The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 323 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9661 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Member
 
wjbertrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When looking at my Audysey settings there seems to only manual and off as choices. I don't see any indication on my 2112ci that Audysey is engaged. I think it's supposed to show something like auto or XTEQ or something? Do I need to restore from back up?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
Panasonic TC-P60S60, Denon 2112ci, Panasonic DMP-BD86, Polk PSW-10 sub, Klipsch flool standing (front) and surround speakers, speaker factory kit center speaker, Toshiba DVD-VHS dubbing player/recorder, Apple TV, Sony turntable, Direct TV DVR
wjbertrand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9662 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Newbie
 
poochpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion JD. I tried resetting the remote, but it didn't help. For those of you with a 1912 remote, is it normal for your "M" light to flash about 7 times when you press, for example, the volume buttons? Thanks.
Mike
poochpa is offline  
post #9663 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post

When looking at my Audysey settings there seems to only manual and off as choices. I don't see any indication on my 2112ci that Audysey is engaged. I think it's supposed to show something like auto or XTEQ or something? Do I need to restore from back up?

If the only choices are OFF and MANUAL then there is no Audyssey calibration saved. Either run Audyssey or restore from a saved config file.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #9664 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Member
 
phoreverphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. Just wanted to say this is a great forum, I've never seem so many individuals willing to help so many newbies.

In that regard, I seek some guidance . I have refurb 1712 that did not come with the remote control. I had a couple universal remotes laying around, so it didn't bother me much at the time. After programming, the remotes work for basic commands, but are lacking when I need to do other things. For example, going to the previous screen while in the menu gui.

My question is, do you guys recommend buying a replacement Denon remote or is there a universal remote that is recommended that'll have most of the commands I need to perform more advanced maneuvers? Also, what are the best prices for each (original or universal, whichever is recommended)?
phoreverphantom is offline  
post #9665 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochpa View Post

Thanks for the suggestion JD. I tried resetting the remote, but it didn't help. For those of you with a 1912 remote, is it normal for your "M" light to flash about 7 times when you press, for example, the volume buttons? Thanks.
Mike

My 1912 remote only flashes M once with each keypress.
Maybe the batteries are dead?
Check for a stuck button too.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD 1090T, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB , EVGA GT-640 4GB, 3840x2160@60Hz HDMI 1.4, AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
doctorwizz is offline  
post #9666 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
IowaYankees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all-
I am having issues with the Denon 1912 and it seeing the media server. My PC identifies the Denon on my network, I have sharing checked off but anm dumbfounded as to why when I try to play anything it says the media server is 'empty'. It can play internet radio just fine. I must not be doing somethinig correctly but not sure what it is. Can anyone direct me to a simple set-up on the net or share with me another step?
IowaYankees is offline  
post #9667 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
candy76man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Vairico,FL USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently got a refurb denon 1912 (to replace my onkyo606 due to the hdmi daughter board failing) and am very happy with it except for one annoyance.... The volume control..... If I hold down the volume button it goes up or down way to fast and always overshoots the volume level I want by a good margin, but hitting the volume button repeatedly to go one notch at a time is way too slow. I am using a harmony one remote but the volume "speed" is the same when using the factory remote.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to change it aside from denon possibly doing something about it in a firmware update?

thanks!
candy76man is offline  
post #9668 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post

I recently got a refurb denon 1912 (to replace my onkyo606 due to the hdmi daughter board failing) and am very happy with it except for one annoyance.... The volume control..... If I hold down the volume button it goes up or down way to fast and always overshoots the volume level I want by a good margin, but hitting the volume button repeatedly to go one notch at a time is way too slow. I am using a harmony one remote but the volume "speed" is the same when using the factory remote.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to change it aside from denon possibly doing something about it in a firmware update?

thanks!

Same here on my 1912. I'm pretty sure it is normal. It is like acceleration.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD 1090T, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB , EVGA GT-640 4GB, 3840x2160@60Hz HDMI 1.4, AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
doctorwizz is offline  
post #9669 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
candy76man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Vairico,FL USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

Same here on my 1912. I'm pretty sure it is normal. It is like acceleration.


Yeah, exactly...but it accelerates way too fast and I always end up way too loud or way to quite if I hold down the volume button, but to get where you want without holding the button down you have to hit the volume button 10 plus times to make a significant change in volume which is tedious at best
candy76man is offline  
post #9670 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoreverphantom View Post

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say this is a great forum, I've never seem so many individuals willing to help so many newbies.

In that regard, I seek some guidance . I have refurb 1712 that did not come with the remote control. I had a couple universal remotes laying around, so it didn't bother me much at the time. After programming, the remotes work for basic commands, but are lacking when I need to do other things. For example, going to the previous screen while in the menu gui.

My question is, do you guys recommend buying a replacement Denon remote or is there a universal remote that is recommended that'll have most of the commands I need to perform more advanced maneuvers? Also, what are the best prices for each (original or universal, whichever is recommended)?

Get the Harmony 650 for $50 that does everything Denon remote does plus lots more.
tvuong is offline  
post #9671 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Newbie
 
pbets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up the 1312BA package and being very new to the wonderful world of receivers I am not clear on a few of the receivers settings. Please feel free to laugh as I really am guessing as this thing has no auto setup ..advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Speaker Setup>Bass Settings>LFE
* I've set this to 150Hz based on the Boston Acoustics MCS 160 manual recommendation for subwoofer crossover value.

2) Speaker Setup>Crossover Frequency>Front/Center/Surround
* I set all these to 120Hz based on the speakers specs for frequency response being 120Hz-20kHz

3) Speaker Setup>Channel Level>Test Tone Start
* I used a dB meter app on my phone(lol) to get a ballpark and tried to match values from the ideal seating position.

pbets is offline  
post #9672 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ShapS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post


Yeah, exactly...but it accelerates way too fast and I always end up way too loud or way to quite if I hold down the volume button, but to get where you want without holding the button down you have to hit the volume button 10 plus times to make a significant change in volume which is tedious at best

Apparently, they don't listen to their customers cause this has been a complaint for years. I absolutely hate it. I've had my unit for a good while now and hate the volume control just as much as day one.

No idea how they think this method of acceleration is a good thing.
ShapS is offline  
post #9673 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Denon volume controls have worked this way for years and years. It's actually very easy and useful once you adapt to it. Just learn, don't fight it

think of it like a 2-speed gear.... if you hold it down it goes *fast*, for gross changes... if you tap-tap-tap, it goes slow, for fine tuning. The key is to get the "feel" so that you don't hold down the volume button for too long. It takes a split second to shift into high gear, so if you press it, go "hmmm, nothing's happening" and then keep mashing it, you will overshoot. But that's because you are holding too long, you have to anticipate the change and release a little quicker. If you get the feel, it's very easy to quickly make a big jump to get in the ballpark of where you want to go, and then tap-tap-tap to fine tune if perfectly.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #9674 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbets View Post

Just picked up the 1312BA package and being very new to the wonderful world of receivers I am not clear on a few of the receivers settings. Please feel free to laugh as I really am guessing as this thing has no auto setup ..advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Speaker Setup>Bass Settings>LFE
* I've set this to 150Hz based on the Boston Acoustics MCS 160 manual recommendation for subwoofer crossover value.

2) Speaker Setup>Crossover Frequency>Front/Center/Surround
* I set all these to 120Hz based on the speakers specs for frequency response being 120Hz-20kHz

3) Speaker Setup>Channel Level>Test Tone Start
* I used a dB meter app on my phone(lol) to get a ballpark and tried to match values from the ideal seating position.


since the 1312 model doesn't have Auto Setup, you have to do this stuff manually. You are basically on the right track, honestly. The only thing you should do is lower the LFE low pass (LPF) down to 120Hz. It is NOT a crossover, the crossover is the thing you set in (2) above.

you should check out my website and read through the setup guide and FAQ. I discuss proper manual setup so even though you don't have Audyssey you should learn a lot.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #9675 of 19112 Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Senior Member
 
ReSultZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By using the HDMI as a video pass-through is there a way to have the AVR NOT mess with my tv's video settings IE color etc?


Also when using pandora I can't seem to be able to see the settings on my TV screen, but can see them on the AVR.

I'm using the 3312IC
ReSultZ is offline  
post #9676 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post

By using the HDMI as a video pass-through is there a way to have the AVR NOT mess with my tv's video settings IE color etc?


Also when using pandora I can't seem to be able to see the settings on my TV screen, but can see them on the AVR.

I'm using the 3312IC

I have a 1912 and I can only see the Network settings and internet radio menu etc when the source input is set to an analogue input.

I do see some information that comes up via HDMI input source, but for some reason I can't see the network stuff.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #9677 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundofMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Should I just keep the avr in stereo mode for music? Can anyone suggest dts: neo or anything for iPod music?

