The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 326 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9751 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Both audio and video will pass ... my emphasis was on the fact that only "HDMI" connected sources will pass through the AVR while in standby (edited previous post to clarify). The OPs post was unclear and made it sound like he was trying to pass audio from one source while the AVR was in standby and then expected to be able to select another device and have it pass through as well.

Ah gotcha, I figured it was something like that but I hadn't had enough caffeine yet for my brain to sort it all out.

Sounds like the 2112 will do everything I need and more. Now just gotta make a choice, thanks for the reply!
Darren_C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9752 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
vinceisvince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
- I have time warner cable and some commercials are in PL-II. It is consistent that those will cut audio out one second out of every 5 seconds. Other commercials don't have this issue.

- setting to daytime dyn volume and turning up my center sp volume (for soft dialogue) still seems to have loud commercials. Any other recommendations or just play around with it some more?

- I have a 10 inch sub in the far left corner right up against the wall ... Do I need to move it further from the wall? Is that possibly why audyssey set it to -11db?
vinceisvince is offline  
post #9753 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
1. Commercials aren't in PL II, rather they (and SD channels and some HD channels) are either broadcast in PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 which then gets simulated to 5.1 by DD PLII via the AVR. The audio drops are more likely an issue with the particular channel broadcasting the audio track, although you may want to try connecting an optical cable assigned to the same source name and setting the setting to "Digital" to see if that resolves the issue.

2. "DAY" is the weakest Dyn VOL setting so try using "EVENING" instead.

3. A setting of -11db means your sub volume is set too loud. Did you start with the volume at mid level (12 o'clock) as suggested in the manual? Placing the sub in the corner will amplify the bass signal, so either move the sub to another location or simply reduce the volume/gain knob on the back of the sub a notch or two and rerun AUTO SETUP to lower the sub trim closer to 0db (ie. away from -11db).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9754 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
 
echo-3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
You would likely get at least $300 for it, so a loss of $100, or you could relegate it to another part of the house, or perhaps pass it on to a relative. For maybe $50 more than what you paid for the 571, you can get the Denon 2112CI by "calling" Electronics Expo or AV Science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
It doesn't have that issue which was only on the older models.

Good, thats the reason I had to get another in the first place. Had the 2309CI and SW would not play with out all the poping,banging and static issue's.
echo-3 is offline  
post #9755 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
There's a user installable firmware update available for the 2309 that resolves the Star Wars audio issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9756 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it worth $70 more for a an AVR3312CI vs AVR3311CI?

I have a 4311CI and love it but have been having a touch time getting the 3312CI for the price i want to pay and the 3311 is available for $70 less. Im not paying more than $ 200 for either with credits and promos. Just curious its for the man cave.

Please do not use the airplay upgrade as a reason. I have considered this but I just want to know hardware wise....is one a clear winner.

Im assuming the gui is the same as the 4311ci i have?

I kinda like the look on the 3311ci as well.

nc88keyz is offline  
post #9757 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Both audio and video will pass ... my emphasis was on the fact that only "HDMI" connected sources will pass through the AVR while in standby (edited previous post to clarify). The OPs post was unclear and made it sound like he was trying to pass audio from one source while the AVR was in standby and then expected to be able to select another device and have it pass through as well.

I only have video pass thru. I think my problem is the WD TV streamer is passing dts and DD5.1 signal to my 2-3 yrs old Sharp Aquos TV that cannot produce stereo sound from them. It displays something like 'an incompatible audio signal detected...'
tvuong is offline  
post #9758 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

Is it worth $70 more for a an AVR3312CI vs AVR3311CI?

I have a 4311CI and love it but have been having a touch time getting the 3312CI for the price i want to pay and the 3311 is available for $70 less. Im not paying more than $ 200 for either with credits and promos. Just curious its for the man cave.

Please do not use the airplay upgrade as a reason. I have considered this but I just want to know hardware wise....is one a clear winner.

Im assuming the gui is the same as the 4311ci i have?

I kinda like the look on the 3311ci as well.

Pretty much the same with the main differences being the advanced gui which will overlay with 3D video.

