AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#6,502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKYMTN /forum/post/20902597

Still learning the menus, etc and have an issue with the photo streaming quality. I can stream music and photos just fine with my Western Digital live hub, apple TV and even using the front USB on the Denon. But when I use the Denon to stream photos via my network- the photo quality is terrible, again, the photos stream fine from a USB connected to the front - it is just the streaming from other sources I can barely make out the photo.

- anybody else running into this? thanks.

Yes, I am. Has this ever been addressed? I am running into the same problem with all my photos streaming horribly, I barely can make them out. They stream fine with my other devices, Blu Ray and WDTV Live Plus, but not with the Denon. Were you ever able to determine the problem?

Thanks.

#6,504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop32 /forum/post/21261694

Hopefully someone answer this quick question so I dont have to dig through 200+ pages to see if its been asked/answered before...

Here is what I would like to do with the 3112... Use the pre-outs to my multi-channel amp for my 7.1 main room system. Use the on board amps to power stereo Zone 2 and/or Zone 3.

Now, I know you can do this by using the "amp assign" function... but the question is, does the unit mute (or drop) the Surround Back output to the pre-outs when you assign the amps to the 2nd/3rd zone?

honestly I don't know! I am 90% sure the pre-out is still "hot" even with amp assign set to Zone 2/3, but I can't say for sure. If you could test this and report back it would be much appreciated (assuming you already have the 3312).

if you haven't bought yet, and can afford it, you should strongly consider the 4311ci instead. Since you have all external amps for main zone, you can put the receiver in "preamp" mode with all 11.2 pre-outs "hot" and reassign 4 amps to power multizone stuff. With the 3311ci the max amps you can dedicate to Zone 2/3 is two, while the 4311ci can assign 4 to other zones. Plus you get the glory of XT32... just a thought...

#6,505 ·
Hi guys,

I just bought a Denon AVR 1912 and feel there is a slight problem...I have the same connected to my panasonic projector and JBL SCS 200.5 speakers ((didn't want to spend a lot as the room is not too big)..

The problem I have is when I start up, it shows the menu for Start (for setting it up first time), but when I press the "Enter" button on the remote, it does not work.

I am able to watch movies, have a Media server attached, am able to watch content from that too but the basic first time setup does not run. The side problem as a result of this is also that it auto detects the sound as Stereo except when I play a DVD. So whenever I play the Media Server or SAT (SKY) or anything else, it plays in a stereo mode except when I play a DVD inside the DVD player. Each of the external systems are connected to AVR using the HDMI cables...

Any tip/guidance will be of great help...

Thanks

#6,506 ·
Hi all,

I need assistance please. Bought the 3312 the other day, and the problem I'm trying to fix is that my cable box is hooked up through the DVR input. When I turn off the receiver and turn it back on again, it does not stay on DVR mode, it switches to "TV viewing". Do I need to change the input mode each time I turn on the receiver? It seems like a simple fix but I've gone through the manual and settings many times with no luck.

#6,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaps /forum/post/21265744

Hi guys,

I just bought a Denon AVR 1912 and feel there is a slight problem...I have the same connected to my panasonic projector and JBL SCS 200.5 speakers ((didn't want to spend a lot as the room is not too big)..

The problem I have is when I start up, it shows the menu for Start (for setting it up first time), but when I press the "Enter" button on the remote, it does not work.

I am able to watch movies, have a Media server attached, am able to watch content from that too but the basic first time setup does not run. The side problem as a result of this is also that it auto detects the sound as Stereo except when I play a DVD. So whenever I play the Media Server or SAT (SKY) or anything else, it plays in a stereo mode except when I play a DVD inside the DVD player. Each of the external systems are connected to AVR using the HDMI cables...

Any tip/guidance will be of great help...

Thanks

If you are talking about Auto Setup you need to plug the included Audysssey mic (stuck in the styrofoam of your box) and run Auto Setup. Click on BatPigs world on the bottom of any of his post or Audyssey setup on the bottom of JDsmoothie post for complete instructions.

