Onkyo TX-NR808 no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-09-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was showing some family that was over Tron in 3D last night in my HT. It all went well for about an hour, running the volume at 69 or so absolute. Then without warning as it changed chapters, the sound completely cutoff. The standby light didnt flash and the receiver remained on. I tried a few things, but we gave up. This morning I got up and tried a few things, hoping the over night cooldown would help it. But nothing. I tried all sources, cable, xbox360, BR player....nothing.

Before we watched Tron, i had the system running all day watching TV as I walked in and out of the room. The AVR was running at 45-ish in terms of volume that whole time. Only when we put Tron on, did I bump the volume up to 69 on avg. I might of had it on 75 at some points, to have the action scenes a bit louder.

So I set the volume to Min, then unplugged the AVR for 5 minutes. After I plugged it back in I got sound again.

So, I fixed it, or so it seems. I mean its even written in the trouble shooting parts of the manual under protection circuit /power section. But I never had the standby light blink at me. I was still a good measure away from max volume. The AVR is in open space for adequate cooling and the top of it didnt feel that hot to make me think of overheating. Has anyone ever seen this happen? Where it kind of went into this "unofficial" protection mode in normal action movie volume situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You might want to search and ask in the 808 Owner's Thread (some folks only look at "favorite" threads):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1261931

It could have just been a power glitch timed well with the chapter change, causing the protection mode to engage. And unplugging is usually the most reliable way to reset after a protection mode engages.

Try playing Tron3D again using the exact same settings. If it doesn't happen, then "hopefully" it was a fluke and isn't likely to happen again.

Dunno what else to suggest, beyond searching the Owner's Thread for similar event descriptions.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for reminding me about the 808 thread. I'll post in that later on tonight. Right now I'm at work, but when I get home I'll try playing tron again and report back in that thread.

Now that I think about it, I think last night was the loudest I've ever had the receiver at that high a volume for a long duration. Also I found the plug for the receiver not seated all the way in the outlet for some reason.

It's still weird in a way since the volume wasnt near Max and I'm only running a 5.1 setup (with the fronts biamped) on a receiver capable of powering a 7.2 setup and 3 zones.

Anyways thanks again and I'll try out a few more things when I get home tonight and post it up in the 808 thread.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page