I suggest you try both Neo:6 Music and DolbyPLIIx Music to see which you prefer. Neo:6 emphasizes the front soundstage with sparing use of surrounds for ambiance; I also like its balance of CC to FR/L. Restorer HQ improves compressed files including adding some dynamics back in. Of course for all music, unless you actually want to compress the dynamic range, keep DVol off. For ex., MultiCh Stereo works well with DVol on Midnight for dinnerparty background music-it keeps it audible but never too loud. MultiCh Stereo also works for party dance music with DVol off, if you have decent surrounds and crank it up it simulates a disco, but without all the artificial reverb of some of the other DSP modes.

On the other hand, for critical listening of high quality music sources I listen in native format. Music that is mixed MC is cool in the HT.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

SoundofMind is offline  
post #9678 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Member
 
lopro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 1912 US version.

I'm getting very intermittent results with my AirPlay. Sometimes my iTunes just doesn't see the Denon. Othertimes it works great and will even power on my Denon when I play a song from my laptop via iTunes.

Is anybody else getting this intermittent problem with AirPlay? What is it and how can it easily be resolved? Maybe it has something to do with switching networks between home and office? Even when I reboot my laptop and restart my router (1st gen. Apple Time Capsule), I still don't see AirPlay.

It always inevitably occurs whenever I have guests and want to just play some music from the laptop very quickly. Then I'm stuck with Pandora or the FM tuner which pretty much rocks...I mean sucks.
lopro is offline  
post #9679 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Member
 
wjbertrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If the only choices are OFF and MANUAL then there is no Audyssey calibration saved. Either run Audyssey or restore from a saved config file.

OK thanks, wonder where the settings went?? I tried loading the config.bat file I'd saved, but the receiver hung at "loading" for over 30 minutes so. I gave up on that and re-ran the Audyssey set up all over again. Got the expected sound back again!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
Panasonic TC-P60S60, Denon 2112ci, Panasonic DMP-BD86, Polk PSW-10 sub, Klipsch flool standing (front) and surround speakers, speaker factory kit center speaker, Toshiba DVD-VHS dubbing player/recorder, Apple TV, Sony turntable, Direct TV DVR
wjbertrand is offline  
post #9680 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Member
 
mccafjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopro View Post

I have the 1912 US version.

I'm getting very intermittent results with my AirPlay. Sometimes my iTunes just doesn't see the Denon. Othertimes it works great and will even power on my Denon when I play a song from my laptop via iTunes.

Is anybody else getting this intermittent problem with AirPlay? What is it and how can it easily be resolved? Maybe it has something to do with switching networks between home and office? Even when I reboot my laptop and restart my router (1st gen. Apple Time Capsule), I still don't see AirPlay.

It always inevitably occurs whenever I have guests and want to just play some music from the laptop very quickly. Then I'm stuck with Pandora or the FM tuner which pretty much rocks...I mean sucks.

How is your Denon connected to the LAN?
I can't offer any advice about resetting the processor, but my set up has been working very well and has only dropped out once in 6 weeks.

I use an AirPort Express "N" set to extend the network. My 1912 is plugged directly into the ethernet port on the APEx. As the crow flys it is about 50' from my Airport Extreme through several walls in a condo with neighbors on either side. (sans interference issues). I can see my Denon from any computer, iPhone, or iPad in the building.

My only suggestion would be to look at how you are connected to your LAN and troubleshoot from there.

Denon 1912
Polk audio in a 6.1
Samsung 55"
mccafjohn is offline  
post #9681 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Benny42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post

The volume control..... If I hold down the volume button it goes up or down way to fast and always overshoots the volume level I want by a good margin, but hitting the volume button repeatedly to go one notch at a time is way too slow. I am using a harmony one remote but the volume "speed" is the same when using the factory remote.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to change it aside from denon possibly doing something about it in a firmware update?

What the others wrote, but:

First of all your Harmony isn't at the same speed as the Denon remote. It actually lags, meaning there is a noticeable time span between pressing the button and sending out the IR signals. Compare it with your Denon remote (or any other "primitive" remote) by pointing the remote at a point&shoot camera to make the IR signals visible!
You can set the key delay to 0 ms in the Harmony setup but you will still have some overhead resulting in lag (even with the most recent Harmony firmware).

Secondly, the Harmony buffers each button press and if you keep a button pressed down it - of course - repeats. This is actually a good and necessary feature but when combined with the lag may require you to learn the right timing as you will otherwise overshoot the volume setting.

There are several solutions to your dilemma:
- Logitech changes the Harmony One firmware (very unlikely as it is pretty old already and Logitech never admitted to this problem, but perhaps there will be a faster One successor some day? I would pay for this...)
- Denon changing their volume controle behaviour (not likely, especially with current models)
- You adapt to the "optimal timing" (most likely ;-))

bye
Benny
Benny42 is offline  
post #9682 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Newbie
 
dkushner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopro View Post

I have the 1912 US version.

I'm getting very intermittent results with my AirPlay. Sometimes my iTunes just doesn't see the Denon. Othertimes it works great and will even power on my Denon when I play a song from my laptop via iTunes.

Is anybody else getting this intermittent problem with AirPlay? What is it and how can it easily be resolved? Maybe it has something to do with switching networks between home and office? Even when I reboot my laptop and restart my router (1st gen. Apple Time Capsule), I still don't see AirPlay.

It always inevitably occurs whenever I have guests and want to just play some music from the laptop very quickly. Then I'm stuck with Pandora or the FM tuner which pretty much rocks...I mean sucks.

My brand new 2312CI has the same buggy and unreliable behavior with Airplay, and most of the functions in the Net/USB input. I experience lags, and just plain buggy behavior in general. Pandora freezes, button presses are often unresponsive or return you to the incorrect area. I'm convinced that quality control in this area leaves much to be desired.

I happen to be the software testing manager for a software company and have significant troubleshooting experience in general so maybe I'm sensitive to defects and unreliable behavior. This is my first Denon purchase and overall I'm disappointed with Denon's quality control. Many companies lack in this area and I was hoping a brand like Denon would be better than what I've personally experienced.
dkushner is offline  
post #9683 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Member
 
johnwjames5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwjames5 View Post

I have a 2112CI that I think might have taken it in the shorts. I'd done some reading here and had decided to use the HDMI standby pass-through for the cable DVR, ran the cables right, got it working (in a manner of speaking), and then found two oddities. One was that I could never set the default HDMI port for the HDMI Control option while using the web-based forms: I'd select it, and it would always bounce back to Last. The second oddity was that as soon as I turned this option on, I found that the AirPlay would play fine - once. As soon as I paused output from iTunes, any attempt to restart playing, or play another day, etc would give a message in iTunes that the remote device was in use, and the only way I could clear this error was to unplug the Denon and plug it back in after a few secs.

I was going to reset the microprocessor tomorrow when I felt like it, but tonight I turned things on to watch a movie, and the settings were odd and I couldn't get sound out of the unit. I decided now was the time, and since resetting it, I get stuck in the Setup Wizard menu, told to press Enter to start, and the unit does not respond to Enter or most of the rest of things pressed on the remote. Yes, I'm on the right zone, and I can turn the unit on and off from the remote, but I can't do anything else to drive through setup.

Any other ideas to see if this unit can be resurrected without sending it back for servicing?

Not that I seem to understand a lot else about this device, but before taking it to an authorized service center today, I decided to just poke on things one more time. Letting the unit sit for a couple of days seems to have changed something, and today the unit responds to commands from the remote. Rather than go through and set everything up again, I thought maybe I'd try reloading the config.dat file I'd saved a day before everything went to hell. One thing that is not clear from the instructions or anyplace I can seemingly find is whether or not the unit should be on or in standby mode when I use the web feature to start reloading the configuration. I ask because I've selected my config.dat file, and said to upload, but it's been sitting for 15 minutes or so, and there is no "Loading" on the front display, so I'm not sure anything is really happening. It's not uncommon for the Denon instructions to be vague, so I don't know if I should have had the unit on to see "Loading" or if the process is really taking place, and I'd rather not stop it if I'm just a minute or so from finishing.

Any general clues on this? Should I have started with the unit on or in standby? Does it just miraculously finish without feedback sometimes? I did try to crawl the thread some before posting this, but I just wasn't finding a hit, nor was I able to find anything starting from Google and pointing into the forum. Thanks.
johnwjames5 is offline  
post #9684 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Member
 
lopro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccafjohn View Post

How is your Denon connected to the LAN?
I can't offer any advice about resetting the processor, but my set up has been working very well and has only dropped out once in 6 weeks.

I use an AirPort Express "N" set to extend the network. My 1912 is plugged directly into the ethernet port on the APEx. As the crow flys it is about 50' from my Airport Extreme through several walls in a condo with neighbors on either side. (sans interference issues). I can see my Denon from any computer, iPhone, or iPad in the building.

My only suggestion would be to look at how you are connected to your LAN and troubleshoot from there.

My Denon is connected directly to my Time Capsule (router) with ethernet cable. And, I've reset the Denon processor a few times since I've had this setup. The reset doesn't seem to affect the missing AirPlay in iTunes. Had issues before reset and after reset.

It seems like an Apple/iTunes problem to me, but not sure.
lopro is offline  
post #9685 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
ReSultZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^ So Pandora won't show up on screen digital...is that what you mean?

How about setting the AVR to NOT change or add your any changes to your tv picture settings? Cause when I look at the video status,it says movie.
ReSultZ is offline  
post #9686 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Thinking of adding an amp. I have a 2312ci. Anyone recommend an amp that will match up for fronts? Thanks
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #9687 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

good thing you are only thinking about it, because the 2312 doesn't have pre-outs...

you'd have to use a speaker level to line level converter in order to add an amp...

you going into protection and/or clipping? if not, don't bother...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #9688 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Canary_Jules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading from my AVR-1909 to one of the newer models as I will need 3d capability with my new Sony VW95ES projector. So, obviously the AVR-1912 is the direct equivalent today. Obviously this has more features than my present receiver, but would I notice any improvement in the sound itself? I also have the option of upgrading to an AVR-2312 - which is also at a great price right now. This has a few more features than the AVR-1912 but will the AVR-2312 receiver actually ultimately sound any better? And am I any better off still with the Denon over say an equivalent Onkyo? Movie watching is my main priority.

FYI, I have a BK XLS200 sub, Teufel Ultra 2 certified dipole surrounds, Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 floorstanders, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 centre and Wharfedale Diamond 7.1 rear surrounds. It's my plan to gradually upgrade from the Wharfedales to matching Teufels.

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Canary_Jules is offline  
post #9689 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwjames5 View Post

Not that I seem to understand a lot else about this device, but before taking it to an authorized service center today, I decided to just poke on things one more time. Letting the unit sit for a couple of days seems to have changed something, and today the unit responds to commands from the remote. Rather than go through and set everything up again, I thought maybe I'd try reloading the config.dat file I'd saved a day before everything went to hell. One thing that is not clear from the instructions or anyplace I can seemingly find is whether or not the unit should be on or in standby mode when I use the web feature to start reloading the configuration. I ask because I've selected my config.dat file, and said to upload, but it's been sitting for 15 minutes or so, and there is no "Loading" on the front display, so I'm not sure anything is really happening. It's not uncommon for the Denon instructions to be vague, so I don't know if I should have had the unit on to see "Loading" or if the process is really taking place, and I'd rather not stop it if I'm just a minute or so from finishing.

Any general clues on this? Should I have started with the unit on or in standby? Does it just miraculously finish without feedback sometimes? I did try to crawl the thread some before posting this, but I just wasn't finding a hit, nor was I able to find anything starting from Google and pointing into the forum. Thanks.

I would rerun Audyssey if it doesn't work and their is an issue get it repaired and be done with it. If it works, problem solved and move forward. After you rerun Audyssey save a fresh Settings and get rid of the old config.

Yes when you save and load leave amp on. It will shut down and restart by itself.
spager is offline  
post #9690 of 19112 Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading from my AVR-1909 to one of the newer models as I will need 3d capability with my new Sony VW95ES projector. So, obviously the AVR-1912 is the direct equivalent today. Obviously this has more features than my present receiver, but would I notice any improvement in the sound itself? I also have the option of upgrading to an AVR-2312 - which is also at a great price right now. This has a few more features than the AVR-1912 but will the AVR-2312 receiver actually ultimately sound any better? And am I any better off still with the Denon over say an equivalent Onkyo? Movie watching is my main priority.

FYI, I have a BK XLS200 sub, Teufel Ultra 2 certified dipole surrounds, Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 floorstanders, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 centre and Wharfedale Diamond 7.1 rear surrounds. It's my plan to gradually upgrade from the Wharfedales to matching Teufels.

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

If you can get the 2312, buy it as it has a better Audessey bersion than the 1912. You can also get the 2112 for $450 which has Audessey MultiXT like the 2312.
tvuong is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off