post #9301 of 19194 Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

first off, as Charles noted that is not what they said. All they said was that it failed the BTB/WTW clipping test, which as you know was a "known" bug with these units.

second, note the date of the review, it's from all the way back in September. The video clipping issue has of course now been fixed by a firmware update and is no longer an issue. So proceed without worry

Hey guys, just a quick question as I am sure the answer is in this thread some where. How do you do a factory reset on a 1712? I got a demo unit from a store in great shape and I am getting zero HDMI plus the settings are all out of whack, and from the looks of it, this is all visual interface, OSD in order to get this unit to work correctly. Well I take that back I got Audio only no Video, my HDMI cords are older, but this unit is used with 2 27" Monitors, a Thunderbolt display and Samsung.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 19194 Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
it may or may not be in the thread but it is DEFINITELY in your manual

if your demo unit didn't come with a CD, you can download a manual (links in the first post). The nice thing about the PDF manual is you can search for text (e.g. "reset") so you can quickly find what you are looking for.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9303 of 19194 Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Fixed it, the morons at the store had it all messed up!

1.) Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.

2.) Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing < > via the iPod dock controls.

3.) Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.
post #9304 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I had the WEIRDEST thing happen tonight with my AVR-3312ci. I turned it on as usual, to HDMI 2 (I think), and I got absolutely no picture. Same with HDMI 3 (I think), but HDMI 4 (I think) worked fine. I'm not exactly sure which inputs, must most of them didn't work and wouldn't pass a signal through. I had the word "DENON" on the screen, but then no picture from my sources WTF? I turned it off and on again and still no picture. Several of the other HDMI inputs still worked, though!

I fixed it, by PULLING THE PLUG OUT of the receiver. When I plugged it back in, all my inputs worked again. What's going on here, does anyone know? (latest firmware, by the way...)

Any ideas on this issue, anyone, please?
post #9305 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^

It sounds like an Hdmi issue. Since it has been working properly and it happens on several inputs it is probably your hdmi cable to your tv. If it happens again here are a few remedies to try.

1. Unplug avr cable to tv on both ends and replug it in making sure it is in securely.

2. Swap out hdmi cable to tv.

3. Try a complete hdmi reset that is on page 1, post 3, no. 12i.

4. Do a microprocessor reset.
post #9306 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBMN1 View Post

One issue I've noticed, that I can't solve. When playing music from my media server, you can also view still photographs. Music sounds great, however the still picture quality is horrible.

I think this is because the connection to the TV is not HD. What am I missing? I have a Samsung BD player that is a media player as well, and when viewing the same pictures from that, no problem.

There is no video chip in the 2112CI so whatever the resolution is when it leaves the media player is what the TV sees.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9307 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I had the WEIRDEST thing happen tonight with my AVR-3312ci. I turned it on as usual, to HDMI 2 (I think), and I got absolutely no picture. Same with HDMI 3 (I think), but HDMI 4 (I think) worked fine. I'm not exactly sure which inputs, must most of them didn't work and wouldn't pass a signal through. I had the word "DENON" on the screen, but then no picture from my sources WTF? I turned it off and on again and still no picture. Several of the other HDMI inputs still worked, though!

I fixed it, by PULLING THE PLUG OUT of the receiver. When I plugged it back in, all my inputs worked again. What's going on here, does anyone know? (latest firmware, by the way...)

Sometimes the AVR processor just hiccups (as does your PC) and requires a soft reset (unplugging for a few minutes). If you find you're having to do it on a regular basis, then do a full microprocessor reset (p. 149).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #9308 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Hey guys, just a quick question as I am sure the answer is in this thread some where. How do you do a factory reset on a 1712? I got a demo unit from a store in great shape and I am getting zero HDMI plus the settings are all out of whack, and from the looks of it, this is all visual interface, OSD in order to get this unit to work correctly. Well I take that back I got Audio only no Video, my HDMI cords are older, but this unit is used with 2 27" Monitors, a Thunderbolt display and Samsung.

Thanks for any help!

In addition to being listed in post #5 of this thread, the reset information is also listed in your 1712 Owner's manual (p. 96). Review posts #3-6 for additional helpful information.

post #9309 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In addition to being listed in post #5 of this thread, the reset information is also listed in your 1712 Owner's manual (p. 96). Review posts #3-6 for additional helpful information.

Per batpig suggestion I read the manual, although the not so bright people I bought the receiver from gave me the 1612 manual which is different. But I found the reset which put everything back in order, and I really like the menu system on this unit, one of the better OSD, similar to my Marantz 7005 which is easy to use.
post #9310 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The reset instructions for both models is the same, although note that every model's Owner's manual can be downloaded from Denon's Download website.

http://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/pa...ionmanual.aspx

post #9311 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
The reset instructions for both models is the same, although note that every model's Owner's manual can be downloaded from Denon's Download website.

http://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/pa...ionmanual.aspx

Thanks, one question for you is in Multi Channel-Stereo, no sub woofer output or setting. Is this usually the case as it would be nice to have. I added the tone controls which allows more bass out of each speaker which helped, using some Micro Gallos with a Sub, and the Gallos of this size
don't have much bass. Sounds pretty darn good so far.

I download the 1712 manual last night, the paperwork I had was just there getting starting guide for the 1612 so this came in handy. Thanks!
post #9312 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As noted on p. 87 in your manual, the sub is active in Mult CH Stereo mode. After running AUTO SETUP, change any speakers the Denon sets to LARGE, to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80hz. With ALL speakers set to SMALL, the sub will be active in most every mode.

post #9313 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM

Liked: 10
I read the stickys but still not sure how to set mine up. I want to listen to music in another room (zone 2) probably from my iphone most of the time but I also have a large network drive with music I would like to listen too. I am only using 5.1 in the main zone so how can I set it up to listen in another room using power from the Denon 2112ci amp. It would be a plus if I could play a the same songs in both zones at once when we have guest over for holiday parties and such. Thanks!!
post #9314 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The factory default setting for AMP ASSIGN is Zone 2, so simply connect the Zone 2 speakers to the SurrBack/Amp Assign speaker posts and turn Zone 2 on. By default the source will be the same source playing in the main zone, although if you want to pass a connected source to the AVR it must also have an analog cable; however, netradio, USB, and Airplay will also pass to Zone 2. See p. 71 in your Owner's manual for more info.

Also note that when using Airplay, the same source MUST be selected on the main zone in order to play in Zone 2, while other sources can play independently to Zone 2 than what is playing in the main zone.

post #9315 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBMN1 View Post

One issue I've noticed, that I can't solve. When playing music from my media server, you can also view still photographs. Music sounds great, however the still picture quality is horrible.

I think this is because the connection to the TV is not HD.
What am I missing? I have a Samsung BD player that is a media player as well, and when viewing the same pictures from that, no problem.

Net/USB resolution is set at 720 x 480 so images will look like crap. Album covers also look pretty bad for the same reason. The low resolution output in Net/USB is my only real criticism of my 2112. This must have been a cost saving decision or to maintain compatibility with older display devices, just a guess. It does take away a bit of the wow factor when showing my system to friends, switching to Net/USB feels like stepping back to 1980
post #9316 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, one question for you is in Multi Channel-Stereo, no sub woofer output or setting. Is this usually the case as it would be nice to have.

Multich Stereo's bass management is based on the settings for the main speakers (since that stereo signal gets copied to all speakers), so you need to make sure the Front L/R speakers are SMALL if you want the sub to play.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9317 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:

^^
if you want to pass a connected source to the AVR it must also have an analog cable;

Also note that when using Airplay, the same source MUST be selected on the main zone in order to play in Zone 2, while other sources can play independently to Zone 2 than what is playing in the main zone.

OK if I play a music file on my ps3 or HTPC the audio will not pass to zone 2 since they are connected via HDMI correct?

Connected as you mentioned I can use airplay to listen to music in zone 2 while someone else is watching a movie or did I misunderstand what your saying in thelast part of your comment?

Thanks for the help the manual is a bit fuzzy IMHO.
post #9318 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct. So in addition to the HDMI cable, also connect an analog cable from the PS3 and HTPC if you want the audio to go to Zone 2. Airplay is limited in that whatever source is playing in Zone 2 must also being selected in the main zone as well (ie. no independent Zone 2 when using Airplay).

post #9319 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

The Cinema mode, as you would expect, is intended for movie/film/tv sources. The way it "mixes" the sound is fixed, as it assumes you want dialogue and other center-focused sounds to go to the center channel, and ambient sound to go to the surrounds.

Interesting. I was unfamiliar with this feature. It seems like something the processing would do automatically when DTS-MA or the like are in effect

I'm also still trying to get used to how high up you have to turn the volume on the Denon when watching a blu-ray source. It seems strange to have to crank the volume to -15db or so at times, depending on the movie.
post #9320 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo83 View Post

Interesting. I was unfamiliar with this feature. It seems like something the processing would do automatically when DTS-MA or the like are in effect

It has nothing to do with DTS-MA or any other multich content. DTS Neo and Dolby PLII are used to up mix a 2ch source.

If the content is natively multich then a mixer had already decided what content goes in each channel. That's not true however when you are trying to play back a 2ch source on a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9321 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Multich Stereo's bass management is based on the settings for the main speakers (since that stereo signal gets copied to all speakers), so you need to make sure the Front L/R speakers are SMALL if you want the sub to play.

Thanks for the info, as I set the speakers to small and then I calibrated the system using the Audyssey Mic. Since I sit close while I work on 2 large computer monitors, this really made the system come to life. Very impressed with sound so far, this unit is good for small to medium size rooms as it has some decent power. This unit sounds too good to use with my sound bar, so my Yamaha 667 is going to be used for that task.
post #9322 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks for the info, as I set the speakers to small and then I calibrated the system using the Audyssey Mic.

Note that AUTO SETUP ignores any settings you make prior to using it. Rather you must set any speakers to SMALL "after" using AUTO SETUP.

post #9323 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM

I've just updated the firmware in my brand-new AVR-2112. I checked the version numbers before and after the update so I could see what had changed. For those interested in such things, here are the current rev numbers.

Code:
Module             From factory     After update (20 Feb 2012)
Firmware           ver 0001         ver 1004   
Main               0078025          01150034
Main FBL           00.16            00.16
DSP                64.19            64.22
Audio PLD          06.02            06.04
OSD                49110018         49110022
More information on the firmware can be found here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20422390
post #9324 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Note that AUTO SETUP ignores any settings you make prior to using it. Rather you must set any speakers to SMALL "after" using AUTO SETUP.

jdsmoothie: Yup, figured that out right way, all sounds very good right now. Especially after running the Mic Calibration test.
post #9325 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On my SUB, I have 2 settings Phase (0 or 180) and BASS Boost (0, +6 and +12db). I know I need to have Phase at 0 before doing AUTO SETUP. What should I set for BASS Boost? Can I change BASS boost after AUTO SETUP, if I feel BASS is less and will it have any effect on Audyssey?
post #9326 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

JD, thanks for your help the past two days. Now all of my hdmi devices aren't negotiating with the 2312. Think its fair to give the Denon another chance and return the one I purchased.

I found a solution to the "bass too loud" issue. There is a lpf frequency volume setting that looks like I can tweak while keeping audyssey active.
post #9327 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

^

It sounds like an Hdmi issue. Since it has been working properly and it happens on several inputs it is probably your hdmi cable to your tv. If it happens again here are a few remedies to try.

1. Unplug avr cable to tv on both ends and replug it in making sure it is in securely.

2. Swap out hdmi cable to tv.

3. Try a complete hdmi reset that is on page 1, post 3, no. 12i.

4. Do a microprocessor reset.

After I unplugged the receiver from the power and plugged it back in everything was fine. Weird... ;(

Quote:

Sometimes the AVR processor just hiccups (as does your PC) and requires a soft reset (unplugging for a few minutes). If you find you're having to do it on a regular basis, then do a full microprocessor reset (p. 149).

This is most certainly the first receiver I've had that needed unplugging. All my previous receivers have been Onkyos. Hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence. Thanks!
post #9328 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post

On my SUB, I have 2 settings Phase (0 or 180) and BASS Boost (0, +6 and +12db). I know I need to have Phase at 0 before doing AUTO SETUP. What should I set for BASS Boost? Can I change BASS boost after AUTO SETUP, if I feel BASS is less and will it have any effect on Audyssey?

Leave the BASS boost setting at 0 as the AVR is doing the bass management. After AUTO SETUP, use the remote control button to boost the sub level if desired.

post #9329 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

JD, thanks for your help the past two days. Now all of my hdmi devices aren't negotiating with the 2312. Think its fair to give the Denon another chance and return the one I purchased.

I found a solution to the "bass too loud" issue. There is a lpf frequency volume setting that looks like I can tweak while keeping audyssey active.

If you are referring to the LPF for LFE setting, that should be left at the factory default setting of 120hz. If resetting the microprocessor doesn't resolve the issue, then exchange it.

post #9330 of 19194 Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Leave the BASS boost setting at 0 as the AVR is doing the bass management. After AUTO SETUP, use the remote control button to boost the sub level if desired.

So, are you saying increasing BASS boost on the SUB and increasing from AVR will give me same results?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page