The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 535 - AVS Forum
First ... 533  534  535 536  537  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread
imcclarr's Avatar imcclarr 12:47 PM 11-07-2012
Hey Guys,

I had a question for you that I am sure you could weigh in on. And before you jump down my throat about searching this threat first, I can assure that I have spent that past few weeks scouring not only this forum, but many other sites for information...

I currently have the Denon-1912 Receiver, with a 6.1 Onkyo Speaker setup (they are from a HTIB I got about 8-9 years ago). I want a new HD Speaker Setup and know that 9 year old, HTIB Speakers are NOT the way to go, so it's time for an upgrade. I am looking at spending around $500 for a new 5.1 Setup (I will can use 2 of the Onkyo satellite speakers to make it 7.1), and wanted to get some speaker suggestions from people who actually have the same setup as I do. I am not to familiar with the best brands/ kinds of speakers out there (as I said, I've had the Onkyo's for 8-9 years now).

I've been looking at the Energy Take 5.1 ($399.99)/ 5.0 Setup ($199.99 and buying a separate Subwoofer):

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352317605&sr=8-1&keywords=energy+take+5.1

And the Jamo 5 Piece Home Theater Package ($199.98 + separate Subwoofer):

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Piece-Theater-Package-Black/dp/B003BPPAB0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352317639&sr=8-3&keywords=Jamo

However, I know that these are entry level setups (which is why they are so cheap!), so I am looking for any suggestions for these speakers or any others that you guys recommend. I am willing to buy piece by piece as well, as long as the final cost is around $500 (+/-).

The size of my room is 16ft by 13ft, with vaulted ceilings (estimate around 12ft+). I will use my setup exclusively for Movies, Videogames, and Music (I don't watch TV).

Thanks in advance,
Ian

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:00 PM 11-07-2012
After you use the MOVIE button to select DD, you must re-memorize (ie. press/hold for a few seconds) that setting to whatever Quick Select button you are using, otherwise it won't be saved.
IcyEyes's Avatar IcyEyes 01:19 PM 11-07-2012
I really hope to find a solution or at least a link that guide me smile.gif

My problem is pretty simple :

I've a Fatality X79 motherboard with 5 jacks (green, pink, orange, etc) and one optical.

I can't figure out how to make all my speaker sound.

I have a 5.1 system (Polk Black Stone)

For sure I'll miss some useful piece of information, so please, have a bit patience with me. Thanks smile.gif
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:42 PM 11-07-2012
On the motherboard settings, set the audio to go out the optical output (see motherboard Owner's manual). Connect an optical cable from the motherboard to the optical input on the 1912 (or do you have a 1913 as this is the XX12 Owner's thread?). You can then change the source name for the optical input on the 1912 to another source name if you choose using the Input Assign (Digital) setting.
IcyEyes's Avatar IcyEyes 02:01 PM 11-07-2012
Sorry, sorry !!!
I've the 1913!

Anyway I will try immediately smile.gif Thanks!

just added a new post in the 1913 owners smile.gif
batpig's Avatar batpig 02:28 PM 11-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcclarr View Post

I've been looking at the Energy Take 5.1 ($399.99)/ 5.0 Setup ($199.99 and buying a separate Subwoofer):

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352317605&sr=8-1&keywords=energy+take+5.1

And the Jamo 5 Piece Home Theater Package ($199.98 + separate Subwoofer):

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Piece-Theater-Package-Black/dp/B003BPPAB0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352317639&sr=8-3&keywords=Jamo

However, I know that these are entry level setups (which is why they are so cheap!), so I am looking for any suggestions for these speakers or any others that you guys recommend. I am willing to buy piece by piece as well, as long as the final cost is around $500 (+/-).

The size of my room is 16ft by 13ft, with vaulted ceilings (estimate around 12ft+). I will use my setup exclusively for Movies, Videogames, and Music (I don't watch TV).

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Ian - If you go with the Energy Takes or another satellite package, I definitely would recommend getting a separate subwoofer. You will get a lot more bang for the buck that way.

Your room is small enough that small satellites will be pretty good, but the old adage is "there is no replacement for displacement" and larger speakers will perform more easily.

By far the best value will be on the used market if you are willing to go that route.

I did a quick look on Phoenix craigslist and this seems to be a good value: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/3377690695.html

See if you can bargain that down a bit. Then you can start saving up for a separate subwoofer if you find you want more bass impact than the built-in subs in the towers provide.
SubaruB4's Avatar SubaruB4 05:26 PM 11-07-2012
Can someone tell me why this happens? It's annoying, so I press one of the buttons on the AVR-1612 remote (BD) to watch a movie but I'm unable to check the menu by pressing menu or channel level, nothing shows up on the screen at all.

Is that normal? I feel it should show regardless.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:29 PM 11-07-2012
Check out post #3 of this thread ... lots of great info to include the following ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L14
SubaruB4's Avatar SubaruB4 05:35 PM 11-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Check out post #3 of this thread ... lots of great info to include the following ...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L14

Thanks, it seems to be a minor annoyance.
alokeprasad's Avatar alokeprasad 06:31 PM 11-07-2012
I can hardly believe that I am asking this question after using the 2312ci for 6 months or so. This whole DD, THX etc is confusing unless one dives deep into Wikipedia smile.gif

I have a 7.1 speaker system. My players (PS3, Sammy BD player) are set to bitstream, so that the 2312 will be doing the decoding.

For a typical modern BD or DVD, which will typically have DD (in various flavors), D True HD, THX or not (this is not a encoding protcol, right?) or whatever, which one should I select using the Movie button? I want to be true to what the movie director intended the soundscape to be like.

Is there a way to set this setting so that the "correct" setting will be selected by the receiver based on the disk being played?
This is also a question that comes up when channel surfing on my Dish system, when different channels or programs seem to be encoded differently.

If the incoming sound is shown to be 5.1 in the Denon display, what is the implication of selecting one of the DD + PL IIx to extend it to 7.1?
The answer is going to be subjective, but I'd like your opinion.

I'm being lazy here, but my family gets bugged by me playing with the Movie button on the remote for the first 5 min of every movie, trying out the various choices. I just want to set it and forget it.

TIA
Aloke
SubaruB4's Avatar SubaruB4 06:36 PM 11-07-2012
on my 1612 I press the direct button, from what I understand it bypasses all the sound modes?

I have to double check again because I swore I was playing a movie and it was DTS MA but in the channel menu only the front left and right was playing.. But I noticed today it was fine in direct.
imcclarr's Avatar imcclarr 07:09 PM 11-07-2012
Thanks Batpig,

Do you have any suggestions on a good sub? I keep hearing how important it is...

I will look around a bit at the smaller sized speaker setup then... I'm sure that I could find some pretty sweet deals. And thanks for that Craigslist link... I will follow up on that.

Thanks,
Ian
light_man's Avatar light_man 04:57 AM 11-08-2012
Quote:

What model AVR do you have? Do you use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 when watching SD channels or do you listen in stereo (FL/FR) only?

my model is the AVR-2312

when watching SD its just stereo (FR / FL)
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:34 AM 11-08-2012
The 2312CI features a custom set of 2CH Stereo settings (p. 107 OM) in which you can adjust the volume +/-12db for the FL/FR speakers. When the SD channel is playing, select the STEREO surround mode to engage these custom settings.
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 12:54 PM 11-08-2012
Well - here's my update (for those that are bored and know what I've experienced):
Replacement crossover arrived for one of my fronts. Replaced it, re-ran Audyssey: same EQ results (woefully off).
So I unplugged the fronts, unplugged my surrounds and plugged them into the front inputs on the AVR and moved the rear surrounds to the surround plugs. Re-ran audyssey: the EQ settings for the fronts (formerly the surrounds) ended up the same as when they were when plugged into the surrounds.
So is it the speakers or AVR?
I can't explain why the 3808 (which I've used twice when I've shipped out the 3312 for repair and had used for the past few years before getting the 3312) has a realistic EQ for the fronts and doesn't cause the tweeters to clip and why the 3312 does.

SO: I moved the surrounds and rear surrounds back to their speaker inputs, plugged the fronts back into the fronts, manually added the rear surrounds, set the crossovers on the rears, did NOT run audyssety and that's where i'm at.

No clipping in the tweeters now and I'm too darn scared to run audyssey again so I'll leave it in its Frankenstein state.

confused.gif
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 01:04 PM 11-08-2012
Wryker,

Sorry, I've forgotten: have you tried a replacement microphone?

Several people have reported getting anomalous Audyssey calibrations which were traced to defective microphones.
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 01:10 PM 11-08-2012
On the phone with Denon they said (and I would agree) if it was a faulty microphone it'd impact all the speakers and not just the fronts. It just makes no sense. I've replaced the tweeter and then the crossover: but still showing the lows and highs @-20!! So I'll keep it like it is now........and maybe buy an Onkyo or different model in the next couple years.
I've had at least 4 Denon's in a row and this is the first time something has happened and I only fear it's a sign of things to come.
mgrotel's Avatar mgrotel 01:22 PM 11-08-2012
you cant take it in for repair?
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 01:55 PM 11-08-2012
Closest center is several hundred miles away: and I've already shipped it to not one, but TWO Supercenters and they both found nothing wrong w/the AVR.
mgrotel's Avatar mgrotel 02:19 PM 11-08-2012
will denon swap you a new one, especially since they say the one you have is fine, they should have no problem taking the good one back.
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 02:45 PM 11-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

will denon swap you a new one, especially since they say the one you have is fine, they should have no problem taking the good one back.

I'm mustering up the strength to call them to do 'battle'. I've paid @$100 in shipping charges and when I call them I'm going to push for a new unit but not at my expense to ship it to them. This will be my 4-5 call in the last 4 months to them.
Dru the Fu's Avatar Dru the Fu 02:49 PM 11-08-2012
I recently purchased a 3312CI. I have 2 PS3's; one is a newer Slim and the other the older FAT. I'm trying to determine which to hook up to my Denon and which to relegate back up to the bedroom. For the purpose of audio quality, compatibility, and configurations, which unit would be better suited to connect to the Denon? From what I read, the Slim has the bitstream option, the Fat does not. I also read that the only real noticeable difference in having the bitstream enabled on the PS3 is to see the cool little display lights on the AVR light up, and perhaps some secondary audio for menu actions and possible special feature commentary. I've read through a number of AVS threads and most say that there is not audible difference in sound quality. True/False (from your experience)?

Recommendations needed:

Option 1) PS3 Fat --> Denon 3312CI
Option 2) PS3 Slim --> Denon 3312CI

Thanks in advance, and this will probably not be the last time this thread hears from me.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 02:58 PM 11-08-2012
^^^

there's no reason to believe there would be a sound quality difference one way or the other...

you've already figured out the "fancy lights" difference, so that's good... smile.gif

i'd use the slim in whatever location gets the most use... simply because it likely runs cooler...
batpig's Avatar batpig 02:59 PM 11-08-2012
It's true, there isn't any difference in sound quality. It doesn't matter where the audio is 'unpacked'.
nautilus11's Avatar nautilus11 09:38 PM 11-08-2012
Hi all,
I was having issues with HDMI sound with cable box, but resetting to default setup fixed the issue.
However, now I have another issue. I had not plugged in my sub yet (energy), couldnt find the cable smile.gif . Hooked it up today but there is no sound from sub. Tried the Audyssey auto setup too, it does not find Sub. Tried manual setup for Sub, still now sound. Its completely dead. Just to make sure, I hooked the sub to my old Onkyo and it is working fine.
Is it possible that I have a faulty AMP? is there any settings I am missing? Please help!
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:15 AM 11-09-2012
If the sub has an ON/AUTO/OFF switch, set it to ON rather than AUTO. Make sure it is securely fitted at each end into the sub and AVR. Try resetting the microprocessor again. If still no joy, then the unit will likely need to be repaired.
nautilus11's Avatar nautilus11 08:36 AM 11-09-2012
Quote:

If the sub has an ON/AUTO/OFF switch, set it to ON rather than AUTO. Make sure it is securely fitted at each end into the sub and AVR. Try resetting the microprocessor again. If still no joy, then the unit will likely need to be repaired.
Thanks, it was a settings Issue. The Audysseyy setup had set the front speakers as Large during auto config and thus, it turned off the sub. I manually set the speakers to small and was able to get the sub working.
TooByFoor's Avatar TooByFoor 09:41 AM 11-09-2012
I know there's lots of information out here with regards to the AVR 1312 (and other AVR) and handshake issues with cableboxes and such. I had a AVR 391 prior to January when lightning hit my house (and sent me on a electronics shopping spree!), and I replaced it with a 1312 simply because it was the equal replacement. I had minor handshake issues with the 391, but they seem worse with the 1312, and seem to be getting progressively worse. Quite often I have to turn everything off and on, but i'm noticing lately that I get sound dropping out when connected to the PS3. No video issues, though. All connected with latest HDMI cables.

Went to Best Buy and asked them about this, and they recommended adding a Monster Power Surge thingy that supposedly eliminates power fluctuations... any sense to that?

Do any of the higher-end models resolve any of the handshake issues, or does the blame still goes to the Cablebox / PS3?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 09:46 AM 11-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus11 View Post

Quote:

Thanks, it was a settings Issue. The Audysseyy setup had set the front speakers as Large during auto config and thus, it turned off the sub. I manually set the speakers to small and was able to get the sub working.

this may seem like semantics, but it's not...

a) "audyssey" doesn't set speaker sizes/xovers, the avr does...

b) setting your speakers to large doesn't "turn off" the sub... it simply does not engage bass management... different, although the results are the same...
bradymartin's Avatar bradymartin 07:01 PM 11-09-2012
im getting my second f12 tomorrow so ill be setting up dual subs with a denon 1712. i got the splitter cable plus two cables one for each sub.

im not exactly sure how to do this regarding audyssey.

since my receiver cant do two subs. this is my thinking on how to do this.

i connect one sub to the avr. i then run the first step in audyssey and get the sub to +/-3, then disconnect it.

then i connect the second sub, run audyssey again getting it to +/-3. do both subs have to get audyssey to determine the same decible? for example, if the first sub was set by audyssey at say +2. I need to get the second sub set by audyssey to +2?

after i get the subs dialed in i connect both subs with the splitter and run all audyssey positions?
Tags: Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
First ... 533  534  535 536  537  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop