Forum Jump: 

post #7771 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

A lot Windows based posters have added their music to iTunes. I have copied some of my music over to iTunes and it sounds great but have reservation on the formats they use and the degradation in SQ it may have using their formats. For me this is still a work in progress and I will have to do some research to figure it out and try to get my head around this.

As for the question you asked. The Denon DLNA Media Server works fine and plays most formats. Yes you can grab folders and playlist but as for making playlist on the run and interface, it is not that intuitive and most use a 3rd party software like tversity or Media Money etc... Or use 3rd party hardware like Boxee Box, Roku, PS3 or Apple TV2 for a better interface with iTunes etc...

Thanks for the info. I figure a lot of people probably just use iTunes, but I don't want to be forced to use that if I don't have to. I currently use tversity to play music/video on my xbox so if that works with the Denon, that's a good start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Someone please help. Have 1612 with Sony KDFE50A10 and Klipsch HD 1000 speakers +PS3. Hooked everything up last weekend and all worked flawless. Turned on the other day and blank screen/no sound.
No devices are hooked up to Internet. Have tested all HDMI cables and all work fine. PS3 to TV via HDMI works. Have turned Denon off even overnight, nothing. Have reset the microprocessor. Have tried different length HDMI. Have even exchanged 1612's.
On initial setup this weekend it turned on and showed me the setup wizard and i went from there. Now I can't even get that far. Nothing but blank screen. What in the world can I do/try? It's as if the TV has decided it doesn't like my 1612.
post #7773 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^

Try turning off the CEC on your panel if your tv has this feature. Also have you tried different hdmi cables to your Tv and are they 1.3 or 1.4 high speed? The only other thing I can think of is to try different ports on your Tv.
post #7774 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Only one HDMI on the TV. What is CEC? I might try a different HDMI. Heard of HDMI/HDCP compliant switch as well. My Best Buy only has one at $100+ though.
post #7775 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrin00 View Post

Only one HDMI on the TV. What is CEC? I might try a different HDMI. Heard of HDMI/HDCP compliant switch as well. My Best Buy only has one at $100+ though.

Yours is an older rear projection TV that does not have CEC (Consumer Electronic Control). I couldn't quite tell if the highest resolution is 720p or 1080i so try using those resolutions on your sources and Tv hdmi setting.
post #7776 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM

It's 720p and 1080i. The tv shows both and decides automatically with preference to 1080i.
post #7777 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM

ok, i replaced my speakers with energy rc series.did the set up and calibaration, everything runs fine. however, when i look at parameter check now i see my front and center speakers are not small but large. well, they are large right? i remember in one of the previous posts you guys suggested to chnage them to small, dont remember exactly why. could you please help me?
post #7778 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no. it doesn't stand to reason at all... because you aren't diverting more power to the speakers... it doesn't work that way...

you can't compare the volume setting of one soundfield vs. another and get any meaningful information out of it at all...

it's louder because the signal level is "louder"... not because "it's getting more power diverted to it" (although it is getting more power, due to the higher signal level)...

you DO have more power available to you when driving 2 channels vs. 7... this is because they are all drinking from the same power supply bucket... however, all this means is that you can turn the volume knob farther to the right...

simplicity or difficulty of math doesn't matter when the math is mis-applied...

it has EVERYTHING to do with the processing, so that's the correct tree to be barking up...

Wait. If the processing in most avr's have the signal level of 2 channel processing higher than multi-channel processing which is likely because of the higher amount of available power, doesn't that make my statement correct, even if its indirectly so?

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #7779 of 19194 Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 PM

A few years ago I ripped most of my CD's to my HP Computer running Vista Home at a high quality bit rate. My current setup is a Denon 2312 hardwired to my Apple Airport Extreme with Cat5. I have gotten pretty lazy and just used Rhapsody but I noticed that any Rhapsody only plays at 128 kbps. When I selected Media Server on the Denon, it found my higher quality music files and played them with kbps of 190-256kbps and it sounded really good. I have a couple of questions: Exactly where does the Denon "Media Server" look ? It showed a WMA then the kbps. The software is kind of clunky. What is the best software to use to play stuff on the Denon and how do you direct "Media Server" to look at the software? Thanks.
post #7780 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlongbow View Post

ok, i replaced my speakers with energy rc series.did the set up and calibaration, everything runs fine. however, when i look at parameter check now i see my front and center speakers are not small but large. well, they are large right? i remember in one of the previous posts you guys suggested to chnage them to small, dont remember exactly why. could you please help me?

Anytime there is a subwoofer in the mix, you want to set ALL speakers to SMALL with 80hz minimum crossover so the lower range is sent to the sub which can generally better handle these lower frequencies. Also note there are more Audyssey sub filters then speaker filters as well as the sub has a separate amp so the more that is passed to it, the less of a load on the AVR itself.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7781 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

no. it doesn't stand to reason at all... because you aren't diverting more power to the speakers... it doesn't work that way...

you can't compare the volume setting of one soundfield vs. another and get any meaningful information out of it at all...

it's louder because the signal level is "louder"... not because "it's getting more power diverted to it" (although it is getting more power, due to the higher signal level)...

you DO have more power available to you when driving 2 channels vs. 7... this is because they are all drinking from the same power supply bucket... however, all this means is that you can turn the volume knob farther to the right...

simplicity or difficulty of math doesn't matter when the math is mis-applied...

it has EVERYTHING to do with the processing, so that's the correct tree to be barking up...

Damn... you just LOVE trolling threads and arguing with people dont you? Even if you ARE right... Get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Wait. If the processing in most avr's have the signal level of 2 channel processing higher than multi-channel processing which is likely because of the higher amount of available power, doesn't that make my statement correct, even if its indirectly so?

what he's trying to say is that AVR's do not automatically USE or GIVE more power per channel in 2-channel mode vs. 5,7,9 channel mode. The sound processing in stereo mode vs. 5,7,9 channel modes is affected because the receiver has less signal to carry to less speakers. It IS actually and quite simply mathematical... 2<5/7/9 lol

Hope that helps
post #7782 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 AM

Now, I am getting seriously impressed with the 2312!!! I have it connected by Cat 5 to my Apple Airport Extreme, through a gigabit switch. I have a "media server" which is my HP with a 500GB drive. I was trying to understand what the 2312 looked at when Media Server is selected. Well, it looks like it finds just Windows Media Player files. When accessed they show the bit rate on the screen of my TV.( I went into the GUI Option page and changed the default of 30 seconds to Always because I wanted to be able to look at the screen and see what is playing. Since each song is around 3 minutes I don't think I will get any burn in issues.) I was looking for software to play my audio files. I finally just moved everything into Itunes and I will use it. About 1/2 of my files are in the 190-256 kbps quality range. I subscribed to IMatch( $24.95 for a year) and the process moved my audio to the cloud and upgraded everything to 256kbps. They were able to match about 3/4 of my files and now the HP is sending the remainder via an upload.( The upload link is slower than the download so it will take a little while ). Anyway, the Icloud synced my library to my MacBook PRO and my Iphone 4. I can now use the Cloud and Airplay to play my library, using my iphone, my MBP or my HP. Also, I can play Rhasody and Pandora through Airplay.
post #7783 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

no... it's not the processing in the avr... it's the processing when the source was mixed/mastered... which can be multiple different things (was the dynamic range squeezed out of it? was it simply recorded hotter? etc.)...

and no, the matrixing algorithms within an avr do not take into account amplifier power...

also keep in mind that there are no mixing standards for music, whereas for mch movie tracks, there are... on a proper calibrated avr, 0db reflects reference for a movie mix... it means virtually nothing for a for a music mix (whether it be 2 ch or mch)...

you can prove some of the above to yourself without even leaving the stereo domain...

take a cd of modern pop music (such as katy)... also take a cd of a classical recording... don't change your volume level... play one right after the other... even if the tracks were mastered at exactly the same level, katy will appear to be "louder", because she has virtually no dynamic range...

you are taking one thing (what is the source level) and attributing what you "hear" to something else (how much is in the power supply bucket)... while it might seem "logical" to do so, it's not... the person doing the mix (or the algorithm in the avr doing the matrixing) doesn't care how much amplifier power you have... realistically, they couldn't care even if they wanted to, as they have no way of knowing how much power you have available...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7784 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post

I bought a smart strip and found that it doesn't reliably work. No matter where I adjust the sensitivity it either stays on or stays off when it shouldn't. I went to the Smart Strip manufacturer's support forum (http://bitsltd.net/phpBB3/viewtopic....467&p=597#p597) and found this information:

"The first thing I would like to point out is that we do not recommend the use of receivers as the 'Control' device of the Smart Strip for the exact reasons you are seeing. Most receivers draw power differently than other electronic devices. This in turn makes them unsuitable 'Control' devices for the Smart Strip. The reason for this is because of how the Smart Strip determines whether it should be on or not."

I am using this smart strip I purchased at Menards with my 2112 with no problems. I am switching off a fan, wii, ps3, and HD-A2.
I am using this one:Smart Strip
post #7785 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 AM

Hey guys,

I picked up a used Denon AVR 3806 for $300 the other day. Did the calibration with mic, and noticed there are three settings on the roomEQ option.

1. Audyssey
2. Front
3. Flat

I understand "Audyssey" corrects for room corrections, and "flat" is supposed to be good for movies at it flattens out the curve.

Now I do also understand that "front" is supposed to help match the center to your mains. When do we use this setting though? It seems to me dialog in movies is more clear with this option.
post #7786 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

wrong thread...

however...

a) unless your room/setup (or processing use), meets some very specific conditions, you should use #1...

b) #2 should never be used....

c) your interpretation of what #3 does is incorrect... it would be used for the conditions alluded to in "a" (and described in the link below)...

here's a link for you to read, straight from the horse's mouth...

an explanation of the target curves from chris k at audyssey...

hth...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7787 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I just finished searching the thread for a solution and noticed numerous people are having the same problem...

After setting up my 2112, Airplay worked fine. However, if I turn off the AVR and then later try and use Airplay the 2112 is greyed out in iTunes. Network standby is ON. I have to turn network standby to OFF, turn off the AVR, turn the AVR back on, and turn network standby back to ON before the 2112 will show up in iTunes again. This has to be repeated day after day.

Background info:
Airplay works perfectly with my 4311.
Both the 4311 and the 2112 are being streamed music from my iMac that wirelessly connects to my network.
My 4311 is hardwired to my router and the 2112 uses a wireless bridge.
The internet radio works fine on the 2112.
The 2112's firmware is up-to-date.

Any ideas? Is there a more appropriate thread? Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #7788 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8yp View Post

Damn... you just LOVE trolling threads and arguing with people dont you? Even if you ARE right... Get a life

what he's trying to say is that AVR's do not automatically USE or GIVE more power per channel in 2-channel mode vs. 5,7,9 channel mode. The sound processing in stereo mode vs. 5,7,9 channel modes is affected because the receiver has less signal to carry to less speakers. It IS actually and quite simply mathematical... 2<5/7/9 lol

Hope that helps

Ignore this guy (ten) he goes from thread to thread with off the cuff remarks with no knowledge and no research to back his remarks.
post #7789 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

I just finished searching the thread for a solution and noticed numerous people are having the same problem...

After setting up my 2112, Airplay worked fine. However, if I turn off the AVR and then later try and use Airplay the 2112 is greyed out in iTunes. Network standby is ON. I have to turn network standby to OFF, turn off the AVR, turn the AVR back on, and turn network standby back to ON before the 2112 will show up in iTunes again. This has to be repeated day after day.

Background info:
Airplay works perfectly with my 4311.
Both the 4311 and the 2112 are being streamed music from my iMac that wirelessly connects to my network.
My 4311 is hardwired to my router and the 2112 uses a wireless bridge.
The internet radio works fine on the 2112.
The 2112's firmware is up-to-date.

Any ideas? Is there a more appropriate thread? Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Check page 1. post 3 12a
post #7790 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ignore this guy (ten) he goes from thread to thread with off the cuff remarks with no knowledge and no research to back his remarks.

he's been on ignore pretty much after his first few posts... if you don't quote him, we won't have to read his, ummm, observations...

- chris

post #7791 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check page 1. post 3 12a

This only temporarily fixes the issue. The next time I turn off the 2112 (and then later back on to listen to use Airplay) iTunes can't find the 2112. My 4311 doesn't have this issue...

post #7792 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM

is there a difference between using a coaxial or optical cable when connecting a cd player to the receiver?
post #7793 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Nope .. none at all.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #7794 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM

I have the Denon 1712. On the menu, it says my BD (a PS3) is one Zone 2. I cannot figure out a) why, and b) how to make NOT on Zone 2. I only have 1 x set of 5.1 surround speakers, so nothing crazy.

1) Does my PS3 being on Zone 2 really affect anything? (ie make it only a 2-channel sound)

2) how do I have everything on Zone 1? (I only use one thing at a time)
post #7795 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This only temporarily fixes the issue. The next time I turn off the 2112 (and then later back on to listen to use Airplay) iTunes can't find the 2112. My 4311 doesn't have this issue...

You can try resetting your router and switch.
post #7796 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can try resetting your router and switch.

No switch. I have reset the router. Based on what I have read, it seems that the issue is with the 2112.

post #7797 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbiscuit View Post

I have the Denon 1712. On the menu, it says my BD (a PS3) is one Zone 2. I cannot figure out a) why, and b) how to make NOT on Zone 2. I only have 1 x set of 5.1 surround speakers, so nothing crazy.

1) Does my PS3 being on Zone 2 really affect anything? (ie make it only a 2-channel sound)

2) how do I have everything on Zone 1? (I only use one thing at a time)

AFAIK no, however, for piece of mind, simply select TUNER for Zone 2 and get it off of the BD source.

post #7798 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

no... it's not the processing in the avr... it's the processing when the source was mixed/mastered... which can be multiple different things (was the dynamic range squeezed out of it? was it simply recorded hotter? etc.)...

and no, the matrixing algorithms within an avr do not take into account amplifier power...

So how does this function then? No matter how many channels you have going (2 or 3 or 5 or 7+) the AVR will "attempt" to bring the same amount of power "per channel" to your speakers at a specific volume setting? Does this mean that running more channels will simply make the AVR clip at a lower volume setting than running only 2 or 3 channels? That the AVR simply gives out cleaner power and can play louder (higher volume setting) with fewer channels?

Quote:

also keep in mind that there are no mixing standards for music, whereas for mch movie tracks, there are... on a proper calibrated avr, 0db reflects reference for a movie mix... it means virtually nothing for a for a music mix (whether it be 2 ch or mch)...

I'm aware.

Quote:

you can prove some of the above to yourself without even leaving the stereo domain...

take a cd of modern pop music (such as katy)... also take a cd of a classical recording... don't change your volume level... play one right after the other... even if the tracks were mastered at exactly the same level, katy will appear to be "louder", because she has virtually no dynamic range...

I've already done extensive A/B/C/D testing with a variety of sources. And in every single case, playing content in 2 channel mode was simply louder. It didn't matter if the source was a music CD, modern Pop, 80's rock, classical or soundtracks, cable TV, a DVD or Blu Ray. Placing the AVR in 2 channel mode was the loudest setting.
By contrast, placing the AVR in Dolby Digital was the lowest setting although it seemed as if DD utilized a lot of dynamic range. DTS seemed to be the middle of the road with a louder general setting, but somewhat less Dynamic Range than DD (though still quite dynamic)

When I play content, I usually play it in "direct" mode so that the audio is played exactly as it is encoded on the disc (or whatever the source is) unless the source is inferior, in which case I'll have the AVR do what it can to clean up the source or improve it (IMO) in some way.

Quote:

you are taking one thing (what is the source level) and attributing what you "hear" to something else (how much is in the power supply bucket)... while it might seem "logical" to do so, it's not... the person doing the mix (or the algorithm in the avr doing the matrixing) doesn't care how much amplifier power you have... realistically, they couldn't care even if they wanted to, as they have no way of knowing how much power you have available...

I am absolutely not taking the source level and attributing it to what I hear, since what I heard was consistent no matter the source used.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #7799 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

No switch. I have reset the router. Based on what I have read, it seems that the issue is with the 2112.

Have you tried a direct connection to the router to rule out the issue being with the wireless bridge? Also, when you are finished with streaming Airplay audio do you make sure to stop any network playback by pressing the button?

post #7800 of 19194 Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Not sure I can call this progress... However I DO NEED SOME HELP!

Previously I could not get the firmware update to do anything except get stuck at 'Authenticating...' So today I directly connected the AVR to my cable modem - so nothing was in the way.

Hey presto - firmware update started. Great!

Went through updates - Main, Sub, GUI, Ether SBL (that's what bits I saw anyway).

HOWEVER... Next visit to the AVR (about 40 minutes into the process), I see Retry Update - with 5 arrows. This kept going with repeated power off/on until the display showed ConnectionFail25.

Now all I can get is an Retry Update when I power on and I have to pull the power cord since holding power button in just resets the AVR and it goes back through the loop of Retry Update for about 6 tries, then resets power off/on then repeats ad infinitum...

HELP!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page