Pioneer Receiver Headphone Surround Sound, HD Audio with Headphones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the Pioneer VSX-1120, Panasonic DMP-BD85, and the Sennheiser HD558 headphone. I have a few questions on HD audio with headphones.

1. I have my blu-ray player set to bitstream the HD Audio and my Pioneer receiver can't process the hd audio when I use headphones, it downmixes the hd audio to stereo, thus I can't use the headphone surround option in my receiver. Should I setup my bluray player to decode the hd audio and send it as a pcm signal to my receiver in order for the headphone surround sound mode work with the HD audio?

2. If I set my blu-ray player to bitstream the HD audio and my receiver downmixes the HD audio to stereo while using headphones, will it be 2 channel HD audio?

3. When using headphones, what is the prefered method when listening to hd audio: HD audio downmixed to stereo (bluray player bitstreams HD audio), or use the headphone surround mode (blu-ray player sends audio as PCM)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 439
There is no harm in having the player decode the stream anyway so why not try it that way? You get the bonus of having your BD mixer working for extras and such.

Doing so runs into the issue you mention in #2. Instead of the authored downmix in the original stream, you wind up with whatever the AVR thinks the downmix should be. That said, since you are using virtual surround, that won't matter because the AVR was doing to mess with the channels anyway.

As to your last question, it is just a preference. If virtual surround has no artifacts, might as well use it.

Note: I don't use headphones with my theater set up so all of the above is base don theory .

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #3 of 3 Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I have the Pioneer VSX-1120, Panasonic DMP-BD85, and the Sennheiser HD558 headphone. I have a few questions on HD audio with headphones.

1. I have my blu-ray player set to bitstream the HD Audio and my Pioneer receiver can't process the hd audio when I use headphones, it downmixes the hd audio to stereo, thus I can't use the headphone surround option in my receiver. Should I setup my bluray player to decode the hd audio and send it as a pcm signal to my receiver in order for the headphone surround sound mode work with the HD audio?

2. If I set my blu-ray player to bitstream the HD audio and my receiver downmixes the HD audio to stereo while using headphones, will it be 2 channel HD audio?

3. When using headphones, what is the prefered method when listening to hd audio: HD audio downmixed to stereo (bluray player bitstreams HD audio), or use the headphone surround mode (blu-ray player sends audio as PCM)?

I tried both ways and I prefer the hd audio decoding from my blu-ray player and send it as pcm to my receiver when I use my headphones. I have my receiver set to headphone surround and it opens up the soundstage on my headphones. When I bitstream the HD audio to my receiver for decoding, it selects stereo automatically for my headphones and I can't change any sound mode, thus it makes the soundstage smaller.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page