post #17731 of 19158 Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitRidge View Post

2313CI MAC address gone resulting in no network features

I recently purchased a new Denon 2313CI AVR and installed it without problems thanks to this forum. On initially powering up, the receiver downloaded a firmware update via a wired network connection and everything worked as expected. After using it for two weeks, including network features, I decided to switch from surround back speakers to front high speakers.

I unplugged the power cord to make sure that I didn't cause any problems during installation of the speakers. On powering up and and after setup, everything appeared to work except for network access.

Troubleshooting, when the menu item NETWORK was accessed, the NFORMATION screen had all items grayed out and inaccessible. The NETWORK/INFORMATION screen shows only FRIENDLY NAME and DHCP is ON. The IP ADDRESS and MAC ADDRESS are blank, not grayed out - nothing is there. In addition, the GENERAL/FIRMWARE screen is also blank. I have performed several (5+ ??) microprocessor resets as well as microprocessor with network card resets without success. Does the lack of a MAC address indicate a hardware failure? Any ideas what I can do to re-establish network functions?

You also may have some kind of failure with the router that is your DHCP server. I would hook up a laptop to the network cable that you attach to the 2313ci. Make sure it is set to use DHCP and see if it successfully gets an address. However the fact that you don't get a MAC address probably indicates a failure of the NIC interface, since MAC address is totally independent of DHCP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17732 of 19158 Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Did you remember to switch AMP ASSIGN to the correct setting for 7.1 playback?

Thank you for your response. I will check that when I get home tonight.

Mike
post #17733 of 19158 Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Hey guys. Can anybody recommend an IR extender for my 2112ci? I will be putting the receiver in a cabinet. I need an extender for the receiver only. I saw this on monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=8060&seq=1&format=2

Will this work for what I need? The rep at mono price said that it would if my receiver works on single band IR. I'm not sure if the 2112 is single or dual band.
post #17734 of 19158 Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 968
It may or may not work. Often an IR extender system will require an ACTIVE component (e.g. a powered IR repeater) to work with most AV devices. You could give it a shot. If it works (or not) please report back.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #17735 of 19158 Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Did you follow the tips in that post you qouted? Did you check to make sure the file wasn't all zero's?

You can restore original Audyssey settings by using the RESTORE feature (p. 30 OM).

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Marantz 1603 Owners ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/0_100

Yes I did, its not only zeros. The only thing I didnt't do was resetting the microprocessor settings... I wanted to restore because Ithought it also includes audyssey correction from the setup. And I had a set up that sounded better than the second one I did, but I can't remember what I did differently placing the mic the first time.
post #17736 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Dru the Fu - Thanks for your response. I would save the configuration if I could. Is there a way to do this without network access? I have reset both the network card and microprocessor at least five times without success.
post #17737 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoisewords View Post

You also may have some kind of failure with the router that is your DHCP server. I would hook up a laptop to the network cable that you attach to the 2313ci. Make sure it is set to use DHCP and see if it successfully gets an address. However the fact that you don't get a MAC address probably indicates a failure of the NIC interface, since MAC address is totally independent of DHCP.

Thanks for your response. I tried this with a laptop at the AVR end. The laptop had no problem obtaining an IP address as suspected. I am concerned that the AVR NIC hardware needs to be replaced or reflashed. Do you have any other suggestions?
post #17738 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That nic is on the hdmi board. Seems as if they are always backorderd when people take their avr to a Denon authorized shop.
I'd recommend sending the unit to Denon's OEM shop Panurgy in NJ. I got mine back in a week, Cost $30 for me to ship a 3312. A local shop told me that it would be 10-14 days before the could even look at it.
http://www.panurgyoem.com/denon/denonrepair.html

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #17739 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Dru the Fu - Thanks for your response. I would save the configuration if I could. Is there a way to do this without network access? I have reset both the network card and microprocessor at least five times without success.

Hopefully you're not up the same creek as me. After not being able to ever update the firmware successfully, I finally decided to send my 3312 into a repair center in North Hollywood, CA. Turns out after their troubleshooting, that my unit had a bad NIC, and since it's integrated into the HDMI/Motherboard, I need a new board. Glad that I did this while still under warranty, because from the little research I did, a new board out of warranty costs over $500 just for the item (not including labor). I'm still awaiting it to be repaired and delivered, as I was told they were out of stock and had to wait on the shipment from Japan.

If you've already tried your resets, it may be advantageous to move your unit next to your router/modem and connect a different Ethernet cable to see if it resolves. If not, I'd then try the same at a friend or family's house (sounds silly, but I also did thias too after reading through this entire thread researching my firmware issue) using their router/modem to see if there is an issue with your network equipment. If both those fail, then you will most likely end up sending your unit in for repair.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I know I wasn't happy, and still awaiting my unit after being without my little baby for 3 weeks frown.gif

***Listing my HT gear in my signature on this board will make me feel like a puny, girlie man. Listen to me now but hear me later***
post #17740 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:

I wasn't talking about the volume (gain) knob. I was talking about the crossover / LPF knob. Most subs will have at minimum a volume/gain knob and a crossover/LPF knob.

I don't know what the back of your sub looks like. I was responding to this question: "If I'm not mistaken, the BA manual says to set the sub at a 150mhz crossover (will check manual when I get home), so what would that require me to set the other speakers to individually?" I assumed you were referring to the crossover knob on the subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post

Hey batpig, I snapped a pic of the MCS 160 manual page from the 1312ba. There's no crossover knob, just volume and a polarity switch.

The two manuals seem to contradict each other. What would you recommend? I have an SPL meter, and I have the DVE disc if I need frequency sweeps or test tones.

Hi batpig!

I wasn't sure if you missed my post. Should I try setting my crossover for all 5 speakers to 150hz as the Boston Acoustics manual seems to suggest, or should I leave them all on 80hz, as the Denon manual suggests (IIRC)?

If I do change my crossover, I shouldn't need to recalibrate channel levels w. spl meter, right?

Edit: here's a link to the whole manual if anyone needs or finds it useful:

http://ca.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/DHT1312BA_MCS160_Owners_Manual.pdf
post #17741 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your response. I tried this with a laptop at the AVR end. The laptop had no problem obtaining an IP address as suspected. I am concerned that the AVR NIC hardware needs to be replaced or reflashed. Do you have any other suggestions?

Based on that it certainly sounds like the NIC component on the HDMI board. Nothing left to try other than sending back for repair.
post #17742 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post

I wasn't sure if you missed my post. Should I try setting my crossover for all 5 speakers to 150hz as the Boston Acoustics manual seems to suggest, or should I leave them all on 80hz, as the Denon manual suggests (IIRC)?

If I do change my crossover, I shouldn't need to recalibrate channel levels w. spl meter, right?

The Denon manual does NOT suggest an 80Hz crossover. You may have read that as a general recommendation but it doesn't apply to all sitautions. Those speakers are tiny. Use 150Hz as the manual for the speakers recommends.

Crossovers should affect levels, no need to recalibrate SPL.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #17743 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 441
80 or Higher, if Audyssey sets it that way; I have a pair it sets to 150

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #17744 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You're missing the original context. The OP purchased the 1312BA system which uses an AVR-1312 (which does NOT have Audyssey) paired with a Boston Acoustics sub/sat speaker setup.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #17745 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Right you are

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #17746 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:

The Denon manual does NOT suggest an 80Hz crossover. You may have read that as a general recommendation but it doesn't apply to all sitautions. Those speakers are tiny. Use 150Hz as the manual for the speakers recommends.

Crossovers should affect levels, no need to recalibrate SPL.

Thanks a bunch!! smile.gif

I see now that, aside from reading it everywhere else, the Denon manual just states that 80hz is the default setting for crossover, rather than being recommended necessarily. Let's hope the sub won't be too directional/locate-able. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

80 or Higher, if Audyssey sets it that way; I have a pair it sets to 150

Alas, having a cheap 1312, I haz no Audyssey, which is why I'm doing SPL meters and jumping through fiery hoops. wink.gif

Unfortunately that gets me nowhere EQ-wise (if this thing even has EQ....I just discovered the full manual).

I've noticed that with dialog, when I have it at the perfect (but loudish, admittedly) volume to hear quiet speaking parts, when loud parts come in (like Serenity entering the atmosphere at the beginning of "Serenity") the sound gets really harsh from the fronts (as I perceive it). I only have them maybe 2 inches from the wall (which I'm looking into changing or sticking some acoustic insulation behind them), but wouldn't the wall cause them to be more bassy (they appear to be rear-ported) rather than ear splitty? I think I had the volume around 70-75 (relative).

I'm not sure what I can do to fix it (yes, short of buying better speakers), but I've considered turning up the center channel speaker or using compression/night mode. The speakers are 9 or 10 feet from my ears, and the listening area is a small room. I'm hoping using the recommended crossover will be the magical fix, cos it sounds great until it gets ridiculously loud.

Thoughts?
post #17747 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru the Fu View Post

Hopefully you're not up the same creek as me. After not being able to ever update the firmware successfully, I finally decided to send my 3312 into a repair center in North Hollywood, CA. Turns out after their troubleshooting, that my unit had a bad NIC, and since it's integrated into the HDMI/Motherboard, I need a new board. Glad that I did this while still under warranty, because from the little research I did, a new board out of warranty costs over $500 just for the item (not including labor). I'm still awaiting it to be repaired and delivered, as I was told they were out of stock and had to wait on the shipment from Japan.

If you've already tried your resets, it may be advantageous to move your unit next to your router/modem and connect a different Ethernet cable to see if it resolves. If not, I'd then try the same at a friend or family's house (sounds silly, but I also did thias too after reading through this entire thread researching my firmware issue) using their router/modem to see if there is an issue with your network equipment. If both those fail, then you will most likely end up sending your unit in for repair.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I know I wasn't happy, and still awaiting my unit after being without my little baby for 3 weeks frown.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. I plugged in a laptop at the AVR's cable end to verify router and cable functionality. The laptop worked fine when the router assigned the IP address as expected. Since the AVR has no MAC address the network does not recognize its existence and I cannot connect.

I have to face reality and figure out a way to get this repaired at a reasonable cost. I purchased the unit online in February and discovered that the dealer was not an "authorized Denon dealer" and that the factory warranty does not apply. I contacted the seller and was told to ship it to them for repair. I did this and after several weeks I received it back but it was NOT repaired. It appears to me that the AVR had not even been touched, although I hope that I am wrong. There was no paperwork or any indication of work being done. I am very reluctant to send it back to this seller even if they again, agree to get it repaired since I don't want a repeat. I am starting to look into other options.
post #17748 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I would contact them and see if they will swap it out. If they have any business ethics they will do something for you. If not I would post the online reseller with their horrible customer and business dealings.

If need be you can run an apple tv for Airplay and use something like a Blu Ray Player for networking.

Good Luck
post #17749 of 19158 Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I plugged in a laptop at the AVR's cable end to verify router and cable functionality. The laptop worked fine when the router assigned the IP address as expected. Since the AVR has no MAC address the network does not recognize its existence and I cannot connect.

I have to face reality and figure out a way to get this repaired at a reasonable cost. I purchased the unit online in February and discovered that the dealer was not an "authorized Denon dealer" and that the factory warranty does not apply. I contacted the seller and was told to ship it to them for repair. I did this and after several weeks I received it back but it was NOT repaired. It appears to me that the AVR had not even been touched, although I hope that I am wrong. There was no paperwork or any indication of work being done. I am very reluctant to send it back to this seller even if they again, agree to get it repaired since I don't want a repeat. I am starting to look into other options.

To replace the HDMI/network board is likely to cost upwards of $400+ which is why the seller is going to be reluctant to repair it. If purchased with a credit card, I would also contact the card issuer to see if they can do anything about it.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #17750 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM

I have a Tivo HD connected to my AVR-1712 via HDMI. I'm not sure that my audio is setup properly. I have a 5.1 speaker setup.

If I put on Game of Thones on the HBO HD channel (I assume this is 5.1 content), I can choose between these Movie surround modes:

Virtual
Stereo
PLII Cinema
Pro Logic
Neo 6 Cinema
Multi Channel Stereo
Mono Movie

Which one of these sound modes is best? I assume I can rule out Virtual, Stereo, Pro Logic, and Mono Movie...so should I be choosing PLII Cinema, Neo 6 Cinema, or Multi Channel Stereo?

Also, is there a way to check to make sure that the AVR is receiving a 5.1 signal as opposed to a 2 channel signal? (I assume this changes based on the content)
post #17751 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Those choices mean that you are getting a 2ch stereo input, not a 5.1 input. You probably need to change the settings on your Tivo box to allow 5.1 output. If it gets a 5.1 signal, it will "lock on" to Dolby Digital as the surround mode.

In the meantime, you should use PLII Cinema to upmix the stereo signal to 5.1 surround.

You can always check the input signal in the INFORMATION sub menu, found either in the GUI or using a web browser.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #17752 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

That content is coming over as 2.0, PLII will generate extra channels, up to 5.1, PL stands for Pro Logic

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #17753 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Those choices mean that you are getting a 2ch stereo input, not a 5.1 input. You probably need to change the settings on your Tivo box to allow 5.1 output. If it gets a 5.1 signal, it will "lock on" to Dolby Digital as the surround mode.

In the meantime, you should use PLII Cinema to upmix the stereo signal to 5.1 surround.

You can always check the input signal in the INFORMATION sub menu, found either in the GUI or using a web browser.

The Information menu says the following:

Signal: PCM
FS: 48khz
Format: 2/0/.0 (I assume that means 2 channel)

My Tivo only has 2 options in the Audio menu:
Dolby Digital
or
Dolby Digital to PCM

Both yield the Format: 2/0/.0 result

I wonder what I can do to change this.
post #17754 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
585-645-1006

If you are using the Dolby Digital setting and getting those readings, then the source material is only 2.0. Note that not all HD content is DD 5.1. Play a movie that is advertised to be DD 5.1 to confirm.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #17755 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Game of Thrones should be 5.1; any chance TiVo only recorded in 2.0?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #17756 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM

I did some more testing. Apparently my Tivo is sending 5.1 through its optical port and 2 channel through the HDMI for some reason. I have set my Tivo's input on the Denon to take the audio from the optical port. For some reason, the Denon is pulling the audio out of the HDMI instead, when both are available.

If I yank the HDMI out between the Tivo and the Denon, and leave the optical cable connected, I get proper 5.1 (and obviously, no picture).

If I put the HDMI back in, the Denon prefers the HDMI audio and it goes back to 2 channel.

Is there any way to set the Denon to prefer the optical input over the audio in the HDMI signal?
post #17757 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Yup. Assign both inputs to the same source name and then set the INPUT MODE for that source to "Digital". smile.gif

post #17758 of 19158 Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 PM

That did it. My problems are solved. Thanks guys!
post #17759 of 19158 Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 AM

I enabled ARC and now I get this "Anynet" volume control overlay on my screen whenever I change the volume. I've always had the volume control in the GUI disabled. I checked and I still do. Is there any way to get rid of this?
post #17760 of 19158 Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM
585-645-1006

Yup. Turn off Anynet+ on the TV. smile.gif Note that you can use an optical connection from the TV to the AVR for the same ARC capability.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page