post #2941 of 19202 Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post
No, that is in reference to the number of mic readings you can take when you run your Audyssey setup -- 8 for MultiEQ XT vs. 6 for MultiEQ. [Specifically, it's advice for setting up the subwoofer -- to take just one reading until you get the sub dialed in and not maxed out at -12dB. Once you get a good sub reading, then you run the full set of 6 or 8 Audyssey readings.]
Ok thx for the clarification. So I am still at a loss then as to why the XT is not illuminated. All references to the indicator light on the Denon website and the owner's manual for the 172 show the XT illuminated. There must be a specific reason why it's not on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 19202 Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush224 View Post
Hello,
I am setting up my Denon 1912 with a 5.1 system from B&W. I have done the audyssey mic and I get sounds out of all the speakers including the sub.

Now here is my problem, I have tried the Dave Matthews bluray (radiocity) and it should be playing in trueHD however for some reason the receiver isn't cooperating. I noticed it that the sub is not playing at all. I also have this issue with other high def programing. During the test the sub works fine.

It is connected with HDMI. Under the info section in the menu it says the audio is in 2/0/.0 I cycle through the different options when I hit MUSIC and MOVIE buttons on the remote but the only options I get are Dolby IIPx, NEO 6, and things like virtual. I have tried putting it into source direct (I think I did that correctly) but nada. I CAN get sound from all the speakers with the dolby and neo settings but I am looking for trueHD but according to the manual the settings I get are given to me because the receiver is only seeing 2.0 setup? Is that right?

Anyone have an idea what setting (maybe even an AUTO) I am missing on the receiver that is not allowing 5.1 to come through? I remember on an old integra 9.8 it automatically detected if trueHD was playing and put it in that mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
This is telling you that the BDP is only sending a stereo 2.0 signal. Select the proper audio track on the BD and set the BDP to "bitstream" and secondary audio to OFF (if that setting exists) and you should be good to go.
Ok, I changed the PS3 setting from PCM to bitstream but still I am not getting TrueHD to show up on the receiver NOR am I getting 5.1. The info still says 2.0. I do not see any setting on the disc itself.

I also can not get 5.1 to fire when watching HD movies on HBO/Cinemax via directtv.

I have to be missing something but for the life of me, I can't find anything pertinent in the receiver menus.

Any ideas?
post #2943 of 19202 Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandy1000rl View Post
Let me know how this works out for you. I'm going to try the same thing with a Sunfire receiver, in my case to provide better 4 ohm support than my 3312 can provide.

Another thought to consider: because 5.1/7.1 analog inputs are generally designed to take a fixed line level input from a blu ray player (vs. the variable line level the denon preouts will provide), first setting the Denon to a fixed volume (ideally, just shy of clipping the preouts), then only using the volume control on the external receiver acting as the amp may work better overall from a signal-to-noise ratio perspective. Of course this method works if all speakers are connected to the secondary receiver only.

I agree though, it's difficult to part with a older receiver that has an awesome amp section just because it's preamp section is out of date, so any creative method of repurposing it is definitely worth the experimentation.
Well I finally got it worked out. I think it had something to do with accidentaly selecting a second zone setting or something when playing around with the amp assignment settings.

For those people who have questioned the wisdom of using an old Sony amp rated similar to the Denon 3312, there is significant difference with the fronts now running through the sony vs denon.

Before when I had all running via the 3312, the max comfort level before I worried about something rattling loose in the house or waking up the neighbors was 0db. Now running through the sony set on 3/4 volume, the max comfort level is -10db on the Denon volume level.

I first got things working right while running fronts through an old NAD 150 watt/chan. amp. that is supposed to be a beast, but when I switched out for the Sony, the sony on 3/4 was still louder than the NAD on max.

Anyway glad to now have all the new bells and whistles of the new Denon but still enjoy that brut strength of that old 60lb Sony.
post #2944 of 19202 Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:

I have to be missing something but for the life of me, I can't find anything pertinent in the receiver menus.

you are looking in the wrong place, it has nothing to do with the receiver. All it can do is play what you give it, and this:

Quote:

The info still says 2.0. I do not see any setting on the disc itself.

I also can not get 5.1 to fire when watching HD movies on HBO/Cinemax via directtv.

... means your sources are not configured correctly.

If the receiver reports 2.0 input, that's what it is getting. It can't control what the sources send, that's your job keep at it! it's a setting on your sources that's off.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2945 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I think I am stuck in never never land. I used the load function tp load my seting back after a firmware update on a 2112ci. I am looking at the red button and the loading screen is 20 minutes on. Looks like time to pull the plug. God only knows what will happen then, '
the firmare downloaded fine. widh me luck!

Just another blank signature.
post #2946 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Positive. I had to move my sub last night so reran Audyssey, saved the file and called 'er a night. Woke up to the FW update right away. I will contact Denon. Thanks!

I would check your SAVEd file then to confirm the AVR is actually saving anything as in some cases a few of last year's owners indicated it was filled with zereos.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2947 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdr1 View Post

Also, I now noticed that when I turn off the 3312, the green light around the on/off button just goes out. It does not change to red like it used to.

The "red light" only appears if you have HDMI Control or Network Standby set to ON (post #3, item 2h).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #2948 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

The ABT video chip only applies to upconverting analog signals, right? It wouldn't affect any 1080p input or 720p input from an HDMI source, correct?

Correct, although 720p would still be deinterlaced/upscaled to 1080p, that particular chip really only works on SD signals, although it may do no better than your BDP or TV itself.

post #2949 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectCr View Post

Ok thx for the clarification. So I am still at a loss then as to why the XT is not illuminated. All references to the indicator light on the Denon website and the owner's manual for the 172 show the XT illuminated. There must be a specific reason why it's not on.

Could just be the light is out .... as XT is installed, it would be enabled once you completed AUTO SETUP.

post #2950 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I think I am stuck in never never land. I used the load function tp load my seting back after a firmware update on a 2112ci. I am looking at the red button and the loading screen is 20 minutes on. Looks like time to pull the plug. God only knows what will happen then, '
the firmare downloaded fine. widh me luck!

Please report back with your experience as it is important to note whether this completes successfully or not.

post #2951 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 AM

Liked: 11
Ever since the firmware update Airplay isn't working.

When I open iTunes I no longer "see" my 3312 in the AirPlay icon at the bottom right corner of iTunes.

Have others experienced this issue or do you have any suggestions?

Network standby is set to on and I have't changed any settings since AirPlay was working.

George
post #2952 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try resetting your router and at the same time unplugging the AVR for a few minutes.

post #2953 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:

^^
Try resetting your router and at the same time unplugging the AVR for a few minutes.

JDSmoothie

THANKS!

That did it.

George
post #2954 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Could just be the light is out .... as XT is installed, it would be enabled once you completed AUTO SETUP.

Could it be that I didn't run the test 8 times, only once during Auto-Setup? I'll try that today otherwise I am going to return it and get another.
post #2955 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 AM
585-645-1006

Not likely as only one position is required to save the settings although you should always run AUTO SETUP the max number of positions 6 (MultEQ) or 8 (MultEQ XT) unless just testing the sub in different locations or volume levels in which case you need only run a single position each time until you're satisfied with the sub trim and then run all remaining positions.

post #2956 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not likely .... although regardless you should always run AUTO SETUP the max number of positions unless just testing the sub in different locations or volume levels.

Do you have the 1712? I know it just came out but I'd be interested to know if other 1712 owners are seeing the XT illuminate. Thanks!
post #2957 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 AM
585-645-1006

No I do not .. however, perhaps other 1712 owners can chime in. Either that or you can use the Search This Thread button and identify other 1712 owners and send them a PM.

post #2958 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

My wife's parents are staying with us to help take care of our 5-month old while we get ready to move to a new house. (They are terrific people, not the stereotypical in-laws at all.)

Last night, my mother-in-law comes in the living room and asks if she can turn down the TV and I say "sure!" She picks up the Denon remote, takes a moment to find the volume buttons, then tries to turn it down. It does nothing for a moment then slams the volume all the way down. She apologizes and tries to turn it back up, and ends up turning it up louder than it originally was because she left her finger on the button a fraction of a second too long. She does this undershoot/overshoot thing a couple more times before giving up on trying to hold the button down, and tapping (in 0.5dB increments) until she gets it to a point she's happy with.

This really could be the one thing that forces me to jump the Denon ship.
post #2959 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You have a number of different options available to you ...

(a) Set the Denon to come on at specific level (ie. normal TV viewing volume) so no volume adjustment is required,

(b) Set the Volume Limit to -20db.

(c) During the in-laws visit, connect the cable/sat box directly to the TV with optical to the AVR so they don't have to turn the AVR on at all.

post #2960 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No I do not .. however, perhaps other 1712 owners can chime in. Either that or you can use the Search This Thread button and identify other 1712 owners and send them a PM.

Well, I just did the auto-setup again (8 times!) and the XT still won't come on. I did a Micro Processor reset, and all of the lights WORKS (they all blinked while resetting). Upon redoing the auto setup, the XT will still not illuminate! I did get an out of phase error on the Surround Left speaker. Could this cause it? I am beginning to wonder if the MultEQ XT is enabled. The light works, but something is stopping the receiver from enabling the indicator light.
post #2961 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

For those people who have questioned the wisdom of using an old Sony amp rated similar to the Denon 3312, there is significant difference with the fronts now running through the sony vs denon.

Before when I had all running via the 3312, the max comfort level before I worried about something rattling loose in the house or waking up the neighbors was 0db. Now running through the sony set on 3/4 volume, the max comfort level is -10db on the Denon volume level.

I first got things working right while running fronts through an old NAD 150 watt/chan. amp. that is supposed to be a beast, but when I switched out for the Sony, the sony on 3/4 was still louder than the NAD on max.

You cannot directly relate one mfr's volume scale to another as they may be different (eg. older receivers that will max out at maybe 1/4 of the way). Denon uses a logarithmic scale which requires the volume dial being turned almost 2/3 of the way for average level volume. Also, Denon AVRs generally rate much closer to their marketing specs (80%, 3311CI bench tests @100W into 5CH) then do other brands like Sony (~50%). Of course you gain headroom in the 3312 using the Sony receiver, however, in reality the surrounds require very little power. Certainly no reason not to use old equipment if it's available, but not really required with 8Ω moderately efficient speakers.

A Zone 2 setting on the AVR should not have had any impact on the preout jacks. If you can recreate the issue please report back as there may be a bug in the system. Thanks.

post #2962 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectCr View Post

Well, I just did the auto-setup again (8 times!) and the XT still won't come on. I did a Micro Processor reset, and all of the lights WORKS (they all blinked while resetting). Upon redoing the auto setup, the XT will still not illuminate! I did get an out of phase error on the Surround Left speaker. Could this cause it? I am beginning to wonder if the MultEQ XT is enabled. The light works, but something is stopping the receiver from enabling the indicator light.

Well I fixed the out of phase error, still not XT illuminated. The light works I know that. Might have a faulty unit. Will exchange today. If the next 1712 does it, then it could be a firmware issue.
post #2963 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:

Well I finally got it worked out. I think it had something to do with accidentaly selecting a second zone setting or something when playing around with the amp assignment settings.

Anyway glad to now have all the new bells and whistles of the new Denon but still enjoy that brut strength of that old 60lb Sony.

Great to hear. So did you do just left, right, and center thru the Sony or all channels? Also, when you turn the Denon volume down low, leaving the Sony receiver fixed at 3/4 position, do you hear any low level hiss or other noise coming from your speakers?

When doing MultiEQ setup, did your front 3 speakers get trimmed way back relative to the others? Finally, is the overall system volume objectively louder at the point where the speakers begin to clip/sound harsh compared to the Denon only setup? Exactly where this happens on the physical volume control isn't as important to me but more interested that you achieved an additional 1-2 db overall system volume before clipping, or that it "sounds better/less distorted" at louder volumes vs the denon only setup due to the additional headroom.

Most folks may not hear a 1-2 db increase in system volume but some probably can hear a reduction in distortion at higher volumes that the additional headroom provides, which is really the driving force for the external amplification crowd. We don't want more volume, we want a cleaner high volume. :-)
post #2964 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Well .. just to confirm the front height setup is not somehow causing the issue, disconnect them from the AVR speaker posts and reset AMP ASSIGN back to Zone 2 and do the AUTO SETUP again for 1 position only to see if you get better sub trim results.

I was changing the "Volume Speaker" knob, not the "Volume Line" knob. Apparently, the "volume speaker" knob does not change anything when you have the sub hooked up through the line sub cable.
post #2965 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Ok, I changed the PS3 setting from PCM to bitstream but still I am not getting TrueHD to show up on the receiver NOR am I getting 5.1. The info still says 2.0. I do not see any setting on the disc itself.

Any ideas?

Not sure about 5.1 in but you can always output 5.1 using Multi Ch Stereo just hit the simulation button on your remote till it comes up MCS. I sometimes use this when 5.1 input and usually during 2.0 input except for music but even then I find it quite pleasing.
post #2966 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

Any ideas?

Make sure secondary audio isn't on?

In search of video bliss...
post #2967 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymd74 View Post

Wow, really. First post asking a question looking for help and I get this. Thanks for nothing. It worked as of two days ago so I wouldn't call that confirmed. It was working while passing through the AVR so maybe you should have asked for clarification be being a jerk.

No offense to anyone else here, just my opinion from my time and experience on the forum.

jdsmoothie is one of the two smartest guys on here that I know of, other being batpig. I don't know them personally but I trust them more than anyone at denon or best buy or any place like that. They don't have to do what they do, like help everyone here. They could spend their time doing other things but they seem to enjoy helping others here and I greatly appreciate it jdsmoothie and batpig! I'm sure I speak for a lot of others here too. Just want to make sure you know that we all appreciate the help from everyone here.

Graymd74...just some advice...show some respect and courtesy. No one here HAS to help you or anyone. Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted.
post #2968 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Audio quality wise (as the 1912 doesn't have a video chip whereas the 791 does) .. they're both the same as they both use Audyssey MultEQ. But feature wise, the 1912 stands out as it not only uses a GUI that can overlay 2D video but also uses networking and Airplay which will allow you to control the AVR with a smart phone from anywhere in the house that has access to your home network. Although if money is not the issue, spring for the next model up, 2112CI which offers a better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as well as a 3rd year of warranty.

I have the 1912 but had the 791. I'll just say I miss the 791. The video chip is something I miss. To me, the network feature isn't worth the loss if the video chip.
post #2969 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

No offense to anyone else here, just my opinion from my time and experience on the forum.

jdsmoothie is one of the two smartest guys on here that I know of, other being batpig. I don't know them personally but I trust them more than anyone at denon or best buy or any place like that. They don't have to do what they do, like help everyone here. They could spend their time doing other things but they seem to enjoy helping others here and I greatly appreciate it jdsmoothie and batpig! I'm sure I speak for a lot of others here too. Just want to make sure you know that we all appreciate the help from everyone here.

Graymd74...just some advice...show some respect and courtesy. No one here HAS to help you or anyone. Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted.

I got off on the wrong foot with jdsmoothie and others i offended with my post out of frustration and for that I apologize. Will be more respectful in the future.
post #2970 of 19202 Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 AM

I can't figure out why the Denon iOS application works about 1/2 the time. When it works, it works great. Half the time I try to connect (Yes, network standby is ON) from my iphone I get a 'connection failed' message.

My wireless router is a bit older - Linksys WRT54GS. I haven't downloaded any firmware upgrades for the router. The Denon app is the latest (2.32). Resetting the receiver has not made it any better.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need a new router?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page