The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading most of this topic, I left it unplugged for 8 hours, and when I returned, the same problem.

I also tried resetting the network (doesn't work). I tried changing cables, using a different port on the TV, etc. Al to no avail - the unit is bricked, and the best DENON can do for me is to tell me to send it back.

And no, I didn't get around to opening the other one (a 2312) because it was planned to go to another location.

Thankfully I bought from Amazon...no hassle returns for defective product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2 receivers not working? Are you sure it's not an ID-10-T Error? I had to. only kidding. I have heard something floating around about a router setting that may fix this problem. Something to do with configuring the ip address but I'm still digging up info... Edit sorry, posted before I saw your last reply. Hope it all works out!
post #2253 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminyard View Post

I don't have a Samsung TV (I have a Vizio), but when I tried using HDMI-CEC to provide audio to the AVR for Netflix, the Receiver defaulted to "TV" input whenever the TV was turned on.

Important - thank you...so this issue is not only Samsung TV-related.

EDIT: Oops, I misread your post. Sorry - I thought you meant standby. Boy - is my face RED!
post #2254 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
^^
When HDMI-CEC is set to ON on ANY brand of TV, the AVR will default to "TV" when first turned ON (which is what Sminyard is referring to). This has been the case for several years now. The issue that has been discussed in this thread is whether the AVR defaults to TV even when it's in Standby mode. We know Samsung (Anynet+) will do this and Panasonic (VierraLink) will not.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2255 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM

For me (and my 1912) it actually want deeper. If the TV and the AVR were both on, my AVR was "hijacked", and I couldn't change inputs from TV.
post #2256 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I have heard something floating around about a router setting that may fix this problem. Something to do with configuring the ip address but I'm still digging up info... Edit sorry, posted before I saw your last reply. Hope it all works out!

Interesting about the router - I had actually planned to set the IP address by hand, but I forgot and left it on DHCP. I was having intermittent "Please Wait...Connecting" issues before I updated the firmware, and I was hoping that the new firmware would fix those.

After I cooled down a bit, Amazon customer service made it easy to order a replacement, so I've decided to give DENON a 2nd chance. I'll install a new network cable and a new switch along with the replacement 3312, and this time I will set the IP parameters by hand. Hopefully things will go better the 2nd time around.

I'd be interested to know how the upgrade process has gone for other 3312 owners...
post #2257 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANdood View Post

Interesting about the router - I had actually planned to set the IP address by hand, but I forgot and left it on DHCP. I was having intermittent "Please Wait...Connecting" issues before I updated the firmware, and I was hoping that the new firmware would fix those.

After I cooled down a bit, Amazon customer service made it easy to order a replacement, so I've decided to give DENON a 2nd chance. I'll install a new network cable and a new switch along with the replacement 3312, and this time I will set the IP parameters by hand. Hopefully things will go better the 2nd time around.

I'd be interested to know how the upgrade process has gone for other 3312 owners...

I have my 3312 connected to a wireless bridge, and a 5 port switch. Initially set it up with DHCP, but have since changed to a manual IP address. When the 3312 connected, within minutes it told me there was an update available. I let it do its thing. Took about 30 minutes total, download and updated the firmware. Have not seen any problems at all with network functions. Internet radio works fine as does airplay. The one problem I continue to have is the Denon remote control app. It worked before the firmware update but since then it will not connect. I have deleted the app and re-installed, but no go. Remote control app tries to connect, but instantly says "connection failed, check settings" and the only choice is EXIT.
post #2258 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

^^

Ohh---bad side effect. Have you tried any of the other remote control apps and/or the web interface (which seems to only work with Explorer and not Firefox, at least on my Windows 7 PC)?
post #2259 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Have you tried it with pc speakers? I found Crysis2 to be quite buggy. I have found in some scripted scenes where you can still move but a character is talking, I also lose audio in the rear channels when panning and I am using a pc 5.1 set up.

yea it worked perfectly with my Logitech G51 set..i actually would toy around and spin in circles just to hear the voice spin around the room.

i do have this "Blue ripple Rapture 3D" software on here...installed by Dirt 3. I dont know if it has taken over as the primary sound software (it should only do so for Dirt 3) but in its config i cant select any kind of speaker setup other than the default stereo. I googled it and there are many others with this problem.
post #2260 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:

^^

Ohh---bad side effect. Have you tried any of the other remote control apps and/or the web interface (which seems to only work with Explorer and not Firefox, at least on my Windows 7 PC)?

haven't tried any other apps for the Denon, but web interface works fine, using Safari (on a Mac). Other components can be controlled via apps on an iPad, Samsung UN55C800 and Xfinity app for Comcast cable. Early post in this forum about known issues does mention a problem with the Denon app, so I am hoping an update will fix it.
post #2261 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Got the regular 1/8" mono cable and the 12v trigger now works on my 2312CI, never use an attenuating cable as I have learned.

HOWEVER, the 12v trigger feature does not work when Game 2 and Tuner input are selected. I am using the trigger to turn on the switched and timed outlets on my power center. For every other input the 12v trigger works and turns on the switched/timed outlets, but when you select either Game 2 or Tuner, they shut off. I did confirm in the Denon menu that Trigger Out is selected as ON for every setting. Yet another bug in this less than stellar unit?
post #2262 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Why would you do this? Just run everything HDMI and use a HDMI-DVI cable. (I own a Mits 55813)

Just because of a possible handshake issue
post #2263 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Had no problems with the update and my 3312. Took around 30 to 40 minutes as I remember but worked first time.
post #2264 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:

^^

On a Mac the web interface works for me with both Safari and Firefox EXECPT for the Save and Load functions.
To use Save and Load I had to use Internet Explorer in Windows XP on my MAC. XP and Firefox would not work for Save and Load. The XP was through Parallels, I didn't try XP from Bootcamp.
post #2265 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM

I was able to test a few more sources and found that the picture degradation by the 2312 is also present when watching Directv. Please see the attached photos where picture #11 with Video Convert ON clearly shows a green line that is produced in between the yellow and blue border portion of the Directv menu. The end of the word "seconds" also seems to have some random color blurs as opposed to photo #12 which has Video Convert OFF. #12 also does not produce the green line.

I have been trying to get an example of this occurring during regular viewing and not just in the menus, but clearly the Denon 2312 and most likely 3312 severely degrade the picture by adding weird colored ghosting to the picture.

The Boxee Box shows the problem more predominately compared to the Direct TV example, but since most probably don't have a Boxee Box I figure there has to be some that have Directv with either a 2312 or 3312 that can see if theirs does the same thing. If there is anyone out there that can check please let me know your results.

Let me make sure I have it set up correctly as well: you should just be able to plug your sources in via HDMI, then one HDMI to the TV and everything should work correctly right out of the box right? This would be with Video Convert on, or should I have it off for all of the HDMI sources?
LL
LL
post #2266 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanndogg View Post

I was able to test a few more sources and found that the picture degradation by the 2312 is also present when watching Directv. Please see the attached photos where picture #11 with Video Convert ON clearly shows a green line that is produced in between the yellow and blue border portion of the Directv menu. The end of the word "seconds" also seems to have some random color blurs as opposed to photo #12 which has Video Convert OFF. #12 also does not produce the green line.

I have been trying to get an example of this occurring during regular viewing and not just in the menus, but clearly the Denon 2312 and most likely 3312 severely degrade the picture by adding weird colored ghosting to the picture.

The Boxee Box shows the problem more predominately compared to the Direct TV example, but since most probably don't have a Boxee Box I figure there has to be some that have Directv with either a 2312 or 3312 that can see if theirs does the same thing. If there is anyone out there that can check please let me know your results.

Let me make sure I have it set up correctly as well: you should just be able to plug your sources in via HDMI, then one HDMI to the TV and everything should work correctly right out of the box right? This would be with Video Convert on, or should I have it off for all of the HDMI sources?

Help me...what resolution is the video upconverting from to? - 720p>1080p?

It could be the AD chip is worse than your tv and not actual degradation per se.
post #2267 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Help me...what resolution is the video upconverting from to? - 720p>1080p?

It could be the AD chip is worse than your tv and not actual degradation per se.

That's just it, it's not - or shouldn't be converting to anything. With the Boxee Box (I have it hooked up to HDMI 2 [DVD]) it is out putting 1080p, goes through the Denon and hits the TV at 1080p. The Denon settings are all stock: Video Convert - On, i/p Scaler - Analog, Resolution - Auto, Progressive - Auto, Aspect - Full.

The Directv is outputting 1080i and hits the Denon at HDMI 3 (Sat/Cbl) and is output as 1080i. Again, stock settings: Video Convert - On, i/p scaler - off.

It is my impression that even though Video Convert is "on" if you don't specify a different resolution to convert your signal too, it will just pass it through which is what appears to be happening for me. BUT, it is obviously doing something to the video.

I could just turn Video Convert off- but then the menu is no longer overlayed on your source. It blacks out the source and displays the Denon menu as 480i. I can't believe they would intend for it to work like that.

In addition, I have one component source (Wii) which I haven't tested yet, that I would assume will also get molested by the poor quality Video Convert. In that case I have no option but to leave video convert on, because with it off, I will get no signal through HDMI (as the 2312 won't convert the component in to HDMI out).
post #2268 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You have the PS3 setup to send multi channel audo to the AVR, but the TV may only be able to accept stereo 2.0 so the AVR may be passing just the front L/R channels. If you want to use the PS3 with the AVR in Standby, set the PS3 to pass a Stereo signal so the surrounds get mixed into it.

It didn't work. Is anyone else experiencing this problem??
post #2269 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Got the regular 1/8" mono cable and the 12v trigger now works on my 2312CI, never use an attenuating cable as I have learned.

HOWEVER, the 12v trigger feature does not work when Game 2 and Tuner input are selected. I am using the trigger to turn on the switched and timed outlets on my power center. For every other input the 12v trigger works and turns on the switched/timed outlets, but when you select either Game 2 or Tuner, they shut off. I did confirm in the Denon menu that Trigger Out is selected as ON for every setting. Yet another bug in this less than stellar unit?

The triggers are assignable by input. Go into manual setup > option setup
post #2270 of 19112 Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyclave View Post

The triggers are assignable by input. Go into manual setup > option setup

Correct, I have every Trigger Out source set to "On." Game 2 and Tuner still do not activate it.
post #2271 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have had my 3312 for a few weeks now with no issues (knock on wood) but I do see a bunch of unhappy folks here which is very discouraging as I assumed Denon would put out yet another lineup of stellar units this year but maybe not?

My question is: It seems some are having issues with the firmware update and thereafter, has anyone just ignored the update message and NOT updated their firmware? I have yet to check "yes" to update as the comments here have deterred me from doing so. With this in mind I am on the fence on whether to update or not......

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #2272 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I have had my 3312 for a few weeks now with no issues (knock on wood) but I do see a bunch of unhappy folks here which is very discouraging as I assumed Denon would put out yet another lineup of stellar units this year but maybe not?

My question is: It seems some are having issues with the firmware update and thereafter, has anyone just ignored the update message and NOT updated their firmware? I have yet to check "yes" to update as the comments here have deterred me from doing so. With this in mind I am on the fence on whether to update or not......

It's important to note that you will rarely hear from folks when there is absolutely nothing going wrong as most come here to ask setup questions or to complain about an issue they are having. Since the firmware updates were released, only about 6 owners have mentioned having done the update (although surely many others have and just not mentioned it as it was successful) and the only one having any issues is sandood. So definitely go ahead and do the update.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #2273 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Have you contacted Denon yet to describe your video issue? You might also want to let them know about the trigger issue to determine if it is for some reason by design.

post #2274 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta View Post

I would like to add that I think that I discovered one small bug on my 2112CI.

User Manual (pg. 93) states that I can change languages for Web Control Interface. When I select Portuguese-Brazil, nothing happens and the Web Control interface, since it is still in English. I turned off my computer and tried again. No success at all.

This is not a big problem, since I am able to read in English, but I am not sure that this command is working like it should. Or am I missing something? Or this command is only to let the receiver know what language is your computer using?

Great question. Perhaps you could email Denon tech support for the answer and then post back here with their response?

post #2275 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was recently given the 1312.

While on the "comparison" section of Denon's site, I noted the following:

Am I reading this correctly? Does this seriously NOT output 1080p to my TV? SURELY I'm misinterpreting this. Most HDMI switchers can at least accomplish that.

Again, this was a gift, but I've not currently swapped out my old receiver (Sony STR-DE995). The big advantage I would have with the Denon would be the ability to have the new HD sound formats with Blu Ray playback (and, of course HDMI switching).
post #2276 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Performed update last Sunday. Have used HD radio,Airplay,Internet radio, Iphone via usb. Haven't noticed any issues yet. #fingerscrossed
edit: I did run the Audyssey setup and hated it. May dig in Audyssey thread and try it again.
post #2277 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

I was recently given the 1312.

While on the "comparison" section of Denon's site, I noted the following:

Am I reading this correctly? Does this seriously NOT output 1080p to my TV? SURELY I'm misinterpreting this. Most HDMI switchers can at least accomplish that.

The 1312 does not include a video chip so it cannot "upscale" video to 1080p; rather it can only pass what it receives. So if you pass 1080p to it, it will then pass through to the TV as 1080p. Please review the first 6 posts in this thread for more information.

post #2278 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 AM
585-645-1006

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly
and your question may already be answered there. If you reviewed them prior to purchasing,
then please review again both prior to setup and after setup. Thanks.

post #2279 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 1312 does not include a video chip so it cannot "upscale" video to 1080p; rather it can only pass what it receives. So if you pass 1080p to it, it will then pass through to the TV as 1080p. Please review the first 6 posts in this thread for more information.

I am sorry. I just did what newbs do and jumped in without reading the entire thread. I just panicked and was about to return the receiver to the friend so he could get his money back. I do appreciate your prompt reply as well as your work on this thread.
post #2280 of 19112 Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Unless you plan on sticking the 1312 in the kids room, you would be much better served selling it and getting a 1612 instead which would include Audyssey MultEQ.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page