AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#13,421 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConBroMitch  /t/1415352/no-sound-in-left-speaker-denon-1912/0_50#post_22126552

hey all.

Just plugged my 1912 into a new tv (temporarily) and used a optical cable. Now i don't get sound out of my left speaker!

My left speaker works when I listen on every other input, but when I use the Tv button and Multi channel sound mode there is no sound from the left side.

in addition, when I change the sound mode to virtual, rock arena and matrix the left side works. but not for any other mode.

I think i explained that right...

Any ideas?

Do a soft reset (ie. unplug the AVR for 10 minutes) and see if that resolves the issue, otherwise a microprocessor reset would be in order (p. 125).

#13,422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13400_50#post_22132792

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13440#post_22132541

Use the link in the signature area at the bottom of my post to read reports about professional calibrations. The reports are organized by type of display, model groups, calibrators AVS user names.

I think the value of a professional calibration depends on your display and your personal taste. Not all displays have the controls to make a full calibration worthwhile.

Hmm - the link for the HW30 no longer has any images
Someone must have deleted them.
Quote:
I contacted him about doing my HW30 and the 3312CI that was delivered to me today!
Him being Chad B?

#13,423 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13380#post_22129512

All of what JD and ccotenj said. However, if you are absolutely hung up on the idea of multiple inputs to your TV, then do this:

Cable Box. HDMI directly to TV, optical/coax audio from cable box directly to receiver. This way, you aren't losing picture OR audio capabilities.

BluRay Player. HDMI to 3312CI, HDMI from Output 2 to TV input 2 (or whatever bluray input you want)

HTPC. HDMI to 3312CI. HDMI from Output 1 (3312CI) to same TV, but input 1.

That's really your only option.

I have an update on this. I just got off the phone with a Denon representative who said I can actually keep all inputs into my TV as long as I take the ARC HDMI input that is on my TV and connect that to the receiver. Then I set the receiver to TV and I can still get all the possible listening formats, DTS....etc.!!!!

This only works with TV's that have ARC capabilities...seems like I might be in luck.

This is good news!

#13,425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13400_50#post_22133397

I have an update on this. I just got off the phone with a Denon representative who said I can actually keep all inputs into my TV as long as I take the ARC HDMI input that is on my TV and connect that to the receiver. Then I set the receiver to TV and I can still get all the possible listening formats, DTS....etc.!!!!

This only works with TV's that have ARC capabilities...seems like I might be in luck.

This is good news!

Although there are a few TV models that can indeed pass DTS 5.1, likely > 98% cannot. And to add to that many models only pass PCM 2.0 over the HDMI (ARC) connection. So yes, what the Denon rep suggested will work as long as you're satisfied with only passing stereo PCM 2.0 to the AVR and then having the AVR simulate 5.1 using the DD PLII mode, otherwise if you want the true DD/DTS 5.1 and most especially the HD DD/DTS audio, you'll need to connect the source audio directly to the AVR.

#13,426 ·
FYI, I just thought I'd pass this along.

Here's a Harmony start up sequence that seems to be working well to resove an issue with improper resolution (1064x768) on loading Windows Media Center with an HTPC:

This worked at least 10 times successivelly and again after a 6 hour shutdown. I will give it further testing

What this does is give time for HDMI sync to occur with a couple 5 second remote pauses and closes WMC (alt F4) and then loads it again in LiveTV. This replicates what I've been doing manually, (although I minimize/maximize WMC and this closes it and opens it. This loads WMC in 1080x1920. This does, however, result in about 30 seconds to start up but that isn't much longer than what Uverse used to take to go live and Charter with a CableCARD tuner is much cheaper and a better solution. Now I'm down to two HDMI inputs including the bearly used Blu-ray player.

#13,427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13440#post_22133476

Although there are a few TV models that can indeed pass DTS 5.1, likely > 98% cannot. And to add to that many models only pass PCM 2.0 over the HDMI (ARC) connection. So yes, what the Denon rep suggested will work as long as you're satisfied with only passing stereo PCM 2.0 to the AVR and then having the AVR simulate 5.1 using the DD PLII mode, otherwise if you want the true DD/DTS 5.1 and most especially the HD DD/DTS audio, you'll need to connect the source audio directly to the AVR.

Okay gotcha. Thank you for the clarification! In the end I will probably look into passing everything to the AVR and then only one connection going to the TV.

Thanks,

TVMan1414

#13,428 ·
there's nothing inherently wrong with multiple connections to the TV (especially if you have a universal remote that can handle all the input switching for you) but there's no sense optimizing the system for video performance and then as a consequence hurting the audio performance. For example, if you connect your Blu-ray player straight to the TV and use ARC or an optical cable to pass the audio, you will miss out on the hi-rez Blu-ray tracks (DTS-MASTER etc).

so what you should do is prioritize.... which sources are most important for audio? anything that can send hi-rez audio (Blu-ray player, PS3, etc) needs to go HDMI to the AVR. Those "good HDMI" sources can then switch through the receiver to the HDMI input on the TV that is properly calibrated for critical movie viewing. Then, if you have other video sources for which you want to maintain a separate video calibration, you can run those to the TV and use separate digital audio cables or ARC to pass the audio back. Losing HDMI audio isn't a big deal with a cable box, but it IS for your Blu-ray player, so prioritize accordingly.

with a logical approach you should end up with most devices switched through HDMI and maybe a couple of other separate video connections straight to the TV for a couple of sources that you really want a separate calibration for. Honestly, most HDMI sources should not need separate calibrations anyway unless you have a specific focus (e.g. a "dark room" setting for critical movies and a "bright room" setting for watching cable TV with the lights on).

#13,429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13400_50#post_22133397

I just got off the phone with a Denon representative who said I can actually keep all inputs into my TV as long as I take the ARC HDMI input that is on my TV and connect that to the receiver. Then I set the receiver to TV and I can still get all the possible listening formats, DTS....etc.!!!!

This is good news!
I think that it's possible that you will get only stereo lossy audio from any external device that's connected directly to your TV.

#13,432 ·
I'm going to help a friend set up his new 1612 tomorrow. I have a 1611. Will there be any difference when I set up Audyssey?

#13,433 ·
disgusting price.....Go Amazonians!!!!!!

$550 is kinda highway robbery on that thing....

I would take th filet of the 3312CI over the sirloin of the 3313CI if i were buying today.

but I have already done this deed. with the 3312CI, and the 4311CI.

Run dont walk, this deal is on life support!!!

#13,435 ·
I was just given the AVR-1312 as an early father's day gift

Yeah, I know it's bottom-end of the Denon spectrum, but should be just fine for my needs

However I am experiencing an issue with my PC Video:

I have my PC (with NVIDIA GTX285 video card) connected via DVI - HDMI dongle -> 4' HDMI cable -> BD input on the receiver.

When I select the BD input, my TV screen remains black with [NO SIGNAL] box in the corner, the PC desktop cannot be seen.

If I select SAT/CBL input, I can watch TV & then if I select the BD input my PC desktop is now viewable.

This process works every time; almost as if the receiver needs a "boost" in signal in order to "jump-start" it.

I have tried moving my PC to another input; DVD for example & it operates exactly the same....that is to say DOES NOT OPERATE.

Should I try a longer or shorter HDMI cable, a better quality cable, modify some PC settings, change Denon settings?

I would appreciate your input & thanks in advance.

#13,436 ·
I noticed this deal and it looks tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle in replacing my current receiver so I need your help.

I have an Onkyo 805 connected to a 6.1 set up: Infinity TS1200 home theater.

I use a PS3 for my bluray/games.

Does it make sense for me to jump from the 805 to this Denon? I keep hearing the 805 is one of the best receivers ever made but I was never thrilled with the actual sound quality.

How much could I sell the 805 for if I decide to go ahead?

Thanks for any advice.

#13,437 ·
Does anyone here know if this receiver will run a 9.1 setup and a second zone without the use of an external amp?

Currently I have an Onkyo receiver that is great, however it will only support 7.1 with a second zone on the receiver. In order to get 9.1, I would have to use an external amp for the zone 2 speakers.

#13,438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13440#post_22134780

I noticed this deal and it looks tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle in replacing my current receiver so I need your help.

I have an Onkyo 805 connected to a 6.1 set up: Infinity TS1200 home theater.

I use a PS3 for my bluray/games.

Does it make sense for me to jump from the 805 to this Denon? I keep hearing the 805 is one of the best receivers ever made but I was never thrilled with the actual sound quality.

How much could I sell the 805 for if I decide to go ahead?

Thanks for any advice.

I'd also be interested to hear the answer to this. My 805 has crapped out twice (bad HDMI board). I had it fixed the first time but am being told it will be $250-$300 to fix this time. Wondering if I should step up to this Denon. I'm not super familiar with Denon and I wasn't with Onkyo either but that seemed to work out. What are the major differences between the two? WOuld the 3312 be an upgrade over the 805? Worth an extra $250?

Edit: I should also mention I will be using a 6.1 setup as I don't have 7 speakers or an extra sub. Will the 3312 still work?

#13,439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13450_50#post_22134714

I'm going to help a friend set up his new 1612 tomorrow. I have a 1611. Will there be any difference when I set up Audyssey?

The setup should be easier as the 1612 includes a "Setup Wizard" and nice GUI that displays over 2D video sources which will walk you through the whole setup process. Audyssey setup will be the same. If you haven't already, take some time to review the Audyssey 101 Guide linked in my sig.

#13,440 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by englee1  /t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/13450_50#post_22134748

I was just given the AVR-1312 as an early father's day gift

Yeah, I know it's bottom-end of the Denon spectrum, but should be just fine for my needs

However I am experiencing an issue with my PC Video:

I have my PC (with NVIDIA GTX285 video card) connected via DVI - HDMI dongle -> 4' HDMI cable -> BD input on the receiver.

When I select the BD input, my TV screen remains black with [NO SIGNAL] box in the corner, the PC desktop cannot be seen.

If I select SAT/CBL input, I can watch TV & then if I select the BD input my PC desktop is now viewable.

This process works every time; almost as if the receiver needs a "boost" in signal in order to "jump-start" it.

I have tried moving my PC to another input; DVD for example & it operates exactly the same....that is to say DOES NOT OPERATE.

Should I try a longer or shorter HDMI cable, a better quality cable, modify some PC settings, change Denon settings?

I would appreciate your input & thanks in advance.

Make sure to try all the HDMI inputs as one may work better than the others. Additionally, if you haven't already review the HTPC section in the Troubleshooting Guide in post #3 ---> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_50#user_L12