The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've got the 1712, and I've had a slight annoyance with dialogue being drowned out by loud effects; muffled dialogue in action setpieces.

Reading through this thread, I've found that people notice the same thing and in turn suggest increasing the "CH. Level" for the center channel, or making the reference offset 10db. I don't wholly understand what the latter option is, so can someone educate me? Which should I do to rectify the problem?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
^^
Setting Dyn EQ to ON boosts the bass and surround audio at volume levels below 0db which is fine for movie sources which are mixed to a reference level. However, TV and music is not mixed that same way so you can reduce the affect of Dyn EQ (specifically bass boost) when watching TV which will allow for better quality dialog from the center channel. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then simply bump up the center channel volume (using the button on the remote) a few db to suit your preference.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9003 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Then if you have determined it's a loose HDMI jack and can easily return it, that might be your best option.

This sucks. My setup sounds awesome but I don't want a defective unit.
post #9004 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafYblind View Post

This sucks. My setup sounds awesome but I don't want a defective unit.

Hi deafYblind, does it happen with PS3 connected to the other remaining HDMI inputs (or swap with sat receiver as well)?
post #9005 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi deafYblind, does it happen with PS3 connected to the other remaining HDMI inputs (or swap with sat receiver as well)?

Thanks for the troubleshooting direction. I'll go try and post back.

ETA: The 1912 is fine I think. I switched the ps3 and sat inputs and the fault follows the PS3. I also tried a third HDMI cable and the same fault persists. And while troubleshooting so physically close to the TV I noticed that there is a faint red snow constant as well as the occasional red horizontal line.

On the PS3 in the display settings I turned "Deep Color Output" to off and it remedied the fault.
post #9006 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
So I had originally been thinking about simply getting the 1712, but a thought occurred to me: would the Denon models 2112 and up, with networking, allow one to control other devices connected to it via an ipad or pc? I know that there are apps for it such as on an iPhone, where you can do simple controls, but is it possible to control, say, a bluray player that is connected to the receiver from an ipad, iPhone, or laptop pc on the same network? If so, that would be a game changer. My original thought process was I'd get something like the 1712 and then get something like Apple TV for airplay, down the road. But perhaps there's more to this whole app control possibility than I originally thought? If so, there would be no need for a universal remote like a logitech Harmony.
post #9007 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
If you are asking whether the Denon receiver can control other devices... The answer is no.

You can control the receiver itself via the network (eg laptop, iPad app). But the network models don't give you additional control over other stuff.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9008 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

I have a ps2...since the 1612 doesn't convert a/v sources through the single hdmi to tv...would it be better to just hook it up to tv and use arc or better to hook it up avr and then avr to tv

Here's the thing - One way or another, you are running another video cable to the tv. So might as well run it direct to display; no point in passing it through the AVR unless you plan on switching other analog video sources.

As to audio - if you ever plan on playing ps2 withe the AVR off, using the tv speakers, then you need to run the audio to the tv too. If you won't, then run the audio direct to the AVR. Again, why pass it though another device if you don't have to?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9009 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Setting Dyn EQ to ON boosts the bass and surround audio at volume levels below 0db which is fine for movie sources which are mixed to a reference level. However, TV and music is not mixed that same way so you can reduce the affect of Dyn EQ (specifically bass boost) when watching TV which will allow for better quality dialog from the center channel. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then simply bump up the center channel volume (using the button on the remote) a few db to suit your preference.

So you suggest turning dynamic EQ off for tv-watching? I should have mentioned low dialogue was a thing for both movies and tv, though moreso for tv. Also, why do you suggest increasing center ch volume as opposed to reference offset? I don't get the difference/effects. Does changing the ch level affect all sources, or each individually? If I turn up the center for tv-watching, will the increased level carry over to my movie input?
post #9010 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Liked: 12
thanks for the quick reply, bat. So I guess I can't really think of a good reason for getting the 2112 or above (besides raw power) because I have streaming capabilities with my bluray, tv, and xbox360 (as a windows media center extender), except for perhaps Airplay, in which case I could always get from Apple TV, were I to buy it. I can't think of another good reason to get anything higher than the 1712. am I missing something here?
post #9011 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

not really the 1712, 1912, and 2112 are the same receiver, just outfitted with different features. If you review the list in post #2 and don't need anything the 2112 offers, then go for it

the biggest features the 2112 offers over the 1712 are:
1) networking (already discussed)
2) analog>HDMI video conversion
3) 3rd year of warranty

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9012 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyweez360 View Post

So you suggest turning dynamic EQ off for tv-watching? I should have mentioned low dialogue was a thing for both movies and tv, though moreso for tv. Also, why do you suggest increasing center ch volume as opposed to reference offset? I don't get the difference/effects. Does changing the ch level affect all sources, or each individually? If I turn up the center for tv-watching, will the increased level carry over to my movie input?

when troubleshooting dialogue issues, the first thing is to see if your center channel is optimized. Can you describe the physical location of the center? often muddy dialogue issues originate from a center that is too low / high, stuffed back in a shelf or cabinet, etc.

changing the center channel volume will change its relative balance compared to all the other speakers, for all content. Audyssey calibrates all your speakers so they are balanced with each other, so adjusting the center volume is the last thing I would try after you'd attempted other measures.

the Dynamic EQ reference offset will basically adjust how "aggressively" Dyn EQ boosts the surround and bass effects, and is memorized by input. Oftentimes the "boosting" that Dyn EQ does can cause the center to be diminished in comparison. Try setting the Ref offset to 10 or 15 for your cable box and 5 for movies. You can read about this more in the Audyssey section of my FAQ, which is good background reading anyway

finally, you can try Dyn Volume, which will control how big the effects get relative to the dialogue. Try it on "evening" mode and see if that works.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9013 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Question: For my Samsung 60", DirecTV box, AppleTV and BluRay player, I have everything plugged into an APC AV Power Conditioner/Battery Backup J25B.

I did not plug my Denon 2112 or Def. Tech PRo Sub 1000 into this APC unit, as I am afraid of drawing too much power from the same plug.

Should I, buy another APC unit, plug it into a different outlet and plug the Denon/Pro Sub into this APC unit?

OR, do I not really need a battery backup for the Denon/ProSub, and just get a surge protector? If so, which surge protector/specifications do you recommend? Does it need to "power condition"?
post #9014 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

just get any old surge protector. I recommend the $15 one at your local hardware store or radio shack.

you certainly don't need battery backup for a subwoofer or receiver, and "power conditioners" are fairly scam-er-ific for consumer home use.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9015 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

when troubleshooting dialogue issues, the first thing is to see if your center channel is optimized. Can you describe the physical location of the center? often muddy dialogue issues originate from a center that is too low / high, stuffed back in a shelf or cabinet, etc.

changing the center channel volume will change its relative balance compared to all the other speakers, for all content. Audyssey calibrates all your speakers so they are balanced with each other, so adjusting the center volume is the last thing I would try after you'd attempted other measures.

the Dynamic EQ reference offset will basically adjust how "aggressively" Dyn EQ boosts the surround and bass effects, and is memorized by input. Oftentimes the "boosting" that Dyn EQ does can cause the center to be diminished in comparison. Try setting the Ref offset to 10 or 15 for your cable box and 5 for movies. You can read about this more in the Audyssey section of my FAQ, which is good background reading anyway

finally, you can try Dyn Volume, which will control how big the effects get relative to the dialogue. Try it on "evening" mode and see if that works.

My center channel is inside an open nitche about 6' off the ground, above my tv. I angled it downward to hit the listening area. I don't really understand the reference offset values numerically. Does a higher value indicate a less "aggressive" surround/bass response? I will try 5 for movies and 10/15 for tv as you mentioned.

Also, will dynamic volume setting be stored independently as well? I ask because I can see it being put to good use with tv, but wonder if it would hurt the impact of movies' audio presentation. Same question for CH level settings.
post #9016 of 19199 Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 PM

Liked: 27
Can anyone with a rhapsody account streaming directly from the denon(CI models) confirm the bitrate they are streaming at? I'm curious. I know that Pandora will only do 128 and the random Denon Radio stations seems to be at 128kbps as well.
post #9017 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 AM

I have some strange issue regarding HDMI inputs on my 1912. The rightmost vertical line of pixels is completly missing on the TV. Looks like the picture is shifted by 1 pixel to the right.

The resolution of the input device (PS3, Mac mini) is 1080p and it is getting delivered to the TV as 1080p with no overscan. When I connect the devices directly to the TV everything is ok. I checked it with two different monitors (Sony 46HX805, DELL S2409W) and different cables.

The picture showing the effect is attached and can be reproduced with other pictures. Can anyone check the issue with his device? I want to know if it is an hardware deffect or a common issue!

post #9018 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hey R2D2

I get the same shift from my PC connected to 1912 which is connected to a 42" LG 42LG450 @1920X1080 60HZ in just scan mode(no overscan). I can not see the right vertical white line. The whole image is shifted to the right.

Looks fine on a Samsung 1920x1080 PC monitor.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #9019 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 AM

I started the firmware update for my AVR3312 (browser menu).
Now my display keeps showing Please wait >>> Update retry No sound or vision but the receiver is accessible via ip (browser) and can be controlled (tuner to another station etc.)
Please help!
UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVED:
1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - a. 1912/2112CI - Simultaneously press the "PRESET CHANNEL 1" and "PRESET CHANNEL 2" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
- b. 2312CI/3312CI - Simultaneously press the "PRESET CHANNEL 1" and "PRESET CHANNEL 3" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.

BUT! In my case ch1-ch2 worked: not the ch1-ch3 combination
post #9020 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 AM

When I hook up my ps3 to the denon 3312 the screen periodically will go black and try to look for the source and then comes back on.
This happens every couple of minutes or so while the receiver is on.

When the receiver is off and I'm using the pass thru feature it happens alot more frequent with a popping sound, screen goes to snow
and then pops back on again.

I have tried a different hdmi cable as well as changing to different hdmi inputs on the back and still the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thx
post #9021 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rabbit View Post

When I hook up my ps3 to the denon 3312 the screen periodically will go black and try to look for the source and then comes back on.
This happens every couple of minutes or so while the receiver is on.

When the receiver is off and I'm using the pass thru feature it happens alot more frequent with a popping sound, screen goes to snow
and then pops back on again.

I have tried a different hdmi cable as well as changing to different hdmi inputs on the back and still the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thx

Try adjusting your display settings of your PS3.

Display Settings

Video Output Settings
Screensaver
Cross Color Reduction Filter
RGB Full Range (HDMI)
Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)
Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI) Set to off.

This is what fixed my problem yesterday.
post #9022 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^^^

You could also try a different hdmi cable to the tv if you haven't already as maybe it is not playing nice with the ps3. You could also try different hdmi inputs on your avr as some react a little differently with different hdmi inputs.

If that doesn't solve your issue try an hdmi reset. Go to page 1 of this forum, post #3, 12 i.
post #9023 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

^^^

You could also try a different hdmi cable to the tv if you haven't already as maybe it is not playing nice with the ps3. You could also try different hdmi inputs on your avr as some react a little differently with different hdmi inputs.

If that doesn't solve your issue try an hdmi reset. Go to page 1 of this forum, post #3, 12 i.

Thx spager, I have tried going directly to the tv with hdmi cable and the problem goes away. I have tried several inputs on the back of the receiver including the one that is controlling the sat receiver (that I have no issues with) and still same problem. I'll try the reset in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafYblind View Post

Try adjusting your display settings of your PS3.

Display Settings

Video Output Settings
Screensaver
Cross Color Reduction Filter
RGB Full Range (HDMI)
Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)
Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI) Set to off.

This is what fixed my problem yesterday.

Thx deafYblind, in will try this before the reset and let u know
post #9024 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rabbit View Post

Thx spager, I have tried going directly to the tv with hdmi cable and the problem goes away.

Yes that was a good testing tool but what I was referring to was swapping out the Hdmi cable from avr Monitor Out to TV, although probably not likely, it may just solve your issue. Worth a try.
post #9025 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

just get any old surge protector. I recommend the $15 one at your local hardware store or radio shack.

you certainly don't need battery backup for a subwoofer or receiver, and "power conditioners" are fairly scam-er-ific for consumer home use.

Great! I wasn't sure if I needed to condition the power going to the unit, or if I needed some sort of backup unit.
post #9026 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Just completed setup of my AVR-1912.

Everything went well. Connected inputs for PS3 and CBL along with speaker setup. Aslo setup connectivity to my WiFi network via a network bridge. No Problems.

But When I switch to internet radio, I can here the default internet radio channel, but I do not see the GUI on my tv. Its like the HDMI output signal from the AVR-1912 to my TV (LG 50PS80) turns off.

Has this happened to anyone?

Appreciate any help.
post #9027 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditrasetman View Post

Great! I wasn't sure if I needed to condition the power going to the unit, or if I needed some sort of backup unit.

I lost a receiver and a big screen TV when the power flickered on and off in 2006. They were just on surge protectors.

Since then all my equipment are on UPS's.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #9028 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Yesterday I was playing an old DVD-RAM recording I made of an SD TV show recorded off cable, and ran into unexpected behavior on my new 2112. For reasons unknown, the recorded show only has sound on the left channel. When I played the DVD through the 2112, I immediately noticed that the right speaker was silent. Might have been a bug with my Panasonic DVD burner that recorded the show, or perhaps the broadcaster and/or cable provider failed to transmit the R channel.

No problem, I thought. I'll just engage "Mono Movie" mode, which I've never used before. Every audio receiver I've had in the past had a 'mono' button that simply summed L+R inputs and fed the resulting monophonic signal to both speakers.

But I discovered that's not how Mono Movie mode works on the 2112. The manual is rather obscure on the feature:
This mode is for playing monaural movie sources with surround sound. When playing sources recorded in monaural in the MONO MOVIE mode, the sound will be off balance with a single channel (left or right), so input to both channels.

After perusing the manual, Batpig's excellent 'translation' of same, and scanning this forum, I've concluded that the 2112 doesn't have a classical 'mono' mode like old audio receivers (other than for FM reception). The only "fix" I've found for my single-channel source is to use Multichannel Stereo mode (which gets the L input into the C speaker), and then use the Channel Level trims to temporarily reduce the LF channel as much as possible (to -12db). That creates a reasonably centered sound field. Have I overlooked a feature somewhere?

Can anyone explain (a) exactly what Mono Movie mode does and (b) when/why someone would want to use it?

Thanks.
post #9029 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Okay -- I've had my 2112ci for about 2 weeks and I'm pleased with the sound, etc..., but I'm about to kill the Remote App. It's. Killing. Me. My latest frustration: I've been getting the dreaded "Connection Failed. Please check the Device." message for about a week. It still permits me to adjust the volume, but that's it. I've followed the tips here about unplugging my network, hard re-starts, etc..., and I still get it. I've uninstalled and re-installed the App and still nothing.

Any thoughts before I throw the thing out the window?!?

All in all, I'm pleased with my purchase. But the AirPlay and remote app could not be less intuitive!
post #9030 of 19199 Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have my 2112 wire connected to my network and have no problem with the remote app and airplay
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page