The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 640 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19171 of 19373 Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
CitznFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon 2312ci shuts off during pandora

looks like it might be overheating but i don't get teh red flashing ring around the power button. The top of the receiver feels pretty warm though. It's never done this before, how can i confirm it is overheating and what can I do to resolve it? It's sitting in a wire rack, totally open on all sides.

Or is there a sleep timer or something I am not aware of?
CitznFish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19172 of 19373 Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
^^
If it shuts down after the same amount of time each time the unit is powered on, it is possible that the Sleep Timer (p. 81 Owner's manual) is kicking in without setting it to ON. Is Pandora the only source that causes this? The unit has a 3 year warranty so if repair is required, you'll likely want to get it to a repair facility soon.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-19-2014 at 03:46 AM.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19173 of 19373 Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
CitznFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
If it shuts down after the same amount of time each time the unit is powered on, it is possible that the Sleep Timer (p. 81 Owner's manual) is kicking in without setting it to ON. Is Pandora the only source that causes this? The unit has a 3 year warranty so if repair is required, you'll likely want to get it to a repair facility soon.
Actually the red light does flash, i just couldn't see it because the room was too bright. So it's definitely over heating but only when I access internet features like Pandora.

I can watch TV through the receiver all night without issues.

It is still under warranty so I will think about sending it in. I just hate the idea of not having the receiver around for 3-4 weeks..
CitznFish is offline  
post #19174 of 19373 Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
swizzchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
itll eventually die completely. 3-4 weeks is optimistic. Mine took closer to 8-10.
swizzchard is offline  
post #19175 of 19373 Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Newbie
 
Illuminated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lifesaver

This thread just saved my sanity and maybe my life.

My new AVR-X2000 was causing the video to my Panasonic plasma to go completely out with copy protected (HBO movies, series) content from my HTPC. Non copy protected content worked fine. It seemed to be an obvious HTCP problem. With the AVR out, HDMI connected directly from HTPC to TV, it worked.

I tried putting an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR. No help. Also tried between the AVR and the TV. No help.

What was interesting was that running WMC in a window did not have any problems. As soon as I put it into full screen, the picture would go away.

Google got me to this thread and I eventually found this:

Quote:
NVIDIA video card owners: Try the following: Bring up the NVIDIA control panel. For display options, select the AVR (not the HTPC display). AVR->Adjust desktop color settings->Apply the following enhancements->Content type reported to the display->Full-screen video (vice the default of AUTO).
Set that and like magic, full screen protected content magically appeared!
Illuminated is offline  
post #19176 of 19373 Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitznFish View Post
Actually the red light does flash, i just couldn't see it because the room was too bright. So it's definitely over heating but only when I access internet features like Pandora.

I can watch TV through the receiver all night without issues.

It is still under warranty so I will think about sending it in. I just hate the idea of not having the receiver around for 3-4 weeks..
This issue is certainly a strange one as the Pandora volume level is likely at least 20-30db lower than TV viewing. Is the "red" blinking light fast (ie 2x/sec) or slow (once/2 sec) as the slow would indicate a ventilation problem? Check for a loose speaker wire from one post touching another if fast blinking. How much clearance above the unit? If you do have to send in for repair, consider shipping to the factory repair center (PanurgyOEM, NJ) as turn around times are generally much quicker (1-2 weeks) than at a local repair facility.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19177 of 19373 Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post
This thread just saved my sanity and maybe my life.

My new AVR-X2000 was causing the video to my Panasonic plasma to go completely out with copy protected (HBO movies, series) content from my HTPC. Non copy protected content worked fine. It seemed to be an obvious HTCP problem. With the AVR out, HDMI connected directly from HTPC to TV, it worked.

I tried putting an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR. No help. Also tried between the AVR and the TV. No help.

What was interesting was that running WMC in a window did not have any problems. As soon as I put it into full screen, the picture would go away.

Google got me to this thread and I eventually found this:



Set that and like magic, full screen protected content magically appeared!
Great! Glad it helped. Join us in the 2013 Denon E/X Models thread reviewing posts #3-6 in that thread for more helpful information on your X2000 to include firmware change log information.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19178 of 19373 Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 25,109
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post
This thread just saved my sanity and maybe my life.

My new AVR-X2000 was causing the video to my Panasonic plasma to go completely out with copy protected (HBO movies, series) content from my HTPC. Non copy protected content worked fine. It seemed to be an obvious HTCP problem. With the AVR out, HDMI connected directly from HTPC to TV, it worked.

I tried putting an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR. No help. Also tried between the AVR and the TV. No help.

What was interesting was that running WMC in a window did not have any problems. As soon as I put it into full screen, the picture would go away.

Google got me to this thread and I eventually found this:



Set that and like magic, full screen protected content magically appeared!
Isn't HDMI just awesome?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #19179 of 19373 Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Newbie
 
cjressel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjressel View Post
For some reason I missed this reply when I checked the thread a while ago, sorry for the late response!

I have tried using AirPlay from another PC and I experience the same issue, so I don't think the problem is the PC. The Denon is next to the router on my TV stand, but the desktop is in another room where running Ethernet isn't possible. However, I have connected it with Ethernet temporarily to troubleshoot, and it doesn't help.

I'm going to try replacing the router to see if it is the problem. If that doesn't help, I'll return the router and initiate the warranty claim process.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dual band router that has worked well with AirPlay on the Denon?
I received the Asus RT-N66U router today and had the same exact issues with AirPlay on my Denon. I tested it using only Ethernet from both my desktop and laptop. I think it's time to try the warranty repair process. Luckily, I still have 3 days until my 3 year time period has passed and there is a service center less than 30 minutes from my house.
cjressel is offline  
post #19180 of 19373 Old 08-21-2014, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjressel View Post
I received the Asus RT-N66U router today and had the same exact issues with AirPlay on my Denon. I tested it using only Ethernet from both my desktop and laptop. I think it's time to try the warranty repair process. Luckily, I still have 3 days until my 3 year time period has passed and there is a service center less than 30 minutes from my house.
Good luck!
Nickff is offline  
post #19181 of 19373 Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
CitznFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
This issue is certainly a strange one as the Pandora volume level is likely at least 20-30db lower than TV viewing. Is the "red" blinking light fast (ie 2x/sec) or slow (once/2 sec) as the slow would indicate a ventilation problem? Check for a loose speaker wire from one post touching another if fast blinking. How much clearance above the unit? If you do have to send in for repair, consider shipping to the factory repair center (PanurgyOEM, NJ) as turn around times are generally much quicker (1-2 weeks) than at a local repair facility.
I use banana plugs and saw no wires crossed. However, I did decide to look behind the wall plate and founds some POS and NEG speaker wires touching for one speaker. I fixed that but haven't tried Pandora again. It never overheated watching TV so I'll give Pandora another try when I have the time to wait for it to overheat.
CitznFish is offline  
post #19182 of 19373 Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
mmattheww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having issues with my home theater gear breaking down this summer like crazy. I wonder if power spikes are to blame. I live in FL where storms happen almost daily this summer. I have everything plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector and the "protected" light is on (not that that means everything but it's something).

June:
- Denon AVR-2112CI Video Out port stopped working
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a coincidence or power surge

July:
- Denon AVR-2112CI fixed under Denon 3-yr warranty, "Video Out HDMI board" swapped out
- Bright House Digital Cable Box swapped out

August:
- Less than 60 days later, Denon AVR-2112CI video out stops working again
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a power surge or maybe the repaired equipment was faulty?

Last Week:
- I used this situation to upgrade to the Denon X-2000
- Denon X-2000 Video Out port stopped working
- Panasonic Plasma TC-50G10 no picture
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working

In the past 3 years I've had zero issues in same living room with same gear plugged in, so this is all of a sudden.

I just bought a Furman Elite-15i to regulate the power and protect from power surges, and I'm hoping that it will fix my problem.
mmattheww is offline  
post #19183 of 19373 Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattheww View Post
I've been having issues with my home theater gear breaking down this summer like crazy. I wonder if power spikes are to blame. I live in FL where storms happen almost daily this summer. I have everything plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector and the "protected" light is on (not that that means everything but it's something).

June:
- Denon AVR-2112CI Video Out port stopped working
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a coincidence or power surge

July:
- Denon AVR-2112CI fixed under Denon 3-yr warranty, "Video Out HDMI board" swapped out
- Bright House Digital Cable Box swapped out

August:
- Less than 60 days later, Denon AVR-2112CI video out stops working again
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a power surge or maybe the repaired equipment was faulty?

Last Week:
- I used this situation to upgrade to the Denon X-2000
- Denon X-2000 Video Out port stopped working
- Panasonic Plasma TC-50G10 no picture
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working

In the past 3 years I've had zero issues in same living room with same gear plugged in, so this is all of a sudden.

I just bought a Furman Elite-15i to regulate the power and protect from power surges, and I'm hoping that it will fix my problem.
Use a UPS too.

Samsung 65" HU8550-TS01 Golf chipset, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE's x 7, DefTech ProSub x 3
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-980 ACX 2.0, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti, Asus AC-68 Router, 3 UPS's
Dell XPS 1820 18.4" AIO PC/Tablet
And much more...
doctorwizz is offline  
post #19184 of 19373 Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattheww View Post
I've been having issues with my home theater gear breaking down this summer like crazy. I wonder if power spikes are to blame. I live in FL where storms happen almost daily this summer. I have everything plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector and the "protected" light is on (not that that means everything but it's something).

June:
- Denon AVR-2112CI Video Out port stopped working
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a coincidence or power surge

July:
- Denon AVR-2112CI fixed under Denon 3-yr warranty, "Video Out HDMI board" swapped out
- Bright House Digital Cable Box swapped out

August:
- Less than 60 days later, Denon AVR-2112CI video out stops working again
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working
I thought this was a power surge or maybe the repaired equipment was faulty?

Last Week:
- I used this situation to upgrade to the Denon X-2000
- Denon X-2000 Video Out port stopped working
- Panasonic Plasma TC-50G10 no picture
- Bright House Digital Cable Box simultaneously stopped working

In the past 3 years I've had zero issues in same living room with same gear plugged in, so this is all of a sudden.

I just bought a Furman Elite-15i to regulate the power and protect from power surges, and I'm hoping that it will fix my problem.
The Belkin could have very well been the problem.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19185 of 19373 Old 08-25-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SanchoPanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beauvoir, Mississippi
Posts: 3,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 479
^^^^ iIrc, it wouldn't be the 1st time
SanchoPanza is online now  
post #19186 of 19373 Old 08-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
Legendary Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an AVR-1612. Is there any way to output audio to the connected speakers as well as a simple analog stereo?


I connect my devices to the HDMI inputs of the AVR-1612 and then I use the HDMI out to connect it to my TV. I never used the audio from the TV as obviously the 5.1 sound is better than the TV speakers. However now I would also need another output of the audio (any format at all!).


I tried the optical out and headphone jack from the TV but it didn't work. As I read in this thread, the HDMI output of the AVR-1612 will only output to the speakers OR the TV (I changed the output to the TV but obviously I lost the audio of the speakers).


My first idea was to use the phones jack but I didn't have a 1/4" adapter on hand. Unfortunately from what I read once you connect headphones there audio to the speakers is muted so that won't work (I would buy an adapter if it worked). I didn't see any setting that would allow me to chose wether to mute the speakers or not on headphone connection.


It seemed pretty basic to me but from what I can see it would seem that it is impossible to output any audio at all from the AVR-1612 if you need the speakers to work? I am having a hard time believing that it is impossible. Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do? I see there is a pre-out but I am not very familiar with the concept. From what I could see anyway it can only be configured for Surround backs or Height fronts.
Legendary Jedi is offline  
post #19187 of 19373 Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 25,109
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Unfortunately it's not possible. Even if your receiver had an RCA analog output (it doesn't) the vast majority of receivers do NOT downsample digital audio inputs to analog output.

Your best bet is probably a 3rd party device that converts HDMI to stereo analog RCA audio.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #19188 of 19373 Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Jedi View Post
I have an AVR-1612. Is there any way to output audio to the connected speakers as well as a simple analog stereo?


I connect my devices to the HDMI inputs of the AVR-1612 and then I use the HDMI out to connect it to my TV. I never used the audio from the TV as obviously the 5.1 sound is better than the TV speakers. However now I would also need another output of the audio (any format at all!).


I tried the optical out and headphone jack from the TV but it didn't work. As I read in this thread, the HDMI output of the AVR-1612 will only output to the speakers OR the TV (I changed the output to the TV but obviously I lost the audio of the speakers).


My first idea was to use the phones jack but I didn't have a 1/4" adapter on hand. Unfortunately from what I read once you connect headphones there audio to the speakers is muted so that won't work (I would buy an adapter if it worked). I didn't see any setting that would allow me to chose wether to mute the speakers or not on headphone connection.


It seemed pretty basic to me but from what I can see it would seem that it is impossible to output any audio at all from the AVR-1612 if you need the speakers to work? I am having a hard time believing that it is impossible. Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do? I see there is a pre-out but I am not very familiar with the concept. From what I could see anyway it can only be configured for Surround backs or Height fronts.
There is a way depending on what it is you're trying to accomplish and if you can live with only stereo in the main zone. If you are trying to connect a set of wireless headphones, then you can connect the headphones transmitter to the Surr Back/Front Height pre-outs you mentioned and then set the AVR's surround mode to Multi CH Stereo. This will then play any input source to both the speakers (all be it only stereo) and the headphones at the same time.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19189 of 19373 Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Newbie
 
Legendary Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Unfortunately it's not possible. Even if your receiver had an RCA analog output (it doesn't) the vast majority of receivers do NOT downsample digital audio inputs to analog output.

Your best bet is probably a 3rd party device that converts HDMI to stereo analog RCA audio.
Thanks for the info. I have seen a device that had HDMI as an input and HDMI and a stereo jack as outputs (and it was about $25) but (and I might be wrong) I am not sure that type of device would play well with HDCP and Dolby HD or DTS HD to extract analog audio.
Legendary Jedi is offline  
post #19190 of 19373 Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
Legendary Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There is a way depending on what it is you're trying to accomplish and if you can live with only stereo in the main zone. If you are trying to connect a set of wireless headphones, then you can connect the headphones transmitter to the Surr Back/Front Height pre-outs you mentioned and then set the AVR's surround mode to Multi CH Stereo. This will then play any input source to both the speakers (all be it only stereo) and the headphones at the same time.
Your solution looks promising but I am sorry I was not clear on what I am trying to achieve. When I said any audio format (even analog stereo) I meant for 2nd output. I would like my 5.1 speakers to play the original Dolby/DTS 5.1 track and the 2nd output could be any format, even stereo.


I guess what I am trying to achieve is impossible unfortunately with that receiver.


Thanks for your help guys!
Legendary Jedi is offline  
post #19191 of 19373 Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I am planning to add-on an external amp (thinking of Emotiva UPA-700) to my Denon 3312. Without adjusting any speaker level trim setting, will the final volume (SPL) increase or decrease or stay constant?
Skylinestar is online now  
post #19192 of 19373 Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
^^
Not sure, but you'll have to rerun Audyssey anyway so it's a moot point.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19193 of 19373 Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Not sure, but you'll have to rerun Audyssey anyway so it's a moot point.
How about generally? Does adding an external amp make things louder or quieter?
Skylinestar is online now  
post #19194 of 19373 Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,163
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
^^
As there is generally no volume control on an emotiva amp, initially it would likely be louder, which the AVR would then try to compensate for after running Audyssey by attenuating the speaker volume. If the volume gets set to -12db (ie max) then you would have to use a set of 3rd party attenuators to reduce the volume even more such that the setting is something < -12db.

http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...m_campaign=pla

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #19195 of 19373 Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I really tried to find the answer to this problem in the first thread but no luck so I will dare ask...

I have a Flac 5.1 file. I have tried steaming it to the Denon 1912 using a NAS and I have tried playing it directly using the USB connection on the front with a thumbdrive.

Either way it's non stop stutter for a few seconds then the AVR seems to give up.

What plays seems to play back in glorious 5.1 and I understand this AVR is somehow considered supporting flac 5.1.

Can't think of a way to get to to work though... except having a PC hooked up and sending it via HDMI ... using that way any AVR would support Flac 5.1...

So the NAS I mentioned it hooked up wired to a switch with 2 Gigabit connections (I know the Denon is 10/100 but the rest of the path is higher speed) and the thumb drive is solid state flash... I think the only thing failing here is the AVR... maybe I need to do a network reset?

-BRian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #19196 of 19373 Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I really tried to find the answer to this problem in the first thread but no luck so I will dare ask...

I have a Flac 5.1 file. I have tried steaming it to the Denon 1912 using a NAS and I have tried playing it directly using the USB connection on the front with a thumbdrive.

Either way it's non stop stutter for a few seconds then the AVR seems to give up.

What plays seems to play back in glorious 5.1 and I understand this AVR is somehow considered supporting flac 5.1.

Can't think of a way to get to to work though... except having a PC hooked up and sending it via HDMI ... using that way any AVR would support Flac 5.1...

So the NAS I mentioned it hooked up wired to a switch with 2 Gigabit connections (I know the Denon is 10/100 but the rest of the path is higher speed) and the thumb drive is solid state flash... I think the only thing failing here is the AVR... maybe I need to do a network reset?

-BRian
Even though I am not a huge fan of Apple, this is why I have to give them credt for Airplay. I rip everything into lossless mp4s and beam it around the house using Airplay. Paired with the iTunes Remote on my phone, it couldn't be easier.

Do you have a blu-ray player than handles FLAC or a media player like WDTV Live?

Is the USB in Fat 16 or 32?

Last edited by Nickff; 08-30-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Nickff is offline  
post #19197 of 19373 Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Hi,

I was talking about a Hi Res Multichannel audio file... Airplay doesn't do anything like it.

The USB drive is Fat 32... And, I have a WDLive but it's quite not relevant as the WD Live doesn't do gapless playback so it's essentially worthless to me apart from the great things it does on the video side of things.
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #19198 of 19373 Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Anyway, I found a work-around and that's all that matters.

It's clear the AVR supports flac 5.1, because it sort of played.. I just don't know how someone would go about feeding the AVR flac 5.1 since network or flash drive options seem too slow... I know you can use a PC and just send the audio via HDMI but at that point lots of AVRs would support Flac 5.1
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #19199 of 19373 Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Anyway, I found a work-around and that's all that matters.

It's clear the AVR supports flac 5.1, because it sort of played.. I just don't know how someone would go about feeding the AVR flac 5.1 since network or flash drive options seem too slow... I know you can use a PC and just send the audio via HDMI but at that point lots of AVRs would support Flac 5.1
Can you post the files Media Info or a sample?

Samsung 65" HU8550-TS01 Golf chipset, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE's x 7, DefTech ProSub x 3
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-980 ACX 2.0, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti, Asus AC-68 Router, 3 UPS's
Dell XPS 1820 18.4" AIO PC/Tablet
And much more...
doctorwizz is offline  
post #19200 of 19373 Old 08-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been having difficulties with getting my new Samsung TV UN55HU8550 to work with my Denon AVR-2112CI using ARC. My goal is to be able to have the sound of the Samsung Smart TV apps to go through my Denon receiver.

Right now I have a brand new high speed HDMI cable connected from HDMI 4 on the Samung TV to the monitor out of the Denon receiver. Both of these ports are labelled ARC. I have also enabled HDMI control on the Denon receiver. Which after doing this I was able to select "receiver" as the TV sound output via the Samsung speaker settings.

Here are the HDMI settings I have on the receiver:

Audio Lip Sync: On
HDMI Audio Out: AMP
HDMI Control: Yes
Standby Source: Last
P. Off Control: All

and my Samsung speaker settings:

TV Sound Output: Receiver

While using the volume up/down on the Samsung remote I see on screen next to the speaker icon "AVR-2112". So it seems like some part of the audio return control is working.

I have even tried unplugging all the the HDMI inputs I have going into the receiver (i.e. cable box, bluray, apple tv) with no luck.

Using an optical cable going from the tv to receiver and that seems to work. However I really would prefer to get the audio return control working.

Is there anything else I can try? Is there something else I need to set on the receiver? Do I need to set the input selector on the receiver to a particular one?

I thought this was going to be easy but after spending a few hours on it I almost ready to admit defeat. I wonder if the issue is with the denon receiver.

thanks for any help,
scottfwalter is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off