Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
^^
Based on previous posts earlier today, I'd jump on the ABT purchase of the 2112CI and put the $100 in savings towards a pair of RTi A5s first to purchase when you can. Add the sub, center, and then surrounds last. As far as using the Cambridge audio speakers ... as Joey would say ... "foget about it."

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM
585-645-1006

Prior to posting or purchasing ... please read the first 6 posts in this thread.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #813 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post

Speaking of network control, have Denon published the RS232 codes for controlling the xx12 units?

As of a few years ago, Denon stopped publishing the serial commands as they are primarily for use by custom installers setting up the "CI" models in homes for new owners. Too many owners who were not technical enough to use them were calling Denon CSR for help; however, the Denon CSRs are not trained to provide assistance in this area. I should be able to get the command files in the next few weeks if not sooner. If you know how to use them, PM me with your email address and I will forward the 2112CI serial command file to you when I receive it.

"JD" –

post #814 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post

Thanks, Kalani. I also have FF4.01 installed. I just tried disabling all my FF add-ons and I installed the latest version of Java, but it didn't help. If I View Page Source, the code is there! The buttons just aren't showing up. I even started FF in Safe Mode, which *really* disables everything, including customizations, but the buttons still don't appear in the posts. Guess I'll have to use IE for AVS.

Save your bookmarks (if you care to), uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

I'd move to Chrome if I ever had to give up Firefox. Hell, I'd go to Safari before I resorted to IE...
post #815 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, just got my 3312 in today. Spent a copy of hours trying to get it setup. First problem I encountered was during the initial setup wizard, the video was going in and out every couple of seconds, then after a few minutes it would be completely distorted and you couldn't make out anything. Called Denon support, first guy told me it must be a handshaking issue with the tv. Try turning off cec or something like that, WHAT? Oh waitamin, go get a new expensive cable that supports 2e or something. Ok, so went to Compusa and bought new expensive cable and guess what, same problem. Call Denon back and they say it must be an issue with my tv. ( 1 yr old Panasonic plasma). So with Denon on phone, I go get my LCD from the kitchen and hook it up. Same problem. SO now Denon suggests a processor reset, I do that and still same problem. Well, after about 30 minutes on the phone, the Denon guy tells me to return the unit, it must be defective. C'MON!!!!! Really!!!!! Denon guy says sorry about that, hangs up.

After swearing for several minutes, and starting to totally regret this purchase, I start uplugging the HDMI inputs I have on the unit. First the Xbox, then the playstation, then the cable box, WAIT A MINUTE, the video shows up crystal clear. WTF????

It seems the receiver doesn't like to have devices plugged in before you go thru the setup wizard. Go figure. Anyways, I get everything plugged in and working using the wizard, I think. Hmmmm......

I am trying to figure out where to connect the PS3, the BD or Game1 input?
I don't have a standalone player for BluRay, just the PS3.
Any suggestions?

Also, tried using the Airplay feature.
Music was starting stopping intermittently. Maybe throughput issues?
I have a brand new Cisco E4200 router with a wireless bridge connected to wirelessly stream the music from pc. Seems like that would be fine.
Also, couldn't navigate music iwith the remote control, only could exit, then can not get back into Airplay unless initiated from pc. Don't like that.
I was hoping to be able to navigate playlists, favs, library from tv and just have the computer in a closet somewhere.

Well, its getting past my bedtime here but I'm sure I'll have more to come.
post #816 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Ordered my 3312CI last Thursday night from ABT, it shipped Friday and I got it today.

Unfortunately, I got it before I got the speakers to go with it so I am trying use get it setup and learn about it using audio out over HDMI to my TV. I've set HDMI Audio Out to TV but I get no sound. Input is Netflix movie coming in on HDMI, video fine but no audio. TV volume not muted, ran volume control on receiver to 0 db but heard nothing.

Checked BatPig's site but did not see anything obvious.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tim
post #817 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Got a hook up question... Tv is a 65 rptv. Has dvi and component. The cable box has hdmi.

Am I best to connect the cable box to the tv and the receiver to the cable box?

I want to be able to get the on screen display...

By the way i am talking about hooking up the 3312
post #818 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Ay chance of an IPad app for the 3322?
post #819 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJordan View Post

Ordered my 3312CI last Thursday night from ABT, it shipped Friday and I got it today.

Unfortunately, I got it before I got the speakers to go with it so I am trying use get it setup and learn about it using audio out over HDMI to my TV. I've set HDMI Audio Out to TV but I get no sound. Input is Netflix movie coming in on HDMI, video fine but no audio. TV volume not muted, ran volume control on receiver to 0 db but heard nothing.

Tim

Is Netflix built into your tv? If so you need to verify that it's ARC capable or run a optical cable from the tv to the avr. If it has ARC then You would enable HDMI control on both tv and avr.

In search of video bliss...
post #820 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Ay chance of an IPad app for the 3322?

The iPhone app works fine on my iPad.

In search of video bliss...
post #821 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy9 View Post

WHAT? Oh waitamin, go get a new expensive cable that supports 2e or something. Ok, so went to Compusa and bought new expensive cable and guess what, same problem.

After swearing for several minutes, and starting to totally regret this purchase, I start uplugging the HDMI inputs I have on the unit. First the Xbox, then the playstation, then the cable box, WAIT A MINUTE, the video shows up crystal clear. WTF????

It seems the receiver doesn't like to have devices plugged in before you go thru the setup wizard. Go figure. Anyways, I get everything plugged in and working using the wizard, I think. Hmmmm......

I am trying to figure out where to connect the PS3, the BD or Game1 input?
I don't have a standalone player for BluRay, just the PS3.
Any suggestions?

Sorry for your frustrating experience with the CSRs. The Denon CSRs are a 3rd party contractor based out of Texas and unfortunately they are not all trained as well as you would expect them to be .. sometimes giving out bad information. What is a "2e" cable btw? HDMI w/ethernet perhaps? Keep in mind that the only cable that is required should be labeled "HI Speed" ... doesn't matter if it's HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4, it will still work with HDMI 1.4 components.

Thanks for sharing your experience though as I believe this is the first time we've heard anything about the Setup Wizard having issues.

Regarding where to plug the PS3 in to .. it doesn't matter. Also remember that regardless of what the HDMI jack label actually says, you can assign the input itself to another input source name that you prefer.

"JD" –

post #822 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJordan View Post

Tim

Make sure to set the Netflix source device to pass stereo PCM 2.0 audio.

"JD" –

post #823 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Got a hook up question... Tv is a 65 rptv. Has dvi and component. The cable box has hdmi.

Am I best to connect the cable box to the tv and the receiver to the cable box?

I want to be able to get the on screen display...

By the way i am talking about hooking up the 3312

If you want the OSD then you'll need to connect the cable box to the AVR either via HDMI or component/optical and then HDMI-->DVI from the AVR to the TV. Try the HDMI first and if you get HDMI handshake issues then switch to component/optical.

"JD" –

post #824 of 19224 Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you want the OSD then you'll need to connect the cable box to the AVR either via HDMI or component/optical and then HDMI-->DVI from the AVR to the TV. Try the HDMI first and if you get HDMI handshake issues then switch to component/optical.

What awe handshake issues?

If I do component / optical then no OSS right?
post #825 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
585-645-1006

^^
HDMI handshake issues usually involve "audio dropouts" (although can involve video issues as well) and are most often seen when connecting some cable or satellite boxes to an AVR, as they are designed to be connected to the TV and are often times not HDCP certified. That's why you start with an HDMI connection first and if that results in no issues, you're good to go, otherwise give the component/optical a shot. The nice thing about the 3312CI is it will display the GUI with either connection ... unlike the models below it which will ONLY display the GUI over HDMI inputs.

"JD" –

post #826 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

The iPhone app works fine on my iPad.

But an iPad app would be better!
post #827 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:

^^
HDMI handshake issues usually involve "audio dropouts" (although can involve video issues as well) and are most often seen when connecting some cable or satellite boxes to an AVR, as they are designed to be connected to the TV and are often times not HDCP certified. That's why you start with an HDMI connection first and if that results in no issues, you're good to go, otherwise give the component/optical a shot. The nice thing about the 3312CI is it will display the GUI with either connection ... unlike the models below it which will ONLY display the GUI over HDMI inputs.

Oh.... Thought I read the gui is only hdmi. Could that have been on the 3311ci?
post #828 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 AM
585-645-1006

Nope .. same feature applies to the 3311CI as well.

"JD" –

post #829 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM

jd...you seem to be well connected to Denon, hope you can help me with a decision. I can get a 3312 from ABT for 150 off MSRP and a 3311 from Dakmart for 500 off MSRP. On the Denon website it shows Dakmart as a "B-stock only" dealer which I believe means a refurb unit? My big concern with the 3311 is the network/HDMI board problems. Would I have less concerns with a refurb 3311...i.e. they may have replaced the board during the reconditioning?? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jack
post #830 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Although in past years I have heard good things about Dakmart refurbs, more often then not in the past year or so I've read about defective units being received from Dakmart, so I would suggest avoiding them. There's also no guarantee the NIC will have been replaced which would require you sending it in for replacement should it fail. Additionally you only get a 1 year warranty on the 3311CI vs. 3 years with a new 3312CI. Although the 3312CI has a new network card configuration, and as yet untested due to just being released, I'd still go with the new 3312CI which also offers a few extra features over the 3311CI including a more advanced GUI that can display over both 2D and 3D video.

"JD" –

post #831 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:

^^
Although in past years I have heard good things about Dakmart refurbs, more often then not in the past year or so I've read about defective units being received from Dakmart, so I would suggest avoiding them. There's also no guarantee the NIC will have been replaced which would require you sending it in for replacement should it fail. Additionally you only get a 1 year warranty on the 3311CI vs. 3 years with a new 3312CI. Although the 3312CI has a new network card configuration, and as yet untested due to just being released, I'd still go with the new 3312CI which also offers a few extra features over the 3311CI including a more advanced GUI that can display over both 2D and 3D video.

THANK YOU very much...appreciate the prompt reply! With the price increase coming, I needed to make a decision soon and your insight about Dakmart is definitely a deal breaker. I have had a Denon 2805 for years with NO PROBLEMS and I would like to keep it that way! Does the 150 off MSRP at ABT sound about as good as I can find?

Thanks again...Jack
post #832 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Really interested in the 2112CI but I was hoping for a separate powered zone 2. I read that the rear surrounds can be routed to zone 2 but I really want to keep those channels for future front highs or rear surrounds.
How much work/ button pushing is involved in re-routing to zone 2? I was thinking about keeping the zone 2 speakers (going outside) hooked up as well as the front highs with a cheap speaker selector. I don't mind not being able to do both zones at the same time I just want to switch easily without having to run a separate amp or having to fiddle with the back of the receiver each time.
post #833 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklerj01 View Post

Does the 150 off MSRP at ABT sound about as good as I can find?

Yes .. especially as they seem to be the only reseller with stock at the moment.

"JD" –

post #834 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Will using 4Ohm speakers with this receiver be okay??

I currently only have speakers froma HTIB setup unfortunately...
post #835 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Really interested in the 2112CI but I was hoping for a separate powered zone 2. I read that the rear surrounds can be routed to zone 2 but I really want to keep those channels for future front highs or rear surrounds.
How much work/ button pushing is involved in re-routing to zone 2? I was thinking about keeping the zone 2 speakers (going outside) hooked up as well as the front highs with a cheap speaker selector. I don't mind not being able to do both zones at the same time I just want to switch easily without having to run a separate amp or having to fiddle with the back of the receiver each time.

For a seperate powered Zone 2 you would need to upgrade to the 4311CI which is a 9.2 AVR otherwise you wouldn't be able to support 7.1 in the main zone in addition to the 2 more channels needed for Zone 2. Not much effort to go into the menu and change AMP ASSIGN from Zone 2 to F.Height. Keep in mind though that only "analog" sources can pass to Zone 2. If you want to pass the same source as in the main zone then set AMP ASSIGN to Front B instead, although you'll have no independent volume capability in that configuration.

"JD" –

post #836 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Hello All!

New to the forum, but have been using information provided here for years.
Currently have 3803, but needed to replace it with something that accepts HDMI-CEC.

