran at full volume, constantly...all the time...and usually never shut off).

2. If that is a volume control, then yes you can run a powered 2nd zone off a receiver...except for the fact that you pretty much should remove all of those, since the receiver will have volume control.

In line speaker volume controls come in a few "flavors". That one could be an "impedance gain". If it is an impedance gain(meaning you turn the impedance up, the volume goes down), then no, you shouldn't run it with an AVR providing power.

So, again...

What is that?(go find out)
Where is it/are they?(give us more info)
post #10 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You never answered if that is in front of the speaker selector...or if there are multiples of those after the speaker selector...

There is only one of them, and it appears to be after the speaker selector (between selector and speaker). This makes it seem like volume. However, when I went to turn the dial, it clicked into position. i.e. it doesn't turn smoothly but rather has x set positions (close together) that can be chosen from. I took off the velcro, and the only number I could find on it was 9446 which does nothing for my google-fu.

The wires appear to be going to the 2 bathroom speakers. I gleaned this off of some old, faded, barely intelligible sharpie writing on the wire so accuracy is questionable. If it is just for the 2 bathroom speakers, why are there 8 wires for 2 speakers? Are 2 power/ground and other 2 l/r channel?

Is it not possible to tell if the system is 70v by the model of the amp?

Thanks again for your help.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Also, it looks like the Onkyo amp is old.. like 1992 old... Surely the new stuff out there can power these speakers, no?
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

An other info? Huge thanks for any help...
post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

bueller?
post #14 of 17 Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I guess I just need to know is it even possible to run all the speakers with a newer receiver? Will there be enough power? At this point I don't even care if it's 70v or not, I have to get going and can do trial and error. But if there is no way that a new receiver will power the speakers without an auxiliary amplifier, it'd sure be nice to know sooner..

Again, thanks for any help anyone can provide.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

It's muh birthday. Anyone wanna help me for my birthday?
post #16 of 17 Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyouguys View Post
I'm trying to simplify things as much as possible... Is it necessary to have receiver and the Onkyo amp? Isn't there something that could replace both? And also rid the need for the Tuner?
OK birthday boy you can buy an expensive receiver that can do 4 zones at once (denon 4311) but even that is limited in several ways. Just buy a $600 receiver and connect it the same way to the onkyo power amp. No need to replace it if it works. Anything should eliminate an old radio tuner. These days in your price range make sure new receiver has 7.1 preamp out for adding amps and a network connection for firmware updates and streaming. If that other switching stuff to multiple speaker zones doesn't work, it may be professional installer time. That is not me. Happy birthday.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Best birthday ever, thank you. Makes sense to leave the amp. It's just confusing for the dude because he can't be bothered with switches and the like. But the AirPlay stuff looks pretty cool; I think he'd love being able to control everything from his phone/pad. I figure I can just hook it up then print out some instructions with pictures and diagrams and stuff.

Thanks again for the help--it's appreciated!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page