The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9901 of 19312 Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in the market for a new receiver and have pretty much zeroed in on Denon. Admittedly I'm probably looking at 6-12 months off so I may end up with the xx13 models. I'd also be looking to take a massive step up in speakers (hoping Paradigm Studios) depending on budget.

What I'm confused about is per-outs. I currently have a HK 330 that is about 7 years old - it was certainly not top of the line. It is only rated around 65wpc, but it is equipped with a full set of pre-outs. Yet when I look at the xx12 Denons I think you need the very top to get the same set of pre-outs.

Assuming I end up with Studio 60s or 100s, would I realistically even need to worry about pre-outs to step up to an amp later down the road? I doubt I'd need 5.0 amp ability for surround. Rather just 2.0 for stereo capability if i wanted to go that route in the future. Do mid-Denons allow certain channels to act as stereo pre-outs? I realize this trend could change with xx13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 19312 Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
^^
Denon has progressively reduced the number of analog legacy inputs as well as dropped the external inputs and multi channel preouts from the lower/mid level models below the 331X series most likely as a cost cutting factor as the vast majority of the public buying this level of models won't need to use an external amp. Unless you are in a very large room or like to listen at very loud volumes, you likely wouldn't need an external amp with those speakers either; however, if you are considering preouts at all and don't want to go to the 331X series, consider the Marantz lower models as they generally feature FL/FR preouts at a minimum.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9903 of 19312 Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Think about it. There is no VIDEO path from the AVR to the TV, when the TV itself is generating the images (from it's internal tuner). The sound is going OUT of the TV (through the optical), but there is no video going IN (from the AVR).

If you used an external tuner of some sort, the signal would pass through the AVR on its way to the TV, and then it could overlay the GUI. But with the internal tuner, no joy. Sorry!

Thanks to all that responded. It makes sense now. It actually is not bad the way it is now though. I can get easier access to the TV menu's as the work with the Denton remote.
post #9904 of 19312 Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

I'm now using an optical cable because I cant' reliably connect my Denon 2312+TV+PS3 together. Phould the output on he PS3 should be set to Bitstream so that the receiver handles the decoding. Very confusing quote below:

- (Quick FAQ, audio settings) The statement regarding audio outputs is misleading. The advanced CODECs are indeed supported over all three connection types (HDMI, analog, and optical) but are downmixed to stereo unless you're using HDMI. Over an optical connection the advanced CODECs will only be decoded if the optical output format is set to PCM.
post #9905 of 19312 Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If by "advanced" codecs, that quote is referring to HD codecs, only HDMI can pass HD codecs, whether decoded by the PS3 to PCM or bitstreamed to the AVR as HD DD/DTS. The best optical can do is the lossy DD/DTS although to do so it must be setup as the primary audio source on the PS3. Set the PS3 to bitstream to see the codec on the front panel display of the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9906 of 19312 Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM

I've got what's probably a stupid question. Can I save Pandora stations as presets or favorites and if so, how?
post #9907 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 AM

Hi, I am brand new to this Forum so please bare with me.

I have a new Denon AVR 2312, I have it networked successfully and from the media menu it can find my photos etc , however it cannot find my Itunes Library , it can find the Pod Casts but not music.

I have turned on the home sharing etc, whats the best way to check settings?

Thankyou

I apologise if this is not in the right area.
post #9908 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 04:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Welcome to AVS Forum.

Review the Troubleshooting section in post #3 linked in my sig for more information.

post #9909 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU fan View Post

I've got what's probably a stupid question. Can I save Pandora stations as presets or favorites and if so, how?

Not familiar with it, but I'm guessing no, seeing as you must sign in to Pandora in order to use it.

post #9910 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM

Two odd issues I was wondering if anyone else had experienced or may not a cause/solution.

For many months now I've had my 2312 sitting between my DirecTV box and TV. When watching satellite, and adjusting volume, I use to see the Denon volume bar display on the TV. This no longer happen, seemingly out of the blue with no changes to my setup. I also don't recall doing any firmware updates. Volume goes up and down no problem, but it won't display on the TV.

The other issue I have is sometimes Zone 2 won't power on or power off using the remote. I have the remote set on Zone 2 and I use the Zone power buttons but nothing happens. I resort to having to change the input to Zone 2 to make sure nothing is playing out on my patio. I've also found that I can use the browser interace to turn off Zone 2 when the remote doesn't seem to do it. Just wondering if there's a reason that a zone wouldn't power off.

Thanks in advance
post #9911 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^

There is 2 ways to turn it off one is turn off video convert in the Input Video section or in the Manual/options/Gui section having the Master Volume selected to off. So look in those options to turn it on.
post #9912 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
1. Commercials aren't in PL II, rather they (and SD channels and some HD channels) are either broadcast in PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 which then gets simulated to 5.1 by DD PLII via the AVR. The audio drops are more likely an issue with the particular channel broadcasting the audio track, although you may want to try connecting an optical cable assigned to the same source name and setting the setting to "Digital" to see if that resolves the issue.

2. "DAY" is the weakest Dyn VOL setting so try using "EVENING" instead.

3. A setting of -11db means your sub volume is set too loud. Did you start with the volume at mid level (12 o'clock) as suggested in the manual? Placing the sub in the corner will amplify the bass signal, so either move the sub to another location or simply reduce the volume/gain knob on the back of the sub a notch or two and rerun AUTO SETUP to lower the sub trim closer to 0db (ie. away from -11db).

Well I dialed ny sub down about 25% and got -5.5db. That should be good for the filters right? Does it even need it being a synergy model . It's plenty loud but somewhat a little too much rumbly sometimes. Any how I found it silly I had to run audyssey once then calculate to see where the sub volume was being set. I want to upgrade but the sub meant for my towers is hard to come by or listed too high (xw-300d).

Anyhow, I had some presets set and it seemed to forget what the volume settings where which is good. I set towers and center up to 80hz since it was 40 and 60 respectably. Surrounds I set to 120 from 90 according to manufacture specs and they are just little sats.

I think I'm set, I got to experiment again now.
post #9913 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey I just made a purchase of the Denon 2112CI reciever and a 5.1 EMP tek speaker set up which includes :
E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers
E5Ci Center Speaker

E5Ti Tower Speakers

ES10i SUBWOOFER.
I have my fios cable set up, wdtv live, and xbox360(mw3).

I ran the wizard/auto set up and it recognized the front towers as small/centers small/bookshelve surrounds small. Should i set the front towers to large?(feel like these speakers have alot more base power than there outputting right now). Is this correct? For bass settings auto set it up as LFE, should i set it to LFE plus main? lfe is set at 120 hz. For cross over freq. it says advanced )front full bad_ but shaded out cant change it, and center is 80hz. I found the volume to be pretty low which seems to be my problem. I have small svs book shelf speakers that have more bass than these so far. I have to set the receiver to -5db which believe has to be messed up. I turned dyn volume off.

Also i set the notice on and there was no firmware update. If i just got the receiver should there be a firmware update or is it already likely updated? I cant see the firmware version in the set up menu.

Also the setup has the Front towers at -5.5db , center at -3.5db, and sub at -7.5db

Should I make any changes to the sub changes? I did what was rec. before running the setup. Should I lower the frequency? on my svs sub upstairs i manually changed it to 80 hz dont know if i should do it for this?

Thanks for the help. love ya guys
post #9914 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If you haven't already, review posts #3-6 on page 1 of this thread for more info on your 2112CI. With separate sub, all speakers get set to SMALL, so the lower frequencies are passed to the sub which is better able to handle them, as well as taking the lower frequency load off of the AVR. There was a recent firmware update in the past week or two ... you'll likely need that one. Check out your network connection to make sure it works correctly.

post #9915 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

I have a denon 1612 which I've been having some trouble with.

I have audio, but lose video signal. Seems to mostly happen when I have it off for several hours..not normally during playback.

When I power everything up my tv will say 'no signal' but im getting audio. When i play with the cord, I can normally get it to work after a minute or two of jiggling it around

It would seem to me that its probably a cable issue, but i just wanted to check with some pros since its run inside the wall and I'd need to remove my moldings to replace it.

Thanks!
post #9916 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Hi all,

First post in this thread. Upgraded from an old Sony receiver to the 1712 a couple of weeks ago. Did a decent amount of reading before, and a lot of reading since.

A couple of (hopefully) basic questions:

1) Is the only function of Dynamic Volume to maintain an even volume (i.e. to not allow explosions or loud commercials through)? I like the idea of an even volume across all channels, but I also like having loud parts of movies and shows (i.e. explosions) be loud. Is there a happy medium? What is the difference between Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ?

2) In the Auto Surround settings, Digital 2.0 is set to Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema. If I want to change 2.0 from PLII to stereo sound, where within the menu can I make that happen?

3) I got a "phase" error during auto set-up with my center speaker. Checked the wiring, which is good. Am I correct that there is nothing to worry about (per Batpig's run through)?

4) Aside from running the Audyssey auto set-up, and naming inputs, are there any other settings that I should look at? If so, what do those settings mean? (Btw, I'm running a 5.0 set-up, with towers up front). I'm pretty darn happy with the upgrade, but certainly am not afraid to play around/tweak if I can get an even better sound/experience.

Thanks in advance!
post #9917 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post

I have a denon 1612 which I've been having some trouble with.

I have audio, but lose video signal. Seems to mostly happen when I have it off for several hours..not normally during playback.

When I power everything up my tv will say 'no signal' but im getting audio. When i play with the cord, I can normally get it to work after a minute or two of jiggling it around

It would seem to me that its probably a cable issue, but i just wanted to check with some pros since its run inside the wall and I'd need to remove my moldings to replace it.

Thanks!

Sounds like a simple loose cable issue as you suggest, although generally the way to mitigate HDMI handshake issues (audio/video) is to power on the TV first, wait a few secs, power on the AVR, wait a few secs, and then power on the source device.

post #9918 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxg331 View Post

1) Is the only function of Dynamic Volume to maintain an even volume (i.e. to not allow explosions or loud commercials through)? I like the idea of an even volume across all channels, but I also like having loud parts of movies and shows (i.e. explosions) be loud. Is there a happy medium? What is the difference between Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ?

2) In the Auto Surround settings, Digital 2.0 is set to Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema. If I want to change 2.0 from PLII to stereo sound, where within the menu can I make that happen?

3) I got a "phase" error during auto set-up with my center speaker. Checked the wiring, which is good. Am I correct that there is nothing to worry about (per Batpig's run through)?

4) Aside from running the Audyssey auto set-up, and naming inputs, are there any other settings that I should look at? If so, what do those settings mean? (Btw, I'm running a 5.0 set-up, with towers up front). I'm pretty darn happy with the upgrade, but certainly am not afraid to play around/tweak if I can get an even better sound/experience.

Thanks in advance!

1. Correct. Generally you'll only want to use Dyn Vol when watching TV (for loud commercials) or late at night, otherwise normally you'll want it OFF for movies. Dyn EQ provides a bass/surround boost at lower volumes below 0db.

2. Press the "Movie" or "Music" button on the remote and select STEREO.

3. Correct.

4. If your towers have a powered subwoofer, you'll want to connect the sub preout to a "Y" splitter and connect to both of the sub coax digital inputs and rerun AUTO SETUP so sub gets set to YES.

post #9919 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a simple loose cable issue as you suggest, although generally the way to mitigate HDMI handshake issues (audio/video) is to power on the TV first, wait a few secs, power on the AVR, wait a few secs, and then power on the source device.

so you wouldn't think its a faulty cable, but a loose connection?

i'll try bootup in that order and see if it helps over the next day
post #9920 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

^

There is 2 ways to turn it off one is turn off video convert in the Input Video section or in the Manual/options/Gui section having the Master Volume selected to off. So look in those options to turn it on.

I figured I would try to look in the settings menu to solve this but quickly realized that none of the gui would display on my TV. I tried power off and on, still nothing. I had to unplug the reciever from the wall, then it turn back on and finally the volume and all other gui things started displaying on the TV again. Must just be a glitch.

Haven't quite figured out why sometimes the remote won't power off zone 2. but I have a way around it I guess.
post #9921 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv132 View Post

Hey I just made a purchase of the Denon 2112CI reciever and a 5.1 EMP tek speaker set up which includes :
E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers
E5Ci Center Speaker

E5Ti Tower Speakers

ES10i SUBWOOFER.
I have my fios cable set up, wdtv live, and xbox360(mw3).

I ran the wizard/auto set up and it recognized the front towers as small/centers small/bookshelve surrounds small. Should i set the front towers to large?(feel like these speakers have alot more base power than there outputting right now). Is this correct? For bass settings auto set it up as LFE, should i set it to LFE plus main? lfe is set at 120 hz. For cross over freq. it says advanced )front full bad_ but shaded out cant change it, and center is 80hz. I found the volume to be pretty low which seems to be my problem. I have small svs book shelf speakers that have more bass than these so far. I have to set the receiver to -5db which believe has to be messed up. I turned dyn volume off.

Also i set the notice on and there was no firmware update. If i just got the receiver should there be a firmware update or is it already likely updated? I cant see the firmware version in the set up menu.

