post #10681 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

Oh man, I just had to drop a post here because I'm so ecstatic. I just sold a Pioneer 1121 recently because I was sick and tired of all of its quirky problems. When I decided to give Denon a shot with their AVR-1712, I was hoping for better reliability.

What I didn't expect was the sound quality of this receiver making all my speakers and subwoofer just sound absolutely incredible! There's a warmth and full quality to the sound of this receiver that it truly puts my old Pioneer 1121 to shame. It must be Denon's discrete amplifiers or something because I've never heard a receiver that made my speakers sounds this good.

I watched Transformers, Jurassic Park and am watching Stargate right now. I'm just marveling at how clean, refined and dynamic the sound is. I'll never go back to Pioneer receivers again. Denon's got my attention!

It might be audyssey that is making the difference. It is possible your Pioneer could produce the same sound if you manually adjusted the eq settings, but who has time for that....?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
... exactly. The antiquated but still too common notion that different receiver brands have their own unique "special sauce" of parts or design choices which alters sound quality in one direction or another needs to die already. Such perceived differences can be accounted for in a number of trivially different ways. Even with that understood, I can readily see someone not knowing why a different receiver sometimes ends up sounding better to them and having no real interest in knowing exactly why. Simply enjoying the pleasing result. A well-applied implementation of Audyssey (or other EQ types) would be one of the few ways in which a genuine difference can be made.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #10683 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to decide between the onkyo 709 and the denon 2312 the major thing that has been confusing me is that the only onkyo says it delivers it's watts with only 2 channels driven but the denon says that it delivers 105 wats all 7 channels driven... does anybody know if the denon is that much more powerful than the onkyo? Or are both receivers going to be compareable with power?
post #10684 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
^^
No it's not ... the Denon is rated into 2 CH as well, although Denon models will often bench fairly close to the "marketed" rating (ie. 105W) with 5CH. Regardless, a difference of even 20-30W is not likely to be noticeable unless the AVR volume is maxed out in a large room.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10685 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
Thx for all the feedback looks like Denon 1912 and lower models all have a slight yellow/green power ring light. All higher models share the typical dark green Denon signature color.
post #10686 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post

My room lighting is no light use at all. Power button ring color is dim not green or bright/neon color like other models I've seen at the store I guess not the signature green you see on most Denon.

I can say that for 2112 and 3312, the signature green OR red are the only two colors I've seen on my AVRs' power buttons.
post #10687 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I can say that for 2112 and 3312, the signature green OR red are the only two colors I've seen on my AVRs' power buttons.

Yes, the In Command Series was what I had in mind until I saw 1912 was marked down
post #10688 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkiteboarder View Post

This has me really befuddled, but the sound quality I get on the internet radio stations just blows away all of my local content on the 2112ci. Specifically 1.fm. Has anyone else noticed this? Bass hits harder and when I switch from internet radio to a DLNA source the volume drops and I have to turn it up. I have tried high quality VBR mp3s and flac files and get the same results. I've also tried using WMP12, foobar2000, and Air Play and get the same results. As a last resort I loaded some content to my Ipod touch and plugged straight to the USB port on the front of the receiver and get the same results. I can't seem to find an answer searching the forums. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

YES!
Dont know why but ya .

May the Force be with you.
post #10689 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasied View Post

I'm trying to decide between the onkyo 709 and the denon 2312 the major thing that has been confusing me is that the only onkyo says it delivers it's watts with only 2 channels driven but the denon says that it delivers 105 wats all 7 channels driven... does anybody know if the denon is that much more powerful than the onkyo? Or are both receivers going to be compareable with power?

Do yourself a favor and go with the Denon.

May the Force be with you.
post #10690 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thx for all the feedback looks like Denon 1912 and lower models all have a slight yellow/green power ring light. All higher models share the typical dark green Denon signature color.

I would classify the color of it on my 1912 as a lime green tinted yellow. Definitely not green.
post #10691 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM

In the original post regarding ARC settings (below):

Quote:

e. ARC (Audio Return Channel): This is the feature that will pass audio from the TV (eg. OTA, Netflix, Pandora) back to the AVR over the same HDMI cable that connects the AVR from the Monitor Out jack to the TV. In order for the ARC feature to work, it must be offered on both the TV and the AVR. Just because the TV and AVR are HDMI 1.4 DOES NOT mean they offer the ARC feature. Note the 1312 does NOT offer ARC and therefore ARC will not work when the 1312 is connected to a TV with ARC.

In order to use the TV's ARC feature you must set the TV's "HDMI-CEC" setting (LG - SimpLink; Phillips - EasyLink; Panasonic - VieraLink; Sony - BraviaSync; Samsung - Anynet+; Toshiba - CE-Link,RegzaLink) to ON as well as setting the AVR's "HDMI Control" setting to ON as the factory default is OFF. Some TV's also require the audio to be set to external speakers (eg. Samsung - set to Home Theater). Also make sure the HDMI cable from the AVR is plugged into the ARC labeled jack on the TV (eg. HDMI1 - Panasonic, HDMI2 - Samsung). Note that with the 3312CI, only one of the HDMI Monitor Out jacks will support the ARC feature at a time and must be set using the HDMI Control (Control Monitor) setting (p. 109). Once these settings are made, turn all devices OFF for a few minutes and then ON again ... TV then AVR.

Note that a side effect when using the TV's HDMI-CEC/ARC set to ON is that the AVR will always shift to the "TV" source input when first turned ON rather than going to the last input that was on prior to the AVR being put into Standby (as is the case when ARC is OFF). Note also that with some TVs (ie. Samsung) the AVR will also revert to the TV input while in Standby which will prevent you from using the HDMI pass through feature (eg. cable/sat box) without turning the HDMI-CEC setting on the TV to OFF. If this is too annoying, either turn off the HDMI-CEC/ARC setting on the TV when not using it or forgo the ARC feature (set HDMI-CEC/ARC to OFF) and use an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. The optical cable will pass the same audio (PCM 2.0 or DD 5.1) that the HDMI cable would have passed with no loss in audio quality. Another option, if not trying to pass aaudio from the TV back to the AVR is to simply delete the "TV" source using the SOURCE DELETE feature in the OPTION menu.

If you have the cable/sat box connected directly to the TV (eg. due to an HDMI handshake issue), check your TV owner's manual to see if the TV will pass DD 5.1 from connected sources when using the ARC connection (as in some cases the audio is down mixed to stereo only). If not, then connect an optical cable from the sat/cable box to the AVR instead.

I was determined to get this setup to work with my Samsung TV and Denon receiver. Since reading and testing the HDMI-CEC (ARC) setting and seeing how it changes over to TV I finally worked a solution using my Harmony 3000 remote with placing a final two commands once all the devices were on. 1st of the two commands was to place a delay of 10 minutes then 2nd command was to send to receiver the Sat/Cbl and this worked, just enough delay time when it switched to TV to then switch it back....just a little determination but now I can utilize the SmartHub from TV and keep the audio consistent.
post #10692 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I've read that yellow to lime-tinted green lights can denote sickly sound quality, where as solid green suggests a healthy, robust receiver product.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #10693 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie828 View Post

In the original post regarding ARC settings (below):

I was determined to get this setup to work with my Samsung TV and Denon receiver. Since reading and testing the HDMI-CEC (ARC) setting and seeing how it changes over to TV I finally worked a solution using my Harmony 3000 remote with placing a final two commands once all the devices were on. 1st of the two commands was to place a delay of 10 minutes then 2nd command was to send to receiver the Sat/Cbl and this worked, just enough delay time when it switched to TV to then switch it back....just a little determination but now I can utilize the SmartHub from TV and keep the audio consistent.

come again?
post #10694 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie828 View Post

Yes, this is what folks with universal/programmable remotes (eg. Harmony) usually do to resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitznFish View Post

come again?

He likely meant 10 "seconds."

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #10695 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Help me please....

I know that may lead to my Denon 3312 when connected via HDMI 1 an Oppo bluray to make a strange noise and misses the central channel.

Fails to produce sound when the center channel does sound as if they shut down and latch on
post #10696 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I went through all of the Restorer modes, and it did not seem to help. I would be convinced it was a source problem if it wasn't for me trying different lossy and lossless formats.
post #10697 of 19185 Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post

YES!
Dont know why but ya .

Well at least I know I'm not alone, lol!
post #10698 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I purchased the port saver you linked to from Monoprice back in February for my AVR-3311CI because I found that sometimes the Monitor Out connection came loose after I had pulled the receiver out of its shelf to disconnect the power cable for a cold reboot (fortunately, I haven't had to reboot in the last couple of months). However, I have been hesitating to attach the port saver because a Denon CSR told me I would void my warranty by doing so. It seems that to make the connection it would be necessary to remove the screw holding the HDMI port to the chassis in order to use the screw hole for the port saver screw, and I'm wondering whether that could lead to complications, particularly if there is nothing else holding the HDMI port in place.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
I can't imagine how using a port saver would effect the integrity of the AVR. If I had a loose HDMI jack and the port saver resolved the issue, I'd use it.

Quote:

It's important to note that not every port saver has a "locking screw" attached.

Thank you for pointing out that distinction. I was of course referring to the locking port saver.
post #10699 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 AM

I just want to thank everyone for there input in the past. Love reading the posts and they helped make up my mind in getting the 1712. I just received it last night and I'm eager to set everything up tonight.

Couple of questions as I am a total NOOB with a Home Theater setup.

Subwoofer Connection (Pok PSW10)
Polk I have does not have an LFE in Just and L and R Line In on the back. I have the setting to place the Sub in before running Audessy but will any RCA Cable work? Do I need to split the cable at the Sub? If not does it matter with line in I use (L or R). I saw a 12ft RCA Cable at local big box for $5.

Wire Connections
I prewired the basement with 14Gauge for the back surrounds and the front heights (I will be using 7.1 with front height).
For the Front L and R and the Center Channel can I use 16 Gauge? Does the Lengh of each need to be the same?
Should I get banana Plugs to terminate or can I strip off about 1/2" and terminate directly to the Receiver and Speakers (Energy Take Classics)?

Finally (I think!)
Receiver Setup
Will I be given a speaker location (as front highs) if I choose 7.1 as my surround setup? I am a little pressed for time this weekend (traveling), but I am eager to set the Audessesy up. How long does it take? Can I rerun later?

Again...total rookie at this whole thing and was never an audiophile. But the Teens wanted an area to relax with their friends and the Wife and I want an area to watch a good movie in. I want to thank all of you that have contributed to this forum!
post #10700 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Can someone please clarify after reading thread on page one about sub setp. Once Audyssey is finalized I then can switch sub power back to "auto" power on and turn off my crossover frequency (let receiver do this job) since I plug directly to sub. It says to not make any adjustments after running Audyssey i assume its just ex...volume.
post #10701 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, you can change the Power from "ON" to "AUTO", rather that caution is only referring to not changing the volume/gain on the sub.

post #10702 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

^^
Yes, you can change the Power from "ON" to "AUTO", rather that caution is only referring to not changing the volume/gain on the sub.

Thx, I'm new to Denon and I'm coming from Onkyo Integra 8 year old receiver
post #10703 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko View Post

Subwoofer Connection (Pok PSW10)
Polk I have does not have an LFE in Just and L and R Line In on the back. I have the setting to place the Sub in before running Audessy but will any RCA Cable work? Do I need to split the cable at the Sub? If not does it matter with line in I use (L or R). I saw a 12ft RCA Cable at local big box for $5.

Wire Connections
I prewired the basement with 14Gauge for the back surrounds and the front heights (I will be using 7.1 with front height).
For the Front L and R and the Center Channel can I use 16 Gauge? Does the Lengh of each need to be the same?
Should I get banana Plugs to terminate or can I strip off about 1/2" and terminate directly to the Receiver and Speakers (Energy Take Classics)?

Finally (I think!)
Receiver Setup
Will I be given a speaker location (as front highs) if I choose 7.1 as my surround setup? I am a little pressed for time this weekend (traveling), but I am eager to set the Audessesy up. How long does it take? Can I rerun later?

1. Generally plugging in the sub cable to the "L" input will suffice, although do what the mfr suggests. As far as the cable, you'll want to use a 75Ω digital coax cable .

2. You can mix the wire and the length doesn't have to be exactly the same. Although banana plugs make connection easier, using straight bare wire is fine as well.

3. The front height speakers should be above each of the front main (FL/FR) speakers and attached to the ceiling or has high up the front wall as possible (ie. goal is to get the most separation from the front main speakers). AUTO SETUP should take no more than about 20 minutes as you'll want to run all 8 mic positions to provide more data points; however, you can run AUTO SETUP as often as you want, if you only have time for a few mic positions on your initial setup.

post #10704 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Audyssey setup competed and was curious if sub channel is (-11.5) am I still good I have my system setup in small living room. There's plenty of base and Dynamic Eq (evening) is used.
post #10705 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Audyssey setup competed and was curious if sub channel is (-11.5) am I still good I have my system setup in small living room. There's plenty of base and Dynamic Eq (evening) is used.

It's calibrated but most like it to be under 10 so you have some wiggle room to have the ability to turn down the base a few db if desired. I would turn down the sub base a couple of notches and rerun Audyssey.
post #10706 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've read that it's ok to adjust volume levels of individual channels if you want to after running audyssey but you just don't want to make any tonal adjustments or eqaulizer adjustments to anything. I also read you should try to get your audyssey level on the bass above -10 if you can. All you would need to do is decrease the gain on the sub and rerun audyssey and repeat until you get a number above -10. I turned my gain down to 25% and still got a -12 on mine. I just haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

I like my LFE to be really loud anyway. I turned the gain back up to 50% and the level to -3 when watching movies anyway so it's not a big deal in my setup.
post #10707 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
May be an odd question.. But..

How does Onkyo NR-809 compare to either 1712 or 2112ci.
With new Onkyo's announced, NR-809 is popping up with clearance deals.. The feature set is tempting..
post #10708 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Have a PS3 slim and a new 1912, old receiver was a Onkyo 607. I can't seem to get "True HD" sound. Have all HDMI 1.4 cables. I am using Dark night as a test movie. Have flipped and flopped the setting so many times I am not sure were to start again, And yes it worked on the 607. Has anybody had a similar issue. Any help would be great. Thanks.. Maybe a clear head.
post #10709 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda109 View Post

Have a PS3 slim and a new 1912, old receiver was a Onkyo 607. I can't seem to get "True HD" sound. Have all HDMI 1.4 cables. I am using Dark night as a test movie. Have flipped and flopped the setting so many times I am not sure were to start again, And yes it worked on the 607. Has anybody had a similar issue. Any help would be great. Thanks.. Maybe a clear head.

Try setting your ps3 to bitstream the codecs will show up on the avr. If you use pcm the ps3 will do the decoding and the avr will show Multi Ch Stereo on your avr. Both ways are the correct codecs being used and the same sound quality. Most prefer to use bitstream so they can see the codecs on the avr.
post #10710 of 19185 Old 04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

May be an odd question.. But..

How does Onkyo NR-809 compare to either 1712 or 2112ci.
With new Onkyo's announced, NR-809 is popping up with clearance deals.. The feature set is tempting..

The 809 is on the same level as the 3312 which is discounted by many online resellers as well. Go to pg. 1 of this forum and check out the difference in features on the 12 series Denons,

They both use the advanced Audyssey so the SQ will be on par with each other. Choose the one that has the features you are looking for.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page