The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread
Scurly's Avatar Scurly 09:34 AM 05-22-2011
why wouldnt the 2312 be able to that?

SoundofMind's Avatar SoundofMind 09:48 AM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

... Set ALL speakers to SMALL, LFE Only (No LFE+Main) at 120Hz., and Xovers at 80Hz. See how that sounds, and then open up your LPF's on your sub all the way...

Just to be clear, following the Audyssey setup Guide, you should disable the internal sub filters if possible, or raises them as high as possible, prior to running autosetup.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 10:35 AM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post

I tried the PS3 - however, I only get 2 channel audio on the PS3 as well for Lord of the Rings. I'll do some more experimentation today with some BD material to make sure it isn't a settings issue at either end (source or 1912), but I've gone into every menu and verified things, so not sure what the cause could be, other than the possibility that not all content is multichannel (although it is hard to believe how a fairly recent movie like LOTR couldn't be).

As far as direct vs. DD PLII is concerned, I need to be educated a bit here. Setting the Audyssey question aside for a bit, I thought that Direct would give me the original audio and if it was in whatever surround mode it was recorded in, it would be fine. Now for the education part - if I select Movie Mode or whatever and do DD PLII or DD, is the information encoded in the 2 channel information from the source material and is decoded by the 1912 and sent to the appropriate channels? I guess I need to read up on how the amplifier turns what seems to be 2 channel source material into surround. TIA!

We say it all the time in the Denon threads ... the AVR can only play what it is receiving which is currently stereo audio, so you need to check your source. When using the Direct mode, the audio simply passes through the AVR "as is" so there is no EQ applied (which when used will normally greatly improve your listening experience).
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 10:41 AM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post

why wouldnt the 2312 be able to that?

It will .. all models from 1612 and higher will ... ignore DenPureSound, he's hung up on the 3312.
Scurly's Avatar Scurly 11:43 AM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Just to be clear, following the Audyssey setup Guide, you should disable the internal sub filters if possible, or raises them as high as possible, prior to running autosetup.

are you talking about the internal sub filters within audessey auto set-up or within the sub itself?

It seems to me that although i'm sure the 684s have nice bass frequency, the sub should perform better, so I want to the sub to do the work, right?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:53 AM 05-22-2011
^^
He's referring to the LPF on the sub itself .. set it to 140hz.
Gregor111's Avatar Gregor111 04:40 PM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post

Have you done the obvious - connected a laptop to the port and make sure the in-wall cabling and the RJ45 connectors are all working properly? I am sure you have but just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.

Any advice is welcome. My TV can connect to the internet using the same port that was attempted with the 1912. I still haven't looked into it in depth. I was hoping for the obvious answer first before reading all of the manual. Thanks again.
Iusteve's Avatar Iusteve 06:06 PM 05-22-2011
Is there any place that already has the 3312 ready to ship or is May 31st still the ETA on these units?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:12 PM 05-22-2011
AFAIK ... May 31.
Iusteve's Avatar Iusteve 06:21 PM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

AFAIK ... May 31.

Thanks JD. Thats depressing though Oh well maybe by then there will be some discount codes to go with them
Gregor111's Avatar Gregor111 06:56 PM 05-22-2011
Wow, I tried reading the manual and have gotton nowhere as far as connecting to my network. I get confused when on p. 66 it says to check THIS units ip address. Is that the avr's ip or my network? When I checked where it says to(network info), I get my networks IP. It then says to input the IP in THIS units browser address bar. Again, I'm not sure if that is my network's(ie laptop's) browser or the Denon browser(If the Denon actually has a browser). If it's the Denon's browser, I can't find that anywhere. I'm so confused I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Any help is appreciated.
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 07:08 PM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor111 View Post

Wow, I tried reading the manual and have gotton nowhere as far as connecting to my network. I get confused when on p. 66 it says to check THIS units ip address. Is that the avr's ip or my network? When I checked where it says to(network info), I get my networks IP. It then says to input the IP in THIS units browser address bar. Again, I'm not sure if that is my network's(ie laptop's) browser or the Denon browser(If the Denon actually has a browser). If it's the Denon's browser, I can't find that anywhere. I'm so confused I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Any help is appreciated.

It's telling you the ip address of the denon on your network. If you take that ip and open up a Internet explorer ( or whatever browser you use) and enter that in the adress bar on any computer it will launch the web ui of the denon.
Gregor111's Avatar Gregor111 07:50 PM 05-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

It's telling you the ip address of the denon on your network. If you take that ip and open up a Internet explorer ( or whatever browser you use) and enter that in the adress bar on any computer it will launch the web ui of the denon.

Cool, it looks like I'm getting closer. But when I go to Network info, if DHCP is on, there is no address, and if it is off it gives me my ip address. I input that address into my browser and it went to my routers website.
blkicevic's Avatar blkicevic 08:22 PM 05-22-2011
sounds like you are inputting your gateway address. if you cant locate your av reciever ip address go into the gateway ip gui in IE and look at all the ips handed out. you should see the denon ip there.
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 08:38 PM 05-22-2011
Quote:

Cool, it looks like I'm getting closer. But when I go to Network info, if DHCP is on, there is no address, and if it is off it gives me my ip address. I input that address into my browser and it went to my routers website.