BTW Denon has offered the Airplay upgrade for free on the 3311.
spager is offline  
post #9759 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Newbie
 
lashmyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't see this question addressed in previous posts:
Regarding the AVR-2112CI, are the Zone 2 pre-outs active even when sur/back amp assigment selected is Zone 2? I currently use the zone 2 speaker output for playback through speakers in a 2nd room and would like to also use the line level output routed to a separate system in a 3rd. I understand that if both are active they would play the same single source.
lashmyster is offline  
post #9760 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
Yes. Both are active.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9761 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Newbie
 
vinceisvince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
1. Commercials aren't in PL II, rather they (and SD channels and some HD channels) are either broadcast in PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 which then gets simulated to 5.1 by DD PLII via the AVR. The audio drops are more likely an issue with the particular channel broadcasting the audio track, although you may want to try connecting an optical cable assigned to the same source name and setting the setting to "Digital" to see if that resolves the issue.

2. "DAY" is the weakest Dyn VOL setting so try using "EVENING" instead.

3. A setting of -11db means your sub volume is set too loud. Did you start with the volume at mid level (12 o'clock) as suggested in the manual? Placing the sub in the corner will amplify the bass signal, so either move the sub to another location or simply reduce the volume/gain knob on the back of the sub a notch or two and rerun AUTO SETUP to lower the sub trim closer to 0db (ie. away from -11db).

My cable box has an hdmi output connection so although it may not be 1080p (im not sure if it is on hd channels or 720 p) I enjoy using the hdmi only and not getting optical in the mix. My onkyo using optical never did this though. Isnt hdmi > optical? I might try it out.

Yes sub is at 12. I followed the guide of setting the phase , lpf to max. But I did just read to volume even lower . What's interesting is when running audyssey I can barely hear the sub doing its thing but I guess the Mic can.

One more question, when pressing the movie or music button it can cycle through stereo and direct, etc.

I'm using movie for cable tv and leave it on whatever setting is first (depends on the signal). Is this okay?
vinceisvince is offline  
post #9762 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
LVS
Advanced Member
 
LVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know this has been hashed over a ton, but I am still confused and I have read post #4. I just received a AVR-3312 to replace a 3808 so I can get 1.4a switching and I have not hooked it up yet as I also have a new Pioneer vsx-1121-k.

My question, does the 3312 degrade all HDMI signals from all sources being passed through it with the video converter on? I am putting this in a dedicated theater room recently upgraded to 3d.
LVS is offline  
post #9763 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From post 4:

Quote:


2. A 2112CI owner has noted that HDMI Standby pass through defaults to TV when HDMI-CEC on the TV is set to ON (tested by noting the pass through feature doesn't work unless HDMI-CEC on the TV is set to OFF). This result is to be expected when the AVR is first tuned ON, however, may or may not be designed to do the same thing when in Standby. This issue may affect Samsung (Anynet+) TV's only as a Panasonic (VierraLink) owner indicated no issue with his TV. The workaround (as is also the case when the AVR is ON) is to set ARC or HDMI-CEC on the TV to OFF when not using that feature. You can also simply use an optical cable connection from the TV to the AVR rather than using ARC for the same quality audio.

Can someone please explain what this means? I have a Samsung LED with CEC.

What does "defaults to TV" mean? Does that mean the AVR is switching to the ARC input from the Samsung HDMI cable and the next time I turn on the AVR, the TV's audio output will be on, regardless of the input that had been selected? This doesn't really bother me, but it also sounds like pass through may not work at all with CEC enabled?

What do I lose by turning CEC to off? Do I lose any other handshake HDMI features, such as auto lip sync that is a main reason I'm purchasing a new AVR?

Basically, I just need to make sure I can have my cable STB be passed through HDMI to the Samsung TV when the AVR is in standby mode and that I can resolve my lip sync issues.

Thanks!
Darren_C is offline  
post #9764 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Pretty much the same with the main differences being the advanced gui which will overlay with 3D video.

BTW Denon has offered the Airplay upgrade for free on the 3311.

i didnt know that . nice to know .

FYI, ecost is getting over 20 of the AVR3312ci around monday i hear for 563.xx. macmall has free shipping , - have a $75 store credit for something that didnt work out AND $400 in discounts on credit card promos. So i am kinda excited to replace my Sony 5300ES AVR which will soon find a home on craigslist. They sell their refurbs for a bit less than the other guys. Ive always had good service with Ecost back to my first AVR Sony STRD3000ES

nc88keyz is offline  
post #9765 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince View Post

My cable box has an hdmi output connection so although it may not be 1080p (im not sure if it is on hd channels or 720 p) I enjoy using the hdmi only and not getting optical in the mix. My onkyo using optical never did this though. Isnt hdmi > optical? I might try it out.

Yes sub is at 12. I followed the guide of setting the phase , lpf to max. But I did just read to volume even lower . What's interesting is when running audyssey I can barely hear the sub doing its thing but I guess the Mic can.

One more question, when pressing the movie or music button it can cycle through stereo and direct, etc.

I'm using movie for cable tv and leave it on whatever setting is first (depends on the signal). Is this okay?

1. For a cable/sat box connection audio quality over HDMI should be no better than over optical.

2. Sub frequencies aren't meant to be heard, rather felt.

3. Stereo, yes ... Direct, no as there is a separate button for DIRECT.

4. Yup ..... as long as you're getting either DD PLII or DD/DTS.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9766 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

I know this has been hashed over a ton, but I am still confused and I have read post #4. I just received a AVR-3312 to replace a 3808 so I can get 1.4a switching and I have not hooked it up yet as I also have a new Pioneer vsx-1121-k.

My question, does the 3312 degrade all HDMI signals from all sources being passed through it with the video converter on? I am putting this in a dedicated theater room recently upgraded to 3d.

From the few posters that reported this issue, IIRC, yes.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9767 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

From post 4:



Can someone please explain what this means? I have a Samsung LED with CEC.

What does "defaults to TV" mean? Does that mean the AVR is switching to the ARC input from the Samsung HDMI cable and the next time I turn on the AVR, the TV's audio output will be on, regardless of the input that had been selected? This doesn't really bother me, but it also sounds like pass through may not work at all with CEC enabled?

What do I lose by turning CEC to off? Do I lose any other handshake HDMI features, such as auto lip sync that is a main reason I'm purchasing a new AVR?

Basically, I just need to make sure I can have my cable STB be passed through HDMI to the Samsung TV when the AVR is in standby mode and that I can resolve my lip sync issues.

Thanks!

Correct. With HDMI-CEC set to ON on the TV, the AVR will likely always switch to the TV input source on the AVR (although use of a Harmony remote can easily switch the input back to the desirec input). It also means you likely won't be able to use both HDMI pass through and ARC together, rather set HDMI Control to ON for the pass through and connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR for the ARC audio. By setting HDMI-CEC to OFF you shouldn't lose any HDMI sync capability.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9768 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Correct. With HDMI-CEC set to ON on the TV, the AVR will likely always switch to the TV input source on the AVR (although use of a Harmony remote can easily switch the input back to the desirec input). It also means you likely won't be able to use both HDMI pass through and ARC together, rather set HDMI Control to ON for the pass through and connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR for the ARC audio. By setting HDMI-CEC to OFF you shouldn't lose any HDMI sync capability.

Thanks-

So, to clarify again before I pull the trigger on a 2112:

1) CEC ON causes AVR to default to TV ARC input. No big deal here. I have a URC remote that should be able to manage this easily enough. I assume the Denon remote will too?

2) CEC ON enables ARC, but HDMI standby pass-through on the AVR may not work at all.

3) CEC OFF disables ARC, but standby HDMI passtrhough will work on the AVR. No other HDMI features lost. Presumably, universal remote control of other Samsung components is lost, but I don't have any, so no big deal. I can either lose the auido feed from the TV or, like you said, use optical at the cost of the single optical input on the 2112.

Sounds like it won't be a big deal to disable CEC. I'm not using any direct antenna/cable input, only STB/BR. All the network features on the TV are also available on my Panny BR player that also has Amazon, so no big deal there. Anything else where you'd need TV audio on the ARC? If no other HDMI 1.3/1.4 features are lost, like lip sync, I'll grab a 2112. Worst case I can always return it if there's a glitch;-)
Darren_C is offline  
post #9769 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
1. Correct. Although the Denon remote can change inputs, the URC remote can of course do it with a single button push.

2. Correct. The AVR still defaults to TV in standby mode so the standby source would not able to pass through.

3. Correct.

Whatever audio you might want to pass using the ARC (HDMI) will also pass over the optical audio out so there is no loss of the functionality of this feature, rather only the need to add the optical cable. Also note that if for some reason you want HDMI-CEC on the TV to be ON, but don't want to use the ARC feature, you can simply "disable" the TV input source on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9770 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
2. Correct. The AVR still defaults to TV in standby mode so the standby source would not able to pass through.

Thanks again-

Sounds like CEC off will do the trick with no real downside for my situation.

