post #12931 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

So setting up my Harmony for the 2312CI and everything going pretty well. A couple of questions - 1. Is there a button on the stock remote that will call up a screen to show the current status of the source (i.e. Dolby digital, etc. etc.). I have already programmed Ch Level and Menu for every source but wonder if there is a button that shows status.

2. I plan on getting another Harmony remote to allow me to download older versions of Denon receivers so I can learn more useful commands. What model(s) of older/newer Denons have very useful buttons and what buttons would you consider a must to have on a remote (another poster said that even though buttons aren't on the newer remotes the commands from older (and newer) Denon remotes still work)? THanks!

There's all sorts of cool buttons on my 889 remote. Dynamic EQ comes to mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

There's all sorts of cool buttons on my 889 remote. Dynamic EQ comes to mind.

Cool. Dynamic Eq would be cool, Dynamic Volume Setting would be nice. Also some sort of status to see about Audyssey Settings, etc. etc..

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #12933 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lseguy View Post

Hi All:
Purchased my 1912 from Overstock.com (Refurb) back in december. Just got around to hooking it up in my new home a couple months ago. I had it hooked up to 3 different sets of speakers via good speaker wire and banana plugs. I have the 3 sets connected to Front, surround, and Amp assign. two zone configuration. The speakers are built into the ceiling with wiring running through the walls. All was working fine (I only use the Denon for audio..Airplay and Internet Radio at this time) until 2 days ago when the Denon began shutting down with the flashing red light issue about 30 minutes after use. the receiver is in an open, air conditioned room with plenty of ventilation. Volume on the Denon is set to about 60%..same as always. No other variables have changed from prior to two days ago. Checked all wiring from the Denon to the wall outlets and no stray strands are touching, all banana plug ends are fine/intact.

I've performed a processor reset to no avail.

Google searches took me to various tech answer for pay type forums where it appears this issue seems to be somewhat common with 1912's..and repairs are required by authorized service centers.

Is this accurate? Since my in home wiring hasnt been touched since move in and since the setup was working perfectly fine..sometimes with all 3 sets of speakers playing across both zones just fine for hours..Im guessing the most likely suspect is my refurb 1912.

Correct?

after a fair amount of troubleshooting..turns out the culprit is a partially burned out Russound Altx wall mounted volume switch. Confirmed this via swapping switches, speaker wires, going one by one with each speaker..you name it, any combination was accomplished...as well as visible scorch marks on the plastic surrounding the copper winding on the input side of the switch. Other 2 switches in other locations dont have these burn/scorch marks.

Builder (home is new) coming out to replace it tomorrow. Have no idea how/why as the volume on the Denon hasnt exceeded about 60% of volume..and all wiring is correct/not shorting.
post #12934 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Cool. Dynamic Eq would be cool, Dynamic Volume Setting would be nice. Also some sort of status to see about Audyssey Settings, etc. etc..

There is a button MultiEq button that toggles between Audyssey (movie), Audyssey Music, and Off. Also, the Dynamic Eq button is a Dyn Eq/Vol button and toggles between "Dyn Eq Off/Dyn Vol Off" "Dyn Eq On/Dyn Vol Off" "Dyn Eq On/Dyn Vol Midnight" "Dyn Eq On/Dyn Vol Evening" and "Dyn Eq On/Dyn Vol Day"

I also like the "Dimmer" and "Status" buttons.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #12935 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 12
Does these banana plugs fit the 2112CI.

I bought those and couldn't fit them. I don't think there is a plastic lug that need to be removed to use the banana plugs. so, how? or did I order wrong ones?
post #12936 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

I bought those and couldn't fit them. I don't think there is a plastic lug that need to be removed to use the banana plugs. so, how? or did I order wrong ones?

They look like they would. But why not get the known-good plugs from monoprice?
post #12937 of 19312 Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

They look like they would. But why not get the known-good plugs from monoprice?

but from what I read, lot of people like their cables but not the banana plugs and anyway, I already bought these.

so, any clues on how do I plug them in? I afraid to put more pressure to insert them in. Do I need to unscrew before I insert the bp or what?
post #12938 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know this is beating a dead..... but I'm still trying to understand why bi-amping doesn't gain you more headroom or audio-quality. I know the FAQ says so, and lots of replies in the past year have reiterated that "passive bi-amping" is worthless, but then the details have gone off-the-rails with technical details.

Is the issue: That the limiting factor is the *shared* part of the amplifier design rather than the individual 'amplifier' outputs? I would also assume that the shared part of the design was capable of putting out far more power than an individual channel was designed to do. Assuming that, if you compare:
1. a single speaker connected to a single channel
2. that same single speaker but with the woofer separately linked to one channel while the tweeter was separately linked to a 2nd channel
Why wouldn't you have more available power?

If, however, each individual channel is capable of max'ing the shared part of the design, then it's clear that spreading the load across two channels would not help. But is that the case??
post #12939 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 AM

Ok, some of you may have seen that I posted last night that my 1612 kept restarting itself constantly. I tried resetting the Microprocessor which worked... for ten minutes. I unplugged it overnight, just turned it on and it is still constantly resetting. However, after leaving it to keep resetting itself for 10 minutes it suddenly stayed on. Did the same thing last night, so I'm expecting it to start messing up again soon..... and it just has!

Here's a video of the problem - http://youtu.be/vYLfIzCXqlA

I think maybe I need to speak to Denon. I'm in the UK and have found their contact number - where can I find the serial number incase they need it?
post #12940 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
^^
Yup, you've got a defective unit there for sure. The serial number should be located on the box the AVR came in and can also be determined by doing the procedure listed in post #6 to determine the firmware version.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12941 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yup, you've got a defective unit there for sure. The serial number should be located on the box the AVR came in and can also be determined by doing the procedure listed in post #6 to determine the firmware version.

Thanks man. The options are:

Main: XXXXXXX
Main FBL: XX.XX
DSP: XX.XX
Audio PLD: XX.XX
OSD: XXXXXXXX

I assume the first 'main' result is the serial number.
post #12942 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, the serial number should display before the firmware versions which is what you posted. It should be a 10 or 11 digit number that begins with "1" if you purchased the AVR last year. If not, as I said, just check the outside of the box.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #12943 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:

but from what I read, lot of people like their cables but not the banana plugs and anyway, I already bought these.

so, any clues on how do I plug them in? I afraid to put more pressure to insert them in. Do I need to unscrew before I insert the bp or what?

I have Silverbacks and didn't have a problem. The speaker connector should be screwed in tight. You do need to exert a fair amount of pressure when inserting the banana plug. At first, I thought it might not work, but they were fine with a little extra force.

Cablevision - Explorer 8300HD- SARA
Western Digital 250 gb (WD2500KS)
post #12944 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:

Yes.. I use them on my 2312, they are snug but that is a good thing.
I have had my 2312 out of the cabinet twice and the plugs were easily removed and installed again without issue.
post #12945 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Although I didn't try these on my 2312, I did on my Def Tech 1000's and do not like that they do not plug in nice and snug. I have placed a good amount of pressure on them, but they do not seem to fit well at all. Having said that, I have not had any trouble with them.

As the other poster mentioned, just screw in the speaker terminal all the way and then plug them in. I would expect them to stick out, but would be very surprised if they didn't work.
post #12946 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 AM

Liked: 11
Is the volume level from say -5db to 20db linear? I have not turned up the 2312 past about -3db (and only watching Uverse without much of a surround broadcast) and was wondering how much 'louder' the system will go while watching a movie. Is it safe to push the receiver to +5,+ 10, +15db???

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #12947 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

I know this is beating a dead..... but I'm still trying to understand why bi-amping doesn't gain you more headroom or audio-quality. I know the FAQ says so, and lots of replies in the past year have reiterated that "passive bi-amping" is worthless, but then the details have gone off-the-rails with technical details.

Is the issue: That the limiting factor is the *shared* part of the amplifier design rather than the individual 'amplifier' outputs? I would also assume that the shared part of the design was capable of putting out far more power than an individual channel was designed to do. Assuming that, if you compare:
1. a single speaker connected to a single channel
2. that same single speaker but with the woofer separately linked to one channel while the tweeter was separately linked to a 2nd channel
Why wouldn't you have more available power?

If, however, each individual channel is capable of max'ing the shared part of the design, then it's clear that spreading the load across two channels would not help. But is that the case??

Let's say each channel is capable of 100W. You have to remember that your crossover network in your speakers is basically a resistor. On your tweeter you have a resistor on the low frequency stuff, and on the woofer, there is basically a resistor on the high frequency stuff.

If you have 1 amp set up the normal way, since electricity follows the paths of least resistance, the high frequency stuff finds it's way to the tweeter and the low frequency stuff to the woofer and you can use all 100W of the signal.

In a passive bi-amp configuration, you are sending the same full-range signal to both the tweeter and the woofer. The tweeter is discarding the bottom "half" of that signal because of the crossover and therefore is only using "half" of it, and the woofer is discarding the top "half" of its signal and therefore only using "half" of it as well, so you are back to having only 100W to each speaker.

I'm over simplifying quite a bit since crossovers aren't brick walls and the HF and LF parts of the signal aren't exactly 1/2 and 1/2, etc, but that's the gist as I understand it.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #12948 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 AM

Hi
Newbie poster but longer time lurker. This forum helped me decide to grab a 2112 for new system. I've got Polk RTi A3 Fronts, Csi 4 center and RTi 4s for the back (all new) - 12g wire to all.

My SW however is the issue. Before this, I was using the JBL ESC 333 HT and it has served me well (over 10 yrs old). I has a coaxial in (and spdif) so I thought it would be a simple matter to hook the coax preamp form the 2112 out to the sub but I cannot get any sound out of it. Now to be fair, I do not have a 'labeled' coax cable as I don't have one in the house and haven't found a shop yet that carries it (I live in Doha, Qatar). I tried the yellow rca, I tried the composite cables, but no noise yet. The test tone goes to all the other speakers but there is no tone for the sub. I've checked out multiple other sources direct to the sub - no problem (using the cables I listed above). I've even bumped all the crossovers up to 250 hz to see if I could get anything - no.

So I'm left with 3 possibilities - 1. the 2112 is very fussy about what type of cable (I just read on another thread that is a possibility) 2. my preamp needs a post mortem. or 3. the 2112 sends a signal that my SW can't recognize (unlikely). I'm really hoping it's #1 b/c the shipping from here to the US for fixing is prohibitive (not to mention the raised eyebrow by my wife).

Any suggestions would be helpful. I do believe I can find a 'proper' coax cable here if I need to (or ship it in via Amazon). Or I can purchase the PA SW to cut the losses.

Is there any way to check and see if the coax preamp is sending any signal? Voltage meter? I'm not an electrical guy so maybe that's a stupid question.

Thanks for any help.
post #12949 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The JBL sub isn't a standard sub. It doesn't appear to have a sub input - it only has analog and digital inputs meant to take a full-range signal.

It sounds like you're trying to plug your Sub Out from the receiver to the "Coaxial" input on the JBL sub. The "coaxial" input is a digital SPDIF input meant for multichannel audio input. The Sub Out from the receiver is mono analog audio.

You should be plugging the cable into the Left input next to "Analog Inputs" and "TV."
post #12950 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Good catch.

@molechi - That sub is only 65W and designed to be used with the HTIB. You would be much better served selling that JBL setup and purchasing a stand alone sub that is designed to be connected to an AVR sub pre-out.

post #12951 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You would be much better served selling that JBL setup and purchasing a stand alone sub that is designed to be connected to an AVR sub pre-out.

Yes, that too.
post #12952 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 AM

Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for your suggestions - I will try switching the cable tonight. I figured there was something a little different with the inputs on the JBL but I'm glad someone can give me the full explanation. Want to buy a JBL system? I will try and sell it though I doubt I can get much for it (the remote isn't 100% and one satellite signal is gone - I guess I should just call it a day considering 10 years of service). I was also going to use the JBL satellites for Zone 2 in the kitchen. They max out at 35w so I'd have to be careful about volume. My wife would like to have the zone 2 to play music when the kids are watching TV. Thanks again - I'll let you know if it makes a difference.
post #12953 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:

Is the volume level from say -5db to 20db linear? I have not turned up the 2312 past about -3db (and only watching Uverse without much of a surround broadcast) and was wondering how much 'louder' the system will go while watching a movie. Is it safe to push the receiver to +5,+ 10, +15db???

the decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear. That means going up 10dB requires 10x the power.

it's impossible to say what is "safe" though as it will depend on the specifics of your speakers, room size, etc. A good rule of thumb is that if it sounds good, you are safe. The "unsafe" stuff -- distortion, clipping, etc. -- will be audible as things will sound harsh, strained, distorted...

that said there should never be any reason to go above 0dB on the dial with movies, as that is equivalent to "reference level" (i.e. the same SPL you would be hearing in a theater or dubbing stage) and there is no practical reason to watch a movie louder than that. Also note that if you are trying to crank it you should make sure Dyn Vol is OFF as that will restrict the volume, meaning you are fighting the processing when trying to turn the vol up.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #12954 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So setting up my Harmony for the 2312CI and everything going pretty well. A couple of questions - 1. Is there a button on the stock remote that will call up a screen to show the current status of the source (i.e. Dolby digital, etc. etc.). I have already programmed Ch Level and Menu for every source but wonder if there is a button that shows status.

2. I plan on getting another Harmony remote to allow me to download older versions of Denon receivers so I can learn more useful commands. What model(s) of older/newer Denons have very useful buttons and what buttons would you consider a must to have on a remote (another poster said that even though buttons aren't on the newer remotes the commands from older (and newer) Denon remotes still work)? THanks!

1. the new xx13 models have added an "info" button to the stock remote that should do what you want. As a test, try adding an xx13 model (e.g. 2313ci) to your Harmony and see if you can find an "info" or "status" button that calls up the on-screen info. If you find the right command, you can use the second Harmony to teach it to the main Harmony and add it to the primary Denon device profile.

2. it's really going to be a trial-and-error thing as there is no comprehensive list, but in general the Harmony profiles will attempt to mimic the factory remote. So you can get an idea by browsing manuals of older models and seeing what buttons are on the remote.

for example, older models had a "Speaker" button on the remote which switches A/B speakers, but this doesn't exist in newer models. IF you can find an older model with this button on the remote, then you can be confident it will be in the Harmony profile.

in terms of Audyssey buttons there have been a few iterations throughout the years (since the xxx9 models when Dyn EQ/Vol first appeared). There has always been a "MultEQ" button which toggles between the various room EQ presets (Audyssey, Flat, Bypass, OFF, Manual) but the Dyn EQ/Vol buttons have varied. On some models there is a separate button that turns Dyn EQ on/off and another that turns Dyn Vol on/off.... on other models there is a single button that cycles Dyn EQ/Vol OFF > Dyn EQ on w/ Dyn Vol off > Dyn EQ & Vol both ON (3 states, but cannot choose Dyn Vol mode)... and on other models there is a button that cycles between the 5 possible states (Dyn EQ/Vol OFF > Dyn EQ on with Dyn Vol off > Dyn EQ/Vol Midnight > Dyn EQ/Vol Evening > Dyn EQ/Vol Day).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #12955 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
How long will an AVR-790 retain it's setup memory? Today I am swapping out my faithful 790 and moving up to a new 3312CI that was delivered yesterday. It took a lot of work over the past two years to get the 790 setup just the way I like it (input names and assignments etc) and I'd like to keep the 790 "alive" for sometime in the future when I may want to move it to the bedroom, which I suspect won't be right away. Initially I will likely setup the 3312 to function just like the 790.

Do I need to keep the 790 plugged in, and if so can I keep it powered off, not just in standby, to retain its settings long term? I remember some years ago I unplugged everything to go on vacation and the AVR (at that time not the 790) lost all of its settings. I'd like to avoid going thru that again. Thanks.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #12956 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

1. the new xx13 models have added an "info" button to the stock remote that should do what you want. As a test, try adding an xx13 model (e.g. 2313ci) to your Harmony and see if you can find an "info" or "status" button that calls up the on-screen info. If you find the right command, you can use the second Harmony to teach it to the main Harmony and add it to the primary Denon device profile.

2. it's really going to be a trial-and-error thing as there is no comprehensive list, but in general the Harmony profiles will attempt to mimic the factory remote. So you can get an idea by browsing manuals of older models and seeing what buttons are on the remote.

for example, older models had a "Speaker" button on the remote which switches A/B speakers, but this doesn't exist in newer models. IF you can find an older model with this button on the remote, then you can be confident it will be in the Harmony profile.

in terms of Audyssey buttons there have been a few iterations throughout the years (since the xxx9 models when Dyn EQ/Vol first appeared). There has always been a "MultEQ" button which toggles between the various room EQ presets (Audyssey, Flat, Bypass, OFF, Manual) but the Dyn EQ/Vol buttons have varied. On some models there is a separate button that turns Dyn EQ on/off and another that turns Dyn Vol on/off.... on other models there is a single button that cycles Dyn EQ/Vol OFF > Dyn EQ on w/ Dyn Vol off > Dyn EQ & Vol both ON (3 states, but cannot choose Dyn Vol mode)... and on other models there is a button that cycles between the 5 possible states (Dyn EQ/Vol OFF > Dyn EQ on with Dyn Vol off > Dyn EQ/Vol Midnight > Dyn EQ/Vol Evening > Dyn EQ/Vol Day).

Here's some of the cool 889 buttons I need to put into my 2312ci profile:

Dynamic Volume Button
Night Button
MultiEQ Buttion

I think I can just learn them from the 889 remote.

post #12957 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Correct you can just use the learning function to teach them to the harmony. Don't bother with the "night" button though, night mode doesn't exist anymore as it has been obsoleted by Dyn Vol.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #12958 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Ok, it worked - awesome... I'm sure you all suspect that the bass isn't as clear as it could be and I'd say that's right but I don't have to buy a new sub right now so I'm happy (I need more points from the ministry of finance before getting something else). Thanks again for your help.
post #12959 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Correct you can just use the learning function to teach them to the harmony. Don't bother with the "night" button though, night mode doesn't exist anymore as it has been obsoleted by Dyn Vol.

Okay. Thanks. So I get Day, Evening and Midnight by toggling the button or does it bring up the OSD at the buried location where this setting resides. It is sort of lame on Denon's part to put such a usefull function buried down several menu levels. Note that previously I said I didn't hear much difference but after playing with it for a while longer, I stand corrected.

post #12960 of 19312 Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Hi everyone,

Just ordered the 1612 refurb and it will be my first A/V receiver, so I am a complete noob. I read the manual but, honestly, I am confused by a lot of the info. So I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the best settings would be for running a 2-channel set up, as I will only have front speakers for a while. I am planning to connect a directtv received, a streaming media player (boxee box), and a LP player (analogue).

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer--

T.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page