Forum Jump: 

post #10501 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
^^
No, speaker wire doesn't normally come with speakers. You'll need to determine how much you need. If you have a cable/sat box, you may need to bypass the AVR running an optical cable to the AVR for surround audio. Also, if you want to pass any sources to Zone 2, you'll need to connect analog RCA (red/white) cables from the source to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10502 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenvalycali View Post

Just a quick question. I have music on my Android phone and I would like to play it through my receiver via usb. Can and How do I do this? Receiver is a 2112ci. Thank you.

Have you tried simply connecting it to the USB jack?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #10503 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Batpig/Jsmoothie - My HDMI negotiation issues were resolved by using a HDMI switch.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1402989

You may want to blurb this workaround in the FAQ as its helped other people on the boards as well.

Although recommended as a solution with HTPC HDMI handshake issues, I'll add it as another general option for other devices as well. Thanks.

post #10504 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchgould View Post

2ND ZONE...When I have Zone 2 playing the tuner and zone one on standby, id I open itunes and switch the speakers to Denon 2112 the tuner stops playing on zone 2 and then itunes tries unsuccessfully to connect to AVR-2112.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

If using Airplay, it tends to take over the AVR when used.

post #10505 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Perhaps a defective cable. Why did you change the cable in the first place? Change it back and see if the issue remains. Also go back to HDMI2 and see if the issue remains.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately not a defective cable - checked with another, both of which worked perfectly prior to the change.

The conections between PS3 and AMP did not change (still PS3-HDMI1-TV). Only the cable itself. Now I plug it into any of the inputs (BD, Game1, Game2) and still nothing. The GUI says "[No Input]; Source:PS3; Mode:PLII Cinema". The TV, however, does not say there is no signal (whereas it does if I select an unused HDMi source).

The change was so that the HTPC goes straight to the TV with optical audio (the graphics card fan was being really noisy with both video and audio being outputted through the card for some reason).
post #10506 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Does the original PS3 HDMI cable work? Why was it changed? Try setting the PS3 "Deep Color Output" to OFF.

post #10507 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 05:30 PM

Hi All,

My recently-acquired Denon 2312 is connected to a pair of Dynaudio X12s and one MartinLogan Dynamo 500 subwoofer. There is no sound output to the subwoofer during ordinary listening.

During Audyssey setup and in the Menu>System Setup>Speaker Setup>Channel Level>Test Tone Start, the 2312 outputs sound through the sub just fine. However, when playing music there is no output to the sub.

I set the front speakers to small and experimented with crossover frequencies ranging from 80Hz to 200Hz, playing test sound mp3 files from my Media Server. The 2312 simply sends all sounds to the front speakers and nothing to the sub.

Audyssey-detected settings:
Front: Large
Front L: +1.0dB
Front R: +2.0dB
Subwoofer: -9.5dB
Crossover freq: Front: Full band (it seems Audyssey doesn't want to crossover at all)

My settings:
Bass settings: Subwoofer mode: LFE
Bass settings: LPF for LFE: 120Hz
Crossover Freq: 150Hz (I tried a range but this is an example setting -- shouldn't this override the Audyssey-detected setting?)

Symptoms:
1. No sound from the sub. Various test tones I tried ranging from 50Hz upwards play through the front speakers; nothing goes to the sub.
2. If I go to Menu>System Setup>Speaker Setup>Channel Level>Test Tone Start, the 2312 plays sound through the sub.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated. Thank you!
post #10508 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arajeev View Post

Hi All,

My recently-acquired Denon 2312 is connected to a pair of Dynaudio X12s and one MartinLogan Dynamo 500 subwoofer. There is no sound output to the subwoofer during ordinary listening.

During Audyssey setup and in the Menu>System Setup>Speaker Setup>Channel Level>Test Tone Start, the 2312 outputs sound through the sub just fine. However, when playing music there is no output to the sub.

I set the front speakers to small and experimented with crossover frequencies ranging from 80Hz to 200Hz, playing test sound mp3 files from my Media Server. The 2312 simply sends all sounds to the front speakers and nothing to the sub.