I was skimming the manual and notice that turning the 2112 "HDMI Control" to ON also allows "Standby Source" to be set to "Last" or to any HDMI input. If this is what I think it is, I wonder if another work-around for me might be to set this to the HDMI input for my STB. If the issue is that CEC always appears to the AVR that the TV is "ON" and therefore is always "Last" and forces the AVR to switch, maybe an override to a specific HDMI would resolve it? Since I don't care about the "Last" functionality and only want STB on standby, I'll give it a try and report next week once my 2112 arrives;-)
Darren_C is offline  
post #9771 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
Sorry, but no ... as I describe in that quote you posted.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9772 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

FYI, ecost is getting over 20 of the AVR3312ci around monday i hear for 563.xx.

I believe Ecost only has 3 months warranty.
tvuong is offline  
post #9773 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Sorry, but no ... as I describe in that quote you posted.

Drat, somehow I zoned out on that. Oh well. I put in an order for the 2112, since it appears that this same issue is going to be true of the 709 and other AVRs due to the nature of CEC. Thanks again for clarifying all this!
Darren_C is offline  
post #9774 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince View Post

My cable box has an hdmi output connection so although it may not be 1080p (im not sure if it is on hd channels or 720 p) I enjoy using the hdmi only and not getting optical in the mix. My onkyo using optical never did this though. Isnt hdmi > optical? I might try it out.

HDMI is better than optical ONLY if you're sending a signal that optical can't handle. Only blu-ray and similar sources meet that description. Anything from a cable or satellite box will easily "fit" inside an optical cable... it doesn't need, or benefit from, the extra bandwidth that HDMI supports.

You don't need a firehose to water your potted plants. You can use one, but if you manage to hook that firehose up to the same faucet as the garden hose, you don't get "more" water out of it than the garden hose would have allowed in the first place.
Kalani is offline  
post #9775 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I was at Bestbuy browsing and they had the 4311 open box for $1799. I checked it out and it is made in Japan, the rest of the Denons are made in China. That tells alot about quality and price difference beside the obvious XT32 and other features of the 4311.
tvuong is offline  
post #9776 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Member
 
AaronS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Blue Ridge, Texas
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys and gals,

I've searched for the answer to a question I have in this thread and read a LOT of replies, but still haven't found an absolute answer to my question.

I just ordered one of the JVC RS40 B stock projectors for my home living room/theater setup. I am currently using a Samsung HL67A750 RPTV as my primary display (HDMI v1.3). I also ordered a Denon 3312 CI to now do the HDMI switching between these two displays. My set up has the projector screen dropping down just in front of the Samsung when I want to use the projector.

What I want to know is if there is a code sequence to directly toggle or select HDMI 1 or 2 for output as part of an "activity" sequence on a Logitech 890 remote? I do not currently have a 3D Blu-ray player, so although the JVC projector is an HDMI 1.4a display, will there be any issue if I leave the Denon set to output to both, or will I need to switch between the two HDMI monitor ports?

While it doesn't seem to me it would actually matter currently, if/when I upgrade to a 3D Blu-ray player, will I still be able to use the Denon to switch display outputs? I intend to use something like the Oppo 93 with dual HDMI outputs that I can use to work around the HDMI v1.3 vs 1.4a issue (I think), but what I actually want to know if if the Denon will still recognize and restrict the output to a display if the other display is powered off at the time? I suspect since the TV is actually in "standby", it may still be advertising itself as a v1.3 display and muck up the works.

Does anyone know for sure how this will behave? Is the issue resolution only? Both displays can accept a 1080p input, so is that all that is really an issue?

If this has been answered already, I do apologize, but I really have search a lot and read a lot of this thread (but not all 360+ replies)!
AaronS is offline  
post #9777 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Luisfc1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
denon 1712 here, where can i get an ipod dock for cheapest price online? id order refurbished if theres a warranty
Luisfc1972 is offline  
post #9778 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^

http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...ch_query=denon

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9779 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,325
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS View Post

I do not currently have a 3D Blu-ray player, so although the JVC projector is an HDMI 1.4a display, will there be any issue if I leave the Denon set to output to both, or will I need to switch between the two HDMI monitor ports?

As noted on p. 108, most likely you will have to switch between the two monitor ports.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9780 of 19302 Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Member
 
AaronS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Blue Ridge, Texas
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As noted on p. 108, most likely you will have to switch between the two monitor ports.

I guess it's still not clear to me the means to switch between Monitors 1 and 2. Without the receiver it's a bit hard to decern from the manual. Reading it literally, it appears to be a multi-step button sequence to drill down to the setting and then either do a toggle. or select enter sort of thing.

I was hoping there was a direct function code/button that would either directly select one or the other (discrete code/button) or a toggle code/button. With only two ports, it wouldn't matter, unless it cycled through the auto as part of the toggle.
AaronS is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off