post #9391 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

As tempting as Onkyo/Integra units are due to the better video processing over current gen Denons, I wouldn't go near either brand because of this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...339186&page=43

Given the apparent higher risk and lost time/aggrevation for dealing with unit failures and finickiness, I'd stay with Denon, even if you had to spend a few hundred dollars more as a result for the higher end Denon. I'm saying this as a former owner of a flagship Denon for almost nine years, and all things being equal, the very fact that a brand has a non-trivlal "failure" thread speaks for itself. You may sleep better in the long run.

I would agree Denon's stands by their products which is refreshing while other companies are worried more about their profit line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Thanks everyone for chime in answering my question. Make me want to try the 4311 to see what the XT32 hype is all about. Unfortunately, i do not know if there is a local dealer selling it to try out. Really how much better can it get? The 2312 sounds better than my Lexicon MC1 pre-amp that i paid over $4k 10 yrs ago. Technology always gets better and more affordable, i guest. I just do not want to deal with the point of diminishing return, you know what i mean?
post #9393 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Thanks everyone for chime in answering my question. Make me want to try the 4311 to see what the XT32 hype is all about. Unfortunately, i do not know if there is a local dealer selling it to try out. Really how much better can it get? The 2312 sounds better than my Lexicon MC1 pre-amp that i paid over $4k 10 yrs ago. Technology always gets better and more affordable, i guest. I just do not want to deal with the point of diminishing return, you know what i mean?

Chris, you're on

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #9394 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

lol...

tvoung, ime, in my room*, with my speakers/subs, the difference between xt and xt32 is not insignificant...

* which does have some acoustical treatment, but is FAR from perfect...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9395 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought a 1712, did the whole Audyssey setup and my center channel speaker is getting voices but also everything else and it does not sound right. Is there a setting I use to make sure voices only come out of the center channel? I have a 5.1 system..
post #9396 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

^

Not the way it works. All content is mixed with the Tv and Movie Studios allocating to different degrees which content gets to that speaker. So although dialogue is the main force to the center it is not totally dialogue.
post #9397 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Should I turn it down because it seems like it is stronger than my front speakers? My front speakers are at +2.5 and center is +3.5. The reason I ask is it seems like voices get overpowered by the other sounds.
post #9398 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Listen to it for awhile to get use it and if after it seems to strong then turn it down a few db.
post #9399 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooder View Post

Should I turn it down because it seems like it is stronger than my front speakers? My front speakers are at +2.5 and center is +3.5. The reason I ask is it seems like voices get overpowered by the other sounds.

If this is primarily with cable/sat box audio, then set the Reference Level Offset setting for that input to 10db. You can also simply bump up the center channel volume a few db as well using the button on the remote.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9400 of 19339 Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If this is primarily with cable/sat box audio, then set the Reference Level Offset setting for that input to 10db. You can also simply bump up the center channel volume a few db as well using the button on the remote.

This mainly happens when watching movies, for instance, I was testing watching Super 8 when the train crashes, I could barely hear the voices through the crashes. I had a avr-790 and don't remember it sounding like this.
post #9401 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

The manuals for at least some of the xx12 Denons list three different dynamic range compression (i.e. volume levelling) features; "DRC," "D.Comp," and "Audyssey Dynamic Volume."

Are these three different "versions" of the same feature? I'm unclear how these interrelate, and in what situations would you'd use one instead of another.

Thanks for clearing this up for me,

Larry
post #9402 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 AM
585-645-1006

^^
DRC (Dolby TrueHD only) and D.Comp (standard DD/DTS only) are legacy DD/DTS features that Denon has carried for many years, and although similar to Audyssey Dyn Volume, Dyn Volume should be far superior likely better used instead of the former two modes, especially as it can be used with any audio track.
SanchoPanza likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9403 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Hello all. Please forgive me for asking this question if it has already been answered. I searched for an answer but could not find the results I was looking for.

Anyway I have a Denon AVR-1912 to which I have my AT&T Uverse receiver connected to through HDMI. I've set the settings to HDMI pass though so that I'm able to watch TV without the Denon turned out. However, this doesn't always work. Sometimes I am able to turn my Uverse receiver on and watch TV, at other times I get a No-Signal message from my TV.

The only way to resolve this is to turn the Denon on, let it find the signal, then turn it back off. Only then will the signal reach the TV from my Uverse receiver.

Also, I noticed that the last source selected (TV vs. NET/USB) on the Denon doesn't appear to have any influence on when I get this problem. I've also applied the latest firmware update but it didnt address the issue.

Any advise on how to fix this?

