Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

too bad we can't get that stickied on this thread...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
^^
Yeh .. I already asked a mod and he said it couldn't be done.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1593 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
But you could put it at the top of the very first post, where those new to the thread would read it. That's what they did on the DTVPal DVR thread, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071
post #1594 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
Is it possible that AVR defaults to TV even in standby mode?

This is what I discovered. Since I had problem with my cable DVR pass through signal while AVR is in Stand by and I attributed this to handshake issues, I switched to PS3 since PS3 shouldn't have handshake issues.
PS3 was on, AVR was set to HDMI port that PS3 is connected to. I turn on PND8000. PS3 appears on the display for several seconds and then goes black.

I disabled HDMI-CEC on PND8000. Now TV can display Cable while AVR in Standby signal passes through without any issues.

For some reason that experiment makes me to believe that AVR switches to TV when TV's HDMI-CEC is enabled and that's why picture briefly appears on the screen and disappears.

Any ideas?
post #1595 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Is there a way of getting a temp reading displayed on a 3312ci. I know on Onkyo's you have to hold certain buttons and it will display the temp...
post #1596 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by **OptimusPrime** View Post

Is that true?? I've asked about price matching. They used to do it, but I was recently told they can now only price match with "real" brick and mortar stores (and within a certain distance)...not online. If this can be done, I'm ready to wheel and deal.

Don't mention price match. Tell them your interested and ready to buy, can they do better. Normally they will budge. The first answer is not always best offer. Ask him/her to ask the manager. Especially on slow weekends. It's all about the dollar volume. They have specific store to store targets and in this economy they better fight for the business.

In search of video bliss...
post #1597 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Now since HDMI-CEC is disabled on TV, I realized that ARC is disabled as well, which means I cannot stream audio to the AVR when using SmartTV.

Connected cable directly to the TV via HDMI. Now I lost DD over ARC and overlay or access to AVR's Menu while watching cable. Alright, I can use optical directly from the box, but this still doesn't resolve the issue with access to the Menu. Yes, I don't need to use menu every 5 minute while watching cable. But that's not the point. It's supposed to be one connection to the TV and AVR must work as an HDMI switcher, on top of having great audio.

It's already annoying that it takes like several minutes for all HDMI components shake their hands before they all agree that I am allowed to watch this picture. But then AVR switches to TV by default on start up, and the shaking hands process begins from the beginning since you have to switch to the cable now.

I still don't understand why Denon decided to default to TV when AVR starts up. Why there is no option to select what source the device defaults to at the start up.

This is not how I imagined this set up will work.
post #1598 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post

Is there a way of getting a temp reading displayed on a 3312ci. I know on Onkyo's you have to hold certain buttons and it will display the temp...

Why would you need to? My 2112 and 3312 barely seem warm after watching back to back movies at fairly decent volumes. (not ref level but hardly soft)
post #1599 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

So i went out and bought a wireless gaming adapter for my 2112ci, and i can't seem to get a proper connection with it. I tried using a 2nd router as an access point and its giving me the same problems. With DHCP on, it gives me an ip address that isnt part of my dhcp pool and gives me a wrong subnet mask (255.255.000.000). I just can't seem to figure it out. The gaming adapter works fine with my 360 and PS3. (its a trendnet TEW-647GA)

[Edit]-I also tried setting a static ip and resetting the processor, with no luck. Some more info if its helpful: Im using a linksys e1200 router, with comcast internet. With the trendnet 647ga connected wirelessly to the linksys and working properly with all my other devices except the denon

update to my previous post, ive copied the settings my gaming adapter was giving my 360, and used them on the 2112ic, and it still won't work. Have power cycled all my equipment multiple times. I tried to do a Network Reset, as per the first page of this thread, and couldn't get that to work either, though I'm able to do a microprocessor reset. this is such a headache, i absolutely hate network issues and wish I was having as good of luck with it as most of the rest of you.
post #1600 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootch4183 View Post

update to my previous post, ive copied the settings my gaming adapter was giving my 360, and used them on the 2112ic, and it still won't work. Have power cycled all my equipment multiple times. I tried to do a Network Reset, as per the first page of this thread, and couldn't get that to work either, though I'm able to do a microprocessor reset. this is such a headache, i absolutely hate network issues and wish I was having as good of luck with it as most of the rest of you.

I haven't used a gaming adapter in years but if I recall you need to first setup the wireless adaptor with a static ip address using a computer. You would then copy the details (ip address) of the adaptor into the AVR and turn dhcp off in the AVR. So basically the adaptor would be used in bridge mode.

post #1601 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 AM

I just received an AVS-2112 from ABT but have not taken it out of the box. Just before it arrived, I went to a BB Magnolia and listened to classical music on the the AVS-2312 versus the Yamaha RX-A800. I listened on B+W 685 speakers and found that I liked the Yamaha sound better. Without getting too subjective, there appeared to be more concert-hall ambience; the Yamaha sounded more realistic. The salespersons confirmed that the sound was "out of the box" - there had been no attempt to do any equalization. I don't even know what the Listening Mode was.

My question is, was this test of any value? Can you really compare music in the showroom on receivers if nothing has been done (Audyssey/YPAO) to optimize the sound for either receiver? Is there a better way to compare the receivers in the showroom or do you really need to test at home? (I haven't decided on speakers to buy yet.) Would setting the 2312 Listening mode to "Music" help much? Any other suggestions?

I am seriously considering the Yamaha RX-V671 as an alternative and have owned Yamaha's in the past but there are still no reviews yet. My only experience with Denon was a CD player that never worked great. But the AVR-2112 appeared to be a good mix of features and sound quality, or so I thought. (Why did they drop the HD Radio at this level?)

Thanks for your help.
post #1602 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
3312CI Network issues and trying to set the MAC address in the 3312. Any ideas? I have scoured the manual. HELP!!
post #1603 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I haven't used a gaming adapter in years but if I recall you need to first setup the wireless adaptor with a static ip address using a computer. You would then copy the details (ip address) of the adaptor into the AVR and turn dhcp off in the AVR. So basically the adaptor would be used in bridge mode.

I tried that as well, I set a static ip address on the wireless adapter and then used those same settings on the denon and that didn't work either.
post #1604 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post

3312CI Network issues and trying to set the MAC address in the 3312. Any ideas? I have scoured the manual. HELP!!

You can't set the MAC address. It's hard-coded to the network chipset. You can see the MAC on a sticker on the back.

What you can set in a Denon AVRs network is:

DHCP on/off
IP Address
Subnet mask
Default Gateway
DNS 1 and 2
Proxy server if you're using one.

What are your network issues?
post #1605 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootch4183 View Post

I'm getting dropouts with my wireless gaming adapter, when listening to Pandora, but it's hard to tell if its the adapter or the Denon. It doesn't help that I really don't use the internet connection... it's mostly there in case I ever want to use it. I use my AppleTV for most things I would need networking for (and there haven't been any updates for the 2112 yet). This was a test out of idle curiosity, a test which it apparently failed.

I'm going to run a temporary hardline and see if it makes a difference... I recommend you do the same. Just pick up a really long network cable and run the hardline across the house (or whatever) right to the router... if that works perfectly, then you know for certain that any issue is with the wireless (be it wireless in general or the gaming adapter in particular, could be a problematic adapter in general OR if could just be some funky incompatibility with the Denon and that particular adapter). Regardless, establishing a performance baseline by using a hardline is the first step in diagnosing the problem. If you have trouble with a hardline, then nothing else matters... the problem is in the Denon. If the hardline works great, then most likely the Denon is just fine and it's merely a matter of finding the right wireless adapter to work with it in your situation.
post #1606 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedolap View Post

I just received an AVS-2112 from ABT but have not taken it out of the box. Just before it arrived, I went to a BB Magnolia and listened to classical music on the the AVS-2312 versus the Yamaha RX-A800. I listened on B+W 685 speakers and found that I liked the Yamaha sound better. Without getting too subjective, there appeared to be more concert-hall ambience; the Yamaha sounded more realistic. The salespersons confirmed that the sound was "out of the box" - there had been no attempt to do any equalization. I don't even know what the Listening Mode was.

My question is, was this test of any value? Can you really compare music in the showroom on receivers if nothing has been done (Audyssey/YPAO) to optimize the sound for either receiver? Is there a better way to compare the receivers in the showroom or do you really need to test at home? (I haven't decided on speakers to buy yet.) Would setting the 2312 Listening mode to "Music" help much? Any other suggestions?

I am seriously considering the Yamaha RX-V671 as an alternative and have owned Yamaha's in the past but there are still no reviews yet. My only experience with Denon was a CD player that never worked great. But the AVR-2112 appeared to be a good mix of features and sound quality, or so I thought. (Why did they drop the HD Radio at this level?)

Thanks for your help.

Doesn't sound like a valid test to me... you REALLY need to hear the systems set up they way they were meant to, meaning Audyssey and YPAO, ideally on your speakers in your home, but alternatively on similar speakers in a reasonable listening room). Will ABT let you return the Denon? If so, pick up the Yamaha from BB and do a side-by-side test in your own living room, and just return the one you like less.
post #1607 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 PM

SACD Question...

Will the Denon (3312) receive SACD signal over an HDMI cable?

I have several SACDs and DVD-As that I enjoy listening to... using an Oppo player.

Thanks for responding to a niche subject.

yyyiiikes

Sometimes it is better to travel than to arrive.
post #1608 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Liked: 22
I just ran Audessey on my brand new 3312. I have two subs connected. They are not playing loud enough, it is like the volume on the subs is set to 10 or 15% (even though they are both set to 50%). Before running Audessey they were awesome.

What can I do in the receiver settings to pump up the volume on my subs?

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #1609 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 PM

I've tried to do a network reset to resolve my networking problems on my 2112ic but just cant seem to get it to reset. I'm able to do a microprocessor reset by holding inputs 2+3 when i power on, but holding inputs 1+3 while powering on isn't doing anything. Has anyone else attempted a network reset on their XX12 models successfully?
post #1610 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyiiikes View Post

SACD Question...

Will the Denon (3312) receive SACD signal over an HDMI cable?

I have several SACDs and DVD-As that I enjoy listening to... using an Oppo player.

The AVR is rarely the problem. Any AVR that supports HDMI audio (in contrast to a few low end AVRs that support only HDMI video switching) will accept high resolution LPCM via HDMI from an SACD player. The player, however, can be the problem, as some SACD players will not output any SACD audio via HDMI. But if you have an Oppo, then you are likely golden. Which Oppo are you using?

AJ
post #1611 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Liked: 11
3312CI: the firmware update solved all of my networking issues. Took 30 minutes. I was having to reset my modem/router to access Airplay and Internet. Now, I'm good.
post #1612 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Liked: 22
Okay, had to change the channel level on the subs. Man, Audessey set them so low I could hardly hear them.

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #1613 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post

Okay, had to change the channel level on the subs. Man, Audessey set them so low I could hardly hear them.

It's ok to bump em up but audyssey does a pretty reasonable job at setting subwoofer levels IMHO.

post #1614 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedolap View Post

Thanks for your help.

To do a good test you need to put both receivers in pure direct mode so there is no processing. Then you need to get an spl meter and make sure they are both the same volume. I used some pink noise to make sure they were the same. -20 on one receiver may not be the same as -20 on another. After that you need to have some else switch receivers and not tell you which one is playing. If you can pick a favorite every time and it's the same receiver get that one. I tried with Denon Yamaha and Onkyo but I picked a different one almost every time.

Of course things change when you add in room correction but there is really no way to compare them unless you buy it and bring it home.
post #1615 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I had the same thing happen. Audyssey does a good job with one subwoofer but when I got 2 it set them really low. That's one of the reasons I want XT32.
post #1616 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM
jrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

It just happened again, I was using Airplay from my desktop iTunes and streaming to NET/USB and then it just up and changed to the DOCK source (btw, nothing plugged into the Dock input). Took me a couple clicks to get the NET/USB back to streaming from iTunes.

I had something similar happen to me: I was listening to a podcast via the AVR's MediaServer and the screen went all gray. Took me a lot more than a couple of clicks to find that its source somehow changed mid-listening to BD (my PS3 was turned off, hence no video output). I didn't change the source, it got changed on its own.

BTW, in the listening selection menus, I wish we could use Chan+/- buttons to page through the listings instead of < and >; it's a pain to have to press the Search button to activate the < and > for page browsing.
post #1617 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 08:06 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post

AFAIK, no, but as noted, with proper ventilation there shouldn't be any heat issues.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #1618 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyxapka View Post

Is it possible that AVR defaults to TV even in standby mode?

This is what I discovered. Since I had problem with my cable DVR pass through signal while AVR is in Stand by and I attributed this to handshake issues, I switched to PS3 since PS3 shouldn’t have handshake issues.
PS3 was on, AVR was set to HDMI port that PS3 is connected to. I turn on PND8000. PS3 appears on the display for several seconds and then goes black.

I disabled HDMI-CEC on PND8000. Now TV can display Cable while AVR in Standby signal passes through without any issues.

For some reason that experiment makes me to believe that AVR switches to TV when TV’s HDMI-CEC is enabled and that’s why picture briefly appears on the screen and disappears.

Any ideas?

The AVR will definitely default to TV when the TV's HDMI-CEC setting is set to ON and the AVR is first turned on. Can anyone else confirm this is the case in Standby mode as well?

post #1619 of 19112 Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I just ran Audessey on my brand new 3312. I have two subs connected. They are not playing loud enough, it is like the volume on the subs is set to 10 or 15% (even though they are both set to 50%). Before running Audessey they were awesome.

What can I do in the receiver settings to pump up the volume on my subs?

What does the Denon set them to? Do you have them in the corner or near a wall in which case the Denon will lower the signal? You may simply prefer more bass then what the mixer intended in which case you're free to raise the sub channel volume a few db to suit your preference using the CH Level button on your remote.

post #1620 of 19112 Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

It's ok to bump em up but audyssey does a pretty reasonable job at setting subwoofer levels IMHO.

Quote:

It's funny because audyssey set my subs too loud, the manual states to set each sub at 71db which will result in a 75db reading on a meter, before running audyssey.

The Denon I had before this one would set my subs too low...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page