The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 427 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12781 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Lads
Been awhile since I last posted but I have a few queries you guys might suggest to try or help with? Ever since I had a new HDMI board fitted just before xmas last my AVR 2312 has been great. If turn on my TV ( Panasonic GT30a ) then the AVR and finally my Foxtel IQ2 box or Blu ray player all is sweet. If I have been listening to say the radio or CD and haven't been using my TV and if I then decide to watch TV through the AVR 2312 and just switch the TV on I will either get the TV sound still on and not muted ( the AVR volume display will show on screen and can be raised or lowered with the remote control but with no amp sound ) the TV volume still works with its own remote, or sometimes the AVR will mute it sound and I have to push the volume up or down and the amp clicks and then I have sound. Conversely if I switch the AVR off and all is good as the TV unmutes and the sound reverts back to the TV as it should. I know this is minor and can be sorted just by turning the amp off and starting it again but if you guys have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards Wassa
Sorry if it has been asked before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
^^
Introducing a new component into the HDMI chain may require powering off and powering on again all components.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12783 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 AM

Looking for some general advice as i'm leaning towards buying either the 1612 or 1712 to replace my Onkyo SR606 which no longer has functioning HDMI (hasn't for quite sometime) and just finally upgraded my speakers from an old HITB Yamaha set to Pioneer BS-21's (4x) and C-21 center. Haven't upgraded the sub yet and i'm open to suggestions on that front as well, i'm not nearly as well versed in the audio side of home theater as I am with video.

The choice i'm trying to make is basically between getting the 1612 & upgrading the sub (currently thinking i'd grab the matching Pio sub from their speaker package) which will force me to compromise on how many inputs i'd consider ideal for my needs.

I will be using an SA 8300HDR cable box, Panasonic 3D 210BD, PS3, Xbox 360, Sega DC and Wii (by the end of the year will likely be replaced with a Wii U with HDMI) which gives me five devices by the end of this year and a Panasonic VT20 3D TV.

I'm leaning towards going with a 1612 and getting the new sub vs getting the 1712 and waiting on the sub likely until next year as the backend of my year is all about vacations, birthdays&Xmas for the wife and three kids so my spending money goes out the window for my tech toys until next year after the next few weeks.

I was planning to set it up this way, cable box straight to TV, coaxial from cable to 1612, Wii straight to TV with video and sending audio from TV to 1612 through optical, Dreamcast to TV through VGA and sound to 1612 through RCA with the BD210, PS3 and 360 going through the 1612's HDMI to TV.

I'm stepping down from 6.1 to 5.1 which is honestly a better fit for our space anyway so that doesn't really concern me. So I guess my main question is, is the 1712 enough of an upgrade over the 1612 to double the price and basically force me to use an older sub from around 03 that came in a Yamaha HITB?

My new speakers honestly sound great already just running on the SR-606 but I do miss having Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks from my Blu-Ray's due to my dead HDMI connections. I have also never really felt the sub woofer lacked too much but its likely just a case of me not knowing what i'm missing.

I will say that i'd long realised the short comings of the speakers from the HITB but i'm still blown away at how much better the BS-21's and C-21 are especially considering the price as I got all five speakers for just $150.
post #12784 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yes. All Denon 7.1 AVRs feature "Front B" capability (connected to the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts) when only 5.1 is used in the main zone.

Thanks for the info.

So what do I need to do to make this work for me. I understand I probably need to set up the system initially to 5.1 but then what do I need to do to switch back and forth.

While my wife and I are intelligent people, I don't want this to be a complicated process to do whenever we trot into the dining room to eat dinner or play a game.

Thanks!
post #12785 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Hi All:
Purchased my 1912 from Overstock.com (Refurb) back in december. Just got around to hooking it up in my new home a couple months ago. I had it hooked up to 3 different sets of speakers via good speaker wire and banana plugs. I have the 3 sets connected to Front, surround, and Amp assign. two zone configuration. The speakers are built into the ceiling with wiring running through the walls. All was working fine (I only use the Denon for audio..Airplay and Internet Radio at this time) until 2 days ago when the Denon began shutting down with the flashing red light issue about 30 minutes after use. the receiver is in an open, air conditioned room with plenty of ventilation. Volume on the Denon is set to about 60%..same as always. No other variables have changed from prior to two days ago. Checked all wiring from the Denon to the wall outlets and no stray strands are touching, all banana plug ends are fine/intact.

I've performed a processor reset to no avail.

Google searches took me to various tech answer for pay type forums where it appears this issue seems to be somewhat common with 1912's..and repairs are required by authorized service centers.

Is this accurate? Since my in home wiring hasnt been touched since move in and since the setup was working perfectly fine..sometimes with all 3 sets of speakers playing across both zones just fine for hours..Im guessing the most likely suspect is my refurb 1912.

Correct?
post #12786 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Millot, welcome to the forum. I've learned a lot from AVS over the years, though I haven't posted much. My suggestion would be to go with the 1712 because of the Audyssey MultiEQ XT vs. the 1612's next lower version of Audyssey (better hurry, they are selling out fast) and pass on the Pioneer SW-8 sub. I have the BS-21's and CS-21 and love them, but even though I consider Andrew Jones a genius, building a budget subwoofer has certain laws of physics, size and power, that greatly differ from the rest of the speaker system, and even Andrew can't bend those enough to get a truly good subwoofer for under $100.

There is a good thread in the subwoofer forum by Jim Wilson you might check out, Budget Subwoofers Under $300. I would post over there with your room measurements and listening habits. Even if you have to wait to save some more money for a true subwoofer, that would be better than throwing money at the SW-8 (IMHO). And then, if you truly come to appreciate true bass, you can look at the internet direct companies and their offerings ($400+). Watch out, it is a slippery slope! This is coming from a former Yamaha HTIB sub to an SVS PC-12NSD, it still makes me smile years later. And there's a lot more slope for me to slide down... Good luck!
post #12787 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

Thanks for the info.

So what do I need to do to make this work for me. I understand I probably need to set up the system initially to 5.1 but then what do I need to do to switch back and forth.

While my wife and I are intelligent people, I don't want this to be a complicated process to do whenever we trot into the dining room to eat dinner or play a game.

Thanks!

Connect the Front B speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts. Set to "Front B". Set to "B". Then press the "DIRECT" button on the remote when you want to use Front B (or setup a Quick Select for STEREO mode).

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12788 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM

I use my Iphone 4 with Airplay quite a bit with my Denon 2312CI. I am intrigued by the Galaxy s3. It will be available in the US soon, and has been released in other countries. My question is about the All Share Play feature. Obviously, the first question is, will it work with the Denon 2312 CI ? Will it also have the same music quality as the IOS feature? If anyone has a new S3, please post. Thanks.
post #12789 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lseguy View Post

Hi All:
Purchased my 1912 from Overstock.com (Refurb) back in december. Just got around to hooking it up in my new home a couple months ago. I had it hooked up to 3 different sets of speakers via good speaker wire and banana plugs. I have the 3 sets connected to Front, surround, and Amp assign. two zone configuration. The speakers are built into the ceiling with wiring running through the walls. All was working fine (I only use the Denon for audio..Airplay and Internet Radio at this time) until 2 days ago when the Denon began shutting down with the flashing red light issue about 30 minutes after use. the receiver is in an open, air conditioned room with plenty of ventilation. Volume on the Denon is set to about 60%..same as always. No other variables have changed from prior to two days ago. Checked all wiring from the Denon to the wall outlets and no stray strands are touching, all banana plug ends are fine/intact.

I've performed a processor reset to no avail.

Google searches took me to various tech answer for pay type forums where it appears this issue seems to be somewhat common with 1912's..and repairs are required by authorized service centers.

Is this accurate? Since my in home wiring hasnt been touched since move in and since the setup was working perfectly fine..sometimes with all 3 sets of speakers playing across both zones just fine for hours..Im guessing the most likely suspect is my refurb 1912.

Correct?

The most common reason for the AVR to shut down in protection mode is due to either a loose speaker wire from one post touching another post or, in your case, with in wall wiring, it's possible a nail has broken the speaker wire casing somewhere inside the wall. Try using a multimeter to check the continuity of the speaker wire to ensure there's no short. Or if not available, disconnect all speakers and add one back at a time for 30 minutes each to see if the issue is the result of a particular speaker. If warranty work is required, AFAIK Overstock.com is not an authorized Denon reseller so there would be no warranty.

"JD" –

post #12790 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Thank-You, Beechtom.

I had figured much the same thing in regards to that Sub being worth while after the reading i've been doing the last months. I must admit its a little over-whelming just how much there is to learn on the audio side of this Home Theater obsession as i've been basically consumed by the video side of things in my pursuit over the years do to some bad luck with my TV choices when I first got into this.

I had originally planned to get involved in upgrading my audio back when I first grabbed my Onkyo SR-606 as Circuit City was closing its doors back around 08?

I then started to have issues with our JVC HD-ILA set (my first set that I skipped the warranty on ) which was followed by our bedroom sets also dying around the same time period (one of them was due to go but one wasn't) so I was scrambling for a bit. Of course this lead to me being forced to grab a low budget solution TV for my HT and my first Plasma a Panny 50X1 which abruptly turned me into a plasma guy so it all worked out on that end.

That said once I had bought some short term solutions for bedroom sets with 32" Toshiba and Samsung 720P LCD models my HDMI went out on the Onkyo just as I was getting set to upgrade my speakers.

At this point I turned my attention towards getting back up to a 1080P display and found a steal of a deal on a 50VT20 open box from BB at the begining of the year for the same price I bought my 50X1 for back in 09 so I pulled the trigger.

So only now have I finally turned my attention back to the audio side of my home theater, first came the C-21 as i'd always had an issue with the dialog not being crisp enough through the old center speaker and it was a night and day difference just wow but it over whelmed my other speakers and even my untrained ears could tell the soundstage was poorly balanced.

I then came across newegg running the promo code on the BS-21's for $50 a pair and pounced on it to get my fronts and side speakers for a 5.1 set up.

Now i'm focused on in on getting back to the HD audio codecs for my new speakers. As you said the 1712 seams like the more ideal reciever for me but i'm kinda torn on the idea because i'm not sure I can get $400 up before they sell out and I was floored by the HD codecs when I had them even on crap speakers so i'm sure to be thrilled with the 1612 plus the wife already wants to kill me....

She doesn't even know i'm planning to grab either a 65VT50 or 65VT60 next year around April or May depending on if the VT60 hits 9G Kuro blacks.
post #12791 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM

When trying to do the latest firmware update on my 2112, after a couple of minutes the osd tells me it's "connected" to the server, and goes to "update". It indicates 21 minutes. However when I press enter on the remote nothing happens. The return and "menu" buttons work and gets me out of the screen. I have read the previous posts-maybe I'm lucky I haven't been able to do it?
post #12792 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
585-645-1006

^^

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post22068126

"JD" –

post #12793 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Connect the Front B speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts. Set to "Front B". Set to "B". Then press the "DIRECT" button on the remote when you want to use Front B (or setup a Quick Select for STEREO mode).

I understand the need to connect the speakers.

Then, every time I want to listen to the speakers in the other room, I have to do the following three steps?

And then to switch back, I do what?

Thanks for the help, I am pretty serious about buying this, but I want to be sure what we need to do before I ask the wife about this.
post #12794 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM
585-645-1006

^^
No ... every time the unit is receiving a STEREO 2.0 signal and you want to pass it to the Front B speakers, just press the button on the remote if it doesn't switch to them automatically.

"JD" –

post #12795 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
No ... every time the unit is receiving a STEREO 2.0 signal and you want to pass it to the Front B speakers, just press the button on the remote if it doesn't switch to them automatically.

I use the feed from our Dish Network through an HDMI input for a lot of music in the dining room.

So even then, just press the button to switch to the dining room?

And then to switch back to the living room for 5.1 or stereo, do what?

Thanks.
post #12796 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You can press either the Movie or Music buttons and select whichever mode you want to use, STEREO or DD PLII/5.1.

"JD" –

post #12797 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
You can press either the Movie or Music buttons and select whichever mode you want to use, STEREO or DD PLII/5.1.

Thanks for your help!

I think this is the one I am probably going to buy, assuming I can figure out a good way to wire it up to our network.
post #12798 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Geez.....right in front of me and I missed it....thanks!!!
post #12799 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^

Thanks for all the help.

I ordered one today (the dealer was out but they have some in the warehouse) for $320 plus tax (339.20)

I think this will work out well.
post #12800 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Liked: 13
Dumb question:

I know this has been answered in this forum before but..

I Have a 1912

If i watch TV or any other source (Google TV, Internet radio, etc) and i select the following: Dolby Digital, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Pro Logic in the audio output option i only get audio from the center speaker; if i select Multi Channel In or Multi Channel stereo i get sound from all speakers (fronts, center and surrounds) , but it's the same signla from the fl/fr speaker.

'Am i doing something wrong? i thought if you selected The Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic you could still get sound from all speakers.

So in order to get sound from all speakers i have to use the Multi Channel stereo option?

'am i correct or just haven't tweaked it enough yet?
post #12801 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Is there any option for networking with the Denon 1612? It's pretty much at the top of my price range right now, and I'd love to be able to control it via Android if possible..
post #12802 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a question about using 7.1 on a 5.1 audio track. For instance on DTS-HD MA tracks I can either use "DTS-HD MA (SB On)" or Neo. Which one is preferred? If someone could point me to a link that explains this it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #12803 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 05:11 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Which one is preferred only you can decide.

"JD" –

post #12804 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeppelin75 View Post

Dumb question:

I know this has been answered in this forum before but..

I Have a 1912

If i watch TV or any other source (Google TV, Internet radio, etc) and i select the following: Dolby Digital, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Pro Logic in the audio output option i only get audio from the center speaker; if i select Multi Channel In or Multi Channel stereo i get sound from all speakers (fronts, center and surrounds) , but it's the same signla from the fl/fr speaker.

'Am i doing something wrong? i thought if you selected The Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic you could still get sound from all speakers.

So in order to get sound from all speakers i have to use the Multi Channel stereo option?

'am i correct or just haven't tweaked it enough yet?

Something is wrong somewhere .... reset the microprocessor (p. 125) and start the setup over again.

"JD" –

post #12805 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Something is wrong somewhere .... reset the microprocessor (p. 125) and start the setup over again.

You shure? am i suppose to hear all the speakers in all the formats? what's Multi channel for then?
post #12806 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
Got my 2312CI hooked up today and thus far I am VERY impressed. The two channel stereo via Pandora is WAY fuller and richer than my old HK AVR 635. Dolby Digital also sounds much fuller and richer as well. And I have not even run Audyssey yet!!! One question. I plugged our Wii into the DVD component in and the DVD audio in and can't figure out how to assign the source. Assigning sources for the DVR and PS3 were easy because they are HDMI. Can't figure out how to assign non HDMI sources. Thanks!! Can't wait to run Audyssey and watch my test scene (Matrix helicopter scene) to see how it sounds compared to old HK.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #12807 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM

I connected my MLT-2 speakers with 2312. I ran Audussey AUTO SETUP and calibrated all the speakers/SW for 8 positions. Updated the Firmware yesterday without any issues. I set all the speakers to SMALL.

I connected my Laptop to 2312 using HDMI/HDMI V-AUX [2312] front panel and watched TROY movie. I have set Dyn Vol to MED. For better sound, I increased the sound upto 0 dB. I thought I can get better sound with 45dB atleast. Also SW is not that boomy.

Am I doing mistake somewhere in configurations? Please let me know if I need to change some settings.

Thanks, Raj
post #12808 of 19228 Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Hello guys. Sorry for slipping this question in here. I had posted the question in the speakers forum but nobody responded. It might have been answered before, specifically because people have had their speakers blown out or their receivers cut off. My situation is a little different.

I recently bought my Denon AVR 1712 and am waiting for my RC Micros to be delivered to me. The Denon is rated from 6-16 ohms and I believe the Micros are 8, so they match.

However, while waiting, I borrowed a friends HTIB speakers to give the AVR a test run. A realized a day later that the speakers were @ 4 ohms. The speakers were working well the entire time and to this moment sound great. The receiver doesn't seem to be heating up. But I noticed that my receiver wasn't exactly co-operating. At times it would not play sound when I started up my PS3, or wouldn't recognize audio/video through some HDMI ports. Sometimes turning the power on and off would fix everything. I did a hard reset, but now I have to reset the remote to open the GUI almost every time I change inputs, and audio doesn't always play when HDMI pass through is activated.

My question is, can a receiver be damaged before it is forced to shut off (by what I assume would be an overheat). And would overloading a receiver cause these finicky complications or is it a defective receiver? Has anyone had these problems before?

TL;DR: Don't know if pairing 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm receiver messed up my receiver, because audio is fine, but receiver is reacting strangely.
post #12809 of 19228 Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Amazon has the 3312ci for $736.29 by World Wide Stereo which I believe is an authorized dealer. Is this a good price considering the 3313 is just around the corner?
post #12810 of 19228 Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

^^
Which one is preferred only you can decide.

Cool. I didn't know if there was a "right" or a "wrong" way to go about it. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page