Also the setup has the Front towers at -5.5db , center at -3.5db, and sub at -7.5db

Should I make any changes to the sub changes? I did what was rec. before running the setup. Should I lower the frequency? on my svs sub upstairs i manually changed it to 80 hz dont know if i should do it for this?

Thanks for the help. love ya guys

http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

Check out that link!

Also -5db is extremely loud for me and your channel levels seem quite different than mine.. is anything set to zero? Otherwise it seems like something is wrong being at -5db for a good volume level.
post #9922 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

^^
DD EX is a 6.1 signal which you could either play as is with the rear center channel being replicated in both rear surrounds in a 7.1 AFAIK, or using DD PLIIx would be simulated to 7.1. DD+ is simply another HD format which (if 5.1) can also be simulated up to 7.1 using either DD PLIIx or DD PLIIz.

How about with a 6.1 setup running the xbox 360(which is 5.1)
would it be good to set DD EX? and/or is there a way to set DD PLIIz(I can't find it)
post #9923 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
585-645-1006

^^
DD PLIIz only applies to a 7.1 setup and more specifically to "Front Height" speakers. Select the surround mode that sounds best to you.

post #9924 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

^^
DD PLIIz only applies to a 7.1 setup and more specifically to "Front Height" speakers. Select the surround mode that sounds best to you.

But would you recommend using DD EX 6.1 with the 360?
post #9925 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Has anyone else had problems with HDMI-CEC stop working completely?
I have a 2112 and the my Sony TV just stopped seeing the Receiver for control and ARC, it has been working fine. The TV is also unable to see the Blu-Ray player connected to the receiver, this was working as well. If I directly connect the Blue-Ray to the TV it sees the player, which is why I think the problem is with the receiver.

I'm inclined to think it is a hardware problem. The only change I made prior to it stopping function is connection of an IR repeater (Harmony 900) directly to the back panel. This was working fine though.

I have tried:
Factory reset of the TV.
Reset the receiver CPU.
Disconnecting everything including unplug from power. Then only connecting the receiver to the TV with no other HDMI devices in to the receiver.

I bought it in January, so I believe Im past the point I can just take it back to BestBuy. I can live without this functionality, by running an optical cable (I really wish Denons had 2 optical in), but I am worried that if this is a hardware failure the this will cause other problems. Of course I also would also rather not need to mail it in and have no stereo for the duration, so I guess I'm looking for other things to try. I'm also going to contact Denon and will post a followup what happens that route.
post #9926 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakendrick View Post

I figured I would try to look in the settings menu to solve this but quickly realized that none of the gui would display on my TV. I tried power off and on, still nothing. I had to unplug the reciever from the wall, then it turn back on and finally the volume and all other gui things started displaying on the TV again. Must just be a glitch.

Haven't quite figured out why sometimes the remote won't power off zone 2. but I have a way around it I guess.

Are you hitting amp first? Many have forgotten to do this to get into amp mode .
post #9927 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cistearns View Post

Has anyone else had problems with HDMI-CEC stop working completely?

Make sure the HDMI-CEC settings on each device haven't changed. Also to increase the number of optical inputs on the AVR, you can add an optical splitter.

post #9928 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post

thanks

OK so i settled for cbl/sat for the audio inputs from the Wii and setup component 1 as video source and it works fine

only problem i have is that i want the source to remember the surround settings i choose for each input. this works fine when selecting cbl/sat or BD on the remote BUT reverts to 'stereo' for all sources when i use the 'quick select'!!

is this normal? if so its a real pain

Select the settings your prefer for the particular Q. Select and hold for a few seconds until the Memeroy flashes on your Tv and that should save your surround settings.
post #9929 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Select the settings your prefer for the particular Q. Select and hold for a few seconds until the Memeroy flashes on your Tv and that should save your surround settings.

thanks

just sorted it and deleted the question as felt a right numpty but you were too quick with the answer
post #9930 of 19312 Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:

a. Dual subwoofers: If you have 2 (or more) subs that you want to connect, but don't need the features offered in the 2312CI or 3312CI (both of which have 2 sub preout jacks), simply pick up a RCA "Y" splitter at Monoprice (or Radio Shack or Walmart) and connect it to the single sub preout on the 2112CI or lower model and you'll create the same result. The 3312CI and 2312CI both simply use an internal "Y" splitter.

I have been considering the 3312ci, but after reading this from FAQ I am wondering/wanting to double check with anyone that has a 3312ci that this AVR does NOT set Phase/delay, distance, and level for each sub, but treats them as one sub.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page