Audyssey-detected settings:
Front: Large
Front L: +1.0dB
Front R: +2.0dB
Subwoofer: -9.5dB
Crossover freq: Front: Full band (it seems Audyssey doesn't want to crossover at all)

My settings:
Bass settings: Subwoofer mode: LFE
Bass settings: LPF for LFE: 120Hz
Crossover Freq: 150Hz (I tried a range but this is an example setting -- shouldn't this override the Audyssey-detected setting?)

Symptoms:
1. No sound from the sub. Various test tones I tried ranging from 50Hz upwards play through the front speakers; nothing goes to the sub.
2. If I go to Menu>System Setup>Speaker Setup>Channel Level>Test Tone Start, the 2312 plays sound through the sub.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If you are using Stereo/Direct mode they have their own settings. Go to Manual Setup/Audio Setup/2ch Direct/Stereo and for Settings try using Basic.
post #10509 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Hey guys,
I just picked up a 2112ci. When I first hooked it up and ran through the setup everything seemed to be working great. I tested it with all my devices and noticed I was able to select all of the different modes (dolby digital, dts, PLII cinema, etc.). The next day, none of those modes were listed anymore and it was defaulting to multi channel in. I don't know if I changed something while stepping through the menu options, but nothing I've tried has restored those modes. Anyone know what might have caused this?
Thanks!
post #10510 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
the surround mode options depend on the INPUT SIGNAL that the receiver is getting.

see here: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

no setting on the receiver will change the input signal, that has to do with the SOURCE. learning how to check the input signal the receiver is getting is the first step in any surround mode troubleshooting, as that will dictate what surround modes are available (e.g. if it's not getting Dolby Digital, then Dolby Digital won't be an option!)

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10511 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

If you are using Stereo/Direct mode they have their own settings. Go to Manual Setup/Audio Setup/2ch Direct/Stereo and for Settings try using Basic.

Spager, that worked!! Apparently the 2ch/direct stereo settings go into effect if a 2.1 setup is detected, and I had to specify small speakers and select the crossover frequency there. Many thanks!
post #10512 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM

Hi all - Received my 1912 the other day. Airplay worked flawlessly up until I performed a firmware update (to resolve a Rhapsody log on issue). Now however, my Airplay icon disappears after several minutes from both my PC and Ipad2 (while still having network connectivity to Pandora). When I unplug/replug the cat5 cable from behind the receiver, the Airplay icon temporarily reappears on both devices. I have tried a system and network reset, and have both DHCP and network standby set to "on'. I have searched this forum and googled the web, but am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue.

I have tried the troubleshooting steps in 12a... recycled router, static IP, unplug the receiver for 10 minutes.

Thanks again.
post #10513 of 19198 Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the surround mode options depend on the INPUT SIGNAL that the receiver is getting.

see here: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

no setting on the receiver will change the input signal, that has to do with the SOURCE. learning how to check the input signal the receiver is getting is the first step in any surround mode troubleshooting, as that will dictate what surround modes are available (e.g. if it's not getting Dolby Digital, then Dolby Digital won't be an option!)

Thanks batpig - great site and info! So, if I understand correctly then, I'm showing Multi Channel as the mode type because I'm getting the raw PCM from the source device and I don't need to worry that it's not saying "Dolby", "DTS","Neo" etc. on the display. (Meaning that the receiver isn't receiving one of the compressed codecs, and therefore is not handling decoding which is why the receiver isn't listing the various modes as available options?)

Just for my better understanding, do you have any idea why the first day I set it up all modes were available (cycling through with the Movie button) but are no longer there, considering nothing changed in my setup?
post #10514 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Because there was a change to the BDP settings ... most likely it was reset to it's factory default setting of PCM.

post #10515 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajeev View Post

Spager, that worked!! Apparently the 2ch/direct stereo settings go into effect if a 2.1 setup is detected, and I had to specify small speakers and select the crossover frequency there. Many thanks!

Note that regardless of how many speakers are used, if there is a sub in the setup, you'll want to manually change ALL speakers to SMALL with a minimum of 80hz crossovers (ie. not just in the STERE0/DIRECT section).

post #10516 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamic View Post

Hi all - Received my 1912 the other day. Airplay worked flawlessly up until I performed a firmware update (to resolve a Rhapsody log on issue). Now however, my Airplay icon disappears after several minutes from both my PC and Ipad2 (while still having network connectivity to Pandora). When I unplug/replug the cat5 cable from behind the receiver, the Airplay icon temporarily reappears on both devices. I have tried a system and network reset, and have both DHCP and network standby set to "on'. I have searched this forum and googled the web, but am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue.

I have tried the troubleshooting steps in 12a... recycled router, static IP, unplug the receiver for 10 minutes.

Thanks again.

Although it's always possible that a firmware update can have an adverse effect on one of the features of the AVR, unless others report the same issue, it's more likely related to your router.

post #10517 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:

^^
Does the original PS3 HDMI cable work? Why was it changed? Try setting the PS3 "Deep Color Output" to OFF.

Changed due to my OCD towards matching cables (and used elsewhere in the system).

I've changed it back and now everything miraculously works (that'll teach me).

PS3 setting was already set to off.

Many thanks jd et al!
post #10518 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Thought I'd post a review for anyone not already steeped deeply in the world of AVRs. I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I remain convinced that it hits a nice sweet spot in price/performance. Not sure if terms like mid-fi mean much anymore, but I'm happy with the purchase of the 1712, which I might otherwise categorize as an entry level mid-fi A/V receiver.

My sources are Apple TV, Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi, and HD cable service. Speakers are PSB Alpha B1s in front, an Alpha C1 center, Dayton HSU10 subwoofer, and unknown built-in surround speakers. The 5.1 setup is in a medium-to-large main room, and there's an additional pair of built-in speakers in another room. With Apple TV and Wi-Fi Blu-ray, I didn't require networking in the receiver, but I could use second-zone functionality, even though that wasn't a priority. I just wanted to upgrade from a pre-HDMI receiver and retain as much audio quality with as few extraneous features as possible for the money.

I wanted to spend enough to get me out of the cheap tier, but not so much as to incur excessive bells and whistles or capability beyond my modest needs. I appreciate serious listening to a well-produced CD of a performance, but the reality is I rarely do that, and the bulk of my A/V receiver duty is for cable HDTV and streaming compressed rock music (at most 320 kbps), often with five-channel output for music while doing other things, which is not exactly the audiophile standard. Nevertheless, for the incremental dollar spent, my priority was quality audio, while being realistic about how good I need my components to be.

I narrowed down my search to the 1712 and the Marantz NR1402, which were the most compelling local offerings at $400, which seemed like a prudent price point. Other brands had less favorable mixes of features at the price, and stepping up to the entry level of the next tier of performance brands (NAD, Rotel) would double the investment. Yamaha seemed more apt to load up features for the price, Onkyo skipped the price point, Harmon Kardon seemed to have lost its luster, and I just didn't like the look of the Pioneer.

Marantz and Denon have the same parent company, so there's nothing to distinguish them at the corporate level. The Marantz probably fit my profile better with simplicity and proportionally greater audio quality with fewer features at the price point (at least in theory). I even listened to both in the showroom before buying, not that I expected to hear much distinction between them, particularly in that environment. So, with no discernable audio disadvantage and with the upgraded Audyssey version and multi-room capability in the 1712 for the same price, I bought the Denon.

One edge both the 1712 and 1402 have over alternatives is the Audyssey automatic audio calibration. I buy into this because I figure that the real-world room acoustics start to limit high fidelity quicker than expenditure on equipment will, and automatic calibration addresses that. Audyssey seemed superior to that of other makes, particularly at the price point, and particularly for the 1712, which has a more sophisticated version than the 1402.

It takes a while to get comfortable with the menus, and the manual can be vague, but everything you need is ultimately there, and you can maneuver around adeptly once you get used to it. There's good support in AVSforum for both the receiver itself and for the Audyssey software. Switching sources is much easier than it was with the pre-HDMI receiver, but still a bit fiddly. My wife is much more amenable to the new setup, although it remains complicated enough to completely discourage her mother.

As with many receivers, the second zone function only accepts analog signals, so you have to use parallel analog audio outputs (along with the primary HDMI connections) with your sources that you want to play in the second zone. Apple TV does not have analog output, so you might consider an Airport Express for iTunes audio streaming, or buy a simple converter for the optical digital audio output of the Apple TV. I opt to switch the speaker setup settings from zone 2 operation to front speaker B, which means the front left/right channels will play in the second room. But this setting still won't play multichannel in the main room and full stereo in the second roomit'll only duplicate the front left/right channels from the main room to the second room, which won't be full stereo if the main room is playing a multichannel format. So I just make sure I use stereo playback when using the front B arrangement. It's a hassle, but a minor hassle for how often I actually use it. I could have stepped up to a networking receiver that included Apple's Airplay, but for the extra $150 that would entail, I'm content to endure some inconvenience and get most of the same thing (not to mention that getting a $99 Express would still be cheaper).

It's odd to write a home theater component review that doesn't say much about sound, but, ironically, sound quality really isn't a primary distinguishing decision factor, especially for receivers within a close price range. Like I said, it was impossible to pick the 1712 and 1402 apart in a listening test in the showroom. That said, the 1712 sounds great, and is certainly not the limiting factor in my rig. I find that the high end of the frequency range sounds harsh when I push it hard (up to -10 db), but that's most likely due to the modest speakersthey're among the best bookshelf units available, but they're still bookshelf speakers. There's just going to be limits on the extent to which you can rock out on them. But at normal listening levels, detail in either music or video soundtrack is impressive. Instruments sound like instruments, not like abstract noises that sound like instruments. And there's plenty of boom and crash in movie soundtracks.

Soon Denon will be rolling out new products, so the 1712 will likely become discounted from the $400. That's a great value for sure. I managed to get $50 knocked off at the local big box store just for asking, although I was also buying an entry-level Blu-ray player in the same transaction, and it was a weekday afternoon.
post #10519 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

^^
Yes, 7(g), thanks. And yes, the use of the on board Airplay is restricted as I describe. A work around is to purchase an Apple TV which can then play a separate source to Zone 2 while another source plays in the main zone (although with the ATV2, you must also add an optical --> analog converter as well, as only analog connected sources can pass to Zone 2 with the 2112CI). The new XX13 models will be announced next month so we'll know at that time whether there has been any change to this current Airplay restriction. And yes, Pioneer AVRs do not have this restriction.

Any idea when the new xx13 models are going to be announced? beginning or end of April?
post #10520 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a Denon 2112 and I want to use the dnla on my tv to watch movies over my network. Is there a way that the tv will stream the video and the receiver do the audio with only the one hdmi from the tv to the receiver or is that a "one way street" only to feed the signal to the tv only? Netflix is the same way, I can stream it to the tv but there is no audio on the receiver. Am I doing something wrong or is it not made to do this? I want to avoid hooking up any other cables from the reciever to the tv. Thoughts?
post #10521 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post

I narrowed down my search to the 1712 and the Marantz NR1402, which were the most compelling local offerings at $400, which seemed like a prudent price point.

Good decision to go with 1712. Marantz has only 5 channel power amp. If you want to use 7.1 with 1402, you will need an external power amp to drive the SB spk.

Quote:

My wife is much more amenable to the new setup, although it remains complicated enough to completely discourage her mother.

That is where "Harmony" (and peace) is..
post #10522 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
2112CI owners..

Is it possible to run Audyssey over the network (from your home computer/laptop) with this AVR?
post #10523 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

^

You must use the remote to go through the Auto Setup although you can change the Audyssey settings with the Web Control feature.

You can also control your avr through the web control feature from your computer/laptop as well as Save and Load your settings.
post #10524 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I have a Denon 2112 and I want to use the dnla on my tv to watch movies over my network. Is there a way that the tv will stream the video and the receiver do the audio with only the one hdmi from the tv to the receiver or is that a "one way street" only to feed the signal to the tv only? Netflix is the same way, I can stream it to the tv but there is no audio on the receiver. Am I doing something wrong or is it not made to do this? I want to avoid hooking up any other cables from the reciever to the tv. Thoughts?

If your tv has arc you can send it back with only 1 hdmi cable that you have already run. On the Avr side make sure Hdmi control is set to On. If not you will need to run an optical digital cable from the tv to the avr.
post #10525 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM

THANK YOU! Just needed to switch it on! Thank you very much

Edit: spoke to soon, I was using netflix on the br player and not the tv. Turned on hdmi control but still no sound. Tv does have arc. I will keep trying. Not sure why but I am having a heck of a time accessing the menu. Menu button just does not seem to want to work but everything else does. This is getting frustrating fast.
post #10526 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

^

Try hitting amp first before menu. Also try hitting tv as a source on your avr remote to receive audio from tv.
post #10527 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Tryed that. Found that I need to push source select first to get the menu button to work. I only have BR assigned so the other buttons except v aux do nothing. Maybe that is my problem. I just set it up as blu ray since there is just blu ray to receiver then from reciever to tv via hdmi.
Edit: Went through the set up to add "tv" for input and it only has the option of optical. I guess I can crawl back there and add the tos, would rather use the hdmi but I just can't figure it out. I will fiddle with it a little more.

another edit: Found a stupid "vierra link" button on my tvs remote that I can switch the speaker ouput to the receiver and when I select it, the Denon "clicks" but still can't get any sound. I'm getting closer. Then I read a post that said that the audio quaility is the same if I use an optical connection (page 1 of this thread) as hdmi. I didn't think that was true.... I will keep at this a little more.

Final edit: I gave up and just did the tos optical cable. Sounds perfect to my ears!
post #10528 of 19198 Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalz View Post

Thanks batpig - great site and info! So, if I understand correctly then, I'm showing Multi Channel as the mode type because I'm getting the raw PCM from the source device and I don't need to worry that it's not saying "Dolby", "DTS","Neo" etc. on the display. (Meaning that the receiver isn't receiving one of the compressed codecs, and therefore is not handling decoding which is why the receiver isn't listing the various modes as available options?)

Just for my better understanding, do you have any idea why the first day I set it up all modes were available (cycling through with the Movie button) but are no longer there, considering nothing changed in my setup?

Turns out there was something else I didn't realize. Different channels on DirecTv output in different modes. This led to part of my confusion over the available modes disappearing. ^^
post #10529 of 19198 Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post

Any idea when the new xx13 models are going to be announced? beginning or end of April?

Last year it was in the 2nd week IIRC although don't know when for sure this month.

post #10530 of 19198 Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

THANK YOU! Just needed to switch it on! Thank you very much

Edit: spoke to soon, I was using netflix on the br player and not the tv. Turned on hdmi control but still no sound. Tv does have arc. I will keep trying. Not sure why but I am having a heck of a time accessing the menu. Menu button just does not seem to want to work but everything else does. This is getting frustrating fast.

In order for ARC to work, both HDMI-Control (AVR) and HDMI-CEC (VieraLink) must be enabled as well as generally setting the TV to pass audio to "external speakers."

Quote:

Tryed that. Found that I need to push source select first to get the menu button to work. I only have BR assigned so the other buttons except v aux do nothing. Maybe that is my problem. I just set it up as blu ray since there is just blu ray to receiver then from reciever to tv via hdmi.
Edit: Went through the set up to add "tv" for input and it only has the option of optical. I guess I can crawl back there and add the tos, would rather use the hdmi but I just can't figure it out. I will fiddle with it a little more.

another edit: Found a stupid "vierra link" button on my tvs remote that I can switch the speaker ouput to the receiver and when I select it, the Denon "clicks" but still can't get any sound. I'm getting closer. Then I read a post that said that the audio quaility is the same if I use an optical connection (page 1 of this thread) as hdmi. I didn't think that was true.... I will keep at this a little more.

Final edit: I gave up and just did the tos optical cable. Sounds perfect to my ears!

When HDMI Control is ON, HDMI cannot be selected for TV. And yes, optical or HDMI audio is the same quality when passing audio from the TV as the best that a TV can pass is generally only DD 5.1.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page