The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 658 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #19711 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 504
^^^ even Mono over 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19712 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try this. I had same issue on my avr 3312. The Centre AND BOTH SIDE SURROUNDS WOULD INTERMITTENTLY CUT-OUT-I would hear a mechanical click as though a relay was switching in and out. So get some constant audio happening through all 5.1 or your 6.1/7.1 spkrs orchestral music is best for this test. Long sustained passages which will be instantly noticeable if the SIDE REARS and the CENTRE drop-out.
Ten while the system is playing, go to the REAR LEFT CORNER of the receiver and place fingers under unit close to the rear left corner. Gently/slowly LIFT just that corner up to around half an inch or so. Do you hear a relay click? Did you lose the Side surrounds and centre? If you DO have the unit connected to 6 or 7.1 my eperience with this issue had the 2 BACK SURROUNDS STILL OPERATING. Lower the Left Rear Corner and has the 3 dropped channels returned? So try the lift again? What happens?. Mine would drop-out with gentle lift at that corner then return once the relay clicked again upon resting the corner. I couldn't get ANY help on any forum so I tried series of body flex tests and wow does that model's body flex if moved! One thing I tried out of desperation was to grab a Philips screwdriver of about 10 inches long for max grip and effect and CAREFULLY apply strong pressure as I went along absolutely EVERY Philips screw I could find along the rear of the receiver-absolutely EVERY PHILIPS SCREW at all ON THE TOTAL AREA OF REAR PANEL.. ALL got a pretty firm tighten-careful not to OVERdo your strength or allow the screw head to burr!!. Several were quite loose. Mine travelled from China to Tennessee and Tennessee to Far North Qld state near top of Australia. Maybe loosened due to vibration in transport.
I got nowhere with Denon in Oz, so I decided to try a coin at a time under the Left Rear Foot until about a 4-5 mm shim effect seemed to get rid of the intermittent problem. The screw tightening seemed to markedly reduce the relay switching to a huge extent already. Now no more loss of those 3 channels. So many members have written in to the various forums with same issue and no-one seemed to hit nail on head. So I went my own way. BUT DON'T TELL ME THAT D&M DON'T KNOW the WHAT & WHY of this. I reckon intermittent earth connect or solder joint which cracks with small element of body flexing-maybe as result of lifting heavy item from box when we receive the item originally??
They just haven't had the "u-know-whats" to own-up as has Onkyo about their HDMI board and related issues."
So guys with any DENON xx12 or similar model model-if u have same issues-give this suggestion a try. Let us know. Hope this helps you. Best regards.
post #19713 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
When the issue only presents on some channels, it likely is a result of how that particular channel's audio is being broadcast. In some cases, the channel will broadcast 2CH stereo audio over a DD 5.1 audio track, causing you to only hear audio from the FL/FR speakers even though the AVR believes a 5.1 signal is being received.

I too have experienced this many times with our Cable Box. Until I realised it's what is transmitted by the Cable Company (CC) that causes this to occur. A lot of times we get supposedly 5.1 sound with a program according to their own schedule only to find it's Dolby 2.0. Sometimes it's 5.1 but compressed so much by the CC it just sounds "off". I used to expect decent sound from the CC but now I rarely bother with TV via my system as it's so unpredictable.

Of course it could be your Receiver. As a last resort you could try a reset.

Regards,

Jim
post #19714 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
When playing music via net/usb on my AVR-1912, the track info displayed on my tv screen shows elapsed time, but not remaining or total track time. Do any of the more recent Denon AVRs display this info? Thanks.
Mike
post #19715 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 4704 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochpa View Post
When playing music via net/usb on my AVR-1912, the track info displayed on my tv screen shows elapsed time, but not remaining or total track time. Do any of the more recent Denon AVRs display this info? Thanks.
Mike
Can't say what model year it started, but at least on the 2014 and 2015 models, both elapsed and remaining time display.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #19716 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM

Thanks JD!
Mike
post #19717 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
When the issue only presents on some channels, it likely is a result of how that particular channel's audio is being broadcast. In some cases, the channel will broadcast 2CH stereo audio over a DD 5.1 audio track, causing you to only hear audio from the FL/FR speakers even though the AVR believes a 5.1 signal is being received.
Ya the thing is that this just started happening, everything was fine before about 2 weeks ago...and its not like the 2 channels are broadcasting in 2.0, its like they're trying to do 5.1 but the other 3 speakers are off. Also this is an issue with Netflix on my Xbox One...again I realized some feeds might say dolby but its only 2.0. Is there a way to do like a full reset to factory defaults or something like that? I've gone through the menu about a dozen times and can't find it!
post #19718 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 01:26 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc05 View Post
Ya the thing is that this just started happening, everything was fine before about 2 weeks ago...and its not like the 2 channels are broadcasting in 2.0, its like they're trying to do 5.1 but the other 3 speakers are off. Also this is an issue with Netflix on my Xbox One...again I realized some feeds might say dolby but its only 2.0. Is there a way to do like a full reset to factory defaults or something like that? I've gone through the menu about a dozen times and can't find it!
When the input signal is DD 5.1, there's no way you would know if it was truly 5.1 or only 2.0 (unless of course you only hear audio from the FL/FR speakers). There is a lot of very helpful information provided in posts 3-6 on page 1 of this thread to include information in post 5 about how to do both a microprocessor and network reset.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-24-2015 at 01:54 PM.
post #19719 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Can't say what model year it started, but at least on the 2014 and 2015 models, both elapsed and remaining time display.
JD, how about the X4000?
Mike
post #19720 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 01:56 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochpa View Post
JD, how about the X4000?
Mike
Likely yes, but I would ask in the 2013 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below to confirm for sure.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #19721 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Re: AVR 3312 Cent & Side Surr Cutting-Out

My Orig' Post about this perhaps didn't highlight the outcome...The problem of Centre and Side Surrounds cutting-out intermittently no longer happens after ALL Philips Head screws on entire REAR of the AVR were very, very well tightened. The rear Left Foot of AVR sits on a Ozzie 50 cent coin as a shim. This finalised the issue! BTW the intermittent cut-out of those same 3 channels would occur irrespective of what Source was chosen. Naturally when speaking of those 3 channels cutting-out it would ONLY occur when audio was EXPECTED to be delivered thru ALL channels. ie Not if one is playing sumthin' in Stereo 2 Ch of course. ( I KNOW some members may ask WHY ? .......)
post #19722 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 504
^^^ good advice to tighten the screws; I'll do so & report back...next time the Center & Surrounds go out...
post #19723 of 19732 Old 07-24-2015, 11:04 PM

My Centre & the 2 Side Surr channels would go ON and OFF with me lifting the REAR LEFT CORNER of the AVR 3312. I would hear the mechanical sound of a relay clicking in & out with the lifting action. The lifting only needed to be around half an inch or so. That's what made me think about an Earth point being loose or some such thing-leading me to tighten all rear panel screws, including those close to socketry etc in case of a Grounding connection or such on the inside being loose etc.
At first I lifted the lid and looked closely with bright light & high magnification etc but I couldn't find any clues by doing that. I thought maybe wherever that little relay is mounted there may be a poor solder job that is disturbed as a board flexes with the lifting of the Left Rear corner of the AVR.
But as I said, none of the dropping-out of the centre & Side Surround channels has occurred since the very firm tightening of those rear panel screws and shoving the coin under the rear left foot. With ALL of the posts on these forums about essentially the same thing, I cannot believe that Denon haven't been aware of this! Grrrrrrr.....
So yeah Sancho Panza, try it.. let's know how you go; and give my regards to Zorro too

Last edited by cairns4me; 07-24-2015 at 11:20 PM.
post #19724 of 19732 Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Gents,

Just for grins I'm close to buying a Denon AVR-1612 for an inexpensive 5.1 set-up in my basement. I know the receiver is 3 years old (or so) but the seller says it's in "perfect condition" except he's lost the Audyssey MultEQ auto calibration mic. I think I can buy a new Mic off ebay for $20 as I really wanted to try the Audyssey MultEQ system after I buy it. Is this still a good buy even though it's 3 years old?

Thanks for the assist.
Quote:
Gents,

Thanks for all the responses. I think original retail was around $350 CAN (I'm from greater Vancouver, BC) so without the Mic, he's agreed to sell it for only $80 (about $65 US Funds) which is a steal if it's really in "perfect condition". The photo with the Ad looked really good. He's a middle aged guy, as he said his daughter is graduating high school this week, and I can't pick it up until the weekend => so I don't think he's upselling the condition. (He bought a new Marantz so his Misses said the old one must Go! Certainly sounds married....)

I'm glad no one chimed in and said the 1612 was a lemon and to stay away from it.

Thanks for the assist.
Quote:
Hi Gents,

I finally connected with the man who was selling the AVR-1612. He's been somewhat unreachable as his Daughter's graduation was this week and he just sold his house and needs to buy a small apartment or Condo quickly as there is a short possession duration. So we made arrangements for me to pick it up without testing it this afternoon as he was out looking at Real Estate.

I tried to turn it on, and simply, it doesn’t work. When you power it on it lights up for a second or so, but then before you hear any speaker relay lockin it powers off. Then it tries again. And again, etc. The whole time the greenlight around on /standby button is blinking. This goes on continuously until youunplug the unit or timely press the on /standby button. It does this withnothing connected to it , 2 speakers connected, 3, speakers or 5. One time it did latch at random and I was able to play some music through it and an FMstation worked. But as soon as I connected an HDMI cable so I could startlooking at Menus on a monitor, it shut down again and now is back in the samemode.

I’ve tried every combination (including resetting the microprocessor) but nothing makes it work. It’s now well after midnight and I’m tired.

What should I do next?

Thanks for the assist.
Quote:
That's where I'm headed. I did check out the repair costs and they exceed the cost for the AVR-1612.

I'll return it to him for Recycling.

Hi Gents,

The AVR-1612 saga gets a little more strange. The Seller & I could not connect for about 3 weeks so he mailed me the refund, and said I could keep the 1612 for repair or recycle. Sadly it was headed for the scrap heap, and I was looking again for an inexpensive used Denon for the basement system. One of the ones I came across was a AVR-S500BT demo unit on an auction site that somehow lost it's Master Volume Knob and Remote. So, as I hadn't scrapped the 1612 yet, I went down to the basement to see if I could reuse those bits off the 1612 if I was the successful bidder for the S500BT. While there I remembered a post where someone dropped a receiver after it went dead, and it came back to life. The 1612 still looked like new and I was sad to have to scrap it. So I picked it up, turned its display to the ceiling and, with a closed fist, rapped it hard 3 times on the bottom near the rear. I then plugged it in and it worked!

I didn't believe it, so I left it on (with nothing attached) for 10 minutes while I went upstairs and got a coffee. I came down and it was still working (display only - no sound of course) . So I connected all the speakers, Sub, AM & FM antennas (even though reception in the basement kind of sucks) and a Pioneer DVD player I retired from my other systems to provide a multichannel sound source. And dam if I didn't get sound from all sources. I had the composite video output from the Pioneer connected to an old Phillips CRT TV that I bought for my kids to play video games on ages ago. (It does have a 480i component input but that's the best it can do.) I used a coaxial RCA connecter from the Pioneer to the 1612.

Now as I didn't have a video out connector from the 1612 to the TV to see the Setup Menus, I tried the composite Monitor Out and failed. It took me a while to figure out the 1612 only lets you see the Setup Menus via HDMI. (Much later I found on Page 7 of the manual - The menu screen and status display are displayed when this unit and a TV are connected by HDMI. Furthermore, the menu screen and status display are not displayed when this unit and a TV are connected by VIDEO.) By the way I think this is a very stupid configuration requirement. I deliberately made sure this Denon had a composite or component video out assuming I could connect it to the old dinosaur Phillips TV. Anyway, as a work around I took a surplus 23 inch Asus LED computer monitor that was in the basement (I build / repair PCs for friends and family as a hobby) that had an HDMI input, and connected it but first disconnected the Video output from the 1612 to the TV as I know lots of electronics have HDMI handshake issues and sometimes can't cope with multiple connections at once. And Voilà! there was the menus.

I was able to navigate through and tweak everything but of course not the Audyssey functions as the 1612 lacked the Microphone when I bought it (Can I still say that?). In a bid to try again to get the Menus onto the TV (so I didn't have to have an extra monitor in the setup) I tried, while everything was operating, to again connect the Denon to the TV via the composite connector. (Again this was before I found it in the manual.) As soon as I connect it the Denon shut down.

I immediately pulled the Video connection and turned on the 1612, but it once again when into that perpetual on/off cycling. So in desperation I picked up the receiver (this time with all the connections - save for the TV - still made) and rapped it 3 times as before. Amazingly it worked.

Now one of the reasons I wanted to find a Denon, was when I was looking for a new Receiver a year or so back, I was really interested in their Audyssey setup functions. But I had heard the Denons were not built like the ones of old (nor were the Marantz. I had a 2325 Marantz ages ago that performed flawlessly.) But I stumbled onto the Sony STR-DN1040, and later the STR-DN1050 and bought one of those due to the amazing rave reviews it received from very reputable sources, and a introductory discount price from the Sony Store.

Anyway, I wanted to try the Audyssey setup functions of the 1612 before anymore issues cropped up. So I left the setup as is. Checked it every day to ensure it worked => it did, so I never plugged in the composite Video connection again to date. And I found a new DM-A409 Mic on line from a US source (folks here said there were clones from China out there). It arrived the other day, so Immediately went into the basement to try it out. Unlike the Sony STR-DN1050 which uses only one seating location for set up, the Denon AVR-1612 looks for 3. As Denon sources it's system from Audyssey, I was expecting a much more sophisticated result. But just like the Sony, in a dead quiet room, it too missed the distance dimensions. I should advise the speakers in the Basement are all new JBL Loft series I got for a song. (Loft50s are the Front - Loft 20 Center Channel and Loft 40s for the surround. There is a Precision HDS10 Sub.) I had all the speakers set to 80 Hz but Audyssey set the Loft50s to full range, the center to 60 Hz and the surrounds somewhere above that (sorry I forgot that setting ) . Even though the Fronts are identical and at the same distance from the prime seat it tweaked the EQ quite differently. As they are all "matched" according to JBL I expected similar adjustments to all of them.

So the Question is should this be expected? Is this normal for this vintage of Audyssey? Do you rely on the Audyssey settings, or use them (like I did for the Sony version so far) as just a guide and tweak them manually from there? I certainly expected Audyssey to nail all of these parameters. Maybe it does on the more expensive / newer receivers ? Comments?

As for the mechanical (?) issues on the 1612. I am a licensed Electrician with a year of Electronics Technician training some years ago so I'm not too adverse to taking the 1612 apart (what do I have to lose) and reseating any connections, cables, etc. As posted above, I'll torque all the screws all well!

You Gents are vastly more experienced than I with Denon so any and all comments will be appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by -Jim-; Yesterday at 07:55 AM. Reason: Changes in Font size -looks strange
post #19725 of 19732 Unread Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Gents,

Another question please. I've been trying to connect the old Motorola DCT-6200 Cable Box to the 1612. I have a DVI to HDMI Cable. If I connect it direct to the Asus Monitor it works great, but if I put it into the 1612, there is no real output. I do see flashes of the picture and a blue warning box about degraded video signal (or something like that. It flashes by too quickly and isn't repeating.)

I noticed on the web the Denon AVR-1609 had something on it in the manual, but it seemed routine. (Simply plug in and you are golden.) Do you have any tips on connecting a DVI output into the 1612?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jim
post #19726 of 19732 Unread Today, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Is this a possible setup in 3312 ? Can all these speakers be engaged at the same time with Dolby Prologic IIz (front height with surround back) ?
FL + FR + SL + SR + FHL + FHR + SB (single back/rear surround) + Sub
^ still within the 7.1 processing channel count. Notice there is no center channel.
post #19727 of 19732 Unread Today, 01:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Gents,

Another question please. I've been trying to connect the old Motorola DCT-6200 Cable Box to the 1612. I have a DVI to HDMI Cable. If I connect it direct to the Asus Monitor it works great, but if I put it into the 1612, there is no real output. I do see flashes of the picture and a blue warning box about degraded video signal (or something like that. It flashes by too quickly and isn't repeating.)

I noticed on the web the Denon AVR-1609 had something on it in the manual, but it seemed routine. (Simply plug in and you are golden.) Do you have any tips on connecting a DVI output into the 1612?

Thanks again.
You may want to consider adding an HDMI Detective.

http://www.amazon.com/GEFEN-EXT-HD-E.../dp/B00MN3KKK2

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #19728 of 19732 Unread Today, 01:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Is this a possible setup in 3312 ? Can all these speakers be engaged at the same time with Dolby Prologic IIz (front height with surround back) ?
FL + FR + SL + SR + FHL + FHR + SB (single back/rear surround) + Sub
^ still within the 7.1 processing channel count. Notice there is no center channel.
No, as the "Channel Select" setting requires you to select "either" Surround Back or Front Height.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #19729 of 19732 Unread Today, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Hi,

I currently have the 3312 model here in Australia (not the 3312CI) and was wondering if 3D is supported on this model? I've tried researching, but most info I find only refers to the 3321CI.

Cheers,
Zoltrix
post #19730 of 19732 Unread Today, 01:38 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Hi,

I currently have the 3312 model here in Australia (not the 3312CI) and was wondering if 3D is supported on this model? I've tried researching, but most info I find only refers to the 3321CI.

Cheers,
Zoltrix

Yes, it does as 3D was first introduced with HDMI 1.4 on the XX11 models in 2010 whereas the 3312 is a 2011 model.
Zoltrix likes this.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #19731 of 19732 Unread Today, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, it does as 3D was first introduced with HDMI 1.4 on the XX11 models in 2010 whereas the 3312 is a 2011 model.
Thanks for the info mate. Though I think it is a no for 4k support, is that correct?
post #19732 of 19732 Unread Today, 01:46 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Thanks for the info mate. Though I think it is a no for 4k support, is that correct?
Correct. 4k support was first introduced with the 2013 models, however, when the new HDCP 2.2 is implemented on the new 4k UHD BDs later this year/2016, unless you have a 2015 model, you will need to a dual HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 Blu Ray player, using one HDMI output to pass the HDCP 2.2 video to the TV and the other HDMI output to pass the HD audio to the AVR.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page