Thanks.
post #9404 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Cable boxes often have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs ... you may be better served simply connecting the ATT (HDMI) directly to the TV with ATT(optical) to the AVR which will provide the same results.

post #9405 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Ok this hopefully an easy problem but my 2112 has been acting up and multeq et won't come on. I reran it last night, which by the way made it worst. It was back on last night now when I go to it, it says multeq et off with no way to turn it on. What's going on?
post #9406 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
585-645-1006

^^
There could be a memory problem ... try resetting the microprocessor (p. 129) and see if that resolves the issue. Make sure the AUTO SETUP completes successfully after selecting STORE and you see the "Storing is complete" message.

post #9407 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Ok I figured how to store it if it does it again then I try the reset. Now though when I hit net/USB the signal doesn't work. Never did it before have to turn it off and back on to fix it Argh!!!! Hahaha
post #9408 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Hey all,

Just posted in the AVR-889 thread for a problem I'm having with that unit. While that's getting resolved I have a 2312CI that just started acting up on me as well. It's been fine for three months, but over the weekend I swapped the receivers. When I swapped back the 2312CI started doing something really weird.

Basically, when I turn it on, the power light flashes green for a few seconds while the unit powers up, then there's a click and the light goes solid green and the unit is operational. This is as normal.

But then, 10-12 seconds later, there's another click, the unit's display blanks, and the power light starts flashing green again. Once more, it clicks, the light goes solid green, and the unit is up.

This repeats endlessly until I shut off the power.

Doing some diagnosis, last night I reset the microprocessor, which didn't resolve the problem. Then I unplugged all the connections from the back, which didn't resolve the problem. Then moved the unit itself to a number of different power outlets, which didn't resolve the problem.

Finally, I left the unit unplugged for about 10 minutes. Once I plugged it back in, the issue was gone.

That lasted for about 24 hours, and now it's back.

Any thoughts? Did the power supply on this unit just go or something? I called Denon support today to ask if they've seen this problem at all. Let's just say they were not very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help...
post #9409 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapkaplet View Post

Hey all,

Just posted in the AVR-889 thread for a problem I'm having with that unit. While that's getting resolved I have a 2312CI that just started acting up on me as well. It's been fine for three months, but over the weekend I swapped the receivers. When I swapped back the 2312CI started doing something really weird.

Basically, when I turn it on, the power light flashes green for a few seconds while the unit powers up, then there's a click and the light goes solid green and the unit is operational. This is as normal.

But then, 10-12 seconds later, there's another click, the unit's display blanks, and the power light starts flashing green again. Once more, it clicks, the light goes solid green, and the unit is up.

This repeats endlessly until I shut off the power.

Doing some diagnosis, last night I reset the microprocessor, which didn't resolve the problem. Then I unplugged all the connections from the back, which didn't resolve the problem. Then moved the unit itself to a number of different power outlets, which didn't resolve the problem.

Finally, I left the unit unplugged for about 10 minutes. Once I plugged it back in, the issue was gone.

That lasted for about 24 hours, and now it's back.

Any thoughts? Did the power supply on this unit just go or something? I called Denon support today to ask if they've seen this problem at all. Let's just say they were not very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help...

You could try a couple more micro reset and leaving it unplugged overnight but if you are sure that power wasn't interrupted when powered button went hairy I would send it in for service before a short or what ever, that cause the problem, causes damage to a component or speaker.

EDIT: When testing the other outlets were you using a power bar that may be faulty?
Also my power cord fits loosely into the avr so double check it is in securely.
post #9410 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM

I have an AVR-2112 with Klipsch 25-series speakers. I don't understand why this would be, but TV shows sound much better when I choose multichannel stereo as opposed to pure DD. Strangely, commercials in DD sound pretty good. The problem is with the dialog in TV shows, especially those with a lot of background noise. The dialog sounds a little muffled and I have to turn it up louder than I am comfortable with to understand what's being said. Even then, sometimes it's difficult.

I recently replaced the tweeter in my center channel (RC-25) and it sounds better, but multichannel stereo still produces a much more pleasing sound.

Is it just me? Maybe I just don't like DD?

Does the multichannel stereo setting "adulterate" the Dolby source material? Are there sounds that are dropped when you choose this format, or does it keep all the surround effects and simply add center channel data to the other four speakers?
post #9411 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

I ended up returning my newly purchased Denon 2312 to Denon. It took 3 days of troubleshooting HDMI Handshake issues to obtain a "Return label" from Denon. The replacement will come in less than 2 weeks.

Accessories4less has been terrible to work with and I'll never order from there again. Through clever wording, they tried to shuck support to Denon just to avoid spending money on handling the return. They sold me the defective item and should have made it right.

Next time I'll spend more and purchase the item from a big box store.
post #9412 of 19339 Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 PM

Noob Here,

Just got my 1912, and I want to plug my ExternalHDD into the usb port, I am wondering what format my HDD needs to be for my Denon to recognize it. Currently it is Mac OS Extended. Im thinking Fat 32?
post #9413 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As noted on p. 42 in your Owner's manual ... files must be in FAT16 or FAT32 formate.

post #9414 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwheelr View Post

I have an AVR-2112 with Klipsch 25-series speakers. I don't understand why this would be, but TV shows sound much better when I choose multichannel stereo as opposed to pure DD. Strangely, commercials in DD sound pretty good. The problem is with the dialog in TV shows, especially those with a lot of background noise. The dialog sounds a little muffled and I have to turn it up louder than I am comfortable with to understand what's being said. Even then, sometimes it's difficult.

