The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 526 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a few questions to ask, I just got a AVR 1612 and last night I noticed I had that HDMI static look when I connected my PS3 to the game HDMI port but when I switched it over to the BD port it was fine, why is this?

Also I put a few lossless files on my PS3 to demo like the DTS Paint Symphony lossless and Dolby Spheres v2 lossless and both give me no sound at all but when I pop in a movie the receiver decodes it so I'm a bit confused on why it's happening like that. I switched the PS3 from optical to HDMI for audio.. anything else I could of missed??

Also I just noticed this I use my 40" as a PC monitor and switching to it causes the receiver to switch to TV in which say I have the Ipod playing it stops and just waits on TV, is it possible I can stop this from happening when I switch to TV or in this case my computer on my PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2626 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
1. The HDMI static issue could be the result of a loose HDMI connection ... try other HDMI cable connections to the GAME input. If other sources work on the Game port than no worries.

2. Regarding the DTS HD-MA 7.1 file, do you have a 5.1 setup or 7.1 setup? As noted a few posts up, member mgrotel is also having issues with DTS HD-MA 7.1 files as well.

3. Try turning HDMI-CEC on the 40" TV to OFF (Anynet+, VieraLink, BraviaSync, SimpLink, etc.).
SubaruB4 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although it may, your issue with HDMI is likely source related. Check the INFORMATION - Audio Signal menu (p. 81 OM) on the AVR to see what type signal is being received from each source device. If it's only 2.0 then the source is only passing a stereo signal.

I reset the sat box. I get the DD symbol and says Dolby digital on the receiver. But I can only get multi channel stereo in my surround settings. My audio signal says

surround mode - multi channel stereo
Signal - Dolby digital
Fs - 48kHz
Format - 3/2/.1
Offset -7dB

I watched xmen first class on HBO. Should be 5.1. All speakers sound like they are putting out the same signal and sound. IE there's no difference between the rear speakers and the front ones. Any other thoughts? I'm stuck. Put an optical in too but I don't think its reading that, still shows HDMI on the avr.

Andrew
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. The HDMI static issue could be the result of a loose HDMI connection ... try other HDMI cable connections to the GAME input. If other sources work on the Game port than no worries.
2. Regarding the DTS HD-MA 7.1 file, do you have a 5.1 setup or 7.1 setup? As noted a few posts up, member mgrotel is also having issues with DTS HD-MA 7.1 files as well.
3. Try turning HDMI-CEC on the 40" TV to OFF (Anynet+, VieraLink, BraviaSync, SimpLink, etc.).

Thanks for responding when you say loose HDMI connection do you mean the cable or the connector?

For the DTS-HD MA I have a 5.1 setup I just get no sound at all but I get video looking at the file when it's playing it's not showing any audio So I don't know what I did wrong, I thought lossless stuff would of been the same as DTS just that the receiver would see the file and decode what matched.

I turned off the HDMI-CEC so it's good now smile.gif
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 AM
585-645-1006

1. Either cable issue or jack issue.
2. Check the AVR's "INFORMATION" menu to determine what type signal is actually being received when the files are playing. On what medium are the files being input to the PS3?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpandrewschmidt View Post

I reset the sat box. I get the DD symbol and says Dolby digital on the receiver. But I can only get multi channel stereo in my surround settings. My audio signal says
surround mode - multi channel stereo
Signal - Dolby digital
Fs - 48kHz
Format - 3/2/.1
Offset -7dB
I watched xmen first class on HBO. Should be 5.1. All speakers sound like they are putting out the same signal and sound. IE there's no difference between the rear speakers and the front ones. Any other thoughts? I'm stuck. Put an optical in too but I don't think its reading that, still shows HDMI on the avr.
Andrew

So then the AVR is receiving a DD 5.1 signal; however, as you have "Mult CH Stereo" mode selected the speakers are playing back the same 2.0 stereo in all speakers. Press/hold the "Movie" button on the remote to select other surround modes. Also note that unless the "INPUT MODE" is changed to "Digital" the HDMI input will take priority over the optical input assigned to the same source name as the HDMI input.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Either cable issue or jack issue.
2. Check the AVR's "INFORMATION" menu to determine what type signal is actually being received when the files are playing. On what medium are the files being input to the PS3?

How can it play DTS MA fine but not do a file on a USB drive? I have no problems with DTS or DD sound files

If you want to test for yourself you can see here.
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

The files in question are

DTS:

Paint Symphony (Lossless)

Dolby:

Spheres v2 (Lossless)

On the status page it shows the surround mode as direct and the input as auto and the decode mode as PCM

on the info page for audio it says direct for the surround mode and the signal is unknown.

I might reset the processor again
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM
585-645-1006

Set "Decode Mode" to "Auto" vice "PCM".

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Set "Decode Mode" to "Auto" vice "PCM".
vice? You mean device? on the Ps3 when I set it to HDMI I did manual and picked all the audio formats and proceeded, I just changed it to PCM and I still have no audio

So to recap on the PS3 I have under the video setting for HDMI set to PCM and on the 1612 I have it set to direct, in the info section it calls the sound PCM Zero.

OK here is what I think.. those lossless files on a USB drive for some reason I think they have to be made into a disc or something I was looking at a list of movies that have True HD and I found the last mission impossible so I popped it in and my receiver shows it as True HD

and I'm sure it would be too much effort to put these demo tests on a DVD? I assume you just can't dump them on the disc since it would just act like the flash drive and not give sound on the lossless stuff.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:

So then the AVR is receiving a DD 5.1 signal; however, as you have "Mult CH Stereo" mode selected the speakers are playing back the same 2.0 stereo in all speakers. Press/hold the "Movie" button on the remote to select other surround modes. Also note that unless the "INPUT MODE" is changed to "Digital" the HDMI input will take priority over the optical input assigned to the same source name as the HDMI input.

I feel stupid smile.gif. OK,I have remote RC-1158, it doesn't not have a button that says "movie"
Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 AM
585-645-1006

^^
That's because the 1158 is the remote for the 1312, while the 1912 uses the 1156 remote. Get the correct remote and you'll have the "Movie" button.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 AM

Nevermind my remote upstairs was different a d had the movie button. All set!!! Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

vice? You mean device? on the Ps3 when I set it to HDMI I did manual and picked all the audio formats and proceeded, I just changed it to PCM and I still have no audio
So to recap on the PS3 I have under the video setting for HDMI set to PCM and on the 1612 I have it set to direct, in the info section it calls the sound PCM Zero.

I mean "vice" as in "instead of". When Decode mode is set to PCM, it will only play PCM audio instead of DTS audio, so it must be set to "Auto" to play both. The 1612 should be NOT be set to Direct, rather it should be set to either DD PLII or DTS. Do you have the older "fat" PS3 or "slim" PS3? If the slim, it should be set to "bitstream" vice "LPCM".
SubaruB4 likes this.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM

avr2312ci.JPG 66k .JPG file Sorry guys for newbies question.
I own avr2312ci and lately have some problems with that. I uploaded my config back upon some Audyssey problems. All of sudden my volume decreased on all devices. Since I set up my denon while ago I forgot a little how to make it work "nice" way.

If you could guys take a look at the picture of my receiver. I checked w/ blue marker possible problem. Maybe I am wrong but are any lights in there should be ON?

Thank you so much for your responses and sorry for my broken English.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avr2312ci.JPG (66.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
585-645-1006

The pic indicates the AVR is receiving a digital 2.0 signal.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 03:51 PM

I've been following this thread for a long time and I've finally pick up a 2112 ci from Best Buy on clearance for 350 + tax... Much better deal than from elec. Expo. I can't wait till I get home and set it up.
This is a long awaited upgrade from Onyko HTiB receiver, I believe its RC160 model. I'm using older Klipsch RF series in 5.1 setup.

JB
Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean "vice" as in "instead of". When Decode mode is set to PCM, it will only play PCM audio instead of DTS audio, so it must be set to "Auto" to play both. The 1612 should be NOT be set to Direct, rather it should be set to either DD PLII or DTS. Do you have the older "fat" PS3 or "slim" PS3? If the slim, it should be set to "bitstream" vice "LPCM".
Ah, but anyways I'm not 100% clear on how AVC and lossless works on flash drives but in my case playing a lossless file that's 7.1 it just shows up as being no sound, for both DTS or Dolby.. Now my PS3 is a slim and it's set to bitstream, on the receiver it's set to auto.

Putting in a real movie instead of using a sound demo I see my receiver switch to TrueHD or DTS HD MA but what makes a lossless file on a flash drive not want to have audio? Given it's about 10% larger in size as well.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM
585-645-1006

The USB input cannot process lossless 7.1 channel audio.
SubaruB4 likes this.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The USB input cannot process lossless 7.1 channel audio.
wow thought it was going to work..I'm going to do a video

Here are the videos I forgot to make it one part so I had to do a two part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzS8dGf6Ow&feature=youtu.be

2nd part putting in Mission Impossible: Ghost protocol showing it decoding TrueHD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEXGezYC3Y&feature=youtu.be
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM

avr.JPG 32k .JPG file
Quote:

The pic indicates the AVR is receiving a digital 2.0 signal.

Thanks jdsmoothie,
I do have 5.1 setup and I feel something is not going right. the sound doesn't sound like before. What does digital 2.0 signal mean? Can I do anything to sound better? I noticed when I switch to channel with AC3 audio track there is no difference noticed on the front of the receiver. still digital 2.0 signal in front of receiver frown.gif how to change it?

little update: after little looking up into my cable setup I was able to turn off AC3 downmix. I guess I am receiving now 5.1 sound from HD channels however I noticed that volume decreased little bit. That's the way it should be? I just need a little hint with that staff?
What does AC3 downmix mean??

thank you again for your great help....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avr.JPG (32.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 14
quick question

i want to rerun audyssey tomorrow to try and get my sub to 0, it is set at -2.5 now

what i did the first time is run the first sequence of audyssey, then check what it was set at and reset the receiver to run audyssey again. is that the right thing to do when reunning audyssey? to reset the receiver?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I must be doing wrong, the HDMI CEC control I turned it on the receiver and the TV, but say I turn off my tv but the receiver is still on.. Or if I turn the receiver off but I still have my PS3 on the screen will go blank then the Ps3 screen still shows and does not turn off.

Like I said maybe I have it wrong but the HDMI cable is going from the receiver's out to HDMI 1 on the TV and the PS3 is plugged into HDMI 4 on the receiver, seems to be more problems then it's worth.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgar View Post

avr.JPG 32k .JPG file
Thanks jdsmoothie,
I do have 5.1 setup and I feel something is not going right. the sound doesn't sound like before. What does digital 2.0 signal mean? Can I do anything to sound better? I noticed when I switch to channel with AC3 audio track there is no difference noticed on the front of the receiver. still digital 2.0 signal in front of receiver frown.gif how to change it?
little update: after little looking up into my cable setup I was able to turn off AC3 downmix. I guess I am receiving now 5.1 sound from HD channels however I noticed that volume decreased little bit. That's the way it should be? I just need a little hint with that staff?
What does AC3 downmix mean??
thank you again for your great help....

A digital 2.0 signal is a stereo signal ... 2 channels (L and R) while an AC3 signal is DD 5.1 and 5 Ch (L,C,R,SL,SR). So when you have AC3 selected on the cable box it plays DD 5.1 while "AC3 downmix" would be stereo 2.0.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

quick question
i want to rerun audyssey tomorrow to try and get my sub to 0, it is set at -2.5 now
what i did the first time is run the first sequence of audyssey, then check what it was set at and reset the receiver to run audyssey again. is that the right thing to do when reunning audyssey? to reset the receiver?

First off, there's no reason to rerun Audyssey just to get the sub to 0db as it's fine where it's set at -2.5db. If by "reset the receiver" you mean you reset the microprocessor, then no, you don't have to do that, rather you can simply either "Cancel" the process or unplug the mic.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Something I must be doing wrong, the HDMI CEC control I turned it on the receiver and the TV, but say I turn off my tv but the receiver is still on.. Or if I turn the receiver off but I still have my PS3 on the screen will go blank then the Ps3 screen still shows and does not turn off.
Like I said maybe I have it wrong but the HDMI cable is going from the receiver's out to HDMI 1 on the TV and the PS3 is plugged into HDMI 4 on the receiver, seems to be more problems then it's worth.

HDMI-CEC doens't always work with some components; however, once set, you must power off and then power back on the components.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Fingers crossed: my 3312 is scheduled to be delivered from FedEx today after it's second stint going out for repair. The NJ location did not find anything wrong with it but did reset it and update the firmware so perhaps something was wrong w/my updated firmware? In any event if I run Audyssey and still get wonky crossovers I'll know that it is the mic for sure.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Good luck. I love mine so far no problems...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 46
do you guys, adjust or tweaks anything from the receiver after the audyssey set up finished?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
585-645-1006

If you are new to an Audyssey featured AVR, suggest leaving the settings as is (other than resetting any speakers to SMALL/80Hz if set to LARGE after running Audyssey) for at least a few weeks to adjust to the levels the mixer intended you to hear them. If after that time you want to boost the sub a few db, doing so will not impact the EQ filters. Waiting really only applies to the sub adjustment, as if you need to bump the center speaker or a surround speaker for clarity, do so now.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
can anyone else confirm some popping/clicking from the rear speakers on true 7.1 audio movies with the denon 2112 receiver? curious to see if anyone else has this problem before i call denon about it. thanks

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver