The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 644 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19291 of 19312 Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any chance of the xx12s supporting Dolby Atmos through a firmware update? (I have a 3312.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19312 Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1498 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
^^
Sorry, but no. Only the 2014 and newer models will support Atmos as doing so requires 4 DSPs, while the 3312CI only has 1 DSP.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #19293 of 19312 Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19294 of 19312 Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello , I have a denon 1712 and I ran audyssey multeq xt. The speakers I have for fronts are the jbl studio 530 and the matching center 520c for surrounds I have some htib onkyo speakers the sub is the xv15. After running audyssey it set my fronts to full band ,center full band and surrounds 120hz . It set the crossover freq For the fronts 40hz ,center 40hz And surrounds 120hz. Am new to the audyssey stuff and I always thought the crossovers should be set at 80hz ?? So why did it set my fronts to 40hz and center ? Is that normal or should I change them to 80hz. I'm just a bit confused and hoping this is the rite set up for my system . Also it ask me if I wanted to turn on dynamic which I did . Should I leave dynamic on or turn off?? What is it for normally?

Front L +2.0db
Front r +2.0db
Center +2.0db
Subwoofer +2.5db
Surround L +0.0
Surround R - 0.5

Again I just wanna make sure I ran audyssey the rite way and hope I'm not missing anything . Thanks

post #19295 of 19312 Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, you'll want to raise the FL/C/FR crossovers up to 80Hz and leave the surrounds at 120Hz. Generally Dyn EQ should be left on for all sources and Dyn Vol set to on for TV view and late night viewing where you don't want to disturb others (although personal preference applies).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #19296 of 19312 Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Ok will do. Also one more thing when I'm watching tv show, football game the fronts center seem low to me I have to raise the volume up. Is there anything I should change ? Thanks again.

post #19297 of 19312 Old 10-23-2014, 03:47 AM
585-645-1006

^^
A couple of options:
(a) Set Dynamic Volume to ON/Evening and also set the Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db, or
(b) Simply boost the center channel volume

Also make sure the center speaker is not just sitting flat on the shelf, rather it should be angled up towards your head and if do that, run Audyssey again.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-24-2014 at 02:06 AM.
post #19298 of 19312 Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
^^^ there are some games on tonight; try with settings jds suggested & see if you still have a problem...
post #19299 of 19312 Old 10-23-2014, 03:52 AM

Ok I will try that when I get off work and will let you know . Thanks

post #19300 of 19312 Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Ok I tried the settings you said and it sounds a lot better! Except on dynamic volume my settings says day/evening/midnight ? Thanks

post #19301 of 19312 Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsnine View Post
Ok I tried the settings you said and it sounds a lot better! Except on dynamic volume my settings says day/evening/midnight ?

Hi goalsnine, Dynamic Volume Evening is the same as Medium.
post #19302 of 19312 Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Gotcha. Thanks

post #19303 of 19312 Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester View Post
Hello all,
I think I have a bit of a problem with my 3312, and thesearch function didn’t bring up my specific issue.

On a very intermittent basis, my left front speaker is weak compared to the right. Just weak enough thatI think I have only ever noticed it while listening to music. I don’t know if I would be able to tell while watching a movie. I think the low end is fine, it is actually the mid and/or highs that are noticeable. When I turn it on and sit in the sweet spot,the image is toward the right speaker. That is how I can tell there is a problem.

When I first heard it I walked up to each front speaker and put my ear up to the tweeters and verified that the right was clearer/louder. When I had my ear up by the left speaker, I reached around and went to check that the banana plugs were in tight. Just by touching the banana plugs the full sound of the speaker came back. They were not loose, all I did was touch them.

I should point out I have NHT Absolute Towers and the speaker cable is monoprice 12 gauge with the gold monoprice banana plugs.

This has happened a few times now, but touching the banana plugs at the speaker no longer fixes the issue. If I go in the closet to access the back of the receiver, I push on the banana plug of the positive left front speaker andthe full sound comes back. The last time I tried, just touching didn’t work, I had to lightly push it towards the receiver. I pushed it hard enough where I was slightly flexing the board that the speaker jacks are mounted on.

I know all this isn’t terribly scientific. As it only happens intermittently, it is hard to go about this in a methodical way. For instance, if it happens again I will touch the negative banana plug on the back of the receiver instead of the positive.

Any thoughts on this? I’m thinking to take the back panel off the receiver and look for some obvious poor connection where I can reflow the solder, but honestly I’m just grasping at this point. I suppose it could be the speaker itself, but after this last time where I needed to apply a bit of pressure makes me think it is the 3312.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Sounds like a loose internal connection although easy enough to swap the FL/FR speakers around to confirm not a speaker issue.
Quote:
Just thinking about this a bit further...
Lets say I rule out the speaker and cannot find any connection problem inside the unit. Would I be able to use the Amp Assign speaker terminals and assign them to be the main L/R speakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Yes, you can change amp assign to "front A bi-amp" and it will send the same signal to the surr.back/assignable speaker terminals as what's going to the front L/R speaker terminals.

Just a quick follow up with this. I swapped my front speakers and found that the problem stayed with the left front, so it is definitely not the speakers. I'm not all that excited to pull the receiver out and open it up, but I will take it out just to look for something obvious.

The problem I am hearing is SO slight, it is almost hard to describe. I sat and listened to music for an hour or so the other day, and I was listening for 20 minutes before I started to suspect the issue had returned. The image is just slightly to the right. I went in the closet behind the receiver and pushed on the LF + connector, sat back down in the sweet spot, and the image was back to the center. Very odd.

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #19304 of 19312 Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Liked: 0
I'm trying to accomplish the following - use the receiver to connect to a TV as well as an outdoor projector, when I take a game or movie outside. The question is the best way to get audio outside to connect to a powered speaker.

My question is if either of the HDMI outputs contain the original audio stream embedded in the HDMI input coming from the source device, or if the Denon "strips" out the audio and only sends on the video portion of the HDMI signal to the output device.

I don't have mine hooked up right now, so I can't test it (in the midst of moving). I'm hoping that the Denon does include passing along the audio stream in the HDMI to the output device so that I could use an HDMI to HDMI + RCA adaptor to then connect the RCA output to the powered speaker.

The other option is to use one of the zone pre-amp outputs to connect to the powered speaker. The issue is the receiver will not route HDMI based audio to either of the zones, only analog or 2 channel PCM digital and not all devices offer optical/coaxial digital or analog these days. Some devices are HDMI only, such as the latest Roku's.

Any suggestions?
post #19305 of 19312 Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM

I have the Denon 3312 model, btw.
post #19306 of 19312 Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretrop View Post
I'm trying to accomplish the following - use the receiver to connect to a TV as well as an outdoor projector, when I take a game or movie outside. The question is the best way to get audio outside to connect to a powered speaker.

My question is if either of the HDMI outputs contain the original audio stream embedded in the HDMI input coming from the source device, or if the Denon "strips" out the audio and only sends on the video portion of the HDMI signal to the output device.

I don't have mine hooked up right now, so I can't test it (in the midst of moving). I'm hoping that the Denon does include passing along the audio stream in the HDMI to the output device so that I could use an HDMI to HDMI + RCA adaptor to then connect the RCA output to the powered speaker.

The other option is to use one of the zone pre-amp outputs to connect to the powered speaker. The issue is the receiver will not route HDMI based audio to either of the zones, only analog or 2 channel PCM digital and not all devices offer optical/coaxial digital or analog these days. Some devices are HDMI only, such as the latest Roku's.

Any suggestions?
I did find you can select hdmi audio output to either amp or TV in the menu. That will probably be the way I try to configure it.
post #19307 of 19312 Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any owner of a 1312 receiver? Can I ask you what kind of set up are you using with it? I mean speakers-wise. Right now I'm using the ones that came with it (I bought the 5.1 package), but I'm interested in upgrading. Only the front L-R for now though.

I was thinking about the Indiana Line Tesi, but I'm worried about wattage, ohms, etc... (Not really an expert), so I thought about asking here.
post #19308 of 19312 Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Just thinking about this a bit further...

Lets say I rule out the speaker and cannot find any connection problem inside the unit. Would I be able to use the Amp Assign speaker terminals and assign them to be the main L/R speakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Yes, you can change amp assign to "front A bi-amp" and it will send the same signal to the surr.back/assignable speaker terminals as what's going to the front L/R speaker terminals.
Quote:
Just a quick follow up with this. I swapped my front speakers and found that the problem stayed with the left front, so it is definitely not the speakers. I'm not all that excited to pull the receiver out and open it up, but I will take it out just to look for something obvious.

The problem I am hearing is SO slight, it is almost hard to describe. I sat and listened to music for an hour or so the other day, and I was listening for 20 minutes before I started to suspect the issue had returned. The image is just slightly to the right. I went in the closet behind the receiver and pushed on the LF + connector, sat back down in the sweet spot, and the image was back to the center. Very odd.

So I took my receiver apart last night and poked around for anything amiss, but didn't find anything. (Not surprised)

I connected the FL and FR to the surr.back/assignable speaker terminals, and changed the front speaker settings to A+B. Is this the correct way? I now see Batpig mention setting to Bi-Amp. I suppose I could also set them to "B" instead of A+B. Is one more correct than the other?

I am assuming Audyssey and the like does not need to be rerun, correct? The sound should be identical on the amp assign terminals?

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #19309 of 19312 Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Shouldn't matter whether "A+B" or "B" as you're only connecting the "B". If Audyssey is still active, then no need to run it again.

post #19310 of 19312 Old 10-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretrop View Post
I did find you can select hdmi audio output to either amp or TV in the menu. That will probably be the way I try to configure it.
Yup. It will send it along. But as you stated, its whats on in the main zone. Zone 2 is composite video and analog/pcm only. The newer X4000 has HDMI zone 2 and pass through for audio, I believe but dont take my word right now.
post #19311 of 19312 Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hello,

I'm new here.

i've bought a Denon 1612 on ebay for $89.

My question is will it power my 5.1 surround set-up Left, Center, Right and two at the back TEAC H265 speakers with a Dayton 1200 12" subwoofer? Btw, this is my first home theater set-up.

I will connect my htpc to the receiver and play 720/1080p movies through my network server.

This is a budget set-up. Will the sound be decent enough for movies with the Denon 1612 receiver?
post #19312 of 19312 Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup. Shouldn't be a problem.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page