Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Correct.

Correct.

what does the LPF for LFE does exactly? I change it but don't feel a real difference...

Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2033 Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by G37x View Post

what does the LPF for LFE does exactly? I change it but don't feel a real difference...

Thanks for all your help.

It is a low pass filter for the LFE. If you were to set it to 80hz, for example, frequencies above 80hz in the LFE signal would not pass to the sub. Another way to look at it would be that you are missing content between 80 and 120hz (depending on the encoding) that the engineer/mixer wanted to go to your sub. The filtered content is not redirected elsewhere.

Keep in mind this is entirely different than the xover for your mains and satellites.

It's not going to be a dramatic change, as most of the LFE content will be 80hz and below. If you could set it to 40hz, you would notice no doubt. Not that there would be a good reason to do that.

In most cases I'd say leave it at the highest setting.
post #333 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

On a different note when I stream pictures using a media server, sr6006 displays them all very crappy resolution like 1M or 2M...Why?

I have the same issue with the SR6006, all pictures are crap. I have contacted the customer service, initially they said that it was due to the picture`s resolution, but I told them that my pictures were taken with 3 different cameras, a 6MB cheap point-and-shoot, a 8 MP dSLR, and a 18 MP dSLR. They asked me to send them the pictures, I sent, but haven`t heard from them since then.

I'll try to contact them again. Please if you ever find out what the problem is, please let us know.

Thanks a lot,

Mongao
post #334 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

It is a low pass filter for the LFE. If you were to set it to 80hz, for example, frequencies above 80hz in the LFE signal would not pass to the sub. Another way to look at it would be that you are missing content between 80 and 120hz (depending on the encoding) that the engineer/mixer wanted to go to your sub. The filtered content is not redirected elsewhere.

Keep in mind this is entirely different than the xover for your mains and satellites.

It's not going to be a dramatic change, as most of the LFE content will be 80hz and below. If you could set it to 40hz, you would notice no doubt. Not that there would be a good reason to do that.

In most cases I'd say leave it at the highest setting.

Thank you!
post #335 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Since this is so helpful, I'm going to ask this also. I got this from amazon (for more than I was hoping) but anyways while doing the calibration there seems to be some noise coming from right surround (sort of static)..I don't hear this coming from any other speakers, and I did switch all around to eliminate wires speakers etc.. I don't hear it during music play out, but the volume it's louder..I will try to pause while playing a cd..Defect, should I exchange it?

Thanks.
post #336 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongao View Post

I have the same issue with the SR6006, all pictures are crap. I have contacted the customer service, initially they said that it was due to the picture`s resolution, but I told them that my pictures were taken with 3 different cameras, a 6MB cheap point-and-shoot, a 8 MP dSLR, and a 18 MP dSLR. They asked me to send them the pictures, I sent, but haven`t heard from them since then.

I'll try to contact them again. Please if you ever find out what the problem is, please let us know.

Thanks a lot,

Mongao

I also opened a case with them. This is ridiculous.
post #337 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I also opened a case with them. This is ridiculous.

How are you accessing the photos? Are you using USB? Are you using a DLNA server? What DLNA server?

What display are you using? What is its resolution? How is it connected to your Marantz? What are you video settings on the Marantz?

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #338 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

How are you accessing the photos? Are you using USB? Are you using a DLNA server? What DLNA server?

What display are you using? What is its resolution? How is it connected to your Marantz? What are you video settings on the Marantz?

via DLNA Servio Tversity you name it. Samsung UN65C8000 1080p, HDMI...What video settings?

Thanks!
post #339 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Please, why ?

Thnaks,

Mongao
post #340 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

Well, the pictures are stored in a QNAP server, I have different photos with different resolutions, if some of them appeared bad, I would understand, but not all of them - that appear perfectly when played through a Samsung media player.

I have a Toshiba 120 Hz TV, it`s connetced to the SR6006 through an HDMI cable.

Thanks,
Mongao
post #341 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Example:

80hz crossover for your mains will split the signal going to your mains in the following way:
Above 80hz --> Mains
Below 80hz --> Sub

Of course it is not a brickwall, so there will be some overlap.

The above has nothing to do with content in a surround mix programmed specifically for the subwoofer, which is the only thing influenced by the LPF of the LFE.

The LPF of the LFE is only referring to the content that is programmed into the LFE channel (the ".1" in 5.1) - content specifically directed to the subwoofer only.

If you set the LPF (low pass filter) of the LFE (low frequency effect) to 80hz, you are saying that you don't want anything above 80hz found in the LFE signal to be sent to your subwoofer (again, not a brickwall). An LFE signal may contain content up to 120hz, so in this case you could potentially be cutting out the 80-120 hz content, provided any was there to begin with.

The two settings have no influence on one another.

Quote:

Please, why ?

Thnaks,

Mongao

post #342 of 2033 Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Example:

80hz crossover for your mains will split the signal going to your mains in the following way:
Above 80hz --> Mains
Below 80hz --> Sub

Of course it is not a brickwall, so there will be some overlap.

The above has nothing to do with content in a surround mix programmed specifically for the subwoofer, which is the only thing influenced by the LPF of the LFE.

The LPF of the LFE is only referring to the content that is programmed into the LFE channel (the ".1" in 5.1) - content specifically directed to the subwoofer only.

If you set the LPF (low pass filter) of the LFE (low frequency effect) to 80hz, you are saying that you don't want anything above 80hz found in the LFE signal to be sent to your subwoofer (again, not a brickwall). An LFE signal may contain content up to 120hz, so in this case you could potentially be cutting out the 80-120 hz content, provided any was there to begin with.

The two settings have no influence on one another.

OK, thanks a lot !
post #343 of 2033 Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 AM

Question:

I'm pretty sure the LFE splits internal (somebody answered that on the 7005 thread) so runnning one sub out and splitting is not big deal.

How does Audyssey set distance for 2 subs running off of one sub out, and how does it eq a situation like that?

Also, how is video quality of the 6006? I am coming from Elite and I am trying to talk myself into Marantz because of Audyssey, but I have read video is not as good. The Elite has excellent video....I sold it a month ago and picture from the cable box to the TV is definitely worse than Elite upscaling to 1080p. Thanks.
post #344 of 2033 Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, how is video quality of the 6006? I am coming from Elite and I am trying to talk myself into Marantz because of Audyssey, but I have read video is not as good. The Elite has excellent video....I sold it a month ago and picture from the cable box to the TV is definitely worse than Elite upscaling to 1080p. Thanks.[/quote]

The video on the 6006 is quite good - better than the 6003. Note that the 6006 has video adjustments that you could use to refine the picture. I would only use them if I knew exactly what I was doing. I have a Panny plasma and the picture looks great.

Justin

Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50-GT30
Panasonic 58" Plasma TC-P58V10
Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMP-BDT 210 and 110
Marantz SR6006 (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers

post #345 of 2033 Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:

On a different note when I stream pictures using a media server, sr6006 displays them all very crappy resolution like 1M or 2M...Why?

Thank you!

I have the same problem, I sent some pictures to Marantz and that`s what they said:

"After looking at the dimensions of the pictures you sent, they are above the maximum dimensions and that is why you are experiencing this pixelization. The dimensions should be no more than 2500 x 2500. Try lowering the dimensions and you should be better with viewing these pictures."

I don`t really care that much, but I think that the equipment should be capable of handling the pictures generated by new "modern" cameras;

Mongao
post #346 of 2033 Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:

I have the same problem, I sent some pictures to Marantz and that`s what they said:

"After looking at the dimensions of the pictures you sent, they are above the maximum dimensions and that is why you are experiencing this pixelization. The dimensions should be no more than 2500 x 2500. Try lowering the dimensions and you should be better with viewing these pictures."

I don`t really care that much, but I think that the equipment should be capable of handling the pictures generated by new "modern" cameras;

Mongao

Agree, their ****** answer just doesn't cut it. They probably don't know these days you can buy a digital camera with res greater than 5M....
post #347 of 2033 Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Since this is so helpful, I'm going to ask this also. I got this from amazon (for more than I was hoping) but anyways while doing the calibration there seems to be some noise coming from right surround (sort of static)..I don't hear this coming from any other speakers, and I did switch all around to eliminate wires speakers etc.. I don't hear it during music play out, but the volume it's louder..I will try to pause while playing a cd..Defect, should I exchange it?

Thanks.

Guys, could you please comment on this?
post #348 of 2033 Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM

I just purchase sr6006 at the first work nice
But now if I chose USB or network this messege will apper " connect wait..."
And if I leave it for long time like this it well stop response
I can't connect to the network
Any ideas
post #349 of 2033 Old 11-25-2011, 02:04 AM

I've been searching high and low and can't find this answered clearly and concisely anywhere - can someone please help me out?

What exactly is the difference between the 5006 and the 6006, and is the 6006 worth the extra few hundred bucks?

Also, I posted this in some other threads/forums, but maybe one of you would have some insight. I'm buying my first home theater system, consisting of:

Klipsch RF-62 II (tower) front
RC-62 II center
RS-52 surround
PA-120 12" 200W RMS sub

The receivers I'm considering are:

Marantz 5006
Harman Kardon 2650
Harman Kardon 3650
Onkyo 709
Denon 2312
Pioneer 1121
Yamaha 810

Currently I'm leaning towards the Marantz 5006, but can get the HK 2650 for the same price, and can probably find the others for reasonable prices. I'm really having trouble deciding on the receiver.

Basically I'm not a power user, and am just interested in the following:

1) Reliability and stability - don't want it overheating, breaking, buggy, etc.
2) Sound quality, especially considering the speakers I have
3) Video quality should be good, upscaling only somewhat important, but it shouldn't make the video worse
4) Calibration and setup. I know the Marantz has the MultEQ XT, is that really the best of the lot?
5) Menu, options, usability - it just needs to work and do what I need without too much hassle.

I will only be connecting a couple sources of input and plan on using it as a 5.1 in only one zone for the forseeable future.

Anyone have a suggestion as to which receiver would be the best choice for me? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm not asking you to make my decision for me =)

Thanks!
post #350 of 2033 Old 11-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Is anyone else having issues with AirPlay since upgrading to iOS5? Before upgrading to iOS5 I was able to AirPlay stream directly thru my 5006 (no AppleTV). Since upgrading to iOS5 I don't see the AirPlay icon. I have the latest firmware on the 5006. I do have network in the Standby mode.
post #351 of 2033 Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckensto View Post

Is anyone else having issues with AirPlay since upgrading to iOS5? Before upgrading to iOS5 I was able to AirPlay stream directly thru my 5006 (no AppleTV). Since upgrading to iOS5 I don't see the AirPlay icon. I have the latest firmware on the 5006. I do have network in the Standby mode.

It works perfectly fine from my iPad with OS5.

I can use AirPlay with Safari, MOG (I use the iPhone app, must touch the Volume+/- hard button to see the AirPlay icon), YouTube, etc..
post #352 of 2033 Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Figure out the AirPlay issue after upgrading to iOS 5. A Linksys router media server setting seemed to jar things loose even though I had not changed this setting after upgrading to iOs 5. In fact I toggled it back and it still works.?

I still wish the screen on net media stuff didnt look so 80s...
post #353 of 2033 Old 11-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Hi all,

I am considering ordering the OPPO player, please would the SR6006 read the SACD/DVD-Audio signal through the HDMI connection ? Or would I have to come up with 7 analog wires ?

Thanks,

Mongao
post #354 of 2033 Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HDMI would be fine with the Oppo.
post #355 of 2033 Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

HDMI would be fine with the Oppo.

Thanks, I remember having read somewhere that the Marantz does not "read" DSD signals, which in my understanding is the SACD standard; also, in the SR6006 manual there is no mention about SACD`s or DVD-Audio at all, hence my question.

Thanks,

Mongao
post #356 of 2033 Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
^^
The Oppo can convert the DSD to multi channel PCM and pass it over HDMI to the 6006 which will then play it.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #357 of 2033 Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The Oppo can convert the DSD to multi channel PCM and pass it over HDMI to the 6006 which will then play it.

Thanks !

Mongao
post #358 of 2033 Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks, everyone. I was going back and forth between sr5006, sr6006, and some Denon's and this thread really helped me make up my mind. I went for the sr5006. BB had a receiver sale this past weekend and marked them down $100 so I took the plunge. I wanted the 6006 but couldn't justify the extra $400 for a little more power, 7.1 pre-outs, pro Audyssey and a phono stage. To be honest, I only want to add a separate 2 channel amp at some point for music. The 5006 gives you 2.2 pre-outs and that's good enough for me. The receiver's power is more than enough for HT in my house with my setup.

Mog on Mac through Airfoil to Airplay is amazing. I didn't really need the Airplay feature (have an Apple TV) but it works pretty well. Mog definitely sounds a lot better than Pandora (128kbps).

The only problem I'm having is that Harmony remote is not up to date with Marantz. Used 6005 settings, which helped, but it still only does about half of what it should do. Anybody find a better solution, short of manually teaching the Harmony.

Thanks again. Next stop, upgrade the speakers. Currently using NHT SB-2's in front with superzero centers and Sunfire sub. Need some rear surrounds, too. What speakers are people running with the Marantz?

Marty
post #359 of 2033 Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Picked up my brand new SR5006 Yesterday, setup went easily.
I haven't ran the Audyssey yet but so far, so good. All the HDMI synch seem to work well, when I switch inputs and turn on/off devices everything acts like it's supposed to.

2 things I found odd, and may just be bad knowledge on my part.

I thought the video upscalling would automatically adjust everything (except OTA broadcasts of course) to 1080p. But, when I watch, for example, my STB which is set at 720p and goes through the "SAT" input of the Marantz SR5006, pressing the info button on my Panasonic VT25 remote still shows as 720p input. So, the Marantz does NOT output 1080p to my TV. Why?

Also, I can no longer control the TV volume through the STB. It normally ranges from 0 et 25, but only when I put it at 0 it mutes the volume, but from 1 to 25 makes zero difference, I have to adjust the volume through the Marantz master volume control. With my old receiver, I could adjust the colume with whichever I felt. Again, why?

I'm new to the HDMI synch world in A/V devices... my previous receiver was a 1993 model!
post #360 of 2033 Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
^^^

1) you need to tell the avr to perform video processing on that input....

2) go into your set top box menu. somewhere in there, there will be an option called something similar to "hdmi audio". change that from "fixed" to "variable".*

*note: i would not want it to work the way you want... 2 different attenuators in a chain is just asking for trouble...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page