I recently replaced the tweeter in my center channel (RC-25) and it sounds better, but multichannel stereo still produces a much more pleasing sound.

Does the multichannel stereo setting "adulterate" the Dolby source material? Are there sounds that are dropped when you choose this format, or does it keep all the surround effects and simply add center channel data to the other four speakers?

Try setting the Reference Level Offset to 10db for your cable/sat box source which should improve the center channel dialog (also referenced in post #3 item 12(f) in the Troubleshooting section linked in my sig). You can also simply bump up the center channel volume a few db using the remote control button.

Multi Channel stereo simply replicates the FL/FR stereo to the other surround speakers, which is generally what folks with hearing problems prefer as it places the dialog much closer to their ears via the "side" surround speakers, however, you do of course lose the surround effect of DD 5.1 by doing so.

post #9415 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 06:15 AM

In my new 2312CI, I had the video mode in the input setup set to Auto which toggles between Game and Movie. I used to see inconsistent picture quality in Sharp 60" LED. I am mentioning the size of the TV because the bigger it is the more easily i see the difference of signal quality. some times pixel trails in fast moving scenes or if camera pans little too fast.

After reading the manual yesterday i set it to Movie(Normal) instead of Auto and the picture all of a sudden seems to be remarkably good. No more trails the color depth is perfect and so is the sharpness.

I don't have any games hooked up now and if i did i will change the video signal appropriately.

This was very annoying when it was in Auto as every day i switch on the receiver and the TV I had to bank on my luck to see how good the picture will be today. Switching off and unplugging power, nothing resolved this.

Bottom line Denon processors does not seem to recogonize video signals consistently and render output accordingly.

Audio is awesome, perfect.....

Experts please correct me if i am wrong...You guys are awesome and very helpfull.
post #9416 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also prefer multichannel stereo and use Dolby only when I watch a movie with lots of sound effects with Tv. It lets me hear the dialogue a lot better without having to turn up the volume although my seating position is nearly 20ft. from my front and center speakers.
post #9417 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Nevermind, I performed the Microprocessor reset the moment I unboxed the receiver.

The setting that I think would lower the LFE bass levels (ie: the BOOOOM!) is:

Audio Adjust> LFE
Adjust the low-frequency
effects level (LFE).
-10dB - 0dB
For proper playback of the different sources, we recommend setting
to the values below.
Dolby Digital sources : 0dB
DTS movie sources : 0dB
DTS music sources : -10dB

This setting would reduce the split boom level correct?
I need a way to keep audyssey eq, keep dynamic vol on light, and roll off/reduce bass for those loud explosions.
post #9418 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try setting the Reference Level Offset to 10db for your cable/sat box source which should improve the center channel dialog (also referenced in post #3 item 12(f) in the Troubleshooting section linked in my sig). You can also simply bump up the center channel volume a few db using the remote control button.

Multi Channel stereo simply replicates the FL/FR stereo to the other surround speakers, which is generally what folks with hearing problems prefer as it places the dialog much closer to their ears via the "side" surround speakers, however, you do of course lose the surround effect of DD 5.1 by doing so.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

However, you statement about multichannel stereo differs from my experience. If turn my surround speakers completely off it still sounds better than DD; it actually seems to change the sound coming from the center channel (seems to be less bass). Does this make any sense?
post #9419 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

I ended up returning my newly purchased Denon 2312 to Denon. It took 3 days of troubleshooting HDMI Handshake issues to obtain a "Return label" from Denon. The replacement will come in less than 2 weeks.

Accessories4less has been terrible to work with and I'll never order from there again. Through clever wording, they tried to shuck support to Denon just to avoid spending money on handling the return. They sold me the defective item and should have made it right.

Next time I'll spend more and purchase the item from a big box store.

I spoke with the owner of Accessories4Less this morning. He indicated that as of a month ago, Denon has now changed their policy on how returns are handled and that going forward Denon would handle the returns of refurb units directly. Denon indicated that as many as 80% of "defective" units being returned to them actually had no issues whatsoever and they want to get more involved with troubleshooting with the customer before the unit is returned. So this is an instance where "don't shoot the messenger" applies. Otherwise, Accessories4Less has a great customer service reputation.

post #9420 of 19339 Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

However, you statement about multichannel stereo differs from my experience. If turn my surround speakers completely off it still sounds better than DD; it actually seems to change the sound coming from the center channel (seems to be less bass). Does this make any sense?

Yes .. in DD 5.1 the center is getting a dedicated "center channel" signal while in multi channel stereo mode it's getting a mix of the FL/FR speakers channels.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page