#6,508 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg74 /forum/post/21266468

Hi all,

I need assistance please. Bought the 3312 the other day, and the problem I'm trying to fix is that my cable box is hooked up through the DVR input. When I turn off the receiver and turn it back on again, it does not stay on DVR mode, it switches to "TV viewing". Do I need to change the input mode each time I turn on the receiver? It seems like a simple fix but I've gone through the manual and settings many times with no luck.

You can try making sure your hdmi control is set On and the Standby Source has the hdmi input you want in the HDMI Setup menu.

Adding; This also enables the Pass Through feature which allows you to watch tv through the tv speakers when you shut down Avr.

#6,509 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager /forum/post/0

You can try making sure your hdmi control is set On and the Standby Source has the hdmi input you want in the HDMI Setup menu.

Adding; This also enables the Pass Through feature which allows you to watch tv through the tv speakers when you shut down Avr.

Thanks Spager, I had all those settings correct. Apparently I'll need to change the setting to DVR after the receiver powers on. It just sticks with TV Viewing mode when it turns on initially. But it will stay on HDMI 4 (DVR setting) in standby mode. Strange that it won't stay on DVR mode when I turn it back on.

#6,510 ·
So I've been sitting here patiently waiting for my brand spankin new 3312CI to update the Firmware since 3 PM today and it is now almost 9 PM... What is the issue? All I see is "Please Wait... Authenticating" after it connects to alert me & start the firmware download.

I've reset my modem/router 8 times, cleared the AVR's memory 4 times, set my modem/router to have the 3312Ci in front of the firewall so it gets its own IP address outisde of any blocking the modem/router would like to do. I've shutoff the AVR & unplugged it more times than I can count. The latest attempt I waited an hour before calling it quits and going through the whole shutoff, unplug router & AVR procedure once again. I typically wait for about 30 minutes to do the unplug everything procedure and restart the update.

I've read through 60 pages of this thread without any clear advice for getting things done when this happens. This thing is going back to the store soon for a full & complete refund as it is more aggrevating than enjoyable at the moment, but I would like to update the firmware to see if it gets rid of the video signal blanking out issue I randomly see in the meantime. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me & I'll keep it if I can get rid of this stupid issue & begin to have a modicum of confidence that the design is a good reliable one where I can actually update firmware.

EDIT: Internet radio works fine & reliably except for the video blanking out issue. Also when I do the firmware update, after a certain amount of time, the internet radio turns on randomly as the screen still says "Please Wait... Authenticating". I've unplugged everything and no wireless devices are connected to the router/modem. To even post this, I'm currently tethered to my phone for internet on my computer so the 3312CI can have free uniterrupted access to my broadband. This is ridiculous

#6,511 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg74 /forum/post/0

Hi all,

Magical input switching is caused by the HDMI CEC in your TV. It's not a setting on the receiver.

#6,512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg74 /forum/post/21266468

Hi all,

If your using CEC control or arc I am not sure if there is solution but I do recall that a poster deleted tv by greying out tv in the Manual Setup/Option Setup/Source Delete and it reverted to the last source played when he restarted his avr.

#6,513 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL15 /forum/post/21266647

So I've been sitting here patiently waiting for my brand spankin new 3312CI to update the Firmware since 3 PM today and it is now almost 9 PM... What is the issue? All I see is "Please Wait... Authenticating" after it connects to alert me & start the firmware download.

I've reset my modem/router 8 times, cleared the AVR's memory 4 times, set my modem/router to have the 3312Ci in front of the firewall so it gets its own IP address outisde of any blocking the modem/router would like to do. I've shutoff the AVR & unplugged it more times than I can count. The latest attempt I waited an hour before calling it quits and going through the whole shutoff, unplug router & AVR procedure once again. I typically wait for about 30 minutes to do the unplug everything procedure and restart the update.

I've read through 60 pages of this thread without any clear advice for getting things done when this happens. This thing is going back to the store soon for a full & complete refund as it is more aggrevating than enjoyable at the moment, but I would like to update the firmware to see if it gets rid of the video signal blanking out issue I randomly see in the meantime. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me & I'll keep it if I can get rid of this stupid issue & begin to have a modicum of confidence that the design is a good reliable one where I can actually update firmware.

EDIT: Internet radio works fine & reliably except for the video blanking out issue. Also when I do the firmware update, after a certain amount of time, the internet radio turns on randomly as the screen still says "Please Wait... Authenticating". I've unplugged everything and no wireless devices are connected to the router/modem. To even post this, I'm currently tethered to my phone for internet on my computer so the 3312CI can have free uniterrupted access to my broadband. This is ridiculous

If you bought it locally I would replace/return it and be done with it. Start fresh but these models rarely have firmware issues.

#6,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager /forum/post/21266734

If you bought it locally I would replace/return it and be done with it. Start fresh but these models rarely have firmware issues.

I've seen numerous posts where other people have had the exact same issue I'm seeing on this unit as well as others with different models that have internet update. They usually only have to mess with things a few times and then it goes through eventually & randomly.

I've listened to about 1 minute of TOP-40's music on this thing during the initial setup of internet radio and the rest of the 6 hours I've owned it has been dealing with this stupid firmware update. I'm gonna let it rest for the rest of the night and tomorrow if it doesn't do the update, it's being returned and I'll never buy any Denon product ever again & will be fully sure to share my experience with others. It may be an extreme stance, but I expect something to work correctly out of the box when I pay $1K; this idea of corporations releasing half baked products and debugging them after release is BS.

#6,515 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager /forum/post/21266493

If you are talking about Auto Setup you need to plug the included Audysssey mic (stuck in the styrofoam of your box) and run Auto Setup. Click on BatPigs world on the bottom of any of his post or Audyssey setup on the bottom of JDsmoothie post for complete instructions.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the mic is also attached and setup on a Tripod...For some reason the Enter does not work in that mode...not sure why...

#6,516 ·
In the long run most do not have any issues but a few will have issues with user error (settings) others bad connection using a bridge but I do not recall any of this years models being replaced for this reason if so very few.

Not saying that yours may not have an issue but the good thing is you can return/replace it with no questions asked, Good Luck.

#6,518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21263929

You may want to try a network reset (see post #5).

Well, the weirdness continues. Holding Presets 1 & 3 to do a Network Reset does nothing, but holding 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 both get the flashing display and boot up in setup mode. I definitely have a 3312, it's all of the menus, the unit and the box.

In any case, every since I updated, it pulls an IP, but won't perform any network related operations, just staying stuck in "Please wait..." or failing the automatic network setup. So weird.

I'll call Denon tomorrow.

#6,519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21263945

Not sure what you mean by 8 secs? You press the button on the remote and 8 sec later the input actually changes? Input changes should occur as almost as quickly as you press the button on the remote. Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 125) and see if that resolves the issue. You'll have to run AUTO SETUP again.

I did the microprocessor reset and that didn't help. Here's an example of what happens:

t=0 press the BD button, TV screen goes blank, "BD" and "auto" show on the receiver's display.

t=2s "HDMI" label goes on

t=3s "H=HDMI1 D=None" on display

t=4s "Stereo BD" shows up on display

t=6s "PCM" and "Dig" label show up, finally video and audio appear.

The only things I did since the reset were to go thru some of the setup menu, and set the receiver for 2 speakers.

Another example

t=0 press Sat/cbl button, screen goes blank, "sat/cbl" and "auto" on receiver's display

t=3 "H=HDMI3 D=None" on display

t=4 "Stereo Sat" and "auto" show up

t=5 "HDMI" light goes on. An occasional flash of video

t=6 "Dig." and "dolby digital" show up, finally video and audio.

#6,520 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager /forum/post/21266932

Try unplugging plugging in a few times and try again. If no luck do a microprocessor reset, Instructions for that is on pg.1 post 5.

Thanks spager..

Tried that too..I guess there can be two issues...

One a genuine one that there is some problem with the device or second which I guess you could confirm is that the projector it is attached to is the good old PT-AE900 which is a 1080i and not 1080p. Would that be a problem ? I doubt it should be, but with technology becoming commodity so fast, it wouldn't surprise me....

Do let me know...

Appreciate all your help so far...