The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 520 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15571 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just started reading through this thread and I did a Google search for my issue but I haven't found an answer yet. I just bought the 3312 a few days ago in a closeout deal and I finally got to set it up this weekend. So far so good but there's so much more it can do than my old AVR (a 12yr old Sony model) that it's taking quite a while to get everything right. I bought the Definitive ProCinema 1000 w/ the 2000 center and the 3312. The one issue I'm running into now is playing .flac over my network with the 3312. I'm using WMP11 on my Vista desktop as the server, I installed the .flac drivers so WMP can now play the files, my EVO 4G LTE and Nexus 7 can see and play the files over wireless, but the 3312 can only see them, I keep getting a "File Format Error' message when trying to play them. I also have a laptop I use as a media center PC and I've been playing stuff using MediaMonkey over HDMI but the sound isn't the greatest doing it that way. I'd rather have the AVR doing the sound processing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15572 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
Are the flac files stereo?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #15573 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Are the flac files stereo?

Yes.

I just opened properties on one of them and I get
Audio sample rate 44 kHz
Channels 2 (stereo)
Audio sample size 16 bit
post #15574 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
585-645-1006

Then it should play, unless it's packaged in a .mkv file format, then no go.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #15575 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:

They're not .mkv
That's what I thought. My other audio files play fine but the .flac won't. Don't know what to do. Everything else works fine but almost my entire music collection is in .flac. Very frustrating.
post #15576 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'll take your advice and try this
"** Think your AVR is defective? "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual)."

Certainly can't hurt to give it a shot.
post #15577 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM

I recently bought an open box 3312 from best buy which was missing the mic. my friend has a acm1hb mic (the one used for the xx13 models). the audyssey faq says that the mics are interchangeable but when i called denon, the rep on the phone didnt really know. should i have my friend mail the mic to me or will it not work?
post #15578 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
585-645-1006

I'd trust the Audyssey FAQ .... especially as I provided that information for the FAQ after confirming with Audyssey that it works. wink.gif

post #15579 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausch30 View Post

Quote:

They're not .mkv
That's what I thought. My other audio files play fine but the .flac won't. Don't know what to do. Everything else works fine but almost my entire music collection is in .flac. Very frustrating.

try using a different media server software on the PC, like Twonky... maybe the conflict is with WMP.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #15580 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

try using a different media server software on the PC, like Twonky... maybe the conflict is with WMP.

I'll give it a try but as I said the files play on my phone and tablet and in WMP itself so I wouldn't think that's the issue.
post #15581 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Sorry, double post
post #15582 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I'd trust the Audyssey FAQ .... especially as I provided that information for the FAQ after confirming with Audyssey that it works. wink.gif

thanks! ill telll my friend to send it over.

on another note, if there is anyone looking to buy a receiver, make sure you go to a best buy and ask one of the managers for a deal. i walked in and got a 3312 for about $420 (missing the mic and power cord) just by asking. i think its because best buy is hurting and they just want to sell stuff even if its at a small profit margin.
post #15583 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM

I have a 2112CI, and had it all set-up. Audyssey and everything.

Then today, I went into the menu: "2 ch direct/stereo" setting, and it looked like all the settings where set from Audyssey, but when I pushed Enter on this menu, the settings changed, and now even doing a "Restore", does not change the settings under this menu back to what I saw they were.

is this normal ?

thanks.
post #15584 of 19339 Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have a question regarding the usage of RS SPL meter to check trim level for the LFE subwoofer channel.

With the AVR test tone played, all speakers shall give a reading of 75dB on the SPL meter. How about for the LFE channel? Should it read 75dB (direct reading) on the RS SPL meter?

I'm confused because my knowledge tells me that RS SPL meter is not accurate at the lower frequency..and adjust/correction value needs to be applied to the direct gauge reading. But does that applied to the test tone or pink noise from the AVR?
post #15585 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:

1. Try doing a Network Reset (see post #5).
2. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10

JD, your tips for Save Config worked a treat and I was able to save (and reload). However, Firmware Update is still sticking on "authenticating." Did a Network Reset twice. Any other suggestions? Cheers.
post #15586 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM
585-645-1006

Other than rebooting the router, if you don't already have a direct "wired" connection to the router from the AVR, you may want to try that. Only other option would be using a different router.

post #15587 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I have a question regarding the usage of RS SPL meter to check trim level for the LFE subwoofer channel.
With the AVR test tone played, all speakers shall give a reading of 75dB on the SPL meter. How about for the LFE channel? Should it read 75dB (direct reading) on the RS SPL meter?
I'm confused because my knowledge tells me that RS SPL meter is not accurate at the lower frequency..and adjust/correction value needs to be applied to the direct gauge reading. But does that applied to the test tone or pink noise from the AVR?

As noted, the RS meter isn't as accurate at the lower frequencies, rather it's best used to adjust the sub +/- Xdb rather than accurately setting to a specific Xdb.

post #15588 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post

I have a 2112CI, and had it all set-up. Audyssey and everything.
Then today, I went into the menu: "2 ch direct/stereo" setting, and it looked like all the settings where set from Audyssey, but when I pushed Enter on this menu, the settings changed, and now even doing a "Restore", does not change the settings under this menu back to what I saw they were.
is this normal ?
thanks.

AFAIK, no. Did you change to the "custom" menu or stay in the "basic" menu? Is this issue only with this menu or are you saying that RESTORE won't restore the main Audyssey settings as well?

post #15589 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Issue you great folks might be able to help me with.

I run my PC audio into my 2312. It has a terrible buzz. It's awful - and seems to have gotten worse over time.

I've changed PC's. Changed inputs (CD, Aux, etc.) - and still can not resolve this. There are no issues with other audio sources - just the PC. I've tried my laptop as well. If i use my phone for audio source using the same input/cable, etc. it sounds great. It's just the PC audio.

(For clarification - I then run the video signal from PC directly to the display TV - and use this set up in my bar for Spotify, Youtube, etc.)

I've isolated the problem to where - if the audio cable is plugged into the receiver and is shut off, the buzz is still there. (Receiver on - PC off) When I unplug the PC from the outlet the buzz goes away.

I've run an extension cord to a totally different outlet in the house - and the buzz remains.

This morning I took some speaker wire and connected it to the frame of the Denon and the frame of the PC. This elimated a majority of the buzz - making it "tolerable" in a pinch, but I'd like to get rid of it all together.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a million!
post #15590 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

AFAIK, no. Did you change to the "custom" menu or stay in the "basic" menu? Is this issue only with this menu or are you saying that RESTORE won't restore the main Audyssey settings as well?

I'm thinking the issue is with this menu only.

what I will do is to re-run the whole auto-setup wizard, and then save my settings with Audyssey and save from the web interface too. and then I will go back to that menu and see what happens.

does this menu only affect analog inputs ? and is it totally separate from Audyssey?

thanks.
post #15591 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post

Issue you great folks might be able to help me with.

I run my PC audio into my 2312. It has a terrible buzz. It's awful - and seems to have gotten worse over time.

I've changed PC's. Changed inputs (CD, Aux, etc.) - and still can not resolve this. There are no issues with other audio sources - just the PC. I've tried my laptop as well. If i use my phone for audio source using the same input/cable, etc. it sounds great. It's just the PC audio.

(For clarification - I then run the video signal from PC directly to the display TV - and use this set up in my bar for Spotify, Youtube, etc.)

I've isolated the problem to where - if the audio cable is plugged into the receiver and is shut off, the buzz is still there. (Receiver on - PC off) When I unplug the PC from the outlet the buzz goes away.

I've run an extension cord to a totally different outlet in the house - and the buzz remains.

This morning I took some speaker wire and connected it to the frame of the Denon and the frame of the PC. This elimated a majority of the buzz - making it "tolerable" in a pinch, but I'd like to get rid of it all together.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a million!

pretty much certainly a ground loop... can't tell from your original post, have you tried plugging the pc and all other components into the same circuit?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15592 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Yep Chris - I've plugged them into the same outlet, different, all sorts of combinations. Still buzzing. frown.gif

I'm going to try the Digital/Optical audio input once I dig up a cable. Then need to figure out how to assign the input. (I looked before and couldn't seem to pinpoint it.)
post #15593 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post

Quote:

I'm thinking the issue is with this menu only.

what I will do is to re-run the whole auto-setup wizard, and then save my settings with Audyssey and save from the web interface too. and then I will go back to that menu and see what happens.

does this menu only affect analog inputs ? and is it totally separate from Audyssey?

thanks.

the key question that you didn't answer is whether you are in BASIC or CUSTOM mode? If you select CUSTOM in this menu it "detaches" the settings from the main settings, and the RESTORE parameters thing will not affect what is set in this menu. In other words, if you are in CUSTOM mode than what you have observed is normal expected behavior.

If you toggle it back to BASIC, it should reset the settings to mirror what is currently set in System Setup > Speaker Setup for the multich speakers.

also, it honestly has nothing to do with Audyssey or analog vs. digital inputs. It just allows you to configure your speakers separately for 2ch audio versus multich audio -- bass management (size + crossover), distance, and level.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #15594 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post

Yep Chris - I've plugged them into the same outlet, different, all sorts of combinations. Still buzzing. frown.gif

I'm going to try the Digital/Optical audio input once I dig up a cable. Then need to figure out how to assign the input. (I looked before and couldn't seem to pinpoint it.)

darn... frown.gif why is it never the easy solution...

just to try something (and don't leave it this way)... grab a "cheater plug" and temporarily lift the ground on the pc... see what happens...

blueskying, this is almost implying some type of grounding issue within the pc... the difference in ground potential has to be somewhere...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15595 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Front speakers with height, night mode, and standard mode --

Just wanting to verify, but are front speakers with height only available as a specific surround mode? E.g. one of the matrixed versions of DD or DTS? Or should front speakers with height work in Dolby Digital and DTS surround modes? Asking because I edited the speaker config to have front with height, but audio doesn't output through those particular speakers all the time. I now realize that the receiver automatically defaults to the correct decoding mode depending on the input signal, so I'm assuming I simply need to cycle through to a “DOLBY DIGITAL + PLIIx CINEMA” or “DTS + PLIIx CINEMA” mode.

I haven't calibrated my receiver using MultiEQ yet, but curious if there is a "night mode" for night time listening as to not wake up my roommate with loud explosions when this is not enabled. I believe MultiEQ XT provides Dynamic Volume, but without having calibrated yet, this isn't an option for me.

Batpig's dictionary referenced the "STANDARD button" as a way to switch back to the default decoding mode, which does not exist on my remote. Is there a way to default back to the default decoding mode for any given multichannel source using the remote without cycling through all options?
post #15596 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

because height speakers are not encoded (yet) as discrete channels in any soundtrack, they ONLY exist as a "matrixed" channel using something like PLIIz. If you edited the speaker config correctly and set front height instead of surround back, there should no longer be a PLIIx option (x = surround backs) but rather PLIIz (z = front heights).

the only option for dynamic range control without calibrating and using Dyn Vol are the standard DRC (dynamic range compression) methods encoded in digital soundtracks. This can be enabled in the Audio Adjust area with certain codecs, or you might have to check in the source itself. It's really worth calibrating though, at the minimum just do one mic position to set your distances and levels and enable Dyn EQ/Vol.

the "Standard" button no longer exists (as you know) and has now been replaced by the four Movie/Music/Game/Direct buttons. These buttons should "memorize" your last selection so if you press it once it should switch back to the last surround mode you had selected for that button (based on input signal + input source). AFAIK there is no "default" automatically (e.g. Dolby Digital for a DD 5.1 track), you have to select it from the list. But then again the old STANDARD button didn't automatically start at the base setting either, it would recall your last selection as well.
jdustinb likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #15597 of 19339 Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM

I am having somewhat of an issue, not sure what the deal is.

I have a 2112CI that is about 5 months old. I have an ethernet connection going into it, and have used the internet radio feature a few times to play Pandora. However, more times than not, I get "connection down" and it will not load the internet radio menu. Is there an update I am not aware of?

Thanks
post #15598 of 19339 Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

My 3312 had the four non-gaming HDMI ports not function again for video. I had to power it off and then on again to get the video to work. This is the second time this has happened in the few months I've had it (along w/my steadfast belief that there is something wrong with it w/my Audyssey "situation").

Same issue here since I got my 3312. The whole thing finally died tonight, and no amount of resetting the microprocessor or rebooting it can get any picture anymore. I've hated owning my 3312, and as soon as it gets repaired it's being sold.
post #15599 of 19339 Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question about my 3312CI. Is it broken?

Turned on my projector etc tonight, and there's no picture/sound at all from any of my sources connected through my AVR-3312CI. Traced the issue as being the receiver. I've unplugged the receiver and reset the microprocessor (got the flashing on the display), but still no image/sound. Everything appears reset, since none of my sources are named correctly now and have taken their factory names.

I'm concerned, however, that the unit still remembers my Pandora log-on, since it logged right back in when I picked NET/USB. Why would the Denon remember that info if I reset all the settings?

Also, I'm now unable to get into ANY menus at all. Pressing Setup does nothing, and all I can do is adjust volume and switch sources. I get no picture or sound now.

I assume my unit is completely broken at this point?
post #15600 of 19339 Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 AM
585-645-1006

Although a microprocessor reset restores most settings to original factory level defaults, there are some that remain unchanged. Try doing a "Network reset" as shown in post #5. If you still cannot get a menu to appear after first pressing the "AMP" button, then the unit likely needs to be repaired.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page