The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 672 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #20131 of 20134 Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveon View Post
The only receiver Input being used is for audio and that's the optical-S/PDIF, not HDMI. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Sorry, meant the input on the TV (where you select input with the remote). That's on an LG, but may work for others. Just something to try.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20132 of 20134 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have a 3312 and just purchased the Xbox One S for its UHD optical drive. The Xbox is connected to my 4K TV (HDMI) and the 3312 (S/PDIF). I am only getting 2 channel audio. Are there any options available to get 5.1

I've heard if you switch inputs to another then back to the HDMI then it starts going 5.1.

Quote:
The only receiver Input being used is for audio and that's the optical-S/PDIF, not HDMI. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Sorry, meant the input on the TV (where you select input with the remote). That's on an LG, but may work for others. Just something to try.

Thanks for the suggestion tcat but no go.

Just to clarify... from the Xbox, hdmi goes to the TV and also from the Xbox, optical goes to Receiver.

Reading the S/PDIF specs on Wikipedia I see that...
"S/PDIF is based on the AES3 interconnect standard.[1] S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless formats (such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) that require greater bandwidth..."

So I tried with a DVD that gave the option to choose DTS 5.1 but this didn't work either, Receiver still showing PCM 2.0 as input.

Does anyone know if the receiver is capable of decoding 5.1 via its optical input or maybe it's the xBox optical output that's not supporting 5.1.
post #20133 of 20134 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I have my optical going from TV to receiver. HDMI from Xbox to TV.

post #20134 of 20134 Old Today, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11147 Post(s)
Liked: 5142
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 3312 and just purchased the Xbox One S for its UHD optical drive. The Xbox is connected to my 4K TV (HDMI) and the 3312 (S/PDIF). I am only getting 2 channel audio. Are there any options available to get 5.1

I've heard if you switch inputs to another then back to the HDMI then it starts going 5.1.

Thanks for the suggestion tcat but no go.

Just to clarify... from the Xbox, hdmi goes to the TV and also from the Xbox, optical goes to Receiver.

Reading the S/PDIF specs on Wikipedia I see that...
"S/PDIF is based on the AES3 interconnect standard.[1] S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless formats (such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) that require greater bandwidth..."

So I tried with a DVD that gave the option to choose DTS 5.1 but this didn't work either, Receiver still showing PCM 2.0 as input.

Does anyone know if the receiver is capable of decoding 5.1 via its optical input or maybe it's the xBox optical output that's not supporting 5.1.

The source device must be set to "bitstream" in order to pass DD/DTS 5.1 to the AVR which an indeed decode it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page