AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#13,361 ·
^^

Ahhh thank you! I didnt see the volume slider in the app. I was messing with the volume on the side of the iPad and digging in Denon menus. I haven't run the setup yet so I thought it might be in there. I just wanted to get this thing up an running. A lot has changed since I got my old Pioneer back in '97.

One of these days when I can get my hands on a phone with HDMI capabilities I will see what happens.

#13,364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22127439

I forgot to ask, but is this "pixel shift" only occuring with your HTPC or with other sources as well? If you go the HDMI splitter route, first just connect the HTPC to the splitter and the splitter to the AVR and see if the "pixel shift" still occurs. I'm still trying to find out if a firmware fix will be made available for the non-networking models.

My HTPC is the only thing I use, however I did try it with two different ones computers. One ATI and one Nvidia. Both did it.

I plan on ordering the splitter from monoprice so it would be a few days before I can report back on that.

Thanks for looking. Still no reply from online help but I expect one soon.

#13,365 ·
Hi Everyone.

Having trouble with my relatively new arv 2112ci. I am not getting any video output to my tv, but the sound is working fine foe things like Pandora. I feel like this happened before I I figured out what was wrong, but I can't remember for the life of me. Is this just a setting I messed with or do I have a real problem. Video for every other input source works. Thanks for the help!

#13,368 ·

Quote:
I own a Denon AVR-1712. On the 24th of May a firmware update was released for the 1912 and the 2112. One of the issues this firmware update fixed was with the pixels being shifted over to the right one.

I am currently having this issue with my model and I was wondering if there was a firmware update available for my model from a service center.
Quote:
Hi James,

You can have the receiver updated by contacting a service center at the following link.
http://usa.denon.com/us/Support/Pages/ServiceCenterSearch.aspx

Thank you,

Technical Support

D&M Holdings NA
Quote:
I have contacted two of them. Both have said that I would have to find out if there is an update by contacting Denon.

Are you saying that there was a firmware update for the non network enabled models release on or after may 24th that fixes the specific issue of pixels being shifted one over?
Quote:
Hi James,

There was a firmware release for the AVR-1712 back in May for a pixel issue.

Thank you,

Technical Support

D&M Holdings NA

#13,369 ·
Question for you Denon owners and general receiver question. I am looking to purchase the Denon 3312, but I was curious about something. Is it possible to allow all of your inputs to still plug directly to your television but have only the general audio from the tv going to the sound system? The reason I ask this is because I have a TV that saves the settings based on the input and I don't want to only have one input into the TV from the receiver because then I will only have one input to change the picture settings for.

I hope I worded this to make sense!

Thanks again for everyone's help on these forums....AVS Forums are the BEST!!

#13,370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22126860

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnmike  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13350#post_22126835

I have an avr1612 and when using my scientific Atlanta cox hd box on 1080 channels it starts randomly dropping signal. Fine on 720p channels? I have plugged the hdmi from the box to the tv and optical cable to the avr to get rid of the issue but it'd be nice to not have to do that.

It's a common problem with cable boxes. If you've read this thread, you'll know that. Or even the opening page. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done on the AVR/TV side. It's the cable box that's following the non-standard HDCP implementation that causes this issue.
No need to be brash. This thread is 670 pages long and the first couple pages are set up recommendations. I have read as much as possible on it and I thank you for the information. I'll keep it the way it is as it works fine with my current config

#13,371 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13350_50#post_22129466

Question for you Denon owners and general receiver question. I am looking to purchase the Denon 3312, but I was curious about something. Is it possible to allow all of your inputs to still plug directly to your television but have only the general audio from the tv going to the sound system? The reason I ask this is because I have a TV that saves the settings based on the input and I don't want to only have one input into the TV from the receiver because then I will only have one input to change the picture settings for.

Sure it's possible, but then you're limited to PCM 2.0 from the TV to the AVR which is not likely what you want. If you can't use a single set of video settings for all sources (which most do), you may want to consider HDMI (video) from the source to the TV and a separate audio cable (HDMI or optical or digital coax) to the AVR for discrete DD/DTS 5.1 audio. Fortunagely for you, the 3312CI has an extra set of optical/digital coax inputs, although you may still need to purchase either an optical switch to increase optical inputs or an optical ---> coax digital converter.

#13,372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129466

depends on the display...

edit: plus what jd said....

imo/ime, calibrating video for different sources can be a bit of a fool's errand... however, what you could do (maybe, it also might cause a hdcp issue from hell) is put a splitter on the output of the avr and split the signal into different inputs on the tv...

#13,373 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129466

All of what JD and ccotenj said. However, if you are absolutely hung up on the idea of multiple inputs to your TV, then do this:

Cable Box. HDMI directly to TV, optical/coax audio from cable box directly to receiver. This way, you aren't losing picture OR audio capabilities.

BluRay Player. HDMI to 3312CI, HDMI from Output 2 to TV input 2 (or whatever bluray input you want)

HTPC. HDMI to 3312CI. HDMI from Output 1 (3312CI) to same TV, but input 1.

That's really your only option.

#13,374 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnmike  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13350_50#post_22129471

No need to be brash. This thread is 670 pages long and the first couple pages are set up recommendations. I have read as much as possible on it and I thank you for the information. I'll keep it the way it is as it works fine with my current config

Well ..... the Troubleshooting section in post #3 does address issues with cable boxes being quite common.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_50#user_L11

#13,375 ·
#13,376 ·
^^^

i just did...

press the "thumbs up" button...

#13,377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129483

imo/ime, calibrating video for different sources can be a bit of a fool's errand... however, what you could do (maybe, it also might cause a hdcp issue from hell) is put a splitter on the output of the avr and split the signal into different inputs on the tv...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129478

Sure it's possible, but then you're limited to PCM 2.0 from the TV to the AVR which is not likely what you want. If you can't use a single set of video settings for all sources (which most do), you may want to consider HDMI (video) from the source to the TV and a separate audio cable (HDMI or optical or digital coax) to the AVR for discrete DD/DTS 5.1 audio. Fortunagely for you, the 3312CI has an extra set of optical/digital coax inputs, although you may still need to purchase either an optical switch to increase optical inputs or an optical ---> coax digital converter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129512

All of what JD and ccotenj said. However, if you are absolutely hung up on the idea of multiple inputs to your TV, then do this:

Cable Box. HDMI directly to TV, optical/coax audio from cable box directly to receiver. This way, you aren't losing picture OR audio capabilities.

BluRay Player. HDMI to 3312CI, HDMI from Output 2 to TV input 2 (or whatever bluray input you want)

Thank you for each persons suggestions regarding this topic. I bring this up because I am specifically asking about like gaming consoles and my PS3 is my bluray player. My TV is a new Samsung LED tv and unfortunately when playing XBox I must have it on "game mode" so I don't get any input lag. Well this will take away from some of the overall picture which is fine because it still looks really good to me but I won't to keep my tv fulling firing on all pistons when I am playing a bluray, etc. so I don't have to put it into "game mode." This is just one example and also my TV has a lot of settings that can be tweaked and some need to apply to what is being displayed on the TV (source) and some do not apply to others. Hence why I would like to keep my sources, inputs, going straight into the TV. The only down-side is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 do not have seperate coax/optical slots from HDMI.

Thanks for everyone's help.

#13,378 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13400_50#post_22129784

The only down-side is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 do not have seperate coax/optical slots from HDMI.

I don't know about the xBox, but for certain the PS3 does ....

#13,379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129784

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129483

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129478

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129512

Thank you for each persons suggestions regarding this topic. I bring this up because I am specifically asking about like gaming consoles and my PS3 is my bluray player. My TV is a new Samsung LED tv and unfortunately when playing XBox I must have it on "game mode" so I don't get any input lag. Well this will take away from some of the overall picture which is fine because it still looks really good to me but I won't to keep my tv fulling firing on all pistons when I am playing a bluray, etc. so I don't have to put it into "game mode." This is just one example and also my TV has a lot of settings that can be tweaked and some need to apply to what is being displayed on the TV (source) and some do not apply to others. Hence why I would like to keep my sources, inputs, going straight into the TV. The only down-side is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 do not have seperate coax/optical slots from HDMI.

It sounds like my solution is perfect for you then.

Edit: The 3312ci also has a game mode. But it might still make your XBox games reaction time slower combined with your TV's game mode.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2