The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a 1612 since they shipped, and it has been working well for me. Until two days ago, that is. Something changed its input source configuration, and I can't figure out how to restore the previous behavior.

I have a DVR and a BDP, both on HDMI to the 1612, and a Samsung TV (no ARC, so hooked up with both HDMI & optical). My universal remote is programmed to send Quick Select 2 when I want to watch the DVR, which used to work fine, but now it has Source set to TV. To see my DVR I have to hit "Source", then "Up" to change the Video from TV to Sat/Cab.

How do I get it to default to this, like it used to?

See profile for new equipment list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
Make sure that Anynet+ on the TV and HDMI Control on the 1612 are both set to OFF. Also, if you're using a universal remote you don't really need to use the Quick Select.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5223 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

how can you have audio on a PJ? Does the PJ have speakers built in? or do you mean the surround sound speakers?

you CANNOT simultaneously have audio playing on the external speakers and also being output via HDMI. The setting is either/or... either you send HDMI audio out to the TV, or you play it on the speakers. So you cannot be listening to full surround sound on external speakers in one room while also sending audio to a TV in another room via HDMI.

Yes I was referring to the surround sound in the theater. So what is the best way to set this up?

Will I be able to "select" which display the sound goes to and switch between them?

Is there any other way to get audio on both at the same time? Component or something?

Regardless of sound will I receive the video on both displays "at the same time"?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #5224 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Make sure that Anynet+ on the TV and HDMI Control on the 1612 are both set to OFF.

They are on. I need them on so as to enable pass through when the Denon is off (without having to go through the menu each time). They were on before, when this was working.

Quote:

Also, if you're using a universal remote you don't really need to use the Quick Select.

I may need to do some reprogramming of my MX-500, but that's beside the point. What caused this behavior to change?

post #5225 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 12:59 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

So assuming I understand you as long as the 3312 is ON then it will send video and audio to both or just one but if the unit is off then it will only send to one? Sorry i may be a bit confused here

Correct, otherwise with HDMI Audio Out set to "AMP" the audio will only go to the surround speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5226 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rttrek View Post

They are on. I need them on so as to enable pass through when the Denon is off (without having to go through the menu each time). They were on before, when this was working.

I may need to do some reprogramming of my MX-500, but that's beside the point. What caused this behavior to change?

Not sure ...but it's likely related to the Anynet+ and HDMI Control settings. Try setting HDMI Control to OFF just to test to see if it works. As a work around you could also connect the DVR directly to the TV and pass the audio back to the AVR via the optical cable.

post #5227 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not sure ...but it's likely related to the Anynet+ and HDMI Control settings. Try setting HDMI Control to OFF just to test to see if it works.

Tried it. No change.
Quote:

As a work around you could also connect the DVR directly to the TV and pass the audio back to the AVR via the optical cable.

If I do that, the TV will downmix the DVR audio to stereo. And no, I can't connect optical from the DVR to the AVR because the 1612 only has one optical input and the TV is using that.

post #5228 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Never mind, I fixed it. I figured out how by (*gasp*) reading the manual.

Page 45, Quick select function. Saving the quick select settings is done by choosing all the settings manually, then holding down the chosen quick select button until "Memory" appears in the display.

I don't know how I messed it up, but this fixed it. Thanks jd.

post #5229 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:

Yes I was referring to the surround sound in the theater. So what is the best way to set this up?

Will I be able to "select" which display the sound goes to and switch between them?

Is there any other way to get audio on both at the same time? Component or something?

Regardless of sound will I receive the video on both displays "at the same time"?

Video to both at the same time is no problem. It's the audio party that is tricky because of what I said just above -- you CANNOT simultaneously play sound from the external speakers and also output it via HDMI to the other monitor.

If you just want to switch from one to the other, you could manually change the setting each time, but that's kind of a pain. If your secondary monitor will only really be used for one source (e.g. watching TV from the cable box) you could just use the HDMI "Standby passthrough" feature to pass through that source when the receiver is off.

The other option is to run analog audio out, then you wouldn't have to mess with the setting. Connect all components with analog audio in addition to digital, then run an analog audio cable along with the HDMI monitor output to your secondary TV.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5230 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Never mind, I fixed it. I figured out how by (*gasp*) reading the manual.

Page 45, Quick select function. Saving the quick select settings is done by choosing all the settings manually, then holding down the chosen quick select button until "Memory" appears in the display.

I don't know how I messed it up, but this fixed it. Thanks jd.

Great! Those Quick Selects are often more trouble then they are worth. Keep in mind though that, if required, you can easily add an inexpensive optical switch to create 2 more optical inputs.

post #5231 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your secondary monitor will only really be used for one source (e.g. watching TV from the cable box) you could just use the HDMI "Standby passthrough" feature to pass through that source when the receiver is off.

I plan to use the monitor ONLY to watch tv via directv box. So I can set it bypass the receiver so that I dont have to turn the receiver on if I want to watch only the monitor? Where do I get sound? The monitors speakers?

Quote:

The other option is to run analog audio out, then you wouldn't have to mess with the setting. Connect all components with analog audio in addition to digital, then run an analog audio cable along with the HDMI monitor output to your secondary TV.

Can you possibly elaborate a little on what you mean here?

post #5232 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I plan to use the monitor ONLY to watch tv via directv box. So I can set it bypass the receiver so that I dont have to turn the receiver on if I want to watch only the monitor? Where do I get sound? The monitors speakers?

Right, the way you would set it up is go to HDMI Settings in the 3312 (pg 109 in your manual) and:

1) turn HDMI Control ON
2) set "Standby Source" to the HDMI input that the DTV box is plugged into
3) designate the 2nd HDMI output as the "control monitor"

Then, when the receiver is powered on, you can use the PJ and have surround sound audio like your normal setup. Video is output via HDMI-1 to the PJ and audio outputs via the external speakers.

When the receiver is turned off, it would default to the "standby source" that you designated and effectively would become a "dumb" HDMI repeater, just sending the DTV signal on through to the monitor via HDMI-2 output. When you turned on the secondary display, it would be as though the DTV box was plugged directly into the monitor.

this arrangement wouldn't allow for both to be on at the same time, you would either be doing the full PJ + surround sound setup or turning the receiver off and watching the 2nd display.

Quote:

Can you possibly elaborate a little on what you mean here?

Analog audio outputs are always "hot" so this would be a way to avoid using the HDMI Audio switch and having to change the setting every time. Although if you ONLY will be using that DTV source on the secondary display I would recommend the "standby source" option above.

In this setup, the HDMI output to the 2nd monitor would ONLY carry video... meaning you wouldn't have to futz with the HDMI Audio setting. So you'd need some way to get the audio to the 2nd display... so, you would use analog audio output, however as with Zone 2 the analog RCA outs will not output HDMI audio, thus you would need to "double connect" analog audio from your sources.

So, for example, let's take a hypothetical Blu-ray player:

1) Connect BDP to Denon with an HDMI cable (BD input)
2) ALSO connect the BDP to the Denon with a standard red/white RCA audio cable (analog RCA inputs labeled "BD")

-- the BDP is "double connected" to the Denon AVR, with both HDMI and analog audio corresponding to the "BD" input.

3) Now, you can run another pair of RCA analog audio cable out of the "DVR OUT" jacks, which will carry the audio signal from the BDP to the secondary display.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5233 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the idea of being able to use both displays at the same time even if I cant get both to have audio. In the 2nd paragraph above if I "double connect" can I do this with the directv box and get audio on both?

I guess priority #1 is to be able to get video on both displays at the same time. Audio is a secondary interest. The reason being is the rooms are close enough that if I have a game on the projector (for example)it would also be on a monitor in the room adjacent so sound isnt super important just more of a luxury.

post #5234 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry guys, gotta vent again.

This AVR-2112CI remote won't control my Westinghouse TV. When I go through the supported TV manufacturers that start with W, I see:

Waltham
Watson
Weltstar
Wharfedale
Wilson
Windsor
Windy Sam

but no Westinghouse. Now I know Westinghouse is not the Westinghouse of yore, and that another company simply bought the name. But, this Westinghouse TV manufacturer has been around for years, is quite popular, and is sold by large chains such as Best Buy and Walmart. I find it rather frustrating that a Denon receiver made in 2011 would not support such a popular TV brand.

Of course, that's just one of many things I find frustrating about this receiver.
post #5235 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

The center is your most important speaker in Ht and tv viewing. Audyssey sets it up as your single speaker with 1 amp pushing it. I would not mess around with the imaging.

What you could do is upgrade your center channel as a superior center will definitely help in Sound Quality and clarity that you are looking for.

ADDING;

You can set your Dynamic Volume to Evening. Also if you use Multi Ch Stereo It will deliver equal signal and volume to each speaker and then from their adjust your volume for each speaker using your CH Level on your remote.

Spager,

Thanks for the enlightenment. Good idea about compressing the dynamic range, using stereo mode, and bumping the vol on the left side.

I'm noobie to multi-channel and this is non-Denon related but...

So, how important is the center? I understood the center was dedicated to dialog and the rest of the sound was in the LR, FB, Sub. Does the center contain ambinet (non stereo) sounds too?

If so, that would change my approach my setup, budgeting more for center at the expense of satellites and sub.

Dave
post #5236 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post

Spager,

Thanks for the enlightenment. Good idea about compressing the dynamic range, using stereo mode, and bumping the vol on the left side.

I'm noobie to multi-channel and this is non-Denon related but...

So, how important is the center? I understood the center was dedicated to dialog and the rest of the sound was in the LR, FB, Sub. Does the center contain ambinet (non stereo) sounds too?

If so, that would change my approach my setup, budgeting more for center at the expense of satellites and sub.

Dave

The center is very important especially as you indicated that you have some hearing loss.

The center is dedicated to dialog but not just dialog it also has an array of different signals and frequencies. All speakers have a combination of signals and frequencies and there is a formula that Movies, Tv and Music Authors use that are different but conform to a surround sound or stereo modes. So the long answer is yes it does have non dialog info going to the center.

I would definitely go with the best center in your budget. You may want to look into a used center this giving you more room in your budget for your other speakers/sub.
post #5237 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Tried it. No change.

If I do that, the TV will downmix the DVR audio to stereo. And no, I can't connect optical from the DVR to the AVR because the 1612 only has one optical input and the TV is using that.

The 1612 has coaxial digital. If the DVR has coaxial digital you can use that. If the DVR only has optical out then you can buy this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and convert the optical out to coaxial digital and use that port on the AVR.
post #5238 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Hello,

Just started hooking up my new 2112CI and seem to be having some HDMI sync issues. Basically when watching the HD cable box with the receiver on the picture keeps flashing. I can watch the HD box fine when the receiver is in standyby, and if I turn on the receiver while watching it will work until I switch the channel from an SD to HD or HD to SD channel. Then the flashing picture occurs once again.

Is there some configuration I am missing? I have ordered new HDMI cables as I read that may be an issue. Will upgrading the firmware possibly fix this? Or should I just be taking this back to store?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mizzle
post #5239 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

this is not a settings problem or a cable problem; it's an HDMI handshake error which is unfortunately common with cable boxes. Read through some of the info JD posted at the beginning of this thread for suggestions on potential solutions or workarounds.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5240 of 19157 Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

anyone on this?

Not sure if you got his answered since you posted a while ago, But you can try a solution like this the ART Cleanbox Pro Dual Channel level Converter. From what I read in a Pro Amp forum, it should provide a stronger signal needed by the Pro gear.

Sorry I couldn't post the link. I am brand new to Forum as I am buying my 3312CI Tomorrow after having to return my 2312Ci. Had an issue with the HDMI monitor out port.

Thanks to everyone here by the way, The Denon Tech Support guy was amazed at the fact that I had tried every possible option he had. It was the quickest call he's ever had!
post #5241 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeone View Post

Didn't you already ask this?

Yes, you can get DTS from an MKV file over an optical cable. A lot depends on what is the source of your audio, what is playing the MKV. If your TV just passes the DTS to the receiver to decode, and you will see the receiver light up with DTS. If not, then the TV does the decoding, and the receiver is just passing it along, and the DTS indicator will not light up.

Will you even notice the DTS and effects with only 2 speakers? I doubt it ....

I've gotten DTS over an optical cable from a PC, using VLC to play the MKV. My TV (Samsung LN46C630) will not pass digital audio signals (surround, etc) over an optical cable, except for over-the-air DTV signals.

Thanks for the advice Mike. I was able to see the DTS indicator light up when playing an MKV with DTS audio (I realized that all my MKVs do not have DTS audio). So the optical cable is capable of passing the DTS audio to the reciever.

Also...you are right.. I may not be able to get the surround effects with 2 speakers now.. but I just wanted to know if my setup is futureproof (I intend to switch to 5 speakers sometime in the future)

Btw, the source of the audio in my case is the TV as it has an inbuilt media player to play back audio and video files through the USB port.
post #5242 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

In this setup, the HDMI output to the 2nd monitor would ONLY carry video... meaning you wouldn't have to futz with the HDMI Audio setting.

Batpig, you win the special mention of the day for employing the highly technical Yiddishism "futz" in your esoteric treatise on setting up a second monitor. I expect that any second the duck will come down and award you $100. (Extra points bestowed to those who get that reference.) Kudos and mazel tov to you!!!
post #5243 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Just ordered the 2112CI. Finally decided to jump on board after months of drooling.

Dave
post #5244 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered here already, but what is the consensus on ripping CD's in terms of audio quality? I'd like to rip all of my CDs to my computer. FLACs? MP3s? Apple lossless?

I have a 2112 that is hard wired to my network. I can store media on my PC, or on an i-Pod. Airplay playback is very convenient, I haven't played with the Denon app enough to know how it's media browser/player works. I am adding a pair of speakers, driven from Zone2 in my livingroom for music.

Suggestions?
post #5245 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i use alac (apple lossless)... if you already live in an apple world, this is the best/easiest way to do things...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5246 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Batpig, you win the special mention of the day for employing the highly technical Yiddishism "futz" in your esoteric treatise on setting up a second monitor. I expect that any second the duck will come down and award you $100. (Extra points bestowed to those who get that reference.) Kudos and mazel tov to you!!!

"futz" is a term only used by those who are highly technical advisors... along with "thingie", etc.

lol... do we get extra points just for being old?

the duck may come down, but i betcha he isn't allowed to have a cigar in his bill anymore...

"the one... the only.... GROUCHO!!!"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5247 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post

Forgive me if this has been covered here already, but what is the consensus on ripping CD's in terms of audio quality? I'd like to rip all of my CDs to my computer. FLACs? MP3s? Apple lossless?

I have a 2112 that is hard wired to my network. I can store media on my PC, or on an i-Pod. Airplay playback is very convenient, I haven't played with the Denon app enough to know how it's media browser/player works. I am adding a pair of speakers, driven from Zone2 in my livingroom for music.

Suggestions?

well, in terms of quality lossless is lossless, ALAC or FLAC is going to sound identical. That's what "lossless" means High bitrate MP3 can sound virtually identical and save a lot of space, but a lot of folks will prefer lossless for "archival" purposes, just to have peace of mind that they aren't "missing anything".

the decision of format really depends on factors not having to do with sound quality. For example, if you are in the "apple biosphere" then you might prefer Apple lossless since it's all internally compatible. But if you are not using iTunes then FLAC would probably be better. Or, if you are interested in maximum compatibility with a variety of devices, MP3 is essentially universal.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5248 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

happy new year!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5249 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.sri View Post

Thanks for the advice Mike. I was able to see the DTS indicator light up when playing an MKV with DTS audio (I realized that all my MKVs do not have DTS audio). So the optical cable is capable of passing the DTS audio to the reciever.

Also...you are right.. I may not be able to get the surround effects with 2 speakers now.. but I just wanted to know if my setup is futureproof (I intend to switch to 5 speakers sometime in the future)

Btw, the source of the audio in my case is the TV as it has an inbuilt media player to play back audio and video files through the USB port.

My TV can do playback, too. But it can't pass the digital audio effects back over an optical cable. It will only pass DTS or surround that comes from a DTV source, according to the manual. That's one of the reasons I use an HTPC, rather than just playing the media from my TV. Your TV model may be different, and therefore may pass those effects over the optical cable.
post #5250 of 19157 Old 09-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

Sorry guys, gotta vent again.

This AVR-2112CI remote won't control my Westinghouse TV. When I go through the supported TV manufacturers that start with W, I see:

Waltham
Watson
Weltstar
Wharfedale
Wilson
Windsor
Windy Sam

but no Westinghouse. Now I know Westinghouse is not the Westinghouse of yore, and that another company simply bought the name. But, this Westinghouse TV manufacturer has been around for years, is quite popular, and is sold by large chains such as Best Buy and Walmart. I find it rather frustrating that a Denon receiver made in 2011 would not support such a popular TV brand.

Of course, that's just one of many things I find frustrating about this receiver.

You find it frustrating that the "Setup remote" included in the box doesn't support your off-brand TV? The "CI" part of the model number stands for "Custom Integration", and after an integrator sets up the receiver in a customer's house, they throw that remote in a drawer and give the customer a custom programmed universal remote.

The Denon remote is as functional as it needs to be to control the AVR. Beyond that, get a better remote.

That being said, try the codesets from Akai and Funai for your TV. They were the OEMs for Westinghouse.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page