If you are not getting a ip then it's not connecting to your network. Unplug the unit wait about 30 seconds and then check.
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 08:43 PM 05-22-2011
Quote:

You could also manually set up your Avr network by simply typing in

1. A valid unused ip from your network..something like 192.168.1.44
2. Go to any network connected device d find your dns, gateway and manually entering same in the network settings of the AVR
crazyfoo's Avatar crazyfoo 01:09 AM 05-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
As far as we know -- although AFAIK nobody has posted on this thread to confirm for sure -- the Airplay functions just like the xx11 models: it does stream to Zone 2, but it CANNOT do so independently of main zone, i.e. it "hijacks" the main zone in order to stream. So you are more coherent than you think
Quote:
If they hold true to previous year Denon AVR's there will be no issue. They are independent and show as two devices in the Denon app, AirPlay and network. In my setup I manually assign ip addresses two both so I can easily always pull up the web ui for ultimate control and configuration.
Thanks guys. The wife says I can get one for father's day, so I will just have to wait until then to test it (unless of course someone else does first!)
johnnyletrois's Avatar johnnyletrois 08:02 AM 05-23-2011
Quote:
If they hold true to previous year Denon AVR's there will be no issue. They are independent and show as two devices in the Denon app, AirPlay and network. In my setup I manually assign ip addresses two both so I can easily always pull up the web ui for ultimate control and configuration.
Definitely set static IP addresses for each, it will make life easier. From the Denon settings menu you can also change the "friendly name" that shows up in Airplay to distinguish between the two units.
DenPureSound's Avatar DenPureSound 08:54 AM 05-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It will .. all models from 1612 and higher will ... ignore DenPureSound, he's hung up on the 3312.
Hung UP on the 3312CI, U bet Cha -- as it is the ONE model for 2012 that brings dessert after dinner, and I love dessert ... looks like the 3312CI will be one very Nice AVR, and might have enough Power for a smaller room so I don't have to Add an External Amp again, as my speakers are not as efficient in the smaller room, but at least they are 8 Ω.
I would love the 4311CI, but the size of my wallet will not facilitate it, not as big as JD's.
bryan_locklear's Avatar bryan_locklear 02:27 PM 05-23-2011
Hi all,

After having a 2310 flake-out on me, I'm back in the market for a receiver. I'm deciding between the 1912 (all I really need - networking, MultEQ/Dyn EQ, A/B switching) and the 2112 which adds XT and better warranty.

But then I saw a discounted 991. It seems it would have a complete feature set adding DSX and up-scaling to the above features. Seems like a steal at current prices. I'm curious to try DSX Wides.

In specific:
- for my mains - NHT Absolute Zero speakers + sub, is XT likely to deliver SQ improvement over MultEQ for 14 x 18 room?

- Does xx12 GUI differ from the 991's? I did not like the numeric volume overlay in the 2310 and would prefer the volume bar I think the xx112's have. Also the 2310 had a "jumpy" volume control that would do nothing on short signal, but then would go very fast if held.

- networking chip issue in the 991? Is this prevalent like the NIC issue in the 990?

I'd be using for 75 HT/25 casual listening in medium-sized room.

Thanks!
-Bryan
degobah77's Avatar degobah77 02:33 PM 05-23-2011
Just ordered a 2112CI, should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. First time not going with H/K, I really hope I hear a difference, I hear nothing but great things about Denon audio quality.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 02:40 PM 05-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_locklear View Post

In specific:
- for my mains - NHT Absolute Zero speakers + sub, is XT likely to deliver SQ improvement over MultEQ for 14 x 18 room?

Yes. The 991 uses MultEQ XT, which if you want DSX wides would be your only choice between the 3.

Quote:

- Does xx12 GUI differ from the 991's? I did not like the numeric volume overlay in the 2310 and would prefer the volume bar I think the xx112's have. Also the 2310 had a "jumpy" volume control that would do nothing on short signal, but then would go very fast if held.

A quick glance at their Owner's manuals show the 2112CI and the 991 are fairly similar, although the XX12 models do offer the volume bar. The 2312CI and 3312CI have a more advanced GUI similar to the 43XX models. The "jumpy" volume control is characteristic of ALL Denon remotes ... yet another reason Harmony remotes are so popular.

Quote:

- networking chip issue in the 991? Is this prevalent like the NIC issue in the 990?

Not the same issue, but yes. The 990 issue was hardware related and requires a complete replacement of the NIC, while the 991 is software related and was resolved with two firmware updates.

Bottom line ...as I posted in item 8 in post #3, for a $70 difference the choice between the 2112CI and 1912CI, go with the 2112CI. If you want DSX, the 991.
Deslock's Avatar Deslock 05:48 PM 05-23-2011
FYI for anyone in the market for the recently released AVR-2112: I got it at Vanns for $529 shipped. I simply called Saturday morning and asked what kind of discount they could do. They came back with that price, which I felt was very fair, so I immediately ordered it.

YMMV, obviously.
AUDude's Avatar AUDude 06:43 PM 05-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post

FYI for anyone in the market for the recently released AVR-2112: I got it at Vanns for $529 shipped. I simply called Saturday morning and asked what kind of discount they could do. They came back with that price, which I felt was very fair, so I immediately ordered it.

YMMV, obviously.

That's not a bad price but I am waiting for when J&R and Electronics Expo have them in stock. I remember last year they were giving out 30%+ haircuts right off the bat. Hoping for mid 4's for the 2112.
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 07:20 PM 05-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDude View Post

That's not a bad price but I am waiting for when J&R and Electronics Expo have them in stock. I remember last year they were giving out 30%+ haircuts right off the bat. Hoping for mid 4's for the 2112.

I'm hearing they may nit offer those type f deals on the 11 series. Denon is putting squeeze on dealers to cut less...
Mikkle's Avatar Mikkle 08:34 PM 05-23-2011
Thanks for the very informative first few posts in this thread and the ongoing discussion. This community is lucky to have such dedicated members as batpig and jdsmoothie.

I recently sold my AVR-3310CI and purchased an AVR-891. This was a downgrade in some respects but we just bought a new 3D plasma TV and wanted the 3D compatibility that the 3310CI didn't offer. So exactly six weeks ago, I purchased the AVR-891 from Fry's for just $380 which I think was a very good deal.

I wasn't expecting the xx12 line to come out so soon after my purchase. I am wondering if I should try to sell the unused AVR-891, and get one of the new models instead. My AVR usage is pretty basic as I only use 2 HDMI inputs (HTPC, Xbox 360) and 1 HDMI output to the TV. Networking is not important to me as the HTPC is always connected. That being said, we do have a few iPod/iPhones in the house so Airplay would be a welcome addition.

The feature I am most interested in is the Audyssey MultEQ XT processing. Our speakers are located in a "great room" that is open to a hallway on the left, a kitchen on right, and another hallway on the right. The room is quite large (roughly 15'x30') and has hardwood floors throughout. My understanding is that MultEQ XT has 8x the resolution of MultEQ. Am I correct to assume, considering this somewhat difficult listening environment, that the upgrade would translate to a noticeable increase in sound quality?

My 5.1 speaker configuration is the following: 2x Def. Tech Mythos Five fronts, 1x Def. Tech Mythos Three center, 2x Energy Veritas V2.0CM in-ceiling surrounds, and a Hsu STF-3 subwoofer. Usage is about 50% HT/TV, 25% music, and 25% games.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 08:41 PM 05-23-2011
^^
Yes, you would likely notice an improvement with XT and yes it uses 8x the filters in the speakers (sub filtering is identical). Based on your iphone use, I would suggest returning the 891 and upgrade to the 2112CI which is currently available at a discount at Vann's as noted a few posts back. You would get XT + networking + the ability to control the AVR and Zone 2 with your iphone using the Denon REMOTE app.
Mikkle's Avatar Mikkle 08:45 PM 05-23-2011
To expand on my previous post, it seems I am looking at moving from the AVR-891 to either the AVR-2112CI or AVR-2312CI.

The AVR-2112CI is probably a great match for our needs, however:

1) What does DENON mean by an "advanced" GUI on the 2312? Is it just the same overlay that works with 3D sources, or does it have additional features? The GUI overlay is absolutely necessary for us because the AVR will be placed in an enclosed cabinet. Has the GUI been refined at all since its introduction on the xx10 models? I quickly flipped through the 2312 online manual and couldn't see much of a difference.

2) Coming from the AVR-891 it looks like we would lose 15 watts per channel. We listen at moderate levels so there's no need for too much power, but we still want a really clean sound. Finally considering that the AVR will sit in a cabinet, heat is a concern (though it was not a problem with the AVR-3310CI). Would one model get warmer than the other at the same volume?

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 08:55 PM 05-23-2011
1. The 2312CI GUI can display over both 3D and 2D HDMI video and if you look at their respective Owner manuals you'll note it's more advanced in that it shows more information (ie. more pictures) than does the 2112CI.

2. A 15W difference will be moot. With those speakers you'll actually be using < 5W/CH.

3. Generally no. Denon AVRs are known to get at most only warm (unlike Onkyos that you can fry an egg on).
Deslock's Avatar Deslock 09:09 PM 05-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDude View Post

Good luck! Since the best price I found for the 1912 from an authorized dealer was around $480, I was happy to get the 2112 for $530, especially only a day after it came out.

The 2112 ought to be slightly cheaper when it hits the EBay stores but I didn't want to wait (or deal with possible warranty issues).
Tags: Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop