Forum Jump: 

post #15661 of 19258 Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yup. Connect the cable/sat box with a component cable in addition to the HDMI cable and then when listening to the audio source, use the "Video Select" feature to select the component video input.

Is Video Select not an option on the 2112? I want to keep the video (say GAME1, my kids' Xbox) and switch the audio to something else (Airplay).

Can you help? I am returning a Yamaha 3010 because it can't deal with Airplay + video nicely (you've got to use MULTI CH and then can't use DSP modes) and picked up a 2112 after reading about Video Select here... but can't see it on the 2112. Is it still there? How do I use it? (If I keep a Denon I think it will be a 2312 anyway so if that's the answer---fine.)

Also, my source (Xbox) is HDMI, will that then not work? What I really want to do is be able to switch audio regardless of the HDMI source because I also want to be able to listen to music while a kid is watching a movie with a headset. If you need a non-HDMI input for Video Select, I may have to use an HDMI switch connected straight to the projector and totally bypass the whole video stack... That;s the setup I had with my old STR DE835. So what would work for me here? How do I use Video Select so I can try it? (If you can point me to a starting point in the manual I am fine reading manuals too---search didn't help me.) In which case, the Yamaha might stay (really, I think a Denon 23xx or 33xx would be perfect---I want to control volume on zone 2, everything else---zone 3--- I could do with an extra amp I think).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15662 of 19258 Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

Is Video Select not an option on the 2112?

Hi Dr. Crash, should find it under "Video" in the Input Setup men and it only work with component video.
post #15663 of 19258 Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Dr. Crash, should find it under "Video" in the Input Setup men and it only work with component video.

Arrrrrrrrgh! So it's not something you can simply scroll through then? You have to set it up just like on the Yamaha, meaning the video source is always the same for a given audio source? I also believe that the 2112 has only one set of component video inputs, so I couldn't do that with both the Xbox and my Mac (assuming I could find something that outputs both HDMI and component for both). At least the Yamaha could do it for HDMI (but couldn't do it with a digital audio source and can't do DSP over MULTI CH---another argh).

Also.... AIrPlay is not listed as a source at all. So would that just not work for AirPlay at all? Or is it possible to see AirPlay as a source, just under another name?

The HDMI switch may be my best option then... We don't really need/want video processing and even if we do we'd probably do the same one for video games and movies. All our sources are modern and 1080p. Any reason not to go that way (besides the fact that the switch and dumb and does not auto switch, and that pass through will not work etc.)?

Room correction software better be worth it :-) That is the only reason I am upgrade from my current setup (older 5.1 Sony STRDE835 + HDMI->HDMI+Toslink switch).
post #15664 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

Is Video Select not an option on the 2112? I want to keep the video (say GAME1, my kids' Xbox) and switch the audio to something else (Airplay).
Can you help? I am returning a Yamaha 3010 because it can't deal with Airplay + video nicely (you've got to use MULTI CH and then can't use DSP modes) and picked up a 2112 after reading about Video Select here... but can't see it on the 2112. Is it still there? How do I use it? (If I keep a Denon I think it will be a 2312 anyway so if that's the answer---fine.)
Also, my source (Xbox) is HDMI, will that then not work? What I really want to do is be able to switch audio regardless of the HDMI source because I also want to be able to listen to music while a kid is watching a movie with a headset. If you need a non-HDMI input for Video Select, I may have to use an HDMI switch connected straight to the projector and totally bypass the whole video stack... That;s the setup I had with my old STR DE835. So what would work for me here? How do I use Video Select so I can try it? (If you can point me to a starting point in the manual I am fine reading manuals too---search didn't help me.) In which case, the Yamaha might stay (really, I think a Denon 23xx or 33xx would be perfect---I want to control volume on zone 2, everything else---zone 3--- I could do with an extra amp I think).

The easiest way to find features in the 2112CI .pdf is via the index in the back. "Video Select" is located on p. 102. Only analog video sources will work. You can add a component video switch for more component inputs. Airplay is not listed under "Video Select" as it's not considered a video source, rather while the NET/USB source is selected you can then use Video Select to select the component video source.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #15665 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
Need some help! I am a proud new owner of a 2112CI but I am having issues. Issue #1: is it possible to use the AVR to play music, say thru the Ipod/USB port or the FM tuner or possibly the Blu-Ray input, WHILE also watching TV on the monitor? My setup includes a Panasonic HDTV, Sony Blu-Ray and DirecTV HD DVR, all connected to the 2112 via HDMI. I ALSO have the D* box connected to the TV via component and have tried switching the input on the TV but this does not work. When I switch the input on the TV the AVR switches inputs also! Obviously the AVR and the HDTV are communicating somehow. I would like to bypass this if possible. If this won't work, could I possibly achieve my goal using the VAux input in front of f the AVR? I suspect that won't either.

Issue #2, still with the iPhone / iPod input. Is it possible to listen to an iPod/iPhone App thru the USB input? I tried to listen to XM radio thru my iPhone while connected via USB and that did not work. Instead the GUI took me to my music library - not what I wanted.

I am hopeful there are workarounds with this AVR; I could achieve both these scenarios with my old Harman Kardon and the Bridge.

Any advice is much appreciated.
post #15666 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks jdsmoothie. I meant AirPlay is not listed as an audio source but you're probably right that it's available as audio when NET/USB is selected.

I already have a Monoprice 4 HDMI->HDMI + Toslink switch. is there any downside in using this to connect straight to my projector like I did with my older Sony STR-DE835? This seems much easier and cheaper than trying to find an Xbox to component cable, plus a mini displayport to component (which seems to require mini displayport to DVI and then DVI to component) plus a switch. I have used a Toslink switch to map the Mac and Xbox to either my receiver or the headset. It is not remote controllable which is too bad, but we can deal smile.gif I was hoping to greatly simplify with modern receivers, but it seems that's impossible! I would also need a receiver with two optical inputs until I can get a Mac mini (my current Mac can only do sound over Toslink) which points to the 2312...

From what I am reading, bypassing the receiver would mean I would lose any lip sync function but I can always set an audio delay in my player. Are those usually consistent? I am assuming they are reasonably so (difference between the video processing time on the Mac and the audio processing time on the receiver when I output in pass through mode from the Mac), am I correct? The only variable here would be when the Mac's doing something heavy in addition to playing, and that can be avoided when needed.

I like the Denon besides that. AirPlay is quite well done and it's nice to have it built in (so I can move my Airport Express in the bedroom with the older receiver). It would fit in my audio cabinet without modifications (unlike the Yamaha behemoth). Internet radio rocks because it has a "local stations" folder and you don't have to search everywhere (ok, I could also use the FM tuner!) If it serves me well in that audio-only configuration I'll look for the 2312for the two optical inputs and since I really want to be able to control the volume of my Zone 2 (outdoor speakers) through the receiver.

And since you are very knowledgeable in general and I have the receivers on hand... How do you think the Audyssey MultEq XT and the YPAO of the high-end Yamahas I currently have here (3010 and 2010) compare? I want to drive 7.1 in the living room, 2 outdoors and 2 in the bedroom. Since I am okay with the bedroom being a separate system, I will cost/compare a 9.x receiver with a 7.x +2 preouts & a small 2-channel amp for outside, and pick the best compromise of price/ease of use.

Thanks!
post #15667 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM
585-645-1006

If the HDMI switch works, go for it, although if the PJ cannot accept audio inputs, the AVR audio may be limited as well. Cannot comment on the audio delay issue, rather it is component dependent, so you'll just have to give it a try. The upgrade to the 2312CI would be required if you want to control the Zone 2 pre-out volume with via the 2312CI's remote. Also on YPAO vs. MultEQ XT is more a subjective answer as you have owners that favor one over the other.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #15668 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinb View Post

Need some help! I am a proud new owner of a 2112CI but I am having issues. Issue #1: is it possible to use the AVR to play music, say thru the Ipod/USB port or the FM tuner or possibly the Blu-Ray input, WHILE also watching TV on the monitor? My setup includes a Panasonic HDTV, Sony Blu-Ray and DirecTV HD DVR, all connected to the 2112 via HDMI. I ALSO have the D* box connected to the TV via component and have tried switching the input on the TV but this does not work. When I switch the input on the TV the AVR switches inputs also! Obviously the AVR and the HDTV are communicating somehow. I would like to bypass this if possible. If this won't work, could I possibly achieve my goal using the VAux input in front of f the AVR? I suspect that won't either.
Issue #2, still with the iPhone / iPod input. Is it possible to listen to an iPod/iPhone App thru the USB input? I tried to listen to XM radio thru my iPhone while connected via USB and that did not work. Instead the GUI took me to my music library - not what I wanted.
I am hopeful there are workarounds with this AVR; I could achieve both these scenarios with my old Harman Kardon and the Bridge.
Any advice is much appreciated.

1. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E12
2. USB connection would be looking for FAT16/32 files only. Try using the SiriusXM app and stream to the AVR via Airplay.

"JD" –

post #15669 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Usually this would be caused by Dyn EQ so it's weird that you are hearing this with Dyn EQ turned OFF. Is there any other processing engaged, e.g. what's the surround mode, etc.?
It might also be the particular games, so you may want to check in video game forums and see if others have experienced this. Most sports games will also have controls for adjusting the volume levels on sound effects vs. announcers.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me ask this - what's the difference between Dyn EQ, Dyn Volume, and Audessey settings? Thanks!
post #15670 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM
585-645-1006

This question and many more Audyssey related questions are answered in the Audyssey FAQ/101 guide linked in my sig.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51700_100#user_g4

"JD" –

post #15671 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post

Let me ask this - what's the difference between Dyn EQ, Dyn Volume, and Audessey settings? Thanks!

as JD notes, your best bet is to start reading up. The Audyssey page on my website has a link to the FAQ/101 that JD references as well as a ton of other info: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?page_id=37

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #15672 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Hello guys, I have been through the first 6 posts, and the first fifty pages, and have been ammused by my inability to initially see both sub jacks on the 3312 photo, but still have 2 questions.

First, how can I get the 3808 to keep my speaker size settings after turning the power off?

And second, how do we get the PCM 2.0 from zone 2 on the 3312?

Thanks, Jack
post #15673 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
585-645-1006

The 3808CI should not be "forgetting" speaker sizes unless there is a sudden power loss. Also to get PCM 2.0 to Zone 2, either use an external source connected with either optical or digital coax, or an on board networking source (eg. Airplay, Pandora).

"JD" –

post #15674 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks JD,

I didn't think so, but couldn't find a place in the menus to add enter after resetting the speaker sizes to small, and adding crossovers.

The reset sequence for the 3808 is on page 58 (power+standard+dsp simulation) but might erase the audyssey work.

Jack
post #15675 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

Is there an issue with mirroring your macbook with Apple tv through Denon receivers because all i get is a blank screen on my panasonic TV when i try to do it ?
No one has any suggestions,thats a first.
post #15676 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The "issue" is that it's not possible. Apple has not licensed AirPlay video support to any non-Apple device. Audio only.

If you want to mirror you need to add an Apple TV.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #15677 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i have apple tv hooked up to the denon,do i need to hook it directly to my tv?
post #15678 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

apologies, I misread your post and didn't realize you already had an Apple TV. I thought you were trying to use the built-in AirPlay on the receiver itself.

there should be no issues with this -- what I suggest is to try connecting the ATV directly to the display *temporarily* just to confirm that you can get mirroring to work, when the receiver is removed as a variable.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #15679 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
greetings.

hello guys this is my first time to own this, i just received my Denon 1612, Enery take classic 5, and Dayton 1200 sub. what is the first thing i need to do? should i connect all the HDMI and Speakers wires first and then run the audyssy from the speaker after? any advice from the expert will do. thanks.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #15680 of 19258 Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:

If the HDMI switch works, go for it, although if the PJ cannot accept audio inputs, the AVR audio may be limited as well.

Why? I am not sure I understand this. The HDMI switch will pass the HDMI through and also pass the audio out through Toslink. Why would the PJ need to be part of this? (The PJ, and Epson 3010, will accept audio but I don't know that relying on that and ARC is the best way to go, and also when using my 2009 MacBook I need to send an independent Toslink signal for audio, which would be AVR only---another indication that the 2312 is what I'd need Denon-wise.)

It's a bit sad to have to bypass the whole V part of an AVR to be able to mix and match video and audio from different sources...
post #15681 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

greetings.
hello guys this is my first time to own this, i just received my Denon 1612, Enery take classic 5, and Dayton 1200 sub. what is the first thing i need to do? should i connect all the HDMI and Speakers wires first and then run the audyssy from the speaker after? any advice from the expert will do. thanks.

Yes, connect up the speakers/sub and then run Audyssey. Review the Audyssey FAQ/101 Guide linked in my sig to ensure you're setting the sub up correctly as well as using either a camera tripod or mic boom stand to support the mic.
caloyzki likes this.

"JD" –

post #15682 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 AM

Good Morning JD.

As you may remember, my 3808 was unupdated due to distance from the modem/router. At your suggestion, I ordered a 75 foot cable and did the full update last night. It took about 90 minutes, 14 issues, and was successful/complete.

From the Parameter Check menu, the Spkr Config Check has Front - Surround A as Large, the Distance Check has the correct measurements, the Channel Level Check has appropriate values given speaker sensitivities, and the Crossover Check is blank. I am not sure what to do with Restore Y/N.

From the Manual Setup menu, the Speaker Setup - Speaker Config has the sizes small, and the Crossover Frequency Advanced with F 80, C 100, S A 120 and LFE+Main 150.

What have I missed?

THanks, Jack
post #15683 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 AM
585-645-1006

Nothing, readings seem to be correct, although please direct further 3808CI specific questions to the Denon 3808CI Owner's thread. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/860539/the-official-denon-avr-3808ci-thread/0_100

"JD" –

post #15684 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks JD have done.

With regard to the 3312 and the interest in getting synced audio to the Kitchen and Patio adjacent to the main listening room, we have tried using the analog audio connections and HDMI between TV and AVR and Cable & Blu.

If we were HDMI bewteen Cable & Blu and TV, and Optical between Cable & Blu and 3312, would the 3312 Preouts be PCM 2.0 for use by an extra 1708 to drive the adjacent areas in sync with the main listening area?

Thanks, Jack
post #15685 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM
585-645-1006

No. PCM 2.0 is a digital audio signal which would be converted to analog prior to being sent out the pre-outs. Ensure you set the "Video Mode" setting (p. 92 OM) to "GAME" to mitigate any audio sync issues between the main zone and Zone 2.

"JD" –

post #15686 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks JD.

We will try the Game option on the Cable and Blu source setups. Do we need to keep the audio from the AVR (using Opt from Cable & Blu) or can we just use HDMI everywhere (from and to)?

Jack
post #15687 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Is there any discussion threads regarding the newer remote control that comes with the 2012 models? Specifically the absence of a stereo button as well as any dyn-eq or dyn-vol buttons (at least none that I can find). I've looked over the features mentioned on page 1 of this thread but most mentions of the remote reference either phone apps or using the remote to control other devices. Thanks.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #15688 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Those buttons were removed starting with the 2011 remotes and are now accessed via the GUI menu.

"JD" –

post #15689 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_foi View Post

Thanks JD.
We will try the Game option on the Cable and Blu source setups. Do we need to keep the audio from the AVR (using Opt from Cable & Blu) or can we just use HDMI everywhere (from and to)?
Jack

HDMI only is good for main zone listening.

"JD" –

post #15690 of 19258 Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

^^Those buttons were removed starting with the 2011 remotes and are now accessed via the GUI menu.

Thanks, but so that means the TV must be on for me to adjust the sound when I'm listening to music?
I have a 1910 with the trap door remote but picked up a 3312CI last month for the internet and HD radio.

Never thought I'd come to "love" the flip back remote! eek.gif

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page