Was thinking about 1712, 1912 and 2112. Price difference between 1912 and 2112 obviously not big enough to go with 1912. That left me with two options - 1712 or 2112. At the end of the day decided to go with 2112 just because of networking options, although I don't know if I'll ever use them except for firmware updates.

Thought about buying it maybe by the end of the year. Just bought a new TV and did not want to add another expense at this time. rumors about raising price kind of made me change my decision. Also reading about $499 from ABT made it look not as expensive. I know it's only a $100 difference, but it's just makes it sociologically looks less expensive since now it's in the $500 range instead of $500 to $1000 range.

Anyway, this morning I did chat with ABT and the lowest they would to go was $540. I told them that my friends are getting it for $499. They just dropped the chat connection without even saying have a good day (they even don't have it in stock). 6Ave did not have it and don't have an ETA. OneCall had it for $649. Called J&R - their lowest was $549.
At the end I contacted Electronics Expo (chat). They had it in stock. I mentioned them that my friends are getting it from their competitor for lower then advertised MSRP, and that now I obviously have price in mind. They asked what the price is. I told $499. They guy told me $489. 10 minutes later I had electronic Receipt in my inbox and $489 charge on my amex.

Although I made a purchase, I still have one question. From audio fidelity stand point, is 2112 upgrade from 3803 or not? I did not do side by side technical comparison, but pricewise 3803 when it came out was double the price. It obviously could have been attributed to manufacturing cost and 2112could be still better but cheaper to build. But I was hoping that someone knowledgeable could put my mind at ease. I didn't want to buy just HDMI switcher.
post #837 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

^^
1. I would call OneCall and tell them you can get it for $100 less at ABT and see if they will match that price. I did this when I ordered from J&R and found my AVR to be $100 less at 6Ave a week later. J&R matched the reduced price. If OneCall won't match it, then I would see if ABT even has any in stock before deciding to cancel, otherwise leave well enough alone and make the wiser purchase when you decide to upgrade.

2. Considering you are in a bedroom, your power requirements are not that great and as your existing Sony (which is likely only putting out 50W max) is able to handle the load, so to should the 2112CI. The only issue would be the result of wanting to move the 2112CI into a larger family room where louder volume would be needed.

Or you could do what I did this morning and order the 2112CI at Electronics Expo for $399. I was amazed that I got it that cheap but it's for real. I tried ABT but they were backordered so just started calling all the authorized retailers and ran into this steal.
post #838 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
585-645-1006

kyxapka --

Any model (other than the 1312) would likely sound better than your 3803 as although it has better components then any of the current models, your 3803 lacks Audyssey, both of which (MultEQ or MultEQ XT) would likely give you better audio fidelity. Several 3802 owner's posted in the 1910 thread a couple of years ago that they were impressed with the new sound Audyssey MultEQ offered compared to their old models.

"JD" –

post #839 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythlar View Post

Or you could do what I did this morning and order the 2112CI at Electronics Expo for $399. I was amazed that I got it that cheap but it's for real. I tried ABT but they were backordered so just started calling all the authorized retailers and ran into this steal.

If you are serious, you just made my day!!!!!

So just to clarify on the zone 2, Can I hook up a speaker selector to the rear surround channel and switch between front highs and my outside speakers? Just manually switching it on the selector and a few buttons on the 2112 to reroute to zone 2 right? I don't care if it is digital, it will be for Pandora only.
post #840 of 19224 Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

If you are serious, you just made my day!!!!!

So just to clarify on the zone 2, Can I hook up a speaker selector to the rear surround channel and switch between front highs and my outside speakers? Just manually switching it on the selector and a few buttons on the 2112 to reroute to zone 2 right? I don't care if it is digital, it will be for Pandora only.

Very serious. Been reading this forum for a few weeks and settled on the 2112. Heard about the MSRP uptick coming and decided to pull the trigger. Couldn't believe the deal. I just asked what their best price was and they said $399. I verified I had the right model and they confirmed. Got my receipt a bit ago and it's got DENAVR2112CI Denon AVR2112CI (DENAVR2112CI) in there correctly! I was shocked.

Looking forward to getting it and then setup following jdsmoothie and batpig. You guys rock btw. Amazing info on this thread and others. I salute you!

-Mythlar
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page