The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 538 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow, lots of good info here! Just picked up a 2112CI and I am loving the sound improvement over my Onkyo 706. Just picked up mine as a floor model and I assumed that I wouldn't haven any mfr warranty but after reading here, it sounds like I may have one (as long as my retailer is an auth Denon resailer?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a Denon 2112 and I'm wondering what the best way is to reduce bass for late night viewing? I tried the midnight dyn vol and it is still shaking the bedroom upstairs lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM

^ if im not mistaken i believe they recommend using the offset option. set it to 10 or 15 that will reduce the sub bass, left and right and surrounds.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

Wow, lots of good info here! Just picked up a 2112CI and I am loving the sound improvement over my Onkyo 706. Just picked up mine as a floor model and I assumed that I wouldn't haven any mfr warranty but after reading here, it sounds like I may have one (as long as my retailer is an auth Denon resailer?).

Correct. Floor model gets the same 3 year warranty as would a new model. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightracerLS View Post

Got a Denon 2112 and I'm wondering what the best way is to reduce bass for late night viewing? I tried the midnight dyn vol and it is still shaking the bedroom upstairs lol.

Have you run Audyssey? After running it, what volume level was the sub set to and did you raise that to a higher level? When you set Dyn Vol, did you set it while at the master volume you use at night? What type content are you listening to at night? If TV, then changing the Audyssey Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db will reduce the bass boost although not likely to have as profound an effect on movies. Another solution is to select the "CH LVL" button on the remote and lower the sub a few db.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 AM

Good to know. The store offered me an extended 3 year warranty for $60 and I was considering going back to pick it up but sounds like its not necessary biggrin.gif. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

Also check with your credit card provider as they may add an additional 4th year as well (Amex will for sure).

Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Good point. I charged mine using the particular stores credit account so I don't think it applies but thanks anyways.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Before I bought this receiver, I questioned whether getting a different mid-level receiver could/would make a big difference in sound quality but I am really surprised just how better my setup sounds now (especially for music).

My last few receivers were Onkyo's (the last being the 706 model) and I am now sold on Denon's biggrin.gif
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you run Audyssey? After running it, what volume level was the sub set to and did you raise that to a higher level? When you set Dyn Vol, did you set it while at the master volume you use at night? What type content are you listening to at night? If TV, then changing the Audyssey Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db will reduce the bass boost although not likely to have as profound an effect on movies. Another solution is to select the "CH LVL" button on the remote and lower the sub a few db.
I did run Audyssey and got a -2db level for sub (it was as close to 0 I could get after about 12 tries) once it was all configured I did raise the sub volume some on the sub itself. All I did for the Dyn Vol was say yes after the Audyssey was done. It was Avengers that I was listening too ( I know not a good low bass movie) but my wife is going to want to be able to watch what ever she likes at night so it wont matter. I will try the CH LVL button and see what happens.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I did run Audyssey and got a -2db level for sub (it was as close to 0 I could get after about 12 tries) once it was all configured I did raise the sub volume some on the sub itself. All I did for the Dyn Vol was say yes after the Audyssey was done. It was Avengers that I was listening too ( I know not a good low bass movie) but my wife is going to want to be able to watch what ever she likes at night so it wont matter. I will try the CH LVL button and see what happens.
hi can you post your after aud. speakers and sub result and tweak result.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

his "settings" would be of no use to you...

unless you meant for him to post measured frequency response graphs, which would show what is possible... but the actual audyssey settings would be worse than useless to others...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

The sub level doesn't have to be exactly 0db, rather as long as you're within -3db to +3db, you're fine. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig where you'll learn not to adjust the volume on the sub itself, but rather on the AVR. Also note that most folks are used to boomy bass from older model AVRs so it's best if you don't adjust the sub level for at least a few weeks so you can better appreciate the level the mixer intended you to listen at. If after a few weeks you still want to raise the sub level, go ahead and bump it up a few db using the "CH LVL" button on the remote, not on the sub itself.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

hi can you post your after aud. speakers and sub result and tweak result.

Chris is correct. Reviewing someone else's Audyssey settings serves no real purpose (other than to help them troubleshoot any issue they might be having) and is far different from someone's HDTV plasma settings as your speakers are likely different and your room dynamics are most certainly different. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig and all of your Audyssey related questions will likely be answered as well as explaining how you can get the best results using all the mic positions and using a camera tripod or mic boom stand.
caloyzki likes this.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM

I have just finished setting up my 2112 and I am pumped.

Question: My Blu Ray player has its own audio settings,and I was looking for guidance on how I should set them:

Dynamic Range Control - Off?
Digital Output: PCM, Bitstream (Reencode) or Bittstream (Audiophile)?
DTS Neo:6: Off/On?

Lastly it asks me for my speaker settings. It lists each of me L, R, C and Surround. I assume these should all be set to small? Does it even matter if I am running it through the Denon?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 515
If you use HDMI to connect the player to the receiver, there's no need to set the player's audio settings. They're for its multichannel analog outputs. If you use HDMI, the receiver can apply its various digital processing functions to the audio, including bass management and Audyssey room correction. That can't be done if you use the multichannel audio connections. Audyssey can make a substantial improvement to the sounds you hear.

p.s. to be more specific:

You should let the receiver do any Neo6 and bass management.

When you bitstream the audio, the receiver has to decode it from Dolby or DTS into LPCM so it can process the audio signals.

When you select PCM output, the player decodes the audio to LPCM and can mix in a disc's menu sounds and secondary audio tracks.

Bitstream (reencode) is normally used when the player decodes the disc's audio so it can mix in the menu sounsd and secondary audio tracks, and then reencodes it so you'll get multichannel audio over the S/PDIF connections.

When using HDMI, you should use Bitstream (Audiophile) if you don't care about secondary audio and want to see the audio decoding lights on the receiver itself, Otherwise use PCM output. There is no quality difference between the Bitstreamed and PCM audio in modern players.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM

Thanks Selden.

Another question: I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get my Zone 2 speakers to play.

I have them plugged into Surround Back.
I am then (according to the manual), pressing Zone 2, Power On and Source button (in this case just using my Cable Box as the source).
On the receiver there is a little Z2 light that is coming on.

But I am not hearing anything out of these Zone 2 speakers.

Please help me figure out what I am missing?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Sorry but one more...

I ran Audyssey and everyone seemed to go fine.

I am now watching Glee with my wife and, when the songs come on, the subwoofer starts making what is a disturbing almost buzzy (as opposed to bass-ey) sound. ALmost like its trying to play some bass but its staticy instead. Its not clean sounding and its distracting rather than subtle.

The setup shows it at -4.5dB...

ANy ideas why this might be happening or how can I test if theres a subwoofer problem??
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
585-645-1006

Zone 2 only passes analog connected external sources, not HDMI or optical. Regarding the sub, try another source as it could just be a broadcast issue.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Zone 2 only passes analog connected external sources, not HDMI or optical. Regarding the sub, try another source as it could just be a broadcast issue.

So if I want to play a CD out of my blu ray player in zone 2, I can leave my blu ray plugged in to HDMI but then I also need to hook it up using another set of cables? Weird, not even optical? My old Pioneer would play it using optical...this seems like a real setback, no?

Regarding the subwoofer...strange. Not sure what I did in the menus but now Im not hearing anything at all coming from it...watching MTV hip hop which definitely has a lot of bass so should be kicking in I think...
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
585-645-1006

Correct, you must connect analog as well. Only the 3312CI can do PCM 2.0 over optical/digital coax to Zone 2.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Now the sub is back. Maybe its just because its too music (I havent watched to a movie yet) but the sound is so not subtle that its almost giving me a headache...which it shouldnt right? I cant figure out if something is wrong in the setup or if I just dont enjoy the subwoofer sound? A friend who is over said it sounds like the subwoofer is kicking in roughly only at certain spots, when it should be playing in a more consistent way...not sure what might cause that.

So for analog hookup, what do I use? Not those old Red/White jacks is it? I cant use a higher quality connection than that???
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 AM
585-645-1006

Yup .... red/white cables for Zone 2 source will work just fine. Regarding sub issue, either try swapping in another sub just to test with or give the mfr of the sub a call and let them troubleshoot whether it's defective or not.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Regarding the subwoofer: I messed around with it some more last night and will again today. It almost sounds like its coming on intermittently, only at the deepest bass spots, and as a result is goes from silent to boomy rumble and back to silent so suddenly that is disrupting and doesnt sound good at all.

Does this sound like it good be a settings issue or is it probably a subwoofer problem? I checked the cable connection and it seems fine and secure on either end, although its running under my carpet so I cant be sure all along the way.

Is there some kind of test tones disc I can use to evaluate?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 11
I must be hard headed or blind but where do I go to see what Audysee has set the setting too? I'd like to see what my sun and speakers are set at. First time it set speakers as large and sun -12. I turned the sub up and ran it again but can't figure out where to look. First time it just popped up after it ran.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 515
llrong,

While -4.5 isn't an unreasonable setting for the subwoofer channel, it does mean that the receiver is attenuating the subwoofer output signal. It could be that the signal now is just too low for your subwoofer to detect reliably. If you were to turn down the volume control knob further on the subwoofer itself and then rerun Audyssey, it should result in Audyssey choosing a higher signal level (in the low positive values) which the subwoofer should be able to detect more reliably.

As a test before rerunning the calibration, you could turn up the level of the subwoofer channel in the receiver. It will make the subwoofer louder, but also should make it come on more often.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Hey everyone. Thanks to avs forum I'm now the proud owner of a avr-1712 hooked up to a set of Energy CB-20's. Next up is a sub to really bring out the sound. So far I'm extremely pleased.

Questions:

1. Ipad - What's the best way to direct connect my IPad 3? Do I just need to buy the 30-pin to HDMI adapter or is there a better way other than AppleTV or PS3, etc?
2. Setup - In terms of setup configuration, for 2.0, what are major settings I need to make sure I have right? There are so many.
3. HDTV - I'm hooked up to a new Panasonic 50 1080p plasma. I'm running my directv hd box to the avr hdmi in. Then, avr hdmi arc out to the tv's hdmi arc in. Some images, like graphics and animation look great but watching sports, It looks like the white colors are pixelated and have weird texture. I don't get this when I connect the tv box direct to the tv. Do I have an issue with my avr video processing?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks much.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

llrong,
While -4.5 isn't an unreasonable setting for the subwoofer channel, it does mean that the receiver is attenuating the subwoofer output signal. It could be that the signal now is just too low for your subwoofer to detect reliably. If you were to turn down the volume control knob further on the subwoofer itself and then rerun Audyssey, it should result in Audyssey choosing a higher signal level (in the low positive values) which the subwoofer should be able to detect more reliably.
As a test before rerunning the calibration, you could turn up the level of the subwoofer channel in the receiver. It will make the subwoofer louder, but also should make it come on more often.

Thanks you. I am trying to trouble shoot some other things and just found something:
- When I go into Speaker Setup, I choose small for Front. And when I go into the Crossover menu item I choose 80.

But when I go into the Parameters submenu for the Audyssey, everything looks totally different. Its showing Speakers as Large and all different crossovers. The settings dont match what I have input manually in the other submenus.

How do I get them to be consistent? Could this possibly be the problem?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM
585-645-1006

You cannot edit the Parameter settings as those are the settings made when Audyssey is run, rather you can only change the Manual Setup settings which are the "active" settings.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks for all the great info on this thread.

I picked up my first Denon AVR this week, an open box 1712.

Sounds like Denon's warranty is pretty good. Based on your experiences should I need to buy the Best Buy 4 year warranty? I paid $199.99 for the avr-1712 and the warranty is $35.

The factory warranty is two years and my credit card adds a free extended warranty to make it three years. I have never made a claim with the credit card warranty, so I do not know how well it works.

I also saw a avr-2112 cI for $380. I think controlling the receiver via app would be awesome, but I'm not sure if it's $180 awesome. I have a HTPC so the network features are nice but I already have access to my music and online radio. What are your thoughts on the 1712 vs 2112.

Thanks in advance.

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver