post #11251 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddnMiss View Post

1. I didn't have an "on-screen" view of my volume level on my 2308ci, but, I don't recall really going over 1/2 way up the volume scale to get the volume I wanted (big booming bass, etc). I really have to push the 2112 pretty high (at over above -0db or at about 80 on the reference volume scale). It doesn't seem like there's much more there left and I'm not used to turning a volume over 1/2 way. I was mainly wondering if there was a power difference, a perception difference or if mine was malfunctioning (the speaker setup is the same).

Although the 2308CI is a 100W AVR and both the 1712 and 2112CI are 90W AVRs, there shouldn't be much difference in power. You can't compare how much more you turn the volume on the 1712 as it has been attenuated to achieve a "reference" volume at 0db, whereas the 2308CI had no such capability.

Quote:

2. Cool, I may play with doing that tomorrow (it's late now everyone is sleeping). It's possible that having this on is changing the sound to my ears. I didn't adjust anything on the older 2308 or the Sony that was doing time before I made this purchase and maybe this feature is correcting something to where it should be and my ears are tuned to what it shouldn't be (always hard to go with preference vs. what should be I suppose - just like with PQ).

Set Dyn EQ to ON and Dyn Vol to OFF.

Quote:

3. It sounds like I should turn this off when watching movies. But, it doesn't seem to be an easy on/off option either. I have younger users in my house - but they're actually better with technology than my "better half." One of the plusses on the newer Denon is the "buttons with pictures" that she can just push to move between videos. Additionally, the pass-through is a huge plus over the 2308.

Two options ... either get a Harmony remote which has the option to cycle through the Dyn Vol settings, or use two Quick Selects, one for Dyn Vol ON and one for it OFF when the BDP source is selected.

Quote:

4. Laughter... Fairly. I actually manage tech support for the largest company in the world (Market Cap as of writing) and I gave up after a couple attempts. In short, I get to the part where I'm supposed to enter a code but no reference for where to get the code... that's where I dropped the effort. The Comcast remote was very easy to program, but it only is effective in turning on/off and controlling volume (there's one plus, pressing the "4" will switch to my Cable/DVR - but no other button will go to other HDMI/short-cut options... the Sony I'd use the 1/4/7 to go between the three I have setup).

Yeh .. I have to laugh as well. I can't tell you how many times someone will profess their technical background (which is irrelevant actually) yet fail to realize that it's not about that at all, rather it's simply about following directions, something most guys have a hard time with, especially when it involves reading an Owner's manual. The GUI feature has made it much easier in fact then in the day of your 2308. If you follow the steps on pp. 75-76, you select the brand and then model of the device and in Step 8 (as shown in the GUI) the "code" is displayed which you would then enter at Step 11.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyav View Post

1712 color space update.

Called Denon and was told "Japan tells us nothing"
and called a service center and was told we are unaware of any firmware for the 1712

I was able to get the same brightness calibration with just a DVD player directly to the TV and also through the 1712. I used a THX optimizer dvd I had.

Also i messed around with my main video source(computer) and have found a setup that gives me black on a black screen weather i use 16-235 setting in my TV and also non-standard(0-255).

So I believe it is sending 0-255.

Am I correct?

The reason I think the 1712 may have not been effected is because it does no video conversion. ie component in to hdmi out.

Thanks for posting about this issue. I am still getting to know my 1712, but I am interested because I use an HTPC for most media access. Hopefully soon I can run some tests (need to find a test disk or online pgm to produce the white/black gradients) and contribute results for my unit (looks like it was built Jan 1, 2012). Although currently just trying to handle the basics of the 1712, which I am finding a bit difficult.
post #11253 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple of questions as I continue to play around with my 1712.

Without going back through auto-setup, how can I change the default "off/day/evening/etc." setting for Dynamic Volume for each of my inputs? The default setting is currently "off", which means if I want DV, I'm changing it every time I switch between inputs.

I believe the answer to this is "no" based on what I've read. On my old Sony receiver, I had hooked up this type of cable to a random input and was able to hook up my iPod or Droid phone and play music. I tried this afternoon to hook the same able up to CD and DVD, but couldn't even get the receiver to switch over to those inputs. Does this set-up not work on the Denons? Is there another workaround?

As always, thanks in advance!
post #11254 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Simply select each device and you can change the Dyn Volume setting within the device's setup menu (p. 56).

2. Yes it is possible. Because the 1712 has no USB, a 3.5mm to RCA cable is the best way to connect the iPod to the AVR. Not sure what you mean by the AVR wouldn't switch over as you must manually select the CD input???

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #11255 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
1. Simply select each device and you can change the Dyn Volume setting within the device's setup menu (p. 56).

2. Yes it is possible. Because the 1712 has no USB, a 3.5mm to RCA cable is the best way to connect the iPod to the AVR. Not sure what you mean by the AVR wouldn't switch over as you must manually select the CD input???

Thanks for the reply.

1) Is there a way to change the default setting to "Day"? When I ran auto-setup, I set it to "Off". I can change it to day, but when I switch to BD, and back to STB, it switches back to "Off". Or, do I have to re-run the auto-setup entirely?

2) I did try to select "CD", but nothing happened. I then tried connecting it to the DVD input, and upon selecting "DVD" on the receiver itself, nothing changed. It is as if the receiver only allows one to switch to an input that is connected to a device. Yet, it was not registering that I had connected the 3.5mm to RCA cable to my phone or iPod.
post #11256 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:

You are likely correct ... 1912 is the best you'll get which is what a local non-Magnolia store just told me is the case with their store. Although keep in mind, as I pointed out in an earlier post, Best Buy does not set up Audyssey so you won't be able to check out MultEQ XT.

Local BBY here (houston,tx) had the 2112 setup.

Mad Dog, you ARE going to take the shortcut to the Interstate, aren't you?

We're here to win, ain't we? If you're gonna be a bear, BE A GRIZZLY!
post #11257 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 968
<<<< @cxg331

1) as JD already said, you can set this separately for each input. It will remember your preference for each input (e.g. OFF for the Blu-ray player, "DAY" for the PS3, "EVENING" for the cable box, etc).

If it isn't, that's probably because you are using the Quick Select buttons to change inputs, in which case you need to RE-MEMORIZE the Quick Select after you make changes to your settings.

This setting has nothing to do with auto setup, other than the fact that you need to have Audyssey calibration complete to access Dyn EQ/Vol.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11258 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

<<<< @cxg331

1) as JD already said, you can set this separately for each input. It will remember your preference for each input (e.g. OFF for the Blu-ray player, "DAY" for the PS3, "EVENING" for the cable box, etc).

If it isn't, that's probably because you are using the Quick Select buttons to change inputs, in which case you need to RE-MEMORIZE the Quick Select after you make changes to your settings.

This setting has nothing to do with auto setup, other than the fact that you need to have Audyssey calibration complete to access Dyn EQ/Vol.

Thank you! I was indeed switching with Quick Select. Re-memorizing worked like a charm.
post #11259 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Hello everyone. My name is David and I have been lurking here for a while but now it is time to ask some questions.

I just bought a Denon AVR - 1712 to replace my aging Yamaha RX-V800.

The speakers are all Paradigm

Monitor 3 v.2 left/right
CC-370 v.2 center
Atom v.2 surrounds
PDR-12 Sub

and a Panasonic TC-50PX24 plasma display.

This is my second day with Denon. I ran the set up. Scanned through the on line manual (pdf) posted here and I have a few issues concerns.

1. My first issue is my center speaker. I fear it may be bad but I am not sure. When I ran the set up and when I do the tone test I have noticed that the sound out of center speaker is muffled and lower than the tones in the rest of the system.

I am watching "The return of the King" and I am finding it difficult to understand the dialogue in 'movie' mode. How does one teat a center channel speaker (or any speaker for that matter)?

I went into the ch level and increased the volume there but that seems to defeat the purpose of the sound calibration with the mic. Also, this does not really fix the problem so much as make it 'less bad'.

Is there a way to brighten up the center channel? It seems a bit dull for lack of a better term. Any recommendations?

2. I scanned through the manual and did not see it but I assume there is a way to associate a listening mode (movie, music, direct ....) with a device but I cannot figure out how.

3. Bypass. I set up a by pass with the Sat/Cbl but I did not see a way to set up other devices. Can only one be set up for a by pass?

4. On my Yamaha there were numerous sound effects such as concert hall, Jazz, Rock. Anything like that on this unit?

5. When I press the Ch Level the sub does not appear on the list of speakers. In the manual the picture shows a sub. Did I do something wrong in the set up?

6. OH god, what did I get my self into. I know enough about this to make my self dangerous. Much more comfortable with cars and computers. Going through the manual is a bit over whelming.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lord give me patients. Because if you give me strength ... I'll need bail money to go with it.
post #11260 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Sounds like it's bad, although there is certainly no issue in bumping the center channel a few db for better clarity. You may also want to try setting the Reference Level Offset (p. 56) to 10db. Ensure the speaker is pulled out to the edge (if tucked inside a cabinet) and tilted up/down as necessary to point to ear height of the main listening position.

2. Once a surround mode is selected for a specific input audio signal, the AVR will remember it.

3. Correct. Your choice is either "LAST" (last input selected) or a specific HDMI input jack. If a specific HDMI jack is selected, you must go into the menu and select another HDMI jack # to have another device pass through in Standby mode.

4. Yup. p. 30 - Denon listening modes (although not worth using except Multi CH Stereo perhaps for parties).

5. If the sub is set to YES (ie. you heard a test tone) then you should be able to cycle through all speakers and lastly the sub when pressing the "CH Level" button first and then using the DOWN arrow button.

6. Hang in there. Lots of help here.

post #11261 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM

1. If Im reading it correctly reference is automatically set to on if Dynamic EQ is on which I assume it is. In order to get to the setting you referenced I have to access 'Tone' which is grayed out. The note says it cannot be set in 'direct mode' but I have it in Movie.

I cranked the center up to 10 db.

2. cool.

3. bummer

4. OK. You seem to know what you are talking about so I'll take your word about it.

5. I seem to have a sub problem. I ran a tone check and snd it turned the sub on to run the tone. Been watching a movie for the past hour and i just realized the sub has been off 9no yellow light on the sub) and I just started to watch the movie again and there is no sound out of the sub (it is in the ch level menu now and is at -12 db which I recall reading means the sub is too loud for the receiver to compensate for. Do I need to turn it down and re run the calibration?

Lord give me patients. Because if you give me strength ... I'll need bail money to go with it.
post #11262 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. The Reference Level Offset defaults to 0db ... I suggested changing it to 10db. You must have Dyn EQ set to ON to access it. This setting has nothing to do with the Tone Controls (bass/treble).

5. Correct. Reduce the sub gain until the AUTO SETUP returns a sub setting of closer to 0db, but at least < -12db. You only need to run 1 mic position to check this. Once it is correctly lowered, you can run all 8 mic positions.

post #11263 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Cosworth View Post

5. I seem to have a sub problem. I ran a tone check and snd it turned the sub on to run the tone. Been watching a movie for the past hour and i just realized the sub has been off 9no yellow light on the sub) and I just started to watch the movie again and there is no sound out of the sub (it is in the ch level menu now and is at -12 db which I recall reading means the sub is too loud for the receiver to compensate for. Do I need to turn it down and re run the calibration?

(I hope you don't mind me interjecting myself here...) Yes. The sub probably isn't turning on because the receiver isn't sending a high enough signal because Audyssey had to reduce the receiver's subwoofer output level so much to keep it from blasting you out of your seat. Turn down the gain setting on the subwoofer itself to about 1/4 of what it is now and then recalibrate with Audyssey. It's best for Audyssey's gain setting to be close to 0 (+/- 3db or so). That'll both increase the output voltage and give Audyssey more headroom when compensating for peaks and valleys in the room's acoustics.

If you really like more bass, you can later increase the output level just as you did for the center speaker.

With regard to the center speaker, you might try listening to it up close. One or more of its drivers may have failed and you might be able to determine which one so you could consider replacing it yourself. The other options, of course, are to send the speaker back for repairs or get a new one.

Selden
post #11264 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM

OK, the sub is my current concern. I am in the test tone menu and it is currently showing the sub at -8.5db. Is this where I am supposed to be looking? I turned down the sub and re ran the calibration to get this setting. How ever when I go to the ch level, the sub is not showing ion the menu. I will turn it down some more and run the calibration gaain while I wait for a reply.

post #11265 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM

OK, turned the sub gain and volume to 50%. Re ran the calibration and it tested the sub twice. The second time I could tell it increased the volume a bit on the sub. When I looked at the ch level menu the sub is at -.5 db.

I remembered reading something about the sub settings in the manual and I set the sub at LFE+main. Now the sub appears in the ch level menu. Is this a correct setting?

post #11266 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM

The sub is working (I turned up the volume on the sub to test) but not nearly the way I like it. I do not like everything rattling around but I like a little accent. If I change the front speaker setting to small will that divert more bass to the sub? It does not sound different.

post #11267 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes. After running AUTO SETUP, set all speakers to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossover. Please review the Audyssey FAQ linked in my sig for more information.

post #11268 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Setting your speakers to small will redirect the bass that they were trying to produce (but couldn't) to the subwoofer. To that extent, you should hear more of the low frequencies than before. It still might not be as much as you'd like, though. People often like more authority in cannon blasts (for example) than are actually provided by the movie being watched. That's one reason "butt kickers" are so popular. Use of them also reduces complaints from neighbors.

Selden
post #11269 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Yeh .. I have to laugh as well. I can't tell you how many times someone will profess their technical background (which is irrelevant actually) yet fail to realize that it's not about that at all, rather it's simply about following directions, something most guys have a hard time with, especially when it involves reading an Owner's manual. The GUI feature has made it much easier in fact then in the day of your 2308. If you follow the steps on pp. 75-76, you select the brand and then model of the device and in Step 8 (as shown in the GUI) the "code" is displayed which you would then enter at Step 11.

Hmm, we're likely on the same page there on the "something most guys have a hard time with, especially when it involves reading an Owner's manual." but, we may be able to debate the relevance of technical experience (especially when combined with success/career progression) in being a reasonable measurement of technical ability/aptitude. I'm more on the page of just because you can type I have xx degree or job does make it true. That being said, the posts I've read from you give you all the validity in your expertise I need to hear and is therefore greatly appreciated

I was using the "onscreen" (GUI) instructions and not the manual (which is likely on the disk that I'm very unlikely to ever plug in)... but I've found a PDF I "glanced" at for sure as I've trusted the information I've read here more. There was a code input on the screen already (highlighted in an orange-ish color as I remember). I'll try to jump to step 11 this evening.

I'll also need to read more on "reference" volume. I took that to mean the 0-100 scale vs. the x.xdb scale (knowledge vs aptitude heh).

Thanks again JD - you rock!
ToddnMiss
post #11270 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As it turns out, Denon has apparently given up on preprogrammed remotes. The AVR-XX13 remotes now come able to control only Denon devices with no preprogrammed codes for other devices.

Reference volume refers to when the AVR master volume is set to 0db then you'll hear speaker average volume of 85db with peaks up to 105db (sub to 115db). So after running AUTO SETUP when you have the master volume set to -20db (which is average for most folks), you're getting film audio at 85db-20db = 65db with peaks to 105db-20db=85db (sub to 95db). Reference volume does not apply to TV or music which is why setting the Reference Level Offset to 10db will help to bring out center channel dialog.

The two volume scales Denon uses (p. 21) are:

Relative: -80.5db to +18db (reference volume 0db)
Absolute: 0.0 to 99 (reference volume 81)

post #11271 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I sure like it at 0dB or more but my wife prefers -20dB or less..

post #11272 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM

Good evening all,
Can someone tell me whay in the Audio Adjust menu of my AVR 2112CI, many of the settings are Grayed Out and can't be accessed. For example, Tone Control, Restorer etc. Regardless of Source. I want to tinker a little and experiment. Would love some insight.
Thanks so much.
post #11273 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Settings are generally grayed out because you're not in proper mode to use them. If you refer to Tone Control (p. 81), you'll note Dyn EQ must be OFF to use the Tone Control settings. And if you refer to Restorer (p. 83) you'll note it only works on analog and PCM signals. Take some time to get to know your manual.

post #11274 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Guys, do you know how to set up Batpig's Denon commands for my Harmony 700?
hxxps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AngOYY2BARa3cmxmNE9Pa0hHRk9Xdzd0b2pLMVA2Ync&pli=1#gid=0

Again, I was looking for clue but no success

Thank you all
post #11275 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the problem isn't the Harmony or the receiver, it's the TV itself. The TV has a "HDMI Control" feature built in which is automatically switching the receiver to the "TV" input.

I assume you have a Samsung TV? If so, turn Anynet+ off and the problem will go away.

thank you batpig,
BTW, what is Anynet+ ?
post #11276 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It is Samsung's name for CEC control where the TV remote can control the AVR but is porly implemented so turn it off.

post #11277 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcd View Post

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. When I was trying to set the source name, I couldn't find the component input...just the analog video inputs and optical options. Would the component be considered the analog video input?

Ok, I've been unsuccessful so far...

I have the uverse hdmi hooked up to hdmi 3 on the denon. At the same time, I have the component cables from the uverse hooked up to the component posts on the denon. Under input assign, I have the "TV" component set to RCA. When I have AirPlay playing, I select video-->TV and nothing shows up,on the screen... Should I have another input set to RCA instead of TV?
post #11278 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM

^^i should remind everyone that I'm trying to watch tv while listening to AirPlay!
post #11279 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Picked up a 2312 a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure I updated the firmware the first night although I am not positive. I turned it on today for the first time since sunday and it said there was a firmware update. I checked my 2112 and there was no update for this. Would the 2112 and 2312 share the same updates? Is there any way to see what the update addresses?

Thanks
Ray

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #11280 of 19158 Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM

First time poster and a new member. I picked up an AVR-3312CI and all of my devices are HDMI capable, but my television isn't, it's running on component. I tried connecting one of my devices via HDMI and my television via component, but I didn't get any video showing on the tv. Is there a setting I need to change in order to enable the downsampling?

Thanks in advance

--BlaeceAelf
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page