The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 640 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19171 of 19194 Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon 2312ci shuts off during pandora

looks like it might be overheating but i don't get teh red flashing ring around the power button. The top of the receiver feels pretty warm though. It's never done this before, how can i confirm it is overheating and what can I do to resolve it? It's sitting in a wire rack, totally open on all sides.

Or is there a sleep timer or something I am not aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19172 of 19194 Old 08-19-2014, 02:42 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
^^
If it shuts down after the same amount of time each time the unit is powered on, it is possible that the Sleep Timer (p. 81 Owner's manual) is kicking in without setting it to ON. Is Pandora the only source that causes this? The unit has a 3 year warranty so if repair is required, you'll likely want to get it to a repair facility soon.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-19-2014 at 02:46 AM.
post #19173 of 19194 Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
If it shuts down after the same amount of time each time the unit is powered on, it is possible that the Sleep Timer (p. 81 Owner's manual) is kicking in without setting it to ON. Is Pandora the only source that causes this? The unit has a 3 year warranty so if repair is required, you'll likely want to get it to a repair facility soon.
Actually the red light does flash, i just couldn't see it because the room was too bright. So it's definitely over heating but only when I access internet features like Pandora.

I can watch TV through the receiver all night without issues.

It is still under warranty so I will think about sending it in. I just hate the idea of not having the receiver around for 3-4 weeks..
post #19174 of 19194 Old 08-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
itll eventually die completely. 3-4 weeks is optimistic. Mine took closer to 8-10.
post #19175 of 19194 Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifesaver

This thread just saved my sanity and maybe my life.

My new AVR-X2000 was causing the video to my Panasonic plasma to go completely out with copy protected (HBO movies, series) content from my HTPC. Non copy protected content worked fine. It seemed to be an obvious HTCP problem. With the AVR out, HDMI connected directly from HTPC to TV, it worked.

I tried putting an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR. No help. Also tried between the AVR and the TV. No help.

What was interesting was that running WMC in a window did not have any problems. As soon as I put it into full screen, the picture would go away.

Google got me to this thread and I eventually found this:

Quote:
NVIDIA video card owners: Try the following: Bring up the NVIDIA control panel. For display options, select the AVR (not the HTPC display). AVR->Adjust desktop color settings->Apply the following enhancements->Content type reported to the display->Full-screen video (vice the default of AUTO).
Set that and like magic, full screen protected content magically appeared!
post #19176 of 19194 Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitznFish View Post
Actually the red light does flash, i just couldn't see it because the room was too bright. So it's definitely over heating but only when I access internet features like Pandora.

I can watch TV through the receiver all night without issues.

It is still under warranty so I will think about sending it in. I just hate the idea of not having the receiver around for 3-4 weeks..
This issue is certainly a strange one as the Pandora volume level is likely at least 20-30db lower than TV viewing. Is the "red" blinking light fast (ie 2x/sec) or slow (once/2 sec) as the slow would indicate a ventilation problem? Check for a loose speaker wire from one post touching another if fast blinking. How much clearance above the unit? If you do have to send in for repair, consider shipping to the factory repair center (PanurgyOEM, NJ) as turn around times are generally much quicker (1-2 weeks) than at a local repair facility.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #19177 of 19194 Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post

My new AVR-X2000 was causing the video to my Panasonic plasma to go completely out with copy protected (HBO movies, series) content from my HTPC. Non copy protected content worked fine. It seemed to be an obvious HTCP problem. With the AVR out, HDMI connected directly from HTPC to TV, it worked.

I tried putting an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR. No help. Also tried between the AVR and the TV. No help.

What was interesting was that running WMC in a window did not have any problems. As soon as I put it into full screen, the picture would go away.

Great! Glad it helped. Join us in the 2013 Denon E/X Models thread reviewing posts #3-6 in that thread for more helpful information on your X2000 to include firmware change log information.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

post #19178 of 19194 Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post

Isn't HDMI just awesome?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #19179 of 19194 Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjressel View Post
For some reason I missed this reply when I checked the thread a while ago, sorry for the late response!

I have tried using AirPlay from another PC and I experience the same issue, so I don't think the problem is the PC. The Denon is next to the router on my TV stand, but the desktop is in another room where running Ethernet isn't possible. However, I have connected it with Ethernet temporarily to troubleshoot, and it doesn't help.

I'm going to try replacing the router to see if it is the problem. If that doesn't help, I'll return the router and initiate the warranty claim process.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dual band router that has worked well with AirPlay on the Denon?
I received the Asus RT-N66U router today and had the same exact issues with AirPlay on my Denon. I tested it using only Ethernet from both my desktop and laptop. I think it's time to try the warranty repair process. Luckily, I still have 3 days until my 3 year time period has passed and there is a service center less than 30 minutes from my house.
post #19180 of 19194 Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjressel View Post
I received the Asus RT-N66U router today and had the same exact issues with AirPlay on my Denon. I tested it using only Ethernet from both my desktop and laptop. I think it's time to try the warranty repair process. Luckily, I still have 3 days until my 3 year time period has passed and there is a service center less than 30 minutes from my house.
Good luck!
post #19181 of 19194 Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
This issue is certainly a strange one as the Pandora volume level is likely at least 20-30db lower than TV viewing. Is the "red" blinking light fast (ie 2x/sec) or slow (once/2 sec) as the slow would indicate a ventilation problem? Check for a loose speaker wire from one post touching another if fast blinking. How much clearance above the unit? If you do have to send in for repair, consider shipping to the factory repair center (PanurgyOEM, NJ) as turn around times are generally much quicker (1-2 weeks) than at a local repair facility.
I use banana plugs and saw no wires crossed. However, I did decide to look behind the wall plate and founds some POS and NEG speaker wires touching for one speaker. I fixed that but haven't tried Pandora again. It never overheated watching TV so I'll give Pandora another try when I have the time to wait for it to overheat.
post #19182 of 19194 Old 08-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been having issues with my home theater gear breaking down this summer like crazy. I wonder if power spikes are to blame. I live in FL where storms happen almost daily this summer. I have everything plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector and the "protected" light is on (not that that means everything but it's something).

June:
- Denon AVR-2112CI Video Out port stopped working
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a coincidence or power surge

July:
- Denon AVR-2112CI fixed under Denon 3-yr warranty, "Video Out HDMI board" swapped out
- Bright House Digital Cable Box swapped out

August:
- Less than 60 days later, Denon AVR-2112CI video out stops working again
I thought this was a power surge or maybe the repaired equipment was faulty?

Last Week:
- I used this situation to upgrade to the Denon X-2000
- Denon X-2000 Video Out port stopped working
- Panasonic Plasma TC-50G10 no picture

In the past 3 years I've had zero issues in same living room with same gear plugged in, so this is all of a sudden.

I just bought a Furman Elite-15i to regulate the power and protect from power surges, and I'm hoping that it will fix my problem.
post #19183 of 19194 Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattheww View Post
I've been having issues with my home theater gear breaking down this summer like crazy. I wonder if power spikes are to blame. I live in FL where storms happen almost daily this summer. I have everything plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector and the "protected" light is on (not that that means everything but it's something).

June:

July:
- Denon AVR-2112CI fixed under Denon 3-yr warranty, "Video Out HDMI board" swapped out

August:

Last Week:

In the past 3 years I've had zero issues in same living room with same gear plugged in, so this is all of a sudden.

I just bought a Furman Elite-15i to regulate the power and protect from power surges, and I'm hoping that it will fix my problem.
Use a UPS too.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #19184 of 19194 Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattheww View Post

June:

July:

August:

Last Week:

The Belkin could have very well been the problem.

post #19185 of 19194 Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 449
^^^^ iIrc, it wouldn't be the 1st time
post #19186 of 19194 Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM

I have an AVR-1612. Is there any way to output audio to the connected speakers as well as a simple analog stereo?

I connect my devices to the HDMI inputs of the AVR-1612 and then I use the HDMI out to connect it to my TV. I never used the audio from the TV as obviously the 5.1 sound is better than the TV speakers. However now I would also need another output of the audio (any format at all!).

I tried the optical out and headphone jack from the TV but it didn't work. As I read in this thread, the HDMI output of the AVR-1612 will only output to the speakers OR the TV (I changed the output to the TV but obviously I lost the audio of the speakers).

My first idea was to use the phones jack but I didn't have a 1/4" adapter on hand. Unfortunately from what I read once you connect headphones there audio to the speakers is muted so that won't work (I would buy an adapter if it worked). I didn't see any setting that would allow me to chose wether to mute the speakers or not on headphone connection.

It seemed pretty basic to me but from what I can see it would seem that it is impossible to output any audio at all from the AVR-1612 if you need the speakers to work? I am having a hard time believing that it is impossible. Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do? I see there is a pre-out but I am not very familiar with the concept. From what I could see anyway it can only be configured for Surround backs or Height fronts.
post #19187 of 19194 Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Unfortunately it's not possible. Even if your receiver had an RCA analog output (it doesn't) the vast majority of receivers do NOT downsample digital audio inputs to analog output.

Your best bet is probably a 3rd party device that converts HDMI to stereo analog RCA audio.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #19188 of 19194 Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Jedi View Post
I have an AVR-1612. Is there any way to output audio to the connected speakers as well as a simple analog stereo?

I connect my devices to the HDMI inputs of the AVR-1612 and then I use the HDMI out to connect it to my TV. I never used the audio from the TV as obviously the 5.1 sound is better than the TV speakers. However now I would also need another output of the audio (any format at all!).

I tried the optical out and headphone jack from the TV but it didn't work. As I read in this thread, the HDMI output of the AVR-1612 will only output to the speakers OR the TV (I changed the output to the TV but obviously I lost the audio of the speakers).

My first idea was to use the phones jack but I didn't have a 1/4" adapter on hand. Unfortunately from what I read once you connect headphones there audio to the speakers is muted so that won't work (I would buy an adapter if it worked). I didn't see any setting that would allow me to chose wether to mute the speakers or not on headphone connection.

It seemed pretty basic to me but from what I can see it would seem that it is impossible to output any audio at all from the AVR-1612 if you need the speakers to work? I am having a hard time believing that it is impossible. Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do? I see there is a pre-out but I am not very familiar with the concept. From what I could see anyway it can only be configured for Surround backs or Height fronts.
There is a way depending on what it is you're trying to accomplish and if you can live with only stereo in the main zone. If you are trying to connect a set of wireless headphones, then you can connect the headphones transmitter to the Surr Back/Front Height pre-outs you mentioned and then set the AVR's surround mode to Multi CH Stereo. This will then play any input source to both the speakers (all be it only stereo) and the headphones at the same time.

post #19189 of 19194 Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Unfortunately it's not possible. Even if your receiver had an RCA analog output (it doesn't) the vast majority of receivers do NOT downsample digital audio inputs to analog output.

Your best bet is probably a 3rd party device that converts HDMI to stereo analog RCA audio.
Thanks for the info. I have seen a device that had HDMI as an input and HDMI and a stereo jack as outputs (and it was about $25) but (and I might be wrong) I am not sure that type of device would play well with HDCP and Dolby HD or DTS HD to extract analog audio.
post #19190 of 19194 Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
There is a way depending on what it is you're trying to accomplish and if you can live with only stereo in the main zone. If you are trying to connect a set of wireless headphones, then you can connect the headphones transmitter to the Surr Back/Front Height pre-outs you mentioned and then set the AVR's surround mode to Multi CH Stereo. This will then play any input source to both the speakers (all be it only stereo) and the headphones at the same time.
Your solution looks promising but I am sorry I was not clear on what I am trying to achieve. When I said any audio format (even analog stereo) I meant for 2nd output. I would like my 5.1 speakers to play the original Dolby/DTS 5.1 track and the 2nd output could be any format, even stereo.

I guess what I am trying to achieve is impossible unfortunately with that receiver.

Thanks for your help guys!
post #19191 of 19194 Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I am planning to add-on an external amp (thinking of Emotiva UPA-700) to my Denon 3312. Without adjusting any speaker level trim setting, will the final volume (SPL) increase or decrease or stay constant?
post #19192 of 19194 Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Not sure, but you'll have to rerun Audyssey anyway so it's a moot point.

post #19193 of 19194 Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
^^
Not sure, but you'll have to rerun Audyssey anyway so it's a moot point.
How about generally? Does adding an external amp make things louder or quieter?
post #19194 of 19194 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As there is generally no volume control on an emotiva amp, initially it would likely be louder, which the AVR would then try to compensate for after running Audyssey by attenuating the speaker volume. If the volume gets set to -12db (ie max) then you would have to use a set of 3rd party attenuators to reduce the volume even more such that the setting is something < -12db.

http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...m_campaign=pla

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page