The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 526 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

So then the AVR is receiving a DD 5.1 signal; however, as you have "Mult CH Stereo" mode selected the speakers are playing back the same 2.0 stereo in all speakers. Press/hold the "Movie" button on the remote to select other surround modes. Also note that unless the "INPUT MODE" is changed to "Digital" the HDMI input will take priority over the optical input assigned to the same source name as the HDMI input.

I feel stupid smile.gif. OK,I have remote RC-1158, it doesn't not have a button that says "movie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4764 Post(s)
Liked: 2488
^^
That's because the 1158 is the remote for the 1312, while the 1912 uses the 1156 remote. Get the correct remote and you'll have the "Movie" button.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM

Nevermind my remote upstairs was different a d had the movie button. All set!!! Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

vice? You mean device? on the Ps3 when I set it to HDMI I did manual and picked all the audio formats and proceeded, I just changed it to PCM and I still have no audio
So to recap on the PS3 I have under the video setting for HDMI set to PCM and on the 1612 I have it set to direct, in the info section it calls the sound PCM Zero.

I mean "vice" as in "instead of". When Decode mode is set to PCM, it will only play PCM audio instead of DTS audio, so it must be set to "Auto" to play both. The 1612 should be NOT be set to Direct, rather it should be set to either DD PLII or DTS. Do you have the older "fat" PS3 or "slim" PS3? If the slim, it should be set to "bitstream" vice "LPCM".
SubaruB4 likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM

avr2312ci.JPG 66k .JPG file Sorry guys for newbies question.
I own avr2312ci and lately have some problems with that. I uploaded my config back upon some Audyssey problems. All of sudden my volume decreased on all devices. Since I set up my denon while ago I forgot a little how to make it work "nice" way.

If you could guys take a look at the picture of my receiver. I checked w/ blue marker possible problem. Maybe I am wrong but are any lights in there should be ON?

Thank you so much for your responses and sorry for my broken English.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avr2312ci.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	64476  
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM
585-645-1006

The pic indicates the AVR is receiving a digital 2.0 signal.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM

I've been following this thread for a long time and I've finally pick up a 2112 ci from Best Buy on clearance for 350 + tax... Much better deal than from elec. Expo. I can't wait till I get home and set it up.
This is a long awaited upgrade from Onyko HTiB receiver, I believe its RC160 model. I'm using older Klipsch RF series in 5.1 setup.

JB
Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I mean "vice" as in "instead of". When Decode mode is set to PCM, it will only play PCM audio instead of DTS audio, so it must be set to "Auto" to play both. The 1612 should be NOT be set to Direct, rather it should be set to either DD PLII or DTS. Do you have the older "fat" PS3 or "slim" PS3? If the slim, it should be set to "bitstream" vice "LPCM".
Ah, but anyways I'm not 100% clear on how AVC and lossless works on flash drives but in my case playing a lossless file that's 7.1 it just shows up as being no sound, for both DTS or Dolby.. Now my PS3 is a slim and it's set to bitstream, on the receiver it's set to auto.

Putting in a real movie instead of using a sound demo I see my receiver switch to TrueHD or DTS HD MA but what makes a lossless file on a flash drive not want to have audio? Given it's about 10% larger in size as well.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM
585-645-1006

The USB input cannot process lossless 7.1 channel audio.
SubaruB4 likes this.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The USB input cannot process lossless 7.1 channel audio.
wow thought it was going to work..I'm going to do a video

Here are the videos I forgot to make it one part so I had to do a two part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzS8dGf6Ow&feature=youtu.be

2nd part putting in Mission Impossible: Ghost protocol showing it decoding TrueHD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEXGezYC3Y&feature=youtu.be
Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM

avr.JPG 32k .JPG file
Quote:

The pic indicates the AVR is receiving a digital 2.0 signal.

Thanks jdsmoothie,
I do have 5.1 setup and I feel something is not going right. the sound doesn't sound like before. What does digital 2.0 signal mean? Can I do anything to sound better? I noticed when I switch to channel with AC3 audio track there is no difference noticed on the front of the receiver. still digital 2.0 signal in front of receiver frown.gif how to change it?

little update: after little looking up into my cable setup I was able to turn off AC3 downmix. I guess I am receiving now 5.1 sound from HD channels however I noticed that volume decreased little bit. That's the way it should be? I just need a little hint with that staff?
What does AC3 downmix mean??

thank you again for your great help....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avr.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	64477  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Liked: 14
quick question

i want to rerun audyssey tomorrow to try and get my sub to 0, it is set at -2.5 now

what i did the first time is run the first sequence of audyssey, then check what it was set at and reset the receiver to run audyssey again. is that the right thing to do when reunning audyssey? to reset the receiver?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I must be doing wrong, the HDMI CEC control I turned it on the receiver and the TV, but say I turn off my tv but the receiver is still on.. Or if I turn the receiver off but I still have my PS3 on the screen will go blank then the Ps3 screen still shows and does not turn off.

Like I said maybe I have it wrong but the HDMI cable is going from the receiver's out to HDMI 1 on the TV and the PS3 is plugged into HDMI 4 on the receiver, seems to be more problems then it's worth.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgar View Post

avr.JPG 32k .JPG file
Thanks jdsmoothie,
I do have 5.1 setup and I feel something is not going right. the sound doesn't sound like before. What does digital 2.0 signal mean? Can I do anything to sound better? I noticed when I switch to channel with AC3 audio track there is no difference noticed on the front of the receiver. still digital 2.0 signal in front of receiver frown.gif how to change it?
little update: after little looking up into my cable setup I was able to turn off AC3 downmix. I guess I am receiving now 5.1 sound from HD channels however I noticed that volume decreased little bit. That's the way it should be? I just need a little hint with that staff?
What does AC3 downmix mean??
thank you again for your great help....

A digital 2.0 signal is a stereo signal ... 2 channels (L and R) while an AC3 signal is DD 5.1 and 5 Ch (L,C,R,SL,SR). So when you have AC3 selected on the cable box it plays DD 5.1 while "AC3 downmix" would be stereo 2.0.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

quick question
i want to rerun audyssey tomorrow to try and get my sub to 0, it is set at -2.5 now
what i did the first time is run the first sequence of audyssey, then check what it was set at and reset the receiver to run audyssey again. is that the right thing to do when reunning audyssey? to reset the receiver?

First off, there's no reason to rerun Audyssey just to get the sub to 0db as it's fine where it's set at -2.5db. If by "reset the receiver" you mean you reset the microprocessor, then no, you don't have to do that, rather you can simply either "Cancel" the process or unplug the mic.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Something I must be doing wrong, the HDMI CEC control I turned it on the receiver and the TV, but say I turn off my tv but the receiver is still on.. Or if I turn the receiver off but I still have my PS3 on the screen will go blank then the Ps3 screen still shows and does not turn off.
Like I said maybe I have it wrong but the HDMI cable is going from the receiver's out to HDMI 1 on the TV and the PS3 is plugged into HDMI 4 on the receiver, seems to be more problems then it's worth.

HDMI-CEC doens't always work with some components; however, once set, you must power off and then power back on the components.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Fingers crossed: my 3312 is scheduled to be delivered from FedEx today after it's second stint going out for repair. The NJ location did not find anything wrong with it but did reset it and update the firmware so perhaps something was wrong w/my updated firmware? In any event if I run Audyssey and still get wonky crossovers I'll know that it is the mic for sure.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Good luck. I love mine so far no problems...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 46
do you guys, adjust or tweaks anything from the receiver after the audyssey set up finished?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM
585-645-1006

If you are new to an Audyssey featured AVR, suggest leaving the settings as is (other than resetting any speakers to SMALL/80Hz if set to LARGE after running Audyssey) for at least a few weeks to adjust to the levels the mixer intended you to hear them. If after that time you want to boost the sub a few db, doing so will not impact the EQ filters. Waiting really only applies to the sub adjustment, as if you need to bump the center speaker or a surround speaker for clarity, do so now.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
can anyone else confirm some popping/clicking from the rear speakers on true 7.1 audio movies with the denon 2112 receiver? curious to see if anyone else has this problem before i call denon about it. thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI-CEC doens't always work with some components; however, once set, you must power off and then power back on the components.

I ended up just turning it off period too bad... would of been nice for someone that does not know the steps of turning the AVR on.

One thing that confuses me are the quick select buttons, it seems dumb.. but it could just be me... but say I'm watching a movie but I press the black source button but I want to edit a setting then I need to press the quick select button to get into the settings, seems like a waste of buttons and time.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm looking around for an easy way to change the Dynamic Volume setting whenever it seems appropriate. After a lot of searching around, the best I can tell is this:

• There appears to be no "one button" way to do it from the remote
  • There appears to be no way to program a "one button" setting on a Harmony remote
  • There appears to be no way to do it from the Denon iPhone remote app
  • You can wander through the setup menus with the remote
  • You can do it from the browser interface to the setup menu

Did I miss some easy way? Fumbling for the laptop just doesn't seem to be a great solution, but seems like it's probably the best one right now. I'm quite surprised I can't find it in the iPhone app - and a part of me feels settings such as this used to be there in prior versions of the app. Wandering through the setup menu with the remote just feels like a non-starter to me. Too many steps.

Just wondering if I missed something in my searching. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Thank you so much jdsmoothie for your help.

Looks like I will have to turn AC3 downmix OFF.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwjames5 View Post

I'm looking around for an easy way to change the Dynamic Volume setting whenever it seems appropriate... Too many steps. Just wondering if I missed something in my searching.

Been wondering about all that myself. Seems stupid to have so many buttons on the remote that I never use, yet there's no straightforward method to do the things that I do so often.

Quote:

One thing that confuses me are the quick select buttons, it seems dumb.. but it could just be me...

I use the Q/S buttons to establish a baseline setting for EQ and such, normally using the device select buttons to go back to the immediate previous setting but use QS to start from baseline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

can anyone else confirm some popping/clicking from the rear speakers on true 7.1 audio movies with the denon 2112 receiver? curious to see if anyone else has this problem before i call denon about it. thanks

I've never experienced that myself but have read here just recently that it seems to affect the 2012 models.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwjames5 View Post

I'm looking around for an easy way to change the Dynamic Volume setting whenever it seems appropriate. After a lot of searching around, the best I can tell is this:

• There appears to be no "one button" way to do it from the remote
  • There appears to be no way to program a "one button" setting on a Harmony remote
  • There appears to be no way to do it from the Denon iPhone remote app
  • You can wander through the setup menus with the remote
  • You can do it from the browser interface to the setup menu

Did I miss some easy way?

In general you are correct -- there is no command on the remote or in the iPhone app that allows you to access Dynamic EQ/Volume settings. You are also correct that the only "built in" way to do this is to use the web browser (although note that you can do this on your iPhone too, you don't have to fire up the laptop). It does seem silly that it's not part of the iPhone app though.... hopefully they will add it to a future update.

However, there *IS* a way to get this kind of control on your Harmony remote. The problem is that the commands you need aren't part of the default code set for the xx12 or xx13 Denon receiver devices, because Harmony only supports (officially) what's on the factory remote, and these buttons don't exist anymore.

The key is how to get the commands you want. There are a couple of "hard" ways -- for example, there are some "hacks" that you can find to load the commands in yourself (check out RemoteCentral.com for this type of stuff), and if you are really adventurous you can buy a second remote (e.g. a URC brand model) that can take raw pronto or hex codes and use that as your "teaching" remote to learn commands for the Harmony.

There are also a couple of easier ways:

Easiest: Although the xx12 and xx13 models no longer have these control buttons on their remotes, older models with Dyn EQ/Vol do (xx9, xx10, and xx11 models). By adding an older Denon AVR device to your Harmony profile, you can gain access to these commands. You can add the command to any activity by adding the "dummy device" to that activity (and just using it to assign the command you want to a given button), or if you email Harmony tech support and sweet talk them they may copy the device from the other Denon AVR device to your primary Denon device (in which case you can then delete the "dummy" device). Alternately, if you have a second Harmony remote around you can use one to "teach" the other.

The older Denons work like so:

xx09 models = had one Dyn EQ/Vol button on the remote that cycled between three states: both OFF, Dyn EQ on with Dyn Vol off, and then both ON.

xx10 models = had two buttons, one labeled "Dyn EQ" turned Dyn EQ on and off, one labeled "Dyn Vol" turned Dyn Vol on and off.

xx11 models = had one button labeled Dyn EQ/Vol which cycled between FIVE states: both OFF, Dyn EQ on with Dyn Vol off, and then both ON with each of the three Dyn Vol modes (Day > Evening > Midnight).

Since it sounds like you want to be able to switch Dyn Vol modes, the xx11 model should do the trick. Try adding AVR-4311ci to your account and see if the "DynamicEQ" button does what you need.

Potentially Easier, but if Harmony tech support gives you hassle could end up harder: Many users (myself included) have had success emailing Harmony tech support and requesting that they add the raw hex code directly to their Denon device profile. Below are the raw hex codes for the Dyn EQ and Vol discretes, which if added will give you complete control. I have all my Activities set up such that the 1,2,3 buttons correspond to Day, Evening, Midnight... anyway, you can try emailing Harmony support (logitech_us@mailca.custhelp.com) and request that they add these hex codes to your Denon AVR device profile, then copy/paste the codes below into the email and cross your fingers:

Dynamic EQ All Off
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

Dynamic EQ On - Dynamic Volume Off
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

Dynamic EQ On - Dynamic Volume On
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

Dynamic Volume - Day
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

Dynamic Volume - Evening
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

Dynamic Volume - Midnight
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE
mr.pope likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^^^ I did the first option since the new remotes no longer have the dedicated "dimmer" button and my older Denon did so I've kept that button to use for my newer Denon's since I keep the lights on every device 'off' to make it as dark as possible but when i want to verify what the Denon is outputting I put the dimmer back 'on'.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM

i just read somewhere someone was worried about getting warranty for their speakers, ppl's general response seems to be that "the speakres are reliable...and thse are speakers not amps"

i recentl bought this 1712 amp refurbed almost two months ago from a4l but forgot to get extra warranty for this...afaik there's nothign wrong with it.

i'm thinking may be i shouldl'v gotten extra warranty

My 5.1 audio system bedroom setup:
10'1" L x 9'11" D x 8' H. One corner opens up to a space (for the door to open/close) that measures 2'4" L x 2'11" D x 8' H.
AVR: Denon 1712
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS41-LR
Center: Pioneer SP-C21
Rear: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR
Subwoofer: SVS PC12-NSD
TV: Samsung UN46EH6070...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
585-645-1006

Not sure what is driving your question? You get a 1 year Denon warranty on the refurb from AC4L and it's very possible your credit card provider may add a 2nd year (Amex will do this for sure). 2 years is the standard warranty on new AVRs.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
that was probably my comment in another thread you are referring to. it was not meant to say these are bad. you are reading into things way too far. i was simply saying that 25 years from now, the speakers will still work fine more than likely if taken care of properly. a 25 year old receiver/amp may not be as likely to work as well. it is not saying any brand or anything is bad, it is just the way it is. just like a 25 year old furnace may be at the end of its useful life, but the heating ducts are just fine.

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver