Forum Jump: 

post #19141 of 19157 Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
All I know is that it has been reported to work with some issues where once did not.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19142 of 19157 Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy

Hello,

I have Denon AVR2312 CI since last 1 year. I am experiencing problems when i am in middle of the movie. The sound drops off. However this problem is resolved for short time when i plug out hdmi cable from hdmi out of AVR and plug it back in, but the problem again starts and i hear click sound before the sound goes off. I shall be grateful if anybody could help me here and suggest what the problem is. Also i would like to add here that sound completely goes off from center channel speaker and i can only hear faint sound of movie from left and right speakers.

Thanks
Gurpreet Singh

Last edited by Gurpreet Singh; 07-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.
post #19143 of 19157 Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpreet Singh View Post
Hello,

I have Denon AVR2312 CI since last 1 year. I am experiencing problems when i am in middle of the movie. The sound drops off. However this problem is resolved for short time when i plug out hdmi cable from hdmi out of AVR and plug it back in, but the problem again starts and i hear click sound before the sound goes off. I shall be grateful if anybody could help me here and suggest what the problem is. Also i would like to add here that sound completely goes off from center channel speaker and i can only hear faint sound of movie from left and right speakers.

Thanks
Gurpreet Singh
Same thing happens on my 2312ci along with a few other members here. I don't know if anyone has gotten it fixed from Denon.
post #19144 of 19157 Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Same thing happens on my 2312ci along with a few other members here. I don't know if anyone has gotten it fixed from Denon.
I'm one of those who are experiencing the problem. It happened almost every day until I reset microprocessor. Now it happens Intermittently, like once every a few days. I thought it would be hardware related but it interesting that resetting tamed it down. Not completed fixed though. I'll try to reset it a few more times when I get a chance. It might fix the problem permanently if I'm lucky. I'm reluctant to take it to service center as it's hard to duplicate the problem. I have some warranty period left so I'll see how it goes for now.

By the way, do you have any overheat problem. I'm using a fan as Denon suggested but I don't really think I should. I have 5" clearance above. I never had to use a fan with several other brand receivers.

Family rm
Panny 65PS64 Plasma, Panny BD35 Bluray, HTPC (XBMC), Karaoke, Denon AVR-3312CI
Energy RC-70, RC-LCR, RC-10 & V-mini C (front height), Outlaw LFM EX

Upstairs bonus rm
LG 42" LCD, Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Energy Micro 5.0 + Polk PSW125

Den: Onkyo TX-8255, Infinity Primus P163
post #19145 of 19157 Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Never had my receiver overheat but it did get hot. Now I use a 80mm fan blowing across the top.
post #19146 of 19157 Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9610172 View Post
By the way, do you have any overheat problem. I'm using a fan as Denon suggested but I don't really think I should. I have 5" clearance above. I never had to use a fan with several other brand receivers.
With open access to the front and back, 5" clearance above the unit should be more than sufficient without having to use a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Never had my receiver overheat but it did get hot. Now I use a 80mm fan blowing across the top.
Ideally, you want the fan "exhausting" the air away from the unit, otherwise the fan can be blowing dust into it.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #19147 of 19157 Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 AM
c3k

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9610172 View Post
I hear click sound intermittently and then either center channel or all other channels (except for from two) cut off. All channels come back in a few minutes.

I tried resetting microprocessor, checked/reconnected all the cables. No luck. It works with no problem even for a few days. But sometimes it happens one or twice a day. When it loses channels, they usually come back within 10 minutes. I don’t need to do anything. All the channels just come back with the same click sound. Front panel still shows all channels when it loses the channels.

Question is, is it worth bringing it to service center? It’s still within warranty period. But it happens very randomly and short period of time. They might not find anything. I’m very reluctant to bring it to service center after I experienced overheat problem last year (see below)

Any advice would be appreciated.
My 3312ci has the EXACT issue.

Interesting.

I am loath to bring it to my nearest Denon repair center. It is a 2+ hour drive away. One way. Then, once I bring it there, I've got to replicate an intermittent problem. I foresee a lot of shoulder shrugging. Meanwhile, I get a lot of relay cutouts and sound dropouts.

The speakers are the same ones I used prior to purchasing the Denon 3312ci, when I had my Sony DTR ES 3 (I may have mangled the nomenclature) running. The Sony ran for about 10 years ( Bought it new the year it was released) without any issues whatsoever. I "upgraded" to the Denon due to HDMI input/output, not due to any shortcoming in the Sony.

Could the speakers have an intermittent internal fault causing the relays to cutout to protect from a short? Maybe. The speakers have just sat there; they don't get moved.

At this point, I am glad I've got a 3 year warranty on the 3312ci. I am not glad I have an issue.

I've done the soft reset countless times. I've done a hard reset about a dozen times. (The firmware was updated in May, the day after the latest release.)

I am frustrated, knowing that intermittent problems require tech support to focus on the unit until the fault recurs, and that type of time is simply not available. Unless Denon acknowledges that this issue is known and they have a repair, then I do not think I will get any kind of resolution.

Whereas I've been very happy with the 3312ci, that is tempered by the experience that the unit is unreliable. I never know if I'll have all the speakers working, or not.

My last effort with this amp will be to remove the banana plugs from my speaker wires and use the screw-down connectors.

It is disappointing that Denon has not produced a unit to last as long as the Sony it replaced.

Ken

Last edited by c3k; 07-23-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: More information
post #19148 of 19157 Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Last year I put 2 140mm fans on top front of my 3312 blowing up. They have molex plugs so you can plug them in backwards to get 5v instead of 12v. They don't need to run at full speed. You can't hear them even when you are close.
Temps dropped from over 110F to the low 90s. Measured using an infrared thermometer on the top center near the front. Which is the hottest part.
They will be on my Denon x4100 when ever that is released.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #19149 of 19157 Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3k View Post
It is disappointing that Denon has not produced a unit to last as long as the Sony it replaced.

Ken
All mfr's are going to have a small % of defective units. If this were a widespread issue, there would be a lot more complaints ... which there are not. You could call the repair facility you would use and ask if they can get a refurbished unit to replace the existing unit.

post #19150 of 19157 Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM
c3k

jdsmoothie,

Thanks. Your work here, as well as batpig's, was one of the reasons I bought the 3312CI.

My intermittent failure is frustrating. I'm sure that not all Denon 3312's have the problem that mine has. I have no idea what % does have the same problem. However, another poster, just upstream, does have the same problem. I really don't care what % Denon has: to me, it is a 100% rate of failure. In comparison, I NEVER had to reset my Sony, let alone have any failures, intermittent or otherwise.

I talked to a Denon repair rep. To say I was underwhelmed would be an optimistic spin on my conversation. I was told to retry the steps I'd already taken and then to take it into a repair center. In my dream world, Denon would have issued an RMA authorization (I have the original box; I registered it online) and allowed shipment to them. In a really good dream world, they would have shipped a new unit back after receiving mine. I understand that a refurbished 3312 would be the best I could hope for. However, I'd PREFER if I got a refurbished unit that it would have a NEW warranty with a 3 year clock starting when I received it. My unit started failing several months ago; a little over a year after I bought it.

The Denon rep did not volunteer if he'd ever heard of a similar failure. Frankly, I've read better advice from you and batpig.

I'll call the independent Denon affiliated repair center 2 1/2 hours away and find out what they think. I'm pretty sure it'll be, "Bring it in and we'll see if we can replicate the issue." That will leave me without an AVR for an undetermined period of time. I would expect it to be 3 to 6 weeks. That is poor.

I like it when it works.
I don't like Denon customer service. (Polite, but certainly not doing what is in my best interest.)
I don't like Denon repair service.
I don't like Denon "refurbished with warranty running out" as their replacement program.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic. I'd LOVE to find out I have a bad speaker. (How would I test, if it's intermittent, and happens at various volume levels?) Maybe Denon will step up and offer a replacement a day after I get it to the repair center. Shrug. After talking to their rep, I don't hold out hope for that.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken
post #19151 of 19157 Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM
585-645-1006

^^
There's no reason for a mfr to provide a brand new warranty on a refurbished unit, rather if one is issued, you would have whatever warranty period still remains from the original purchase. You may be better served shipping it to the factory repair center (PanurgyOEM) as not only are average turn around times quicker (1-2 weeks), but they would be better capable of resolving the issue. Prior to shipping, however, I would confirm that if Panurgy is not able to replicate the issue, that you would like a working refurbished unit in its place.

post #19152 of 19157 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The HDMI boards on my avr 2112ci and panasonic gt50 were fried in a lightning storm last night.Can I replace the board on the Denon or buy a new receiver?
The sound still works.
post #19153 of 19157 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post
The HDMI boards on my avr 2112ci and panasonic gt50 were fried in a lightning storm last night.Can I replace the board on the Denon or buy a new receiver?
The sound still works.
Carefully check all items in your house...you may have enough damage to make a homeowner's claim. I didn't think I did, but ended up filing and getting all new stuff.
post #19154 of 19157 Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Denon 2112ci a gross disappointment

I am here basically to rant and to ask for a recommendation.

I bought a Denon 2112ci about two years ago from Best Buy. I upgraded it from a Denon 1912, which I owned for about three weeks. The 1912 was very flaky and worked whenever it felt like it, particularly the AirPlay feature, which rarely worked. The 2112ci was a little better, but still the AirPlay feature disappears regularly.

The biggest complaint I have is the unit is extremely temperamental, with many of the features simply turning off and on with no apparent cause. The Internet Radio feature would sometimes work and other times when I clicked on the Internet Radio button, either on the remote or on the front panel the unit would switch to an all black screen with none of the normal Internet Radio interface showing. A hard reset, accomplished by pulling the plug from the high quality UPS that the unit has been plugged into since day one, was the only way to get it working again. I had similar issues with simply turning the unit on. At least once every week or two the unit would refuse to turn on until I performed a hard reset. I've also done probably a hundred microprocessor resets on this thing. That is supports solution to everything. They never come out and admit that this unit is a POS.

I have been very, very ill over the past 18 months or I would have brought it in for a refund long ago. I only in the last two months have managed to even get out of bed for more than 5 minutes. Having to get up and walk across my room to reset the unit was a real problem.

I've been trying to muster the energy to take it back to Best Buy. Fortunately, I purchased the extended warranty, which gives me four years of support. I contacted Best Buy over a year ago and mentioned my issues and they told me there was no hurry, that I could exchange it anytime during the four years.

BTW, I have spoken with Denon tech support many times, who are actually fairly friendly, although they don't really have solutions. I can't recall how many times they told me the next firmware update could "help" with my issues. They did not.

Today I tried to check for a firmware update. To my surprise I was unable to even select the menu option to do so. I know the Internet connection to the unit is working as I use the browser interface to control it a fair amount. Testing this again proved it was working, yet when I tried to do anything internet related besides access the control interface it simply did not work. I went into "Setup Wizard" - "Network Setup" and it said the Network was configured. A quick check of the network configuration and it was working to a point. The browser was definitely controlling it through the IP address of the network interface, yet still nothing else worked. When I go to Pandora it tells me "No Network Connection"

I have unplugged it for an hour and it made no difference. I cannot even go into the menu area that allows me to program the network.

Anyway, this thing has been a lemon since day one, just like the Denon 1912.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes a solid unit with similar features for around the $700 range? I haven't kept up on this stuff and I could use some recommendations. I really don't like SONY because I had a bunch of SONY products that had premature deaths back in the late 70's to Early 80's. I was partial to Onkyo as I have an M-504 AMP and P-304 Pre-Amp that are now 28 years old and working as well as the day I bought them. My 5-Disc Onkyo CD player died a few days ago, also 28 years old. I did have an Onkyo A/V Receiver just prior to my Denon experience that died in five years of little use. It is hard to know which direction quality has gone over the years for these companies. I do know one thing, everything used to last a lot longer 30 years ago. Everything today seems almost intentionally designed to fail at some point just past the warranty. That may seem cynical, but it has been my experience.

The Denon stuff has been an utter disappointment. I am going to find my receipt and head to Best Buy tomorrow. I'd love to hear recommendation for at least a good company that has products that actually do what they claim.

-------------------------------
Oh, I thought I should mention that I know the network connection to the Denon 2112ci is rock solid. I have been a computer engineer for 34 years and I have designed some of the largest networks in the country and in Europe. I can do this stuff with my eyes closed, so to speak. I have a killer home network with Gigabit switches on every floor and a separate one for the security system. I have tested the connection to the 2112ci and it works great. None of the configuration parameters have changed, although I can't get into the menus far enough to see any more than the IP address at this point. This unit has simply lost its mind. The 2112ci is installed in a wire rack with ten inches free air flow in every directions, up, down, left, right, front, & back. It has never gotten so much as warm, much less overheated.

Edited to add:
My firmware was last checked for an update a few months ago, at which time there was no update. so my unit is likely up to date.

Edit #2 :
It's been a few hours since I posted this. I've done three processor resets to no avail. Internet functions still do not work except for the browser control of the unit; However, for no apparent reason the network configuration menu options are suddenly available and I was able to confirm the settings are correct. These were not available after the numerous resets. The networking ability of this unit has to be working at some level given DHCP negotiated all the correct settings and the browser control is instant and flawless.

I've been reading reviews on all the latest A/V receivers and one thing is clear, they nearly all have serious glitches and intermittent problems. I find it unsettling that seemingly no one is able to make a reliable, functioning receiver. I may have as good a unit as I can expect to have in spite of the fact it is a POS.

Last edited by ArJunaBug; Today at 02:05 AM. Reason: see bottom of post
post #19155 of 19157 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The sound still works.
I feel for you. I had a similar experience about 15 years ago when my chimney was struck so hard it threw bricks and pieces of bricks up to 100 feet away. When it hit I felt as if the bolt went through me and for a split second I though I was dead.

I have always been careful to utilize power protection and even back then I had UPS's installed on all my electronics and computers in the house. Other stuff was protected with a minimum of quality surge protectors. in spite of all that I lost about $2,900 in equipment, including an old 240v electric range built with nothing but old fashioned rheostats and no other electronics. What I discovered was that besides the range, the equipment which was damaged were all connected to either a telephone line or a 4-pair Cat-5 cable. The electromagnetic pulse caused by the lighting bolt induced a current in all these long wires sufficient to fry the equipment they were connected to. I have since eliminated land lines and moved to using the shortest wires possible in my network and linking them to centrally located hubs/switches on each floor and then short hops between floors. I'm not a fan of WiFi filling my house 24/7, so this is not an option for me. It's quite amazing what lightning can do.

My insurance company was very generous in replacing everything and then some, with no depreciation of any kind factored in. I would get a whole new unit if you file a claim. You never know the extent of the damage to the unit. Something else in the unit could go tomorrow or next month due to the strike and you may have no recourse then.

Good luck.

Last edited by ArJunaBug; Yesterday at 11:17 PM.
post #19156 of 19157 Old Today, 02:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
The sound still works.
You can likely find a Denon X2000 on clearance for what it would cost to replace the HDMI board of he 2112CI.

post #19157 of 19157 Old Today, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArJunaBug View Post
I am here basically to rant and to ask for a recommendation.

I bought a Denon 2112ci about two years ago from Best Buy. I upgraded it from a Denon 1912, which I owned for about three weeks. The 1912 was very flaky and worked whenever it felt like it, particularly the AirPlay feature, which rarely worked. The 2112ci was a little better, but still the AirPlay feature disappears regularly.

The biggest complaint I have is the unit is extremely temperamental, with many of the features simply turning off and on with no apparent cause. The Internet Radio feature would sometimes work and other times when I clicked on the Internet Radio button, either on the remote or on the front panel the unit would switch to an all black screen with none of the normal Internet Radio interface showing. A hard reset, accomplished by pulling the plug from the high quality UPS that the unit has been plugged into since day one, was the only way to get it working again. I had similar issues with simply turning the unit on. At least once every week or two the unit would refuse to turn on until I performed a hard reset. I've also done probably a hundred microprocessor resets on this thing. That is supports solution to everything. They never come out and admit that this unit is a POS.

I have been very, very ill over the past 18 months or I would have brought it in for a refund long ago. I only in the last two months have managed to even get out of bed for more than 5 minutes. Having to get up and walk across my room to reset the unit was a real problem.

I've been trying to muster the energy to take it back to Best Buy. Fortunately, I purchased the extended warranty, which gives me four years of support. I contacted Best Buy over a year ago and mentioned my issues and they told me there was no hurry, that I could exchange it anytime during the four years.

BTW, I have spoken with Denon tech support many times, who are actually fairly friendly, although they don't really have solutions. I can't recall how many times they told me the next firmware update could "help" with my issues. They did not.

Today I tried to check for a firmware update. To my surprise I was unable to even select the menu option to do so. I know the Internet connection to the unit is working as I use the browser interface to control it a fair amount. Testing this again proved it was working, yet when I tried to do anything internet related besides access the control interface it simply did not work. I went into "Setup Wizard" - "Network Setup" and it said the Network was configured. A quick check of the network configuration and it was working to a point. The browser was definitely controlling it through the IP address of the network interface, yet still nothing else worked. When I go to Pandora it tells me "No Network Connection"

I have unplugged it for an hour and it made no difference. I cannot even go into the menu area that allows me to program the network.

Anyway, this thing has been a lemon since day one, just like the Denon 1912.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes a solid unit with similar features for around the $700 range? I haven't kept up on this stuff and I could use some recommendations. I really don't like SONY because I had a bunch of SONY products that had premature deaths back in the late 70's to Early 80's. I was partial to Onkyo as I have an M-504 AMP and P-304 Pre-Amp that are now 28 years old and working as well as the day I bought them. My 5-Disc Onkyo CD player died a few days ago, also 28 years old. I did have an Onkyo A/V Receiver just prior to my Denon experience that died in five years of little use. It is hard to know which direction quality has gone over the years for these companies. I do know one thing, everything used to last a lot longer 30 years ago. Everything today seems almost intentionally designed to fail at some point just past the warranty. That may seem cynical, but it has been my experience.

The Denon stuff has been an utter disappointment. I am going to find my receipt and head to Best Buy tomorrow. I'd love to hear recommendation for at least a good company that has products that actually do what they claim.

-------------------------------
Oh, I thought I should mention that I know the network connection to the Denon 2112ci is rock solid. I have been a computer engineer for 34 years and I have designed some of the largest networks in the country and in Europe. I can do this stuff with my eyes closed, so to speak. I have a killer home network with Gigabit switches on every floor and a separate one for the security system. I have tested the connection to the 2112ci and it works great. None of the configuration parameters have changed, although I can't get into the menus far enough to see any more than the IP address at this point. This unit has simply lost its mind. The 2112ci is installed in a wire rack with ten inches free air flow in every directions, up, down, left, right, front, & back. It has never gotten so much as warm, much less overheated.

Edited to add:
My firmware was last checked for an update a few months ago, at which time there was no update. so my unit is likely up to date.

Edit #2 :
It's been a few hours since I posted this. I've done three processor resets to no avail. Internet functions still do not work except for the browser control of the unit; However, for no apparent reason the network configuration menu options are suddenly available and I was able to confirm the settings are correct. These were not available after the numerous resets. The networking ability of this unit has to be working at some level given DHCP negotiated all the correct settings and the browser control is instant and flawless.

I've been reading reviews on all the latest A/V receivers and one thing is clear, they nearly all have serious glitches and intermittent problems. I find it unsettling that seemingly no one is able to make a reliable, functioning receiver. I may have as good a unit as I can expect to have in spite of the fact it is a POS.
Being a Denon thread, I am not sure you will get too many recommendations. I have owned a 3808, 2112, and a 4311. My 2112 handles Airplay via WiFi just fine. The only issue I have ever run into is the current Netflix DD+ issue with my 4311.

I am sorry your unit is not operating as it should, but no company makes perfect AVRs and you will find a large number of people who dislike any particular brand.

Hopefully, BB lets you swap out the 2112 for a newer Denon that works and you will see why so many of us prefer this brand.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page