Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ques currently in the research stage for a new avr and Denon is on my short list and looking for advice. I've been out of the loop for awhile so there's alot to learn as I'm finding out.

My room is ab 12x13 and i'm fairly set on going with CHT SHO-10's for a 5.1 setup. I have a sub that I'm going to stick with for the time being as it will save me some money to put else where. Will upgrade at a later date possibly to two subs.

The AVR's I'm looking at are the 2112 or the 3312. Possibly the 4311 for XT32 if recommended. One thing that does bother me that I just read a few posts ago that denon hasn't had a great track record with networking.

Components that will be hooked up Samsung un55d8000, blue ray, Xbox, Fios and htpc.

Any advice is appreciated. Thnx in advance.
post #8223 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 PM

I just replaced an Onkyo 707 with the Denon 2312. I am having trouble figuring out how to get the AVR to turn on when the TV set is turned on. This worked perfectly with the Onkyo but for some reason I can't get the Denon to turn on automatically. This is a valued feature to keep the AV set up wife and kid friendly! Am I missing a setting? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #8224 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 891
is HDMI Control enabled in HDMI Setup (pg 106)? HDMI-CEC can be a bit flaky though so it may or may not work....

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8225 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myers View Post

Ques currently in the research stage for a new avr and Denon is on my short list and looking for advice. I've been out of the loop for awhile so there's alot to learn as I'm finding out.

My room is ab 12x13 and i'm fairly set on going with CHT SHO-10's for a 5.1 setup. I have a sub that I'm going to stick with for the time being as it will save me some money to put else where. Will upgrade at a later date possibly to two subs.

The AVR's I'm looking at are the 2112 or the 3312. Possibly the 4311 for XT32 if recommended. One thing that does bother me that I just read a few posts ago that denon hasn't had a great track record with networking.

Components that will be hooked up Samsung un55d8000, blue ray, Xbox, Fios and htpc.

For a room that small the 4311 is likely overkill, although it IS a phenomenal unit and if you can afford and want to go "balls out" then I won't try to stop you

Your speakers are highly efficient so you need very little power, honestly the 2112 is plenty considering it has the same XT version of MultEQ as the 3312. And it's like you have a zillion components to hook up.

The networking is nice for firmware updates, config save/loads, and some basic streaming (e.g. Airplay), but don't expect a snazzy interface and slick operation like a 3rd party device can provide.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8226 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoran View Post

Let me know how it goes. I'm about to be in the same boat.

I opened a support ticket with logitech support telling them i wanted "batpigworld" and they moved me to level 2 support. The level 2 guy just wanted the commands from his user file, he didn't want to send me his whole denon commands though, so I listed the majority of the ones I wanted and he transferred them for free.
post #8227 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myers View Post

Sorry forgot to include that I would like to have air play and the ability to control the avr via iPhone or iPad. Also not in a rush since I don't have the speakers or new avr so if recommended buying in stages not an issue. I could make do with my current avr a Kenwood Sovereign believe the model is VR-5090 which doesn't have HDMI connections. Thanks again for all ur help.
post #8228 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm stickin' with my recommendation You sound like a 2112 guy unless you just have money to burn on a higher end model, or require a specific feature of the higher models (e.g. Audyssey DSX if you intend to add wides or heights).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8229 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
s.myers -

All of the XX12 networking models feature Airplay and can be operated using Denon's iphone REMOTE app. Refer to post #2 in this thread to determine which model offers the other features/inputs/outputs you want and go from there.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8230 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

is HDMI Control enabled in HDMI Setup (pg 106)? HDMI-CEC can be a bit flaky though so it may or may not work....

Everything is set according to the manual. This worked very reliably with Onkyo. Do most people have trouble getting the Denon AVR to turn on via HDMI? It is turning off when the TV goes off reliably.

Thanks.
post #8231 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

I just replaced an Onkyo 707 with the Denon 2312. I am having trouble figuring out how to get the AVR to turn on when the TV set is turned on. This worked perfectly with the Onkyo but for some reason I can't get the Denon to turn on automatically. This is a valued feature to keep the AV set up wife and kid friendly! Am I missing a setting? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Although the AVR will generally always go OFF, in some cases it won't turn back on again depending on the display device. Make sure the cycle the TV and AVR OFF/ON again after making the HDMI Control/CEC settings on both the TV and AVR. You may also want to consider using a Harmony remote which much more wife/kid friendly then using the Denon remote.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8232 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

s.myers -

All of the XX12 networking models feature Airplay and can be operated using Denon's iphone REMOTE app. Refer to post #2 in this thread to determine which model offers the other features/inputs/outputs you want and go from there.

Understood and have read but spec's alone does not tell one what other's have experienced or done
post #8233 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM

I just ordered the 2312CI and made it through the first 8 pages of this tonight (thanks for all the cool info) - getting late and I'm hoping one of you guys might give me input on networking or pointing me to some good posts/threads on the topic. I don't have ethernet at the TV/receiver so I've ordered a NETGEAR MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit and a D-Link DGS-1005G 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch to "hard wire" my network to the denon and maybe also to my new PN59D8000 smart TV. Does this sound like a good approach or could I have done something wireless for much less complexity and cost? (Hoping this question makes sense!) Thank you for any and all direction and input.

Another option would be to move my cable modem from my office to myy TV/receiver and connect my pc wirelessly....
post #8234 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakenyc View Post

I just ordered the 2312CI and made it through the first 8 pages of this tonight (thanks for all the cool info) - getting late and I'm hoping one of you guys might give me input on networking or pointing me to some good posts/threads on the topic. I don't have ethernet at the TV/receiver so I've ordered a NETGEAR MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit and a D-Link DGS-1005G 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch to "hard wire" my network to the denon and maybe also to my new PN59D8000 smart TV. Does this sound like a good approach or could I have done something wireless for much less complexity and cost? (Hoping this question makes sense!) Thank you for any and all direction and input.

Another option would be to move my cable modem from my office to myy TV/receiver and connect my pc wirelessly....

MoCA involves some translations, but it's a solid wired connection once you have it set up. Probably more reliable than wireless. I'd stick with what you've got, as long as it works.
post #8235 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Help!

I hope this is a case of my ignorance and not a case of abysmal quality control.

I did a microprocessor reset. Actually I did a few to try correct some HDMI control problems. Now I have no HDMI out from my Denon 2312. I have tried two different cables. Both cables work fine displaying another source on my TV.

Please tell me I am missing something and that I don't have a failed unit after one day!

Thanks.
post #8236 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quick question: Can the 2312 drive 4 ohm LCR speakers with 90db sensitivity (Similar to those Martin Logan Theos LR + Stage center) and 8 ohm surrounds? Thanks.
post #8237 of 19112 Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Quick question: Can the 2312 drive 4 ohm LCR speakers with 90db sensitivity (Similar to those Martin Logan Theos LR + Stage center) and 8 ohm surrounds? Thanks.

Sure, but not very loud.
post #8238 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 AM

This is my first post at AVS Forum, but I am sure I will have more as these products are pretty complex and a far cry from user intuitive IMHO.

I am trying to access my mp3 collection. I have this collection on 2 different drives, and neither of them is working with my new 2312 (thank you AVS Forum to "call" about the price, wow, what a difference).

Drive 1 is located on the box that shows up when I select "mServer" as my source.

Specs:
Dell Precision Workstation T7500
Pair of Xenon Quad Core X5550 chips
24 GB RAM
Pair of ATI FirePro V8700 FireGL cards (1 GB of video RAM each)
220 GB RevoDrive for system drive
1.5 TB WD Black Caviar drive with music stored on it

The 2312 is connected via Cat5 cable to the Netgear DGN2200 modem/router. The Workstation is connected via a WiFi connection.

When I choose mServer as my "Source", it takes FOREVER to process any commands. When it does, I AM able to find pictures on the same drive in the same folders as my music, and display those pictures as a slideshow, etc., on the tv screen. When I choose music though, it takes about 20 minutes looking at the drive, and then comes back with a message saying ---- empty ----.

The drive is formatted NTFS, but if it can see the pictures, I would think it should not have a problem with the music. The MP3's are all captured by me from my CD's and are all 320kbps.

Drive 2 is a WD 3TB external drive that I plug into various systems. It is a mirror of the music content on the internal drive with my music files. When I plug this into the USB port, it continually cycles between "Connecting" and "Assigning Network". It spends about 45 seconds on each and then bounces back to the other. This drive is also formatted as NTFS, and I have not attempted to look at the pictures or listen to the music on this drive because it is never even recognized by the 2312.

I was able to put a single album on a FAT32 thumb drive, and it recognized and played the music files almost immediately.

What am I doing wrong here? Is it the format of my drives being NTFS? Is it the quantity of music files on these drives (about 13,000 files)? Does the error exist between keyboard/remote and chair?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers~

Denon AVR-2312ci
LG 47LM6400
Oppo BDP-93
HTPC w/ Asus MB, 8GB RAM, Kingston SSD drive, Radeon 5400 video card
Klipsch HD300 Compact 5.1 (Main Zone)
B&W 601's (in Zone 2)
post #8239 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakenyc View Post

As others have noted, a "wired" connection will generally always be more reliable to mitigate networking issues and most especially to ensure successful firmware updates.

post #8240 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

Help!

I hope this is a case of my ignorance and not a case of abysmal quality control.

I did a microprocessor reset. Actually I did a few to try correct some HDMI control problems. Now I have no HDMI out from my Denon 2312. I have tried two different cables. Both cables work fine displaying another source on my TV.

Please tell me I am missing something and that I don't have a failed unit after one day!

Thanks.

Try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes and then when powering back on do a micro reset, ensuring the front panel display flashes for at least 4-5 secs before releasing the buttons.

post #8241 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac1960 View Post

I was able to put a single album on a FAT32 thumb drive, and it recognized and played the music files almost immediately.

What am I doing wrong here? Is it the format of my drives being NTFS? Is it the quantity of music files on these drives (about 13,000 files)? Does the error exist between keyboard/remote and chair?

Welcome to AVS Forum. As noted on p. 50 in your Owner's manual, the USB drives must be either FAT16 or FAT32. NTFS shouldn't be an issue with the network however. What media server software are you using? Have you tried TVersity or Twonky?

post #8242 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 AM

I just received a 2312 and have been tearing my hair out trying to get things configured. My video sources right now are definetely below the grade of this receiver, but they are next to be upgraded. As it stands right now, I have the TV (a toshiba LCD 32" I believe) and a very inexpensive Phillips DVD player.

I have the 2312 hooked up to the TV via a HDMI 1.4 cable. The DVD player is hooked up using R/W RCA cables for audio and a yellow RCA video cable. I have them hooked into the jacks marked for DVD (including the yellow cable going above the Blu Ray audio ins rather than being above the DVD audio ins).

I am getting no video signal to the TV. Audio is fine on the surround system being fed by the 2312, but no video to the screen. I was able to get the GUI on screen for a while, and now that has dissapeared as well. The GUI was showing when DVD was playing and when not playing, now not showing at all.

Here is a list of what I have done (not necessarily in this order):
  • Checked HDMI and RCA cables to ensure properly connected
  • Tried different RCA video cable. I have 4 RCA video cables and none of them resolved the issue
  • Hooked DVD player up direct to TV. Works fine with RCA video cable attached to RCA audio cables
  • Tried hooking DVD player up with component connections and modified "Input Source" settings to select those ports - no love
  • Tried hooking up DVD player using coax digital port and modified the "Input Source" settings to select those ports - still no love
  • Played with a multitude of combinations of ports plugged into and "Input Source" settings - nada
  • Turned the upscaling on/off/on/off - zilch
  • Adjusted the HDMI output settings, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, Off, etc - merde
  • Removed HDMI 3 way splitter from line going into TV - zero change
  • Shut down 2312, cut power supply for 20 minutes, turned it back on - same old same old
  • Did processor reset - wast of time as I just had to enter back in all my other settings
  • Retrieved axe from garage and threatened fancy electronic component - no effect

Obviously I am very frustrated. I will be getting a OPPO 93 next month which I am sure will work fine, but until then, I sure would like to be able to watch some video through this fancy piece of equipment. I would also like to get back the on screen GUI that I had for a while there, but it too now seems to be AWOL. The HDMI cable is more or less new, and I have verified it's fitness by hooking up a laptop to the TV with it, worked perfect.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a configuration file someone can send me that will make it all good? I can easily change the other settings as I am becoming well versed at navigating the menus and love the browser based interface.

Any help greatly appreciated and sorry if I have missed a thread already discussing this or was not able to find it in the owners manual. If it is (t)here, I could not find it.

Cheers!

Denon AVR-2312ci
LG 47LM6400
Oppo BDP-93
B&W 601's (in Zone 2)
post #8243 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Welcome to AVS Forum. As noted on p. 50 in your Owner's manual, the USB drives must be either FAT16 or FAT32. NTFS shouldn't be an issue with the network however. What media server software are you using? Have you tried TVersity or Twonky?

Thanks for the quick reply and pointing out that detail to me. Weird that it did let me run a slideshow off that same NTFS drive within one of the music folders.

I am not using any media server software other than the built in Win 7 Media Center stuff, and I have not really done anything with that. I did go in and change a setting to "Authorize" this box to act as a server or something because I was getting an error when I first tried going to it saying that box was not authorized.

I am open to recommendations on what to use, and would only caveat that this box (Dell T7500) will not be my media server ultimately as I will be getting a QNAP NAS soon to act as my server, so looking for something with a small footprint on this system, easily removable, no cost and something that plays nice with others.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Denon AVR-2312ci
LG 47LM6400
Oppo BDP-93
B&W 601's (in Zone 2)
post #8244 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 AM
585-645-1006

^^
First thing to note would be that you can use the "Web Control" feature (p. 77) to SAVE the config.dat file to your HTPC which would then allow you to LOAD it after doing a micro reset and not require you to run Audyssey again or reset your other settings changed prior to the reset.

Regarding the DVD player issue ...

1. It is properly connected as the composite video and analog audio inputs are not assignable so must all be connected to the same source labeled inputs.
2. Ensure that "Video Convert" (p. 90) is set to ON and "i/p Scaler" is set to "Analog" for the DVD source (although these are factory default settings so should not have changed).
3. Under the DVD settings, set HDMI, DIGITAL, and COMP all to NONE.
4. If still no joy, then try replacing the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV.

post #8245 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 AM

cadillac1960,

It sounds like you are having the problem that I am having. After one day I can no longer get any video out of the 2312 HDMI monitor port. It is incredibly frustrating.

The suggestions in the forum are to power off and do a microproc reset. It sounds like you have tried this already. I am going to try one more time. If it doesn't work I have to ship the unit back.

Good luck.
post #8246 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

^^
First thing to note would be that you can use the "Web Control" feature (p. 77) to SAVE the config.dat file to your HTPC which would then allow you to LOAD it after doing a micro reset and not require you to run Audyssey again or reset your other settings changed prior to the reset.

Regarding the DVD player issue ...

1. It is properly connected as the composite video and analog audio inputs are not assignable so must all be connected to the same source labeled inputs.
2. Ensure that "Video Convert" (p. 90) is set to ON and "i/p Scaler" is set to "Analog" for the DVD source (although these are factory default settings so should not have changed).
2. Try replacing the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV.

I appreciate the quick and thorogh reply. I will try those items tomorrow.

Cheers!

Denon AVR-2312ci
LG 47LM6400
Oppo BDP-93
B&W 601's (in Zone 2)
post #8247 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Sure, but not very loud.

Loud enough for 14x18' dedicated theater room? Thanks
post #8248 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am getting no video signal to the TV. Audio is fine on the surround system being fed by the 2312, but no video to the screen. I was able to get the GUI on screen for a while, and now that has dissapeared as well. The GUI was showing when DVD was playing and when not playing, now not showing at all.

Similar to what I went through with my vcr. I just ran a composite cable from the monitor out to the tv seperate from the hdmi. That solved it. I think the signal from the vcr was giving the scaler(?) problems in the avr. I have no problems with the component (wii) being sent to the tv over hdmi. This might be a temporary fix for you while you wait for your oppo.
post #8249 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes and then when powering back on do a micro reset, ensuring the front panel display flashes for at least 4-5 secs before releasing the buttons.

jdsmoothie,

Thanks for your responses. I am not sure about Denon's quality but this is a great forum. I hope I can get my 2312 to work.

Thanks.
post #8250 of 19112 Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I appreciate the quick and thorogh reply. I will try those items tomorrow.

Cheers!

Also note that the DVD input defaults to HDMI2, so ensure to set that setting to